December 22, 2014, 01:49:26 PM

Author Topic: Video Question: What can I do to make it easier to see if the video is in focus  (Read 4438 times)

Ron Bailey

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
Without a doubt I would go with the SmallHD AC7-OLED monitor.  I use it with my TS-E 17mm and love it.  Why bother wasting a butt load of time zooming in when you can let the software tell you when you are in focus?

Bright as heck in full sunlight also.  http://www.smallhd.com/products/ac7/index.html
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 11:49:13 PM by Ron Bailey »

canon rumors FORUM

Nishi Drew

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
Well I see several answers that'll solve the question in the thread here, but just have to say: "F/8 and be there"  ;)

paul13walnut5

Well I see several answers that'll solve the question in the thread here, but just have to say: "F/8 and be there"  ;)

If it works for you then great.

Personally, as in video you already cede control over the shutter, and would usually seek lowest or at least uniform ISO for consistency accross frames, the last thing I would do would be to restrict myself to one aperture, especially such a slow one.

McBrad

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
I really like the focus peaking on the SmallHD DP4. They make an EVF for it which is nice in the sun.

http://www.smallhd.com/products/dp4/index.html

Axilrod

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Get a monitor or EVF, but even then it's a bit difficult since the HDMI drops to SD when you hit record.
5DIII/5DII/Bunch of L's and ZE's, currently rearranging.

JonB8305

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Get a monitor or EVF, but even then it's a bit difficult since the HDMI drops to SD when you hit record.

Thats very good to know.

SPG

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
Keep in mind that monitors and EVFs add another level of complexity with cables, batteries, mounts, and settings. The loupes like the Zacuto Z-Finder are dead simple. They just snap on the back and you're there.
A big part of your decision should be based on your shooting style. Are you in the studio on sticks? A monitor will be fine. Are you shooting handheld outside? Loupe will be light, block the sunlight, and provide a point of contact to steady your camera. I use both, depending on the situation I'm in but most of the time I'm using the Z-Finder instead of a monitor.

canon rumors FORUM