September 02, 2014, 06:10:24 AM

Author Topic: 6D Mark II  (Read 48078 times)

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
Re: 6D Mark II
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2013, 04:53:17 AM »
the 6Dmk2 would be built close to 5D3 while retaining its small size and multi-directional dial (whatever you call it).

This sounds like Canon, and would make the 6d2 an excellent camera, just like the 70d (and unlike the 6d1...).

But this is another reason why the 6d2 will take some time to arrive - with a 5d3-type camera you can do just about everything, so either Canon has to cripple the 6d2 (like video with extra moire, 20mb/s sd-card write speed, 1/2000s shutter, 50k shutter cycles :->)  or raise the price or less people will get interested in the 5d4.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2013, 04:53:17 AM »

pedro

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2013, 05:43:44 AM »
the 6Dmk2 would be built close to 5D3 while retaining its small size and multi-directional dial (whatever you call it).

This sounds like Canon, and would make the 6d2 an excellent camera, just like the 70d (and unlike the 6d1...).

But this is another reason why the 6d2 will take some time to arrive - with a 5d3-type camera you can do just about everything, so either Canon has to cripple the 6d2 (like video with extra moire, 20mb/s sd-card write speed, 1/2000s shutter, 50k shutter cycles :->)  or raise the price or less people will get interested in the 5d4.

Canon may hardly dare to raise the price of the 5DIV. I guess the raise in price of the 5D3 was due to what was to follow: the 6D. In case of my 5D3 I am really looking forward to the 5D4. I won't be in the game for a purchase, but I am eager to see what will happen with ISO 25k and beyond high ISO IQ. Maybe some incremental improvements like 1/2 stop but this might give me us an ISO 25kish ISO 51k on the 5D5 in RAW... 8)
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 05:45:16 AM by pedro »
30D, EF-S 10-22/ 5DIII, 16-35 F/2.8 L USM II, 28 F/2.8, 50 F/1.4, 85 F/1.8, 70-200 F/2.8 classic,
join me at http://www.flickr.com/groups/insane_isos/

Lichtgestalt

« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2013, 06:37:03 AM »
Crippled min. shutter in av (1/250s is the fastest? Canon, you gotta be joking! Hail to ML!)[/

care to explain what you mean with that?

don´t say you believe, that when you shot in AV the 6D will not go to, lets say, 1000/s if it needs to. then you believe a bad 1. april joke or some nikon troll.
but you sure not that silly?!

anyway i really don´t understand what you mean with that and you may mean something entirely different?

1/1000 s would be a higher shutter speed than 1/250 s, which is the other direction from minimum.

anyway, from his post i got the impression he means AV mode is per se not going faster then 1/250s.  :)
my bad..

and i guess because i never used that option (what option is it?) i still don´t get it.
what do i have to do exacly to see this limitation?
i shoot all day in AV and my shutterspeeds usually go from 0.8 seconds to 1/4000s.

i tested Auto ISO (what i normally never use) but even with that my shutterspeds are going slower then 1/250.... 1/80s or 1/25s... and they are goings faster 1/2000s etc.

edit: ok forget it i found it.  ;)
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 07:03:37 AM by Lichtgestalt »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2013, 07:00:50 AM »
Crippled min. shutter in av (1/250s is the fastest? Canon, you gotta be joking! Hail to ML!)[/

don´t say you believe, that when you shot in AV the 6D will not go to, lets say, 1000/s if it needs to. then you believe a bad 1. april joke or some nikon troll.

anyway i really don´t understand what you mean with that and you may mean something entirely different?

1/1000 s would be a higher shutter speed than 1/250 s, which is the other direction from minimum.

in case you did not notice he wrote also "is the FASTEST?".
well 1/1000s is faster...

anyway, from his post i got the imporession he means AV mode is pers se not going faster then 1/250s.  :)

Yes, 1/250 s is the fastest setting available for the Min shutter spd setting, which ranges from 1 s up to 1/250 s in full-stop increments. Regardless, it seems you now know he was referring to the 'Minimum shutter speed for Auto ISO' setting.

On 1-series bodies, you can actually restrict the shutter speed to not go faster than 1/250 s, or any other speed up to 1/4000 s, if you choose; you can restrict aperture in the same way (useful to maintain a minimum DoF in Tv mode).
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Lichtgestalt

« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2013, 07:05:29 AM »

in case you did not notice he wrote also "is the FASTEST?".
well 1/1000s is faster...

anyway, from his post i got the imporession he means AV mode is pers se not going faster then 1/250s.  :)

Yes, 1/250 s is the fastest setting available for the Min shutter spd setting, which ranges from 1 s up to 1/250 s in full-stop increments. Regardless, it seems you now know he was referring to the 'Minimum shutter speed for Auto ISO' setting.

On 1-series bodies, you can actually restrict the shutter speed to not go faster than 1/250 s, or any other speed up to 1/4000 s, if you choose; you can restrict aperture in the same way (useful to maintain a minimum DoF in Tv mode).

i found that option and now it makes sense, seeing it in action.
never used it before.

as i already guessed he meant something entirely different then i thought.  :D

normaly i have to fight the other direction.
that my shutterspeed goes not faster then the x-sync.

i can honestly say i never used Auto ISO since i have gone digital.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 07:24:00 AM by Lichtgestalt »

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2013, 07:32:02 AM »

Opinions are divided on this, but imho auto iso is one of the primary advancements of the digital age, with today's cameras a couple of stops don't show (much) and you can either use m (though Canon lacks ec on m) or Av for changing lighting conditions - but for the latter you either need a 5d3/6d/1dx or Magic Lantern to set the min. shutter speed, or the Canon algorithm will go to low to shoot anything moving.

Lichtgestalt

« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2013, 08:34:40 AM »
Opinions are divided on this, but imho auto iso is one of the primary advancements of the digital age, with today's cameras a couple of stops don't show (much)

i do see the usefullness for some.

it´s just that i don´t need it.
in the studio i have plenty of light and i may be oldschool but i always try to take as much control as possible.

i shoot mostly M in the studio but AV is nice too.

will give it a try for casual/snapshots.

« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 08:37:17 AM by Lichtgestalt »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2013, 08:34:40 AM »

x-vision

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2013, 01:30:22 PM »

The problem with the 6D is that it was apparently conceived when the 5DIII specs were frozen.
So, not much breathing room for Canon to give it proper specs.

Going forward, I'm not sure that the 6DII will be build close to the 5DIII.
I do expect, though, that the 6DII will be properly differentiated from the 5DIV - without having to be crippled.

We'll see what happens.
Body size (form factor in general) will surely remain a key differentiator between the two.

iaind

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2013, 02:39:02 PM »
 Specs are always going to be less than current 5d series.

CPS membership lists it as a silver body ie non professional .
5DIII + BGE11 / 5DII + BGE6 / 40D + BGE2N /8-15 4L / 17-35 2.8L / 24 3.5L TS-E /24-70 2.8II L / 24-105 4L IS /Zuiko 50 1.4/ 100 2.8L Macro IS / 70-200 2.8L / 300 4L / 100-400L

mackguyver

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Work
« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2013, 02:51:11 PM »
For those of us who waited, and waited, and waited, (and mostly gave up waiting and bought a 5DII), on the 5DIII, I think you're in for a very long wait on the 6DII.  FFs don't evolve as quickly and with the economic climate, a firmware update (like the 7D) is more likely in the next 2-3 years before you see a 6DII.
EOS 1D X, 5DIII, M + EF 24 f/1.4II, 50 f/1.2, 85 f/1.2II, 300 f/2.8 IS II || 16-35 f/4 IS, 24-70 f/2.8II, 70-200 f/2.8II || TS-E 17 f/4, 24 f/3.5II || M 22 f/2, 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 IS || 1.4x III, 2x III

mkabi

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2013, 04:05:16 PM »

Opinions are divided on this, but imho auto iso is one of the primary advancements of the digital age, with today's cameras a couple of stops don't show (much) and you can either use m (though Canon lacks ec on m) or Av for changing lighting conditions - but for the latter you either need a 5d3/6d/1dx or Magic Lantern to set the min. shutter speed, or the Canon algorithm will go to low to shoot anything moving.

I have to agree with Lichtgestalt.

I think Auto ISO is for the lazy people or people that don't know anything about photography or video. Even with "today's" cameras... how do you let a camera's logic decide how much noise is acceptable in your pictures or video?

In my humble opinion, its like auto-white balance, you know you're a novice if you're still using auto-white balance.
Canon 7D - EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L, EF - 20mm f/2.8, EF 50mm f/1.4, EF 100mm f/2.0, Custom Cine 50mm & Custom Cine 35mm

sdsr

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2013, 05:25:42 PM »
The D600 has come to have a bad reputation, and sales are reportedly very slow.  When this happens, a manufacturer often releases a minor update, perhaps with fixes for the issues.  Since the specifications are reportedly identical, it seems to be a cosmetic change, maybe even some internal redesign to make it cheaper to produce.  Canon certainly does that on occasion.

I hope it's more than cosmetic and instead fixes the oil/dirt splatter problem which affects the sensors of so many D600s, even refurbished ones.  If they fixed that, even if they didn't remove the drab green tint from the viewfinder (it would be unrealistic to expect them to ditch its typical Nikon ergonomics...) it would be a very appealing camera.

DRR

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 24, 2013, 05:26:07 PM »

In my humble opinion, its like auto-white balance, you know you're a novice if you're still using auto-white balance.

I don't use Auto ISO but I can't disagree more about Auto white balance. Many styles of shooting do not allow you the additional time it requires to set white balance. Similarly, the same types of shooting may have differing lighting conditions and temperatures. Shooting RAW enables you to have a great variance in white balance after the fact. So much so that it's practically unnecessary to set WB ahead of time.

Now I am not disparaging those who do - if you have the time and the inclination, please do so - but for me, the time I take to set WB makes absolutely no difference to the quality of the photograph because it's a fully reversible setting (unlike ISO.)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: September 24, 2013, 05:26:07 PM »

rs

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 24, 2013, 05:29:40 PM »
I think Auto ISO is for the lazy people or people that don't know anything about photography or video. Even with "today's" cameras... how do you let a camera's logic decide how much noise is acceptable in your pictures or video?

If you shoot raw, setting the white balance during capture time is nothing more than a guide for the raw processor. No second guessing during the decisive moment can produce results as close to your desired look as PP with raw - ignore the WB setting at capture and setting it accurately using a calibrated monitor in controlled conditions.

I don't have meaningful auto ISO on any of my cameras, but I'd love to be able to have that option. The ability to directly control depth of field, have the shutter speed hang around the pre-programmed range I need to stop action, and let the camera control the ISO with me still having exposure compensation would transform my sports event shooting. Its a real pain to use Tv to control shutter speed, and continually move the ISO around to gain indirect DoF control.

As you implied using auto settings is a sign of being a novice, I presume you're not shooting jpeg - so why care about controlling WB in camera when you have full control after the event?
5D II | 24-70 II | 70-200 II | 100L | 40 | Sigma 50/1.4 | 40D | 10-22 | 17-55 | 580 EX II | 1.4x TC II

unfocused

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #44 on: September 24, 2013, 05:31:52 PM »
For those of us who waited, and waited, and waited, (and mostly gave up waiting and bought a 5DII), on the 5DIII, I think you're in for a very long wait on the 6DII.  FFs don't evolve as quickly and with the economic climate, a firmware update (like the 7D) is more likely in the next 2-3 years before you see a 6DII.

Not sure I agree with that. The 6D is basically a full frame version of a 60/70D and Canon tends to have shorter refresh cycles at the lower end. Of course, since the 6D is the first in the series, no one knows for sure, but I can certainly see Canon deciding to refresh it before they refresh the 5DIII. There is a sufficiently large gap in features between the 5DIII and 6D to allow for small improvements without significantly affecting sales of the 5DIII. Add the 70D's on-sensor focusing, add a few more autofocus points, maybe improve the weather-sealing slightly, GPS or other bells and whistles and call it good.

So that's what makes someone a novice? I would think that more novices shoot in JPG and need to adjust the white balance than those who shoot in RAW and generally don't need to worry about the white balance selected by the camera. (Sorry for basically duplicating the comments of others. I see several replies came in while I was typing).
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: September 24, 2013, 05:31:52 PM »