September 22, 2014, 10:23:09 PM

Author Topic: New Video Camera Information? [CR1]  (Read 4724 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
New Video Camera Information? [CR1]
« on: September 21, 2011, 08:16:49 PM »
From a forum post Below is a post that appeared on the GTC forum in the UK.  Apparently they will be appearing in November, as we’ve reported previously.

“They will be badged as EOS, despite the fact they are video cameras, and there will be two versions – one for EF lenses, the other with an PL mount. I’m guessing here but the PL mount camera may offer more options than the EF version – e.g. SDI out and genlock… etc in the same way that the XF300/305 cameras have differentiated themselves.

“Its a Super35 4K sensor, but from what I have seen only records 1080 in-camera, using the same XF codec – i.e. 4:2:2 @ 50mbps. Perhaps the PL version will output 4K thru SDI?

“The size of the camera looks similar to that of the FS100, but more rounded/ergonomic. It has a similar LCD screen on top, but it seems more flexible – i.e. allowing for greater viewing angle/for versatility.

“This could be a killer camera, and one well worth waiting for if any of you guys are thinking of buying a F3/FS100 or AF100…”

A wish list, or something to it?

Via [HDM]

cr 

« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 08:20:28 PM by Canon Rumors »
canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

New Video Camera Information? [CR1]
« on: September 21, 2011, 08:16:49 PM »

Shnookums

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Re: New Video Camera Information? [CR1]
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 08:38:34 PM »
Interesting details in this message.

I'm not a video pro at all but I would guess that if Canon comes out with a video camera that has those specs with a relatively low price (compared to RED), it would be very appealing for video people :)

Some video pro must be wishing this was true.

Dave

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 10:42:33 PM »
Interesting details
Yop, sounds TOO detailed to me, to be just a nice wish...

Edwin Herdman

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2011, 01:45:21 AM »
The genlock / etc differentiation between models doesn't make sense (though it's obviously the rumor-monger's speculations) because PL mount will be adopted by those who need PL mount lens compatibility - either they are set to use PL mount, are comfortable with it, or already have a source on PL mount lenses they're familiar with.  Crippling the EF mount by not making those options would hurt any reason for them to invest in video-friendly (i.e. parfocal and non-breathing) EF mount lenses.  It's interesting that Canon has moved to PL mount - I suppose to grab at the high end or even just the serious production market, it was unavoidable.  But they aren't going to miss chances to further market penetration of their own standard at the same time.

I ought to do a comparison to see if a PL mount would be possible as a "dummy" adapter over a EF mount...electronically it's possible but not sure about the mechanical size.

Gothmoth

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2011, 04:18:00 AM »
they put a sensor in they make no full use of?

catz

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2011, 04:49:48 AM »
they put a sensor in they make no full use of?

If I was designing a camera, I would do that.
Because the full sensor resolution is not 1:1 pixel resolution, because the color resolution is not 1:1, but there is a bauer pattern (and much less than the full resolution seemingly out of sensor) unless it is like Foveon type sensor which I doubt it would be. Therefore to get 1:1 pixel resolution, the sensor resolution needs to be greater than the resolution the image/video is used. Oversampling is also needed to achieve antialiasing with software.

skitron

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2011, 01:11:57 PM »
I sure hope they do a digital crop anti-shake in this cam. Given the sensor it seems they should be able to and maintain full res. Between that and an IS lens maybe it can perform anti-shake on par with a CX550 (which uses both) which is to say truly amazing.
5D3, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 100L, 24-105L, Sigma 50/1.4 DG, Canon TC 1.4x III

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2011, 01:11:57 PM »

Macadameane

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2011, 02:17:07 PM »
I ought to do a comparison to see if a PL mount would be possible as a "dummy" adapter over a EF mount...electronically it's possible but not sure about the mechanical size.

Judging by this, I would assume you can't have a dummy mount:

http://www.canonrumors.com/2010/10/new-canon-dslr-pl-mount/

gene_can_sing

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2011, 07:55:31 PM »
The whole separate EF and PL mount thing makes NO SENSE at all.

A PL mount has a very long flange length. I believe it's around 52mm, which is considerable longer than Canon EF mount. What this means, is that a PL Lens will easily work with existing Canon cameras. BUT, and this is a big BUT, Canon DSLRs have a mirror which gets in the way of PL mount lenses because the back element protrudes out on PL mount lenses.

A rental company (can't remember the name) removed the mirror on some 5Ds and 7Ds and make an adapter for the PL mount and it worked perfectly. Of course you can only use the LCD, but for video that's the only option anyways.

I'm assuming that if they do make a video camera, it would be really stupid if it had a mirror in it. It should be an EVF with an LCD.

I guess what I am saying is that without the mirror, a PL mount lens can easily be adopted to the current EF mount.

By making a PL mount only camera, Canon will be seriously crippling themselves because it really limits the type of lenses that can be used with it since the flange length is so long. Panasonic and Sony's video cameras are obviously mirrorless EVFs, with very short flange lengths so any lens can be adopted to it.

One of the biggest advantage of mirrorless cameras is that any lens can be adopted to it in theory and work perfectly as long as they have a manual aperture ring.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2011, 07:55:31 PM »