July 31, 2014, 03:48:41 PM

Author Topic: Big 5D Mark II Price Drops in Canada & USA  (Read 30528 times)

Osiris30

Re: Big 5D Mark II Price Drops in Canada & USA
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2011, 11:27:46 AM »
MK5GTI
RE: i heard rumors that this batch of 5D2 is affected by nuclear pollution from Japan.....  ;)

I think you should detail where you "heard" those rumors because that would really affect all their business!

I think you should pay more attention to when someone makes a post that is clearly a joke and even ends it with a wink emoticon...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2011, 11:27:46 AM »

ecka

• 6D
  • Size matters ;)
    • View Profile
    • flickr
« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2011, 12:17:20 PM »
I have a different theory  :)
During the announcement season (now) people are buying less gear, because they are waiting for the new stuff. So, retailers are lowering prices just to maintain decent sales. There is -10% discount at the local store for ALL Canon products till the end of the month. Can you predict anything based on that? Like if there is something coming it will be next month? BTW, they (the store) are making various discounts all the time, but the new gear is not coming because of that.
In other words, we are the reason of the price drops. There is a simple rule to make manufacturers produce good stuff - you don't like it, you don't buy it!
FF + primes !

unfocused

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
Re: Big 5D Mark II Price Drops in Canada & USA (Update)
« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2011, 12:46:23 PM »
I have a different theory  :)
During the announcement season (now) people are buying less gear, because they are waiting for the new stuff. So, retailers are lowering prices just to maintain decent sales. There is -10% discount at the local store for ALL Canon products till the end of the month. Can you predict anything based on that? Like if there is something coming it will be next month? BTW, they (the store) are making various discounts all the time, but the new gear is not coming because of that.

Actually, this makes sense to me. The price drops seem to be coming from individual stores and not from a system-wide cut by Canon. It could just be an indication of retailers trying to move stock. Also, remember retailers are just as susceptible to bad rumors as the people on this site.

They don't want to get caught with "old" merchandise, so they may be trying to move stock now. Keep in mind that they don't know any more about when Canon might announce something than you do, they just get worried and decide they better try to move some product. Could be for a variety of other reasons as well: improve their third quarter sales numbers, try to generate sales of accessory items, "our competitor just cut the price, they must know something," etc.

As for the rebates, well...if they are typical they'll require that the retailers raise the starting price to the MSRP and take the discount from that. We know from past experience that such rebates don't necessarily translate into bargains for consumers. (Update: At least one other site has pegged the rebate at $100 for the 5D)

Finally, I go back to my alternative theory: IF canon is behind the price cuts (and I don't see any evidence that they are) it could be a signal that a 5D Mk III is NOT coming anytime soon. They may want to flood the market in order to stop competitors from gaining market share and to buy them time until they release a new model next year.

Think about it. Why would Canon entice people to buy the 5D MkII now and then introduce a new model a month later? That only does two things:
  • It expends the consumer's discretionary dollars, undermining the sales and launch of the new model and;
  • it's bad PR when consumers whine that they just bought a MkII and now a month later a new model comes out.

I know that this site is filled with people who read the tea leaves trying to find signs that confirm what they want to believe. I just suggest everyone take a deep breath and consider some simple alternative explanations.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 10:28:08 PM by unfocused »
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

kenken

« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2011, 06:54:21 AM »

trulandphoto

• Power Shot G16
  • Upstate NY attorney and photographer
    • View Profile
    • TrulandPhoto
« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2011, 07:04:45 AM »
http://www.usa.canon.com/CUSA/assets/app/pdf/Promotions/camera/eos_5dmk2_092511_rebate.pdf

Err...$100 instant rebate for the 5D II in the US lol...

No kidding. Guess the title of the thread needs to change. :(

Aaron78

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2011, 07:59:38 AM »
With all the talk of other countries having big price drops, i anticipated (hoped) we might see $400-500 off. Darn, i planned on buying one, but now i'll just wait for the mark III

Canon 14-24

« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2011, 01:33:18 PM »
dang such a disappointment i was also planning on getting one as well. real tempted to just get one shipped from canada for $2k...the only difference is the 1 year warranty from a us version?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2011, 01:33:18 PM »

elflord

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2011, 04:35:42 PM »
dang such a disappointment i was also planning on getting one as well. real tempted to just get one shipped from canada for $2k...the only difference is the 1 year warranty from a us version?

Canon sells the refurbished version for $2000 in their online store. They usually sell out pretty quickly, but if you check the site each day for a little while, you should be able to pick one up. If you can do without the full warranty, it's a deal.

darklord

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2011, 05:49:27 PM »
Got it at Futureshop for $2K with 4 year service plan included. I know the service plan is not worth the paper it is written on but they won't budge on the price so I just took it.

Steve Campbell

« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2011, 06:43:26 PM »
Yesterday I picked up a new 5D II kit with the 24-105 lens for $2749.00 Canadian at a local reputable shop. I was holding out for a 5D III but at this price I couldn't resist! Used bodies are being offered at $2200.00 still.

darklord

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 25, 2011, 06:47:47 PM »
Buying the 5D2+24-105 makes sense.  You can get $900 at least for a brand new 24-105.  Anyone knows where to pick up a 5D2 grip on the cheap?

Canon 14-24

« Reply #41 on: September 25, 2011, 08:50:32 PM »
Went ahead with a purchase from Canada to the US for ~$1950ish converted to USD for a brand new body. I am still amazed at people on my local craigslist not budging with prices around $2100+.

opiuman

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 26, 2011, 12:10:30 AM »
Went ahead with a purchase from Canada to the US for ~$1950ish converted to USD for a brand new body. I am still amazed at people on my local craigslist not budging with prices around $2100+.

Which store/website did you use? I am not familiar with the Canadian reputable stores so I'm a bit hesitant to just randomly pick one.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: September 26, 2011, 12:10:30 AM »

lewisphoto

« Reply #43 on: September 26, 2011, 10:42:15 AM »
I am also in the US and thinking about buying the 5d from a canadian store. I have looked at Henry's. $2000 plus on $13 for shipping. Has anyone else done this? Am I a fool to do this? Normally I buy everything through B&H but $400 is a decent price difference...

Canon 14-24

« Reply #44 on: September 26, 2011, 11:14:23 AM »
yea i did Henry's it was cheaper shipping than the other one, and i am not 100% positive but i believe that $2000 listed is not converted to USD

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: September 26, 2011, 11:14:23 AM »