November 22, 2017, 07:03:47 PM

Author Topic: Ken Rockwell on Lens Sharpness  (Read 38445 times)

fragilesi

• EOS 7D Mark II
Re: Ken Rockwell on Lens Sharpness
« Reply #60 on: September 29, 2013, 07:11:24 AM »
Another great KR diatribe was how you didn't need to shoot in RAW.  Obviously, if you know what you are doing you can program the camera for each and every exposure to get the proper white balance, noise reduction, sharpening, colour space, lens corrections, contrast etc etc... out of the camera as a Jpeg.

It's the great KR... he must be right... but I don't understand how to get a single jpeg that has the right colour profile for a printer, a monitor, and a projector all at the same time.

Yeah ... and he had another one on the lines of why you no longer need a tripod. I guess that was the last time I visited his site. Well, I visited his website again today, only for confirming the fact that his website only contains "aggressive personal opinions" and not "logical presentation of fact"

So, I think I've got this right.  You knew all about his website and what was on it.  And today you visited again to confirm that not only does it contain what you thought it did but that it contains precsiely what he says it does.  And now you're posting to tell us that too?  Okay.

As a complete newbie I stumbled on his site a couple of years ago. He opened my eyes to quite a lot. It wasn't hard given how little I knew but he set me on the path of several very good equipment purchases and technique decisions - and yes I branched to other sites to get a balanced opinion.  I don't agree with everything he says, for example his point about longer lenses not being wortwhile but I've found the site an interesting introduction at times, eg wide angle lenses.

Very importantly he doesn't try to blind me with science.  CR seems excellent in many ways but like most technical communities it has its own language, initialisms and so on to learn and as is typical of such communities some people delight in making things sound complex.  At least with Rockwell I can understand what he's saying and gauge his opinion easily and quickly as a newbie and choose to accept it or challenge it.

That has real value and yes other sites do similar things but why shouldn't he too?  He is at least open and honest about what his site is, and is not.  If any of the people criticising him think they can do better and lead us simpletons on a "better" path in an easy to understand way then by all means go ahead.  Because if you can, I'll be an avid reader  :D.

Hahaha ... I knew I would get a bit of stick for my "knowledge" of KR's website. However, the word "confirmation" used in my post above was confirmation for the OP.

I stumbled on his site in 2009 when I switched to Canon system and was looking up lens reviews. This guy somehow manages to come up right in the top 2-3 lens reviews on page 1 of a Google search of almost any Canon lens review search you undertake. I found a lot of his material quite odd, if not outright drivel ... his post regarding how digital killed the tripod. This made me wonder as to who the hell was this guy which ultimately led me to the "about" page.

Given that his site contains his personal opinions regardless of the facts makes things a bit obtuse. Personally, I'd take a logical reasoning of fact as compared to someone's aggravated person opinions any day of the week and twice on Sunday, ymmv. There is hardly anything useful on his site which is not available anywhere else.

Look at it this way -

• If you want to improve your shooting technique ... get a book, attend photography course, attend photowalks with pros, post photos online and get them critiqued;
    If you want to find out more about gear (especially Canon gear), CR is best place to be because if someone is serving pure mashed potatoes, he is sure to get found out by the rest of the posters - some of whom are really knowledgeable

KR acts a bit like a clown, says that he is acting like a clown and then has people defending him and his opinions to the hilt ... awesome!

Well sorry I can never resist sarcasm  :).  Some say it's the lowest form of wit but to me scaling what seems its dizzy heights is achievement enough for the day!

But for the record I'm quite clearly not defending his opinions to the hilt or indeed anything else!  I like the fact that he's blunt, to the point and so it's very interesting to understand his what he is saying, then like I said you can take it on board or challenge it.

I do agree that CR is a very good place.  But it's not always easy for a newbie to understand some of the advice some of the time and seemingly "knowledgeable posters" will argue each other into the ground dressing up fact as opinion and giving widely differing verdicts on any given point.

That's fine, not everything should revolve around people with relatively low levels of knowledge of course and advice will vary depending on preferred styles and applications.

I see value in Ken Rockwell in that he gives a clear, easy to undestand opinion, some food for thought and can open your eyes to a different way of thinking.  I often disagree with it but at least he starts a debate in my mind.  It's just another of the wide variety of sources out there that can expand knowledge about this wonderful hobby, art form or profession . . . whatever it is to each of us. 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #60 on: September 29, 2013, 07:11:24 AM »

woollybear

« Reply #61 on: September 29, 2013, 09:49:09 AM »
dressing up fact as opinion

...don't you mean dressing up opinion as fact?

fragilesi

• EOS 7D Mark II
« Reply #62 on: September 29, 2013, 10:18:12 AM »

Yes, of course  :)

J.R.

• EOS-1D X Mark II
« Reply #63 on: September 29, 2013, 10:41:13 AM »

Much the same way all of us have an "aggressive personal opinion" about KR which we quote as "fact"  ;)
1DX II; 600D
17L TSE; 35L II; 40 STM; 50L, 85L II; 100 Macro; 135L; 200L; 300L; 11-24L; 24-70L II; 100-400L II; 18-55;55-250

comsense

• EOS Rebel T7i
« Reply #64 on: September 29, 2013, 11:14:43 AM »

I know, it's way better to read a crazy opinions dressed up as fact and no one else to call the bluff. Who wants to get pinched while dreaming crazy wild sex!
On the serious note, if you want facts, go for data (TDP, photozone, lensrentals etc), use the lens and form your own opinion. If you are soliciting opinions, it's better to have multiple diverse, so that you can choose one that suits you.
Running to buy SL1+18-55 because some a$$ says it is as good as 1DX+24-70II (while never getting tired of bragging how sharp my Leica is), is plain stupid. Here, you have option of calling these suggestions stupid, which is really valuable.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 11:18:30 AM by comsense »

J.R.

• EOS-1D X Mark II
« Reply #65 on: September 29, 2013, 12:16:53 PM »
Whenever we seem to get rid of the DR debate (temporarily, of course), the KR BS starts
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 12:21:39 PM by J.R. »
1DX II; 600D
17L TSE; 35L II; 40 STM; 50L, 85L II; 100 Macro; 135L; 200L; 300L; 11-24L; 24-70L II; 100-400L II; 18-55;55-250

Don Haines

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
  • posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
« Reply #66 on: September 29, 2013, 12:40:29 PM »
Whenever we seem to get rid of the DR debate (temporarily, of course), the KR BS starts

But is KR DR BS? OMG WTF! :)
The best camera is the one in your hands

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #66 on: September 29, 2013, 12:40:29 PM »

fragilesi

• EOS 7D Mark II
« Reply #67 on: October 01, 2013, 07:08:57 AM »

I know, it's way better to read a crazy opinions dressed up as fact and no one else to call the bluff. Who wants to get pinched while dreaming crazy wild sex!
On the serious note, if you want facts, go for data (TDP, photozone, lensrentals etc), use the lens and form your own opinion. If you are soliciting opinions, it's better to have multiple diverse, so that you can choose one that suits you.
Running to buy SL1+18-55 because some a$$ says it is as good as 1DX+24-70II (while never getting tired of bragging how sharp my Leica is), is plain stupid. Here, you have option of calling these suggestions stupid, which is really valuable.

Of course.  Like I said it's just one place among many.  And of course it doesn't matter how many sites you visit or reviews that you read only you can answer the question as to what is right for you, what you like to shoot and how you like to do it.  Viewed in that context KR is kind of like having an opinionated mate.  Worth listening to but has to be treated with caution  :).

aj1575

• EOS M5
« Reply #68 on: October 01, 2013, 08:43:50 AM »
You have to admit he is good at what he does...

Yes, he is.  But what he 'does' (as in, does for a living) is not photography, nor is it teaching photography or reviewing gear. It's running a for-profit website.  Controversial statements generate website hits and ad revenue.  Having people act as unwitting shills is great for KR's 'growing family'.

I completly agree with you on this one. !

sanj

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #69 on: October 01, 2013, 10:13:21 AM »
You have to admit he is good at what he does...

Yes, he is.  But what he 'does' (as in, does for a living) is not photography, nor is it teaching photography or reviewing gear. It's running a for-profit website.  Controversial statements generate website hits and ad revenue.  Having people act as unwitting shills is great for KR's 'growing family'.

I completly agree with you on this one. !

I do not. His site is full of reviews and tips for the 'normal' photographer.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #69 on: October 01, 2013, 10:13:21 AM »