July 31, 2014, 01:37:23 PM

Author Topic: 6D Mark II  (Read 45267 times)

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
Re: 6D Mark II
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2013, 08:49:12 PM »
The PowerShot S100 got a firmware update to fix minor issues.  Just sayin'...   ;)

Ok, I wouldn't know about that - so I'll modify my statement to only include feature upgrades or fixes that could be counted as feature upgrades (like other min. shutter speeds for the 6d) :-o

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2013, 08:49:12 PM »

Lichtgestalt

« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2013, 08:54:22 PM »
what exactly needs to be "fixed"?

This comes to mind (ask me again when my 6d arrives :-p)

• Multipoint af servo not properly handing over focus from one point to the others, esp. not selecting the center point (CarlTN keeps mentioning this)
  • Braindead crippling that hdr source files cannot be saved
  • Crippled min. shutter in av (1/250s is the fastest? Canon, you gotta be joking! Hail to ML!)
  • Crippled feature -> button allocation vs. 5d3
  • GPS off on power down, auto-enable on power up

a lot of that are not fixes in my eyes.
you could complain about missing features all day but that´s not the same as errors that need to be "fixed".

•Crippled feature -> button allocation vs. 5d3

how do you think canon can fix the button layout with firmware?  lol

Crippled min. shutter in av (1/250s is the fastest? Canon, you gotta be joking! Hail to ML!)[/

care to explain what you mean with that?

don´t say you believe, that when you shot in AV the 6D will not go to, lets say, 1/1000s if it needs to. then you believe a bad 1. april joke or some nikon troll.
but you are sure not that silly?!

anyway i really don´t understand what you mean with that and you may mean something entirely different?

but i can assure you the 6D shoots (like my 5D MK3) much faster and much slower then 1/250s in AV mode.  ;)
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 09:12:10 PM by Lichtgestalt »

Janbo Makimbo

• EOS M2
  • 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2013, 08:56:08 PM »
EOS M has had fixes as have many other 'non premium' models...

Yes, but only because the af was practically broken on delivery - I was talking of feature upgrades to stable products or fixes of smaller issues

The PowerShot S100 got a firmware update to fix minor issues.  Just sayin'...   ;)

I dont think that was to fix focus like the 5d mkiii..... !!

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2013, 08:57:09 PM »
The D600 has come to have a bad reputation, and sales are reportedly very slow.  When this happens, a manufacturer often releases a minor update, perhaps with fixes for the issues.  Since the specifications are reportedly identical, it seems to be a cosmetic change, maybe even some internal redesign to make it cheaper to produce.  Canon certainly does that on occasion.

The new model can thus accomplish  several things.
1, Cheaper to build
2.  It gets buyers that must have the latest model.
3.  If the issues are fixed, it will have a good reputation.
4.  It avoids having to issue a recall or service bulletin to fix the old model. (the official story is that the new one is improved rather than it fixes problems and is cheaper to build)

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2013, 09:29:14 PM »
Crippled min. shutter in av (1/250s is the fastest? Canon, you gotta be joking! Hail to ML!)[/

care to explain what you mean with that?

don´t say you believe, that when you shot in AV the 6D will not go to, lets say, 1000/s if it needs to. then you believe a bad 1. april joke or some nikon troll.
but you sure not that silly?!

anyway i really don´t understand what you mean with that and you may mean something entirely different?

1/1000 s would be a higher shutter speed than 1/250 s, which is the other direction from minimum.

The scenario is you're shooting action in Av mode (yes, I know, why would anyone do that, but don't ask, mmmmkay?), and you don't want the camera to drop below a certain shutter speed needed to freeze that action.  The 'Min shutter speed in Av' is quite useful for shooting people - in Av mode with Auto ISO, the default behavior is to drop the shutter speed to 1/FL (1/1.6xFL on APS-C), then start raising the ISO.  With a wide lens, that means you might get 1/25 s shutter speeds and even 'still' people showing motion blur.

But I think Canon's idea for the setting is shooting people (not action/sports), where 1/250 s is more than sufficient to freeze motion.  Faster, you should be in Tv, or if you want to control DoF too, use M.  Note that I'm saying that's Canon's idea, not mine.  I do sometimes use the shutter speed restriction (different setting than min shutter in Av) on the 1D X to get a 1/500 s min shutter in Av mode. However, that's in a very specific scenario - shooting perched birds in dim light with the 600 II -/+ 1.4xIII, where I want the little bit lower ISO, and the IS means camera shake isn't an issue.  But in general, I think 1/250 s is reasonable as a highest min shutter speed.

OTOH, I do think there's a problem with the feature, in that it's either-or. Say you set a min shutter of 1/60 s, which is often enough to freeze typical random motions of people.  Great for your 24-70, no blurry people. But if you put on a 200mm lens, it'll still drop the shutter to 1/60 s, and if your lens doesn't have IS, you'll get blur from camera shake instead. I think an implementation where it uses the min shutter setting or 1/FL, whichever is faster, would be better.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

duydaniel

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2013, 10:47:00 PM »
6D2 with:
+ Dual sd slots
+ dual sensors like the 70D to focus live view
+ AA filter removed (optional)

x-vision

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2013, 11:09:59 PM »
... and only after the 5d4 is here.

+1

Canon cannot update the 6D in a meaningful way without stepping on the 5DIII's toes.
So, next in line for an update is definitely the 5DIII.

The 5DIV might get announced as early as next year, IMO.
Possibly in September before the Photokina show (??).
After that, the 5DIII and 5DIV will sell side by side for a while.
And only after that the 6D will get updated.
In the summer of 2015 the earliest, IMO.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 11:16:46 PM by x-vision »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2013, 11:09:59 PM »

ishdakuteb

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2013, 11:42:01 PM »
6D2 with:

umm.... did not know that 70d has dual sensors? it is kinda cheap with the current price if it does  ;D just kidding, i think you are talking about dual pixel right? and i guess the answer is yes, canon will more likely put that new tech. into any dslr coming after 70d...
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 11:47:10 PM by ishdakuteb »

duydaniel

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2013, 12:06:58 AM »
6D2 with:

umm.... did not know that 70d has dual sensors? it is kinda cheap with the current price if it does  ;D just kidding, i think you are talking about dual pixel right? and i guess the answer is yes, canon will more likely put that new tech. into any dslr coming after 70d...

yep lol

batotman

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2013, 12:22:48 AM »
Would not expect it until 2016. But then we will plunge into 1000 years of darkness. Or Chuck Norris will die, one or the other.

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2013, 02:18:16 AM »
•Crippled feature -> button allocation vs. 5d3
how do you think canon can fix the button layout with firmware?  lol

rotfl :-) ... it's about *allocation* of functions to buttons like set or dof preview which leaves out some very obvious and potentially useful options for no apparent reason.

As for *min* shutter speed please refer to neuro's explanation - yes, it might be designed for portraits and x-sync, but it further nails down the 6d as a non-action shooting camera because here you often need higher min (<- note this part :-)) speeds like 1/500 or 1/1000 ... I set these on my 60d with Magic Lantern.

Last not least, the difference between "broken by design" that can be "fixed" and just a missing feature certainly is subjective, I consider the firmware/software issued I mentioned as at least changeable with no big work on Canon's part.

And only after that the 6D will get updated. In the summer of 2015 the earliest, IMO.

... and then it might again start being hideously overpriced and you have to wait 3/4 of a year for a reasonable price just like the 6d now seems to have settled @1500€ with the 70 €1200€ ... so now is a good time to get a 6d, that's why I did it.

duydaniel

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2013, 03:31:43 AM »
Canon can fix buttons allocation by mass recall 5D3.
you have problem with that?  ::)

Janbo Makimbo

• EOS M2
  • 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2013, 04:05:51 AM »
6D2 with:

yup but it is a ap-c aimed at amatuers!

« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 04:25:53 AM by Janbo Makimbo »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2013, 04:05:51 AM »

learncanon

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2013, 04:43:35 AM »
This is my interpretation:

Since 6D is built close to 5Dm2 spec and 70D is built close to 7D spec except for a few minor differences, the 6Dmk2 would be built close to 5D3 while retaining its small size and multi-directional dial (whatever you call it). 5D4 would come first.

Janbo Makimbo

• EOS M2
  • 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2013, 04:49:39 AM »
This is my interpretation:

Since 6D is built close to 5Dm2 spec and 70D is built close to 7D spec except for a few minor differences, the 6Dmk2 would be built close to 5D3 while retaining its small size and multi-directional dial (whatever you call it). 5D4 would come first.
+1

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2013, 04:49:39 AM »