December 18, 2014, 03:25:25 PM

Author Topic: WEDDING PHOTOGRAPHERS 50mm 1.4 with close up filters vs dedicated macro???  (Read 5280 times)

MonteGraham

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
    • MonteGrahamPhotography
50mm 1.4 with close up filters vs dedicated macro lens for wedding close up of ring, flowers, shoes etc...

canon rumors FORUM

surapon

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • 80% BY HEART, 15% BY LENSES AND ONLY 5% BY CAMERA
    • View Profile
Re: WEDDING PHOTOGRAPHERS 50mm 1.4 with close up filters vs dedicated macro???
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2013, 09:06:19 PM »
50mm 1.4 with close up filters vs dedicated macro lens for wedding close up of ring, flowers, shoes etc...

Dear MonteGraham.
Just my Idea, If you have Macro lens,  Please use Macro lens for Close up Photos for super sharp photos,  But If you Have only 50 mm 1.4, Please go to buy the Extension Tube  = very cheap , and use with your 50 mm 1.4 to get closer focus and get the bigger / closer details of the subject/ objects.
I have 3-4 Close up Filters and try 10 years ago, I do not like the Not sharp at the edges of the pictures.
Good luck
Surapon

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/375102-REG/Kenko_AEXTUBEDGC_Auto_Extension_Tube_Set.html

Nishi Drew

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2013, 10:27:53 PM »
I've been using a 50mm 1.4 with extension tubes for macro and it gets the job done. Though is a pain to setup each time with the manual setting of the aperture with stop down button, the loss of light and lack of AF can be dealt with but it's extra time taken. I borrowed a macro lens for another wedding, and found that I used it more for portraits than actual macro, so personally I don't see myself getting much out of investing in a macro, an extension tube setup, or just using a lens that focuses close enough, and then cropping the image can be fine as well. Would be wise to rent/borrow a macro lens to try out once, and also, shoes don't really need macro unless you want to get the very fine detail

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2013, 11:57:35 PM »
Something you need to consider about closeup filters is the lack of ability to focus.  you need to hold the camera at a exact distance from the subject with little tolerance for error.  This can be difficult, unless you use a tripod and macro head.  With a 100L, you can handhold the camera and do reasonably well.

Lighting is another issue when you get too close with that 50mm plus closeup lens, you will block most of the light.

I'd go for a extension tube if I couldn't justify a macro lens.

MonteGraham

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
    • MonteGrahamPhotography
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2013, 12:13:20 AM »
Something you need to consider about closeup filters is the lack of ability to focus.  you need to hold the camera at a exact distance from the subject with little tolerance for error.  This can be difficult, unless you use a tripod and macro head.  With a 100L, you can handhold the camera and do reasonably well.

Lighting is another issue when you get too close with that 50mm plus closeup lens, you will block most of the light.

thats the thing i wont be doing a lot of macro work only during pre wedding.. That isnt a justification to get 100mm. Are close up filters that bad to not use??

kphoto99

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2013, 12:59:07 AM »
I've been using a 50mm 1.4 with extension tubes for macro and it gets the job done. Though is a pain to setup each time with the manual setting of the aperture with stop down button, the loss of light and lack of AF can be dealt with but it's extra time taken.

You need to get better extension tubes, either Canon or Kenko that pass the electrical contacts. This way the camera sets the aperture and does AF.

To the OP, get a set of Kenko extension tubes and try all your lens to see which ones give you the right amount of magnification at the easy working distance. That is all you need. Do not get a magnification filters, they will reduce the quality of the image just like a tele extender does.

Dick

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2013, 01:38:01 AM »

Get the 100L. It is good for other stuff too & not just the close up shots + you can trust its performance. I have shot events with just a 35mm prime and the 100L.
EOS 5D Mark III + 8-15L + some boring L lenses + a 35mm Sigma...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2013, 01:38:01 AM »

MonteGraham

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
    • MonteGrahamPhotography
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2013, 02:59:54 AM »

Get the 100L. It is good for other stuff too & not just the close up shots + you can trust its performance. I have shot events with just a 35mm prime and the 100L.

Do you mean the standard or L version?

photonius

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2013, 05:18:34 AM »

Both "good" close-up lenses and extension tubes can yield good results for occasional macro.
However, single lens element close-up lenses are not good. There is a sample comparison in the close-up lens section here:
http://photonius.wikispaces.com/Close-up+%26+Macro
You would need an achromat (doublet) close-up lens to get decent quality. These lenses are actually quite hefty. Also, close-up lenses need higher power on shorter focal length lenses to get decent magnification, while extension tubes need not that much extension on 50mm to get high magnification (see also examples in the site above).

A Kenko extension tube set gives you the electronic coupling, so it's fully automatic, and you have a set of extensions that you can combine as needed to get the desired magnification range. It's probably the best choice to combine with a 50mm lens.

As pointed out, both with close-up lenses and extension tubes you loose infinity focus, the actual focus range will be severely limited so that you may end up using manual focus, or rather just move the camera back and forth until your subject is sharp.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 10:06:59 AM by photonius »

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ... on superhero vacation!
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2013, 06:17:00 AM »

Just get the excellent non-L version which is rather cheap and you also get it used - the L has not that much better iq (sharpness ~equivalent, a bit better bokeh) and you don't seem to need the main advantages focus limiter, weather sealing and IS for handheld shooting. For me the 100L is a nice dual-use lens for portraits, but you've already got the 70-200L.

Sella174

• 1D Mark IV
  • So there!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2013, 08:09:08 AM »
Your signature states you have a 7D ... so buy the EF-S 60mm macro ... it's cheap-ish and good-ish enough ... it's also a nice-ish portrait lens.
Happily ignoring the laws of physics and the rules of photography to create better pictures.

MonteGraham

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
    • MonteGrahamPhotography
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2013, 08:57:51 AM »
Your signature states you have a 7D ... so buy the EF-S 60mm macro ... it's cheap-ish and good-ish enough ... it's also a nice-ish portrait lens.

i was thinking about that lens at first glance. But during wedding ill be running 2 5DMKIII. I use my 7D more for sports and wildlife.

surapon

• 80% BY HEART, 15% BY LENSES AND ONLY 5% BY CAMERA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2013, 10:01:46 AM »

Just get the excellent non-L version which is rather cheap and you also get it used - the L has not that much better iq (sharpness ~equivalent, a bit better bokeh) and you don't seem to need the main advantages focus limiter, weather sealing and IS for handheld shooting. For me the 100L is a nice dual-use lens for portraits, but you've already got the 70-200L.

+ 1
Yes, 100 L Macro is one of the great Portrait Lens for  Full Frame Sensor camera, and Great Hybrid IS. too
Yes, Super sharp Lens for Under $ 1050 US Dollars

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-100mm-Macro-Digital-Cameras/dp/B002NEGTSI

Surapon

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2013, 10:01:46 AM »

Sella174

• 1D Mark IV
  • So there!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2013, 10:29:15 AM »
i was thinking about that lens at first glance. But during wedding ill be running 2 5DMKIII. I use my 7D more for sports and wildlife.

Advice stands ... nothing wrong with having a third camera "dedicated" for macro work. Besides, this combo (7D + 60mm) will add no more bulk than a 100mm L macro.
Happily ignoring the laws of physics and the rules of photography to create better pictures.

awinphoto

• View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2013, 10:34:12 AM »

+ 1
Yes, 100 L Macro is one of the great Portrait Lens for  Full Frame Sensor camera, and Great Hybrid IS. too
Yes, Super sharp Lens for Under $ 1050 US Dollars

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-100mm-Macro-Digital-Cameras/dp/B002NEGTSI

Surapon

Go for the L... love that macro lens...  I've tried most of the macro type of work arounds... tubes, reversed lenses, microscope mounts, etc and they all work with varying degrees but require finesse and while it's capable of doing so, A) during a wedding, mickey-mousing trying to get a shot doesn't instill a lot of trust in people who may be watching you take the photos and B) isn't as fast... Get the macro lens and be happy =)
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, Canon 85 1.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2013, 10:34:12 AM »