December 18, 2014, 11:06:11 PM

Author Topic: Big Megapixel Tidbits from the Week [CR1]  (Read 11084 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
Big Megapixel Tidbits from the Week [CR1]
« on: September 24, 2013, 05:24:05 AM »

The Next EOS-1?

We’re told that their is a 44.7mp camera in heavy testing. However, the test cameras are eating batteries when shooting in 4K mode. Development is still continuing on the sensor, batteries and software.

I expect a development announcement for this camera sometime in late 2013 or early 2014.

Medium Format

Another two people have said Canon will announce a medium format solution for Photokina next September. The big push is towards MF,  but probably won’t see availability until well into 2015.

We’re also told by a second person that such a medium format venture could be a unique arrangement with a current medium format manufacturer. Canon is serious about medium format and will continue to develop a strategy to become the market leader fairly quickly.

A grain of salt on these bits of information, as they’re from unknown sources.

cr

canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

Big Megapixel Tidbits from the Week [CR1]
« on: September 24, 2013, 05:24:05 AM »

sanj

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Re: Big Megapixel Tidbits from the Week [CR1]
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2013, 05:27:02 AM »
Would they not need to manufacture whole lot of new lenses of MF?
Possibly they are buying of some MF company...

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ... on superhero vacation!
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2013, 05:38:20 AM »
Development is still continuing on the sensor, batteries and software.

Well, here we go (or not): Since the current sensor design is more than maxed out, this means 1dxs in late 2014, 5d4 in 2015, 6d in 2016... unless Canon updates the 5d3/6d with the dual cmos design like on the 70d.

eml58

• 1D X
  • 1Dx
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2013, 05:47:54 AM »
Basically Heaven without Death, 1Dx + Canon/Phase One 45MP, quickly followed by Divorce.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

M.ST

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2013, 06:22:03 AM »
Canon is in negotiations with the medium format manufacturers.

Expect, that a Canon medium format camera hit the market next year or in 2015.

If Canon wait a long time for putting the 1D Xs, 5D Mark 4 and 7D Mark II on the market, then Canon is loosing a lot of customers. That´s the fact. I am not willing to wait for the mentioned cameras for longer than half a year from now.

Where is the 12-24 2.8 L or 14-24 2.8 L lens? Where is the 100-400 IS replacement?

IsaacImage

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
    • www.IsaacImage.com
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2013, 07:51:32 AM »

Where is the 12-24 2.8 L or 14-24 2.8 L lens? Where is the 100-400 IS replacement?

Sooooo agree about 14-24....so missing this quality (((

scottkinfw

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • kasden.smug.com
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2013, 08:15:00 AM »
A bit of clarification please.  The gear part is the heaven part?

Basically Heaven without Death, 1Dx + Canon/Phase One 45MP, quickly followed by Divorce.
sek Cameras: 5D III, 5D II, EOS M  Lenses:  24-70 2.8 II IS, 24-105 f4L, 70-200 f4L IS, 70-200 f2.8L IS II, EF 300 f4L IS, EF 400 5.6L, 300 2.8 IS II, Samyang 14 mm 2.8 Flashes: 580 EX II600EX-RT X 2, ST-E3-RT
Plus lots of stuff that just didn't work for me

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2013, 08:15:00 AM »

Lichtgestalt

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2013, 08:44:10 AM »
If Canon wait a long time for putting the 1D Xs, 5D Mark 4 and 7D Mark II on the market, then Canon is loosing a lot of customers. That´s the fact.

correct me if im wrong but you are only one... not a lot?!

the MF market is not that big.
sure canon has to look for new business opportunities as P&S is breaking away.

but what you wrote is just the usual "do as i say or i predict doom" that we hear for the last 4-5 years. still canon is doing relatively fine in the camera biz.

I am not willing to wait for the mentioned cameras for longer than half a year from now.

say goodbye to canon then!   ;D LOL

if someone needs MF... buy it.
i have a phase one for the studio and i see no reason why anyone should wait for canon to enter MF.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 08:49:01 AM by Lichtgestalt »

Sabaki

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2013, 09:26:15 AM »
Can you guys educate me on medium format photography?
1. What does it do better than a standard DSLR?
2. What doesn't it do as well?
3. What genres/styles of photography are better suited to medium format?
4. Would medium format require specialized lenses or would the current EF/EF-S lenses work? (Ok, maybe not EF-S)

Thanks everybody :)
Canon EOS 500D | Canon EOS 7D mk II |  100mmL f/2.8 IS Macro | 24-70mmL f/2.8 mk II | 70-200mmL f/4.0 IS | 400mmL f/5.6 | 50mm f/1.8 | EF-S 10-22mm | Canon 600 RT |

TimC

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2013, 09:28:10 AM »
I've just signed up to CanonRumors to join the debate on this because I am rather worried by the medium format rumors.

Canon is known for crippling its own products.  The most obvious example is the video performance of Canon DSLRs, which have been deliberately held back to protect Canon's camcorder and later Cinema EOS lines.

I fear that if Canon is working on a medium format system, it will be the end of image quality improvements in their 35mm format DSLRs.  If Canon introduce a medium format system, full frame and APS-C cameras will likely be held at around the 20 megapixel mark, with improvements only coming in low light performance.  These will be targeted at the photojournalist and event photographer.  Indeed, this is what we have seen over the last few years.  Those of us who want the highest image quality - dynamic range and resolution - will be pushed to the medium format system. 

monkeyhand

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2013, 09:33:43 AM »
Why would you buy a 44mp camera to shoot 4K video?  Seems like overkill or is there an advantage I'm missing?
5DII, 100 2.8, MP-E 65, 50 1.4, 28 2.8 IS, 17-40L

sanj

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2013, 10:44:55 AM »
Why would you buy a 44mp camera to shoot 4K video?  Seems like overkill or is there an advantage I'm missing?

Dont know. Never done that before.

ajfotofilmagem

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2013, 10:58:13 AM »
Can you guys educate me on medium format photography?
1. What does it do better than a standard DSLR?
2. What doesn't it do as well?
3. What genres/styles of photography are better suited to medium format?
4. Would medium format require specialized lenses or would the current EF/EF-S lenses work? (Ok, maybe not EF-S)

Thanks everybody :)
1 - In the days of film, to achieve the highest image quality was inevitable film size bigger than 24x36mm. Yes, until the Second World War, the film 24x36mm was considered small for the requirement for professional quality. Even in the 60s, some news magazines with colorful pictures forced their photographers to cover violent conflicts, running from the police with Hasselblad cameras in hand.
2 - These cameras weigh several kilograms, and are not even agile.
3 - A photography studio and landscape are what medium format is better.
4 - The lens medium format are larger and heavier than their counterparts. A simple F3.5 wide angle lens for medium format can weigh more than 1 kg and costs several thousand dollars.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 11:03:54 AM by ajfotofilmagem »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2013, 10:58:13 AM »

Sella174

• 1D Mark IV
  • So there!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2013, 11:47:08 AM »
I fear that if Canon is working on a medium format system, it will be the end of image quality improvements in their 35mm format DSLRs.  If Canon introduce a medium format system, full frame and APS-C cameras will likely be held at around the 20 megapixel mark, with improvements only coming in low light performance.  These will be targeted at the photojournalist and event photographer.  Indeed, this is what we have seen over the last few years.  Those of us who want the highest image quality - dynamic range and resolution - will be pushed to the medium format system.

I agree. Add to that the fact that Canon is shearing us by perpetuating the myth of sensor cost ... when in reality a 44MP medium format sensor would be equivalent to ... what ... a 10MP APS-C sensor?
Happily ignoring the laws of physics and the rules of photography to create better pictures.

unfocused

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2013, 12:22:36 PM »
A grain of salt on these bits of information, as they’re from unknown sources.

More likely a couple pounds of salt.

Canon is already heavily invested in one dying market (point and shoot), why would they sink millions into another? Medium Format is a money pit with shrinking demand and marginal improvements in quality. If Canon were to get into the Medium Format business, it would likely be in a very targeted way that focuses on the highest end of the market, similar to their cinema offerings. Even then, it seems unlikely, given that Medium Format is not much of a money-maker for the existing companies.

As for a high megapixel camera. Comparing the sales of the 5DIII and the D800, it looks as though Canon made the right choice in targeting a market that actually exists, rather than focusing on bragging rights for a big megapixel sensor. Canon will offer a high megapixel option only if they can it without much new investment in research, development and production. 

On the other hand, surveillance is a growth industry without a clear, well-capitalized market leader. Canon is well-positioned to be able to dominate the market if they choose to do so.

pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2013, 12:22:36 PM »