October 24, 2014, 08:11:30 AM

Author Topic: Beginner DSLR for video  (Read 1580 times)

alm723

Beginner DSLR for video
« on: October 31, 2011, 07:14:24 PM »
Short version:
I have never owned anything but a point and shoot camera but am interested in learning how to use manual features. I primarily want to do video but would use it to shoot stills from time to time. I have heard good things about the T3i and it is a little more than I initially wanted to spend but if I can find it on sale I think I might go for it. Any thoughts on this camera for a beginner?

Long version:
I've been interested in video shooting and editing since high school (I'm 23) but have never had a great camera to use for it. I had a Samsung camcorder that I used for awhile but it took Mini DV tapes and it stopped letting me transfer footage to my computer so that was the end of that. Since then all I've had is a Canon p&s and a Flip MinoHD (yes, I know it sucks) plus whatever I could convince friends to let me borrow.

I have a close videographer friend that shoots with a 7D and a close photographer friend that shoots with a 5Dmkii. Both have graciously let me play with their cameras and I fell in love with Canon DSLRs. I was initially interested in getting a T2i since it is one of the lowest end DSLRs but noticed that the T3i kits are only $100 more and seem to perform a fair amount better. Maybe that is an incorrect observation.

Basically I know next to nothing but am willing to learn. I work fairly long hours in public accounting so this would just be a weekend hobby. As mentioned above, I am looking primarily at video features, but of course if I had a DSLR I would take photos with it when the opportunity arises.

Question:
Any advice or cameras that I'm overlooking? I don't think I'm willing to spend over $1000 on a body+lens kit. I'm still working on justifying that to myself considering how little experience I have. Or do you know of a good place to look for deals? I'm not in a rush so I can wait a little while for a good deal if necessary. I would also be interested in bundles that include accessories since I'm starting from scratch.

Thanks for your help!

canon rumors FORUM

Beginner DSLR for video
« on: October 31, 2011, 07:14:24 PM »

NormanBates

• Canon 7D MK II
  • www.similaar.com
    • View Profile
    • www.similaar.com
Re: Beginner DSLR for video
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2011, 08:11:47 PM »
and luckily, my basic photography tutorial went online just yesterday!!

tired of explaining the same stuff over and over to friends and family (it seems everybody is taking up photography in the last few months), I decided to write everything down, shoot some examples, and post it on the web, so more people can use it

the result is a basic foto turorial, which presents the fundamental aspects but avoids getting into more detail than strictly necessary (what I would have liked to have at hand when I started with this)

it reaches a relatively advanced level (with sections about bokeh and microadjustment, and a whole chapter about video) without stopping much in the way, just presenting the concepts and showing a few examples

here:
http://www.similaar.com/foto/tuten/index.html

there's also a section about equipment recommendations, with a lot of info about cameras, with special attention to video (which is what I do)
http://www.similaar.com/foto/equipment/index.html

enjoy!!

« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 08:19:18 PM by NormanBates »

AJ

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2011, 11:29:26 PM »
The T3i is a really nice camera.  Go for it!!  Be sure to get the two kit lenses, 18-55 and 55-250.
You may be able to save some by getting a T2i.

alm723

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2011, 12:02:44 AM »
Thanks to both of you. I will definitely make sure to factor in a 2nd lens when I'm weighing my options. And I will definitely check out your site once I get my camera.

Can anyone give me an overview of the biggest differences between the T2i and T3i? Obviously there are external differences like the flip out LCD screen on the T3i. It seems like the main differences between them have to do with video features so I'm thinking it may be worth it for me. Is the actual video quality going to be different between the two or is it just a matter of features?

NormanBates

• Canon 7D MK II
  • www.similaar.com
    • View Profile
    • www.similaar.com
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2011, 06:21:22 AM »
I have them detailed here:
http://www.similaar.com/foto/equipment/us_cam.html

in summary: only the flip screen and the 3x crop mode

canon rumors FORUM