April 21, 2014, 02:34:04 AM

Author Topic: Best 35mm wide open????  (Read 7249 times)

TommyLee

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Re: Best 35mm wide open????
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2013, 08:39:17 PM »
clearly for me the 35 sig is waayy better than my 35L (was)...
I sold the 35L BEFORE the sigma...and loved that canon a lot...

then I tasted a  ...   sharp-wide-open....  lens with little fringing/CA.....the sigma...

now I am really spoiled...

used my 24mm f1.4 mk I last night and ...uh ...I forgot how weak  it can be  wideopen...
nice but ..it ain't a sigma 35 class of lens....  I did try the 24L II and it was a bit better on a few rentals....
but not like this sigma is....

if the sigma 24 rumor is true...I will try that one too

I might add if CANON finally redesigns / releases the 35 II ...they DID NOT release (when they saw the new sigma) ...if it is better - I will get it...

I await Canon's move on this

TOM

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2013, 08:39:17 PM »

MonteGraham

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
    • MonteGrahamPhotography
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2013, 11:00:18 PM »
clearly for me the 35 sig is waayy better than my 35L (was)...
I sold the 35L BEFORE the sigma...and loved that canon a lot...

then I tasted a  ...   sharp-wide-open....  lens with little fringing/CA.....the sigma...

now I am really spoiled...

used my 24mm f1.4 mk I last night and ...uh ...I forgot how weak  it can be  wideopen...
nice but ..it ain't a sigma 35 class of lens....  I did try the 24L II and it was a bit better on a few rentals....
but not like this sigma is....

if the sigma 24 rumor is true...I will try that one too

I might add if CANON finally redesigns / releases the 35 II ...they DID NOT release (when they saw the new sigma) ...if it is better - I will get it...

I await Canon's move on this

TOM

With not many options im waiting for Canon's move on this one.

Mt Spokane Photography

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2013, 11:13:25 PM »
Optically, the Sigma looks very good, and the bokeh is excellent.

There is a reason I warned against making generalizations from one comparison only. Here is an example of less than excellent bokeh:

You must have used a lens extensively to know its weak and strong sides. The bokeh performance can really surprise you in many situations.

Its a matter of opinion, there is no measurement of bokeh.  Generally, round is a good start, but there are so many things that can be evaluated, cats eye, onion skin, and as in your example, LoCA..

For a wide angle and fast lens, the Sigma is one of the better ones.  I'm definitely not a Sigma fan.  However, a 35mm f/1.4 is not going to match longer focal lengths.

takesome1

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2013, 11:13:45 PM »
Im in the market for a 35mm for my 5DMK3.. Out of the option which is best wide open for nice bokeh??

You are going to get quit a few Sigma suggestions. This is normal, it is a popular lens that many can afford.
Pride in ownership will generate fanfare. Many answers come from what they own, not what may be best.

But the answer to your question the Zeiss 35mm F/1.4 is the best. Is it $1000 better than the L or the Sig? It would be to me, but not to most people.

You could probably buy the Sigma or the Canon L and be very happy with it. Maybe soon there will be a Cannon 35mm f/1.4 L II.

Pi

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Math and Photography
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2013, 11:18:29 PM »
Its a matter of opinion, there is no measurement of bokeh.  Generally, round is a good start, but there are so many things that can be evaluated, cats eye, onion skin, and as in your example, LoCA..

Actually, the LoCA is not such a problem. What grabs the attention are the bright edges in the following direction: \ (it is more horizontal than that). This is a crop from the lower right corner, so what you see are double edges along radial lines. The Canon does the same, and the problem is more pronounced near the borders.

Dick

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2013, 01:56:41 AM »
I see people praising the Sigma 35. You can surely go for that. I have a copy of that lens & I love the images it produces when focused spot on. I have not taken any photos with it that would suck because of "bad bokeh". Nailing the focus is a much greater issue.

Getting the AF to work may be problematic. Basic AFMA tests gave me a horrific value that only made things worse. I tested the lens on real subjects and ended up with a value that seems to work nicely. I'd say that you cannot really trust the focusing even when you have the correct AFMA in place. In servo mode the lens tends to be really slow and on a 5D3 you end up with plenty of OOF photos. There is no scientific research behind my statement, but I'd claim that especially with servo you can trust the 35L's AF much more. This might in the end be more important than the additional sharpness of the Sigma 35.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 02:00:24 AM by Dick »
EOS 5D Mark III + Sigma 35mm DG + L lenses + other stuff

TommyLee

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2013, 11:45:20 AM »

There is a reason I warned against making generalizations from one comparison only. Here is an example of less than excellent bokeh:

You must have used a lens extensively to know its weak and strong sides. The bokeh performance can really surprise you in many situations.

the sigma 35 CAN get busy...and  not handle busy backgrounds as well ...as ...say the 85L II,  but this shot below is ALSO how well it can do....  you have to be careful with any lens if you are shooting for bokeh..

here I see
smooth and nearly identifiable secondary figures...smooth transitions...all judgement of course

love mine

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2013, 11:45:20 AM »

MonteGraham

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
    • MonteGrahamPhotography
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2013, 01:28:51 PM »

the sigma 35 CAN get busy...and  not handle busy backgrounds as well ...as ...say the 85L II,  but this shot below is ALSO how well it can do....  you have to be careful with any lens if you are shooting for bokeh..

here I see
smooth and nearly identifiable secondary figures...smooth transitions...all judgement of course

love mine

Nice Photo!

Hobby Shooter

« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2013, 03:27:17 PM »
As someone said, you'll likely get a number of suggestions based on what people have themselves. But what is the best? Do you always have to go for the best? Do you have the wallet for that?

I have my 35L which I am very happy with, it makes me happy every time I put it on the camera. Always brings home very nice artistic pictures. Maybe not perfectly sharp every time, but I am not always after that. I think you should get yourself a Sigma though. It seems to be the one everybody talks about as the best, so it should suit.

It feels good that I could mention my favourite lens that I've taken my best pictures with in my last post here.

Just remember that it's not always about getting the sharpest picture.

All the best to you guys and take care!

Mika

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2013, 05:12:31 PM »
About the bokeh picture Pi posted, I have seen many lenses (including Canon 50/1.2 and 24-70) produce equally bad background blur. In fact, most objectives do have this effect at some object and background distance and brightness combo.

Just learn when it happens and work around it; I can't think of an easy way (or better said, feasible way) to eliminate this effect in lens design.

Pi

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Math and Photography
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2013, 06:56:13 PM »
About the bokeh picture Pi posted, I have seen many lenses (including Canon 50/1.2 and 24-70) produce equally bad background blur.

Examples (with the 50L)? I have pushed it to get bad bokeh but not nearly as bad.

Pi

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Math and Photography
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2013, 06:57:39 PM »
the sigma 35 CAN get busy...and  not handle busy backgrounds as well ...as ...say the 85L II,  ut this shot below is ALSO how well it can do....  you have to be careful with any lens if you are shooting for bokeh..

The trick is to avoid the transition zone. In your case, it is empty air, which is good.

TommyLee

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2013, 11:29:03 PM »
Nice Photo!
[/quote]

thanks.... MonteGraham
I like these people...and this shot
my daughter, her mother ...my replacement - NewDad - ha!..
all very nice folks....
I -old dad- had just been fed by NewDad.... a master Chef...

this 35 Sigma is PERFECT for these liv room shots... I just love it for that....

sometimes it is as good (bokeh) as the 135 / 85....

but the king is the 85 for sure...it solves all lo light problems...

I swear the 35 bokeh CAN BE very smooth....
sometimes it is awful with leaves ...repeating small stuff..etc

thre lenses ......  14L, 35 Sigma, 85L II = case closed
IMO
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 11:35:35 PM by TommyLee »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2013, 11:29:03 PM »

lucuias

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
    • Ronnie Chan's Photography
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2013, 02:13:47 AM »
I personally tried both Canon and sigma and I end up getting Canon 35mm F/1.4 L because of:-

-I have doubt of Sigma focusing accuracy
-I prefer Canon colour,sigma colour seems to be pale and cold side.

Mika

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2013, 03:54:44 PM »
About the bokeh picture Pi posted, I have seen many lenses (including Canon 50/1.2 and 24-70) produce equally bad background blur.

Examples (with the 50L)? I have pushed it to get bad bokeh but not nearly as bad.

I think Photozone has the worst 50/1.2 shot that I have seen and know for sure it is 50/1.2

Here you can find another example, but I'm not certain whether this is taken with 28-70/2.8 or 50/1.2. I'm leaning towards the zoom for some reason.

But I reiterate that none of this is actually seriously detrimental for photography, you'll just need to know when this happens and avoid it.

ps. 50L can refer to another 50 too...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2013, 03:54:44 PM »