July 30, 2014, 09:51:29 AM

Author Topic: Patent: EF 24-70 f/2.8L IS  (Read 16312 times)

Menace

• 1D X
  • New Zealand
    • View Profile
Re: Patent: EF 24-70 f/2.8L IS
« Reply #90 on: September 26, 2013, 12:19:03 AM »

When they add IS, I'll probably buy one of those, too...

Music to Canon's ears  :D
1Dx | 5D III
85 1.2L II | 100 2.8 | 400 2.8L IS II 
24-70 2.8L II | 70-200 2.8L IS II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #90 on: September 26, 2013, 12:19:03 AM »

Lawliet

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 26, 2013, 02:44:52 AM »
Are there any comparable product names I can search for on ebay except "cinefoil"?

You get the same thing in shorter lengths as "photofoil". ;)
Or from Lee as filter number 280, blackwrap, cinewrap.
Normally about 25USD for a 24"*25'(~60cm*8m) roll.

dilbert

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 26, 2013, 05:10:10 AM »
*yawn*

More evidence that Canon has ceased to be a leader when it comes to lenses.

If Canon were smart they would bring out this lens at the 24-70/2.8II price and drop the price of the non-IS v2 lens by $600 or so.

Then everyone that bought the non-IS version would sell their current lens and buy the new one.

Great way to get everyone to buy two lenses :->

Then again, they may not need to drop the non-IS v2 lens price by that much...

Sorry but I can't take this comment seriously,I use Leica,Nikon and Hasselblad as well as Canon so no fanboy here.. but Canon has a fantastic collection of glass. the MPE-65mm is completely unique,the best 24-70 and 70-200's on the market,amazing super teles the best TS lenses... the 8-15mm fisheye zoom is another unique lens... and we can be sure that more great glass is on the way... As for the 24-70is,well I don't need the i.s but wedding snappers and event guys will like it..

What part can't you take seriously?

Canon deciding to develop an IS version of the 24-70/2.8 after Tamron release theirs (to much acclaim)? Especially as there were many that wanted this combination due to its weight?

Or that by releasing the lens in this order, Canon will get many people to double-dip whereas if they had brought out the IS version first, people would have gone straight to that and never bought the non-IS version?

"What part can't you take seriously?"This part "More evidence that Canon has ceased to be a leader when it comes to lenses" ,Canon has an excellent portfolio of lenses unmatched by any other manufacturer,Saying that they cease to be a leader because they didn't add I.S to a lens is a bit harsh,not everyone is convinced that this focal length even needs i.s,admittedly I wouldn't mind if they did add it but not at the expense of I.Q,and the Tamron doesn't match the canon's I.Q

Canon are no longer making the trends, they are just following them - regardless of their portfolio.

Eldar

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 26, 2013, 05:21:25 AM »

Canon are no longer making the trends, they are just following them - regardless of their portfolio.
Strange statement ... Who defined video based on SLRs? Who has the most extensive portfolio of high quality lenses in the business? Who has the broadest portfolio of SLRs in the business? ... If there is truth in the rumour about a medium format strategy, who else? ... I dare say that they still are at the forefront of what´s going on.
2x5DIII, 1DX, 8-15/4L, 24-70/2.8L II, 70-200/2.8L II, 70-300/4-5.6L, 200-400/4L 1.4x, Zeiss 15/2.8, 17/4L TS-E, Zeiss 21/2.8, 24/3.5L TS-E II, Sigma 35/1.4 Art, Sigma 50/1.4 Art, Zeiss Otus 55/1.4, 85/1.2L II, Zeiss 135/2, 600/4L II

GMCPhotographics

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • GMCPhotographics
« Reply #94 on: September 26, 2013, 05:53:42 AM »
It was said that Canon did not issue 24-70 f/2.8 IS version as it would be bulky and IQ would be worse (or lens diameter size would have to be wider than 82 mm). Current Tamron 24-70 version has IS and IQ is slightly worse than Canon's 24-70 MkII version. Also, Tamron price is significantly lower. What I currently see in the market that Sigma and Tamron significantly improved quality and we see INNOVATIONS in these companies. On opposite side, Canon makes only slight updates and puts significant price cap on their products. What is my biggest fear that Canon might adapt Apple strategy, to release "new" product which is substantialy the same as old one and expect that loyal fans will buy their products. I would understand if Canon realeases 24-70 1.8 IS version and charges much more money than competitors.

Canon was sleeping when mirrorless  cameras were evolving, current P&S market is sqeezing, very strong competition in DSLR lenses is increasing. If the same trends follow in few years we will see that Canon produces DSLR cameras only (lenses will be bought from Tamron and Sigma). We really need innovative products for reasonable price from Canon!

I think you need to take a long and pragmatic look at how Canon have reacted in the past. Canon took a few years before they build their fisrt few DSLR models. But they took their time, watched not just how the market developed but also how the technology developed too. They chose CMOS where everyone else was claiming CCD superiority....Canon stuck to their beliefs and were proved very right.
Canon make a lot more money on it's lenses than it's camera bodies, but it takes years of careful development to get a lens right. Rushed products like the 50mm f1.2 L and 1DmkIV caused marketing nightmares for Canon, which Canon were wise to learn from. Canon has a 5 and 10 year plan, to which most of us are not privvy to. Sometimes they don't get everything right, but the general trend is that they really know their market and what their customers need (not want).
Canon's L lenses generally have at least a 10 year life span, that's a lot longer than many other brands. For example, take a look at how many ef 70-200mm f2.8 L IS there have been, 2. Now go and compare how many Sigma have pushed out, it's a lot higher. Canon like to get things right first time and keep their products in production for as long as possible. This jacks up the initial price up a lot but they discount very quickly (2-3 years later). In the current cameras, at the top end the 6D, 5DIII and 1DX have no real competitors....again they are state of the Art. Their crop cameras are currently going through a renewal (70D/7DmkII) to bring them back to the top again. Canon's white lenses have no equal, in performance, weight, features and IQ. Their TS-e lenses are the most comprehensive and optically strongest on the market. They offer more macro options than any other brand, the 100mm macro L IS is an amazing performer. Their range of fast primes are the envy of every other brand and are generally better than anything else out there...bar a few lenses which are in the process of renewal. Canon's f4 range of lenses are regarded as some of the finest zooms ever made and again are unmatched in the market place.
When I look at the new 24-70IIL, I can see a lot of devepment for long term Professional use...which I really doubt that the Tamron will cope with. It's AF is far superior, it's more robust, it's certainly has stronger IQ.
Not everyone wants a mirrorless camera, it's a niche item. Canon have a nice product in that range but it's not the tail which wags the dogs head. Olympus and Fuji might be going down the whole "misty eyed retro" look at the moment, but their products are seriously flawed in so many areas.
So just because Tamron put an IS unit in their 24-70, you think Canon don't innovate anymore? I think you need to get a wider perspective my friend.     
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 05:57:59 AM by GMCPhotographics »

M.ST

« Reply #95 on: September 26, 2013, 06:17:56 AM »
Re to: It was said that Canon did not issue 24-70 f/2.8 IS version as it would be bulky and IQ would be worse ...

Forget stupid posts from people who don´t get a prototype from Canon.

The IS version has more weight but it is not to heavy. The image IQ is outstanding and nearly matches the version II lens. But there are only a few prototypes out for testing. I don´t know if the production lens will be as good as the prototypes.

I am very happy with the IS prototype and often let the version II lens at home.

My prototype has a 82 mm filter size and no mm bigger.

Adding a IS version make sense. Tamron and Co. is not the solution for professional use.

« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 06:25:34 AM by M.ST »

dilbert

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 26, 2013, 06:42:16 AM »

Strange statement ... Who defined video based on SLRs?

FWIW, the Nikon D90 was the first DSLR released that came with video. But even then, it was just a matter of time until DSLRs became video capable.

If there is truth in the rumour about a medium format strategy, who else? ... I dare say that they still are at the forefront of what´s going on.

Huh? There are already many companies and skeletons of those past in the medium format segment of the market. Canon going medium format does not make them a leader, it makes them desperate to find a market segment where they can make money because they've stopped being a leader.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #96 on: September 26, 2013, 06:42:16 AM »

Eldar

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 26, 2013, 06:48:42 AM »

Strange statement ... Who defined video based on SLRs?

FWIW, the Nikon D90 was the first DSLR released that came with video. But even then, it was just a matter of time until DSLRs became video capable.

If there is truth in the rumour about a medium format strategy, who else? ... I dare say that they still are at the forefront of what´s going on.

Huh? There are already many companies and skeletons of those past in the medium format segment of the market. Canon going medium format does not make them a leader, it makes them desperate to find a market segment where they can make money because they've stopped being a leader.

And D90 shaped the DSLR video market ?

What defines market leader? Market share? Business volume? Financial performance? Portfolio size and content? Used by most professionals? ... and how many more should we list? I think you´ll find Canon on top of most of them. So to speak of Canon as a desperate company looking for new segments to make money is at best a provoking statement to initiate a discussion.
2x5DIII, 1DX, 8-15/4L, 24-70/2.8L II, 70-200/2.8L II, 70-300/4-5.6L, 200-400/4L 1.4x, Zeiss 15/2.8, 17/4L TS-E, Zeiss 21/2.8, 24/3.5L TS-E II, Sigma 35/1.4 Art, Sigma 50/1.4 Art, Zeiss Otus 55/1.4, 85/1.2L II, Zeiss 135/2, 600/4L II

J.R.

• 1D X
  • A Speedlight Junkie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 26, 2013, 08:15:36 AM »

What defines market leader? Market share? Business volume? Financial performance? Portfolio size and content? Used by most professionals?

And sometimes, figments of imagination of some CR / DR posters ;)
Light is language!

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 26, 2013, 09:32:18 AM »
What defines market leader? Market share? Business volume? Financial performance? Portfolio size and content? Used by most professionals?
And sometimes, figments of imagination of some CR / DR posters ;)

+1   At least, they define it in their own minds.  Some people have difficulty understanding (or accepting) basic facts...
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #99 on: September 26, 2013, 09:32:18 AM »