October 21, 2014, 04:43:13 PM

Poll

Appeal of Nikon Df.

Love the look/sensor combo, wish Canon had something like this.
Nice look but still not there and over priced
Interesting, but not for me.
Looks do not matter, not interested.
Butt ugly.

Author Topic: Photos from 200-400. Also any comments...  (Read 30281 times)

privatebydesign

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
Re: Photos from 200-400. Also any comments...
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2013, 09:28:53 AM »
Jpeg is a lossy format, ..., it is not an archiving, storage or intermediate format where further work or more advanced processing from newer processes is used. Just look at Lightroom Process Versions over the years, 2003-2010-2012 dramatic differences in processing capabilities to lossless images, totally lost on jpegs.

This is why I prefer JPEG's ... it means I don't keep on reprocessing my (ancient) photos of bushbucks and caracals, but have to go out into the field and take new pictures.

Bob: "Look, a fish eagle! Hey, aren't you going to take a picture?"
Sella: "Nah, I took a picture of a fish eagle in 2004 in RAW format ... I just keep reprocessing that everytime Adobe upgrades Lightroom."

That is the dumbest "reason" I ever heard. When you shot film did you make one print then burn the negative?

Good info Private, thanks.

Northstar, you are very welcome. Jpegs are very useful and as a standard have long outlived their time, which means they work, but they were never designed as a lossless archive.
The best time to plant a tree is twenty-five years ago. The second best time is today.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2013, 09:28:53 AM »

Sella174

• 5D Mark III
  • So there!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2013, 11:23:59 AM »
That is the dumbest "reason" I ever heard.

My apologies for attempting a witty, sarcastic joke ... oh, well ...
Happily ignoring the laws of physics and the rules of photography to create better pictures.

bchernicoff

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
    • My Photos
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2013, 01:08:15 PM »
Regarding the JPEG banding/posterization... If you are saving to JPEG from Photoshop, always use Save for Web. you get a nice little preview of what the end result will look like once colorspace, resizing, compression, etc. are applied.
6D, Fuji X-T1, X-E1
Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 400mm f/2.8L II, 100mm L IS Macro, Sigma 85mm, & 35mm f/1.4's, Rokinon 14mm f/2.8,
Fuji 23mm 1.4, 35mm 1.4, 56mm 1.2, 14mm 2.8, 18-55, 55-200

privatebydesign

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2013, 06:13:27 PM »
That is the dumbest "reason" I ever heard.

My apologies for attempting a witty, sarcastic joke ... oh, well ...

Don't apologise, there is none needed, but you gave no context of sarcasm (normally sarcasm tags) and none of humour (normally smilies) so I took your comment seriously and I am sure I am not the only one.

All is good...........
The best time to plant a tree is twenty-five years ago. The second best time is today.

eml58

• 1D X
  • 1Dx
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2013, 06:49:42 AM »
Hi Sanj, Found it.

Here's a couple of shots for your 200-400 thread, I particularly liked your Cheetah shot & Happy to hear your enjoying the Lens.

Sella174 ?? Feel free to be yourself, witty, sarcastic & critical.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

sanj

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2013, 09:11:58 AM »
Thank you Elm for posting your lovely photos. I am in Thailand currently on work and my other photos from this lens are in my main computer at office. Will post after a month when I return.

eml58

• 1D X
  • 1Dx
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2013, 07:30:35 PM »
Thank you Elm for posting your lovely photos. I am in Thailand currently on work and my other photos from this lens are in my main computer at office. Will post after a month when I return.

Hi Sanj, Look forward to it, enjoy Thailand.

And no more animal humping Images  :o

Hope you've noticed the issues ongoing in Nairobi ?? I visited this Mall with my Son in March earlier this year while on the way to the Masai Mara, will be bypassing Nairobi in future, Fly in Fly out same day, Same for Dar Es Salam.

Attached Bear Yawning, 1Dx + 200-400f/4, Shot from the Deck of the Stockholm, Northern Svalbard
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 08:03:54 PM by eml58 »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2013, 07:30:35 PM »

Sella174

• 5D Mark III
  • So there!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2013, 10:16:59 AM »

It seems you misconstrued my posts in this thread. I am sure the 200-400mm is an excellent lens, with a definite niche application. What I meant was that once a lens reaches a certain standard and does not inhibit the photographer through design defects, it is unimportant what lens is used to produce a good photograph ... just because the OP's three photos were taken with the newly introduced 200-400mm lens, doesn't mean we should now oooh and aaah and vwd. Ultimately, even though this is the CanonRumors forum, when evaluating photographs, gear should be unimportant.
Happily ignoring the laws of physics and the rules of photography to create better pictures.

Northstar

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2013, 10:27:50 AM »
Hoping to see some super photos from this versatile lens! Also any reviews.
Sanjay

great photo of the cheetah sanj !

Sport Shooter

1dX and 5d3... 24-70 2.8ii, 70-200 2.8ii, 1.4xiii and 2xiii, 85, 40mm, 300 2.8L IS....430ex

Northstar

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2013, 10:29:19 AM »

Bob: "Look, a fish eagle! Hey, aren't you going to take a picture?"
Sella: "Nah, I took a picture of a fish eagle in 2004 in RAW format ... I just keep reprocessing that everytime Adobe upgrades Lightroom."

that's actually quite funny!  ;D
Sport Shooter

1dX and 5d3... 24-70 2.8ii, 70-200 2.8ii, 1.4xiii and 2xiii, 85, 40mm, 300 2.8L IS....430ex

eml58

• 1D X
  • 1Dx
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2013, 07:52:36 PM »

It's always a possibility that I did misconstrue Sell174, and if I did you have my apology for my flippant remark.

I believe Sanj's motivation re this new Thread though may rather have been just to start a thread regards a new & very interesting Lens, the 200-400f4.

If you had taken the time to look at some of Sanj's other Posts, you would have found that Sanj doesn't look for the "Ohhs " Aghs", like most of us he's looking for positive critique and engagement regards the subject, the Lens, and to a lesser degree, the Images.

Your comments I've noticed Sella174 are often critical and acerbic, but definitely not always as I notice you have excellent technical input at times, I've not noticed any Posted Images (you may well have & I've simply not noticed), but that's fine of course just a little unusual that someone critiques an-others Images without first offering up some of their own for evaluation.

Saying "Sorry" when you dump on someones Images in the guise of being "helpfully critical" doesn't lessen the harshness of the criticisms, it's still painful to receive.

I'de like to suggest that you could have made the comments re "poorly cropped, angled etc etc" without being quite so offhandedly brusque.

But this is simply my opinion, feel free to ignore it completely, try though to keep in mind when your dealing with Peoples Images any critique aught to be considered, positive & thoughtful, just a view of course.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 07:56:34 PM by eml58 »

eml58

• 1D X
  • 1Dx
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2013, 08:51:15 PM »
Svalbard August 2013
1Dx & 200-400f/4

eli72

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2013, 09:18:31 PM »

It's always a possibility that I did misconstrue Sell174, and if I did you have my apology for my flippant remark.

I believe Sanj's motivation re this new Thread though may rather have been just to start a thread regards a new & very interesting Lens, the 200-400f4.

If you had taken the time to look at some of Sanj's other Posts, you would have found that Sanj doesn't look for the "Ohhs " Aghs", like most of us he's looking for positive critique and engagement regards the subject, the Lens, and to a lesser degree, the Images.

Your comments I've noticed Sella174 are often critical and acerbic, but definitely not always as I notice you have excellent technical input at times, I've not noticed any Posted Images (you may well have & I've simply not noticed), but that's fine of course just a little unusual that someone critiques an-others Images without first offering up some of their own for evaluation.

Saying "Sorry" when you dump on someones Images in the guise of being "helpfully critical" doesn't lessen the harshness of the criticisms, it's still painful to receive.

I'de like to suggest that you could have made the comments re "poorly cropped, angled etc etc" without being quite so offhandedly brusque.

But this is simply my opinion, feel free to ignore it completely, try though to keep in mind when your dealing with Peoples Images any critique aught to be considered, positive & thoughtful, just a view of course.

+1

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2013, 09:18:31 PM »

Eldar

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Flickr
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2013, 02:35:15 AM »

It seems you misconstrued my posts in this thread. I am sure the 200-400mm is an excellent lens, with a definite niche application. What I meant was that once a lens reaches a certain standard and does not inhibit the photographer through design defects, it is unimportant what lens is used to produce a good photograph ... just because the OP's three photos were taken with the newly introduced 200-400mm lens, doesn't mean we should now oooh and aaah and vwd. Ultimately, even though this is the CanonRumors forum, when evaluating photographs, gear should be unimportant.

I disagree totally! One of the reasons for trawling forums like this is to seek other people´s experience with certain equipment. This is the Caononrumors, where Canon users meet. it is not the Outdoor photography forum, or the Sunrise and Sunset forum. We like the technology.

I read reviews, but I find the posted experiences from real users and the images they make very useful, especially when they post the images and not just write about them. Yes, we are probably too consumed in the technology from time to time, but that is part of the hobby. Knowing what body, lens, settings etc. used on a particular image improves my ability to imagine what the shutter-pushing-moment was like and thus helps me judge the picture and assess if the equipment is tempting or not.

As an example, I saw Nick Brandt´s exhibition of portraits of African animals. Phenomenal pictures, which you all should try to see, and I had to see it three times. But I am still a bit irritated that he does not reveal what equipment and the specific techniques he is using to get them, other than short focal lengths, medium format and film. I could tell from close inspection that he is using something close to a normal focal length tilt&shift lens to shoot a portrait of a wild male lion. That would be interesting to get the experience/technology/technique story around.

I hope elm58 will tell us some more of his experiences with the 200-400 lens, when he has been using it for a while. I am seriously thinking of buying it, but I need to hear more from the users and see more of their images first. So please guys, you lucky enough to have the lens, impress us with images and tell us if we should buy this baby ;)

And Sanj, I really liked your cheetah and your lions. Keep more coming!
5DIII, 1DX, 8-15/4L, 16-35 f4L IS, 24-70/2.8L II, 70-200/2.8L IS II, 70-300/4-5.6L IS, 200-400/4L IS 1.4x, Zeiss 15/2.8, 17/4L TS-E, Zeiss 21/2.8, 24/3.5L TS-E II, Zeiss Otus 55/1.4, Zeiss Otus 85/1.4, 100/2.8L IS Macro, Zeiss 135/2, 600/4L IS II

Sella174

• 5D Mark III
  • So there!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2013, 03:10:14 AM »

You are choosing too low a value in quality at your save as jpeg step.

It is called posterization and is very common, it has nothing to do with camera settings or your other processing. Do it again but save the jpeg at over 80% quality, sometimes you even need to use 100%.

??? ??? ??? ;) ;)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2013, 03:10:14 AM »