April 20, 2014, 10:10:34 AM

Author Topic: *UPDATE* Fujinon for Canon? [CR1]  (Read 6687 times)

Edwin Herdman

• 6D
    • View Profile
Re: *UPDATE* Fujinon for Canon? [CR1]
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2011, 03:23:33 PM »
Fuji has been lucky not to go down the same path as Kodak - both are companies which used Nikon bodies to create some of the earlier DSLRs (in the case of Kodak, the first DSLR was based on a Nikon body), both were companies with their own history of film, lenses, and cameras, and both struggled to or ignored building their own brand of digital cameras, with the result that Kodak has tried to get by with selling rebranded third party cameras and, more recently, the prospect of patent licensing (so basically an IP clearinghouse at this point) and Fuji has seen its public presence recede greatly.  It's strange that both would seem to struggle with sensor production, since both were early players, even before Nikon and Canon.  I'm not sure what the "magic ingredient" was that let Nikon and Canon take off and not Fuji or Canon, but having a stock of pro bodies and especially lenses can't have hurt.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2011, 03:23:33 PM »

ronderick

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2011, 11:39:59 PM »
Well, just finished reading the new update at DCwatch on the x10 announcement in Japan

http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/20111005_481838.html (Japanese)

It seems like Fujifilm is determined to test out the possibility of having a interchangeable lens, mirror-less
FF camera. That's quite an ambition there, I must say.

Coming to think of it, Fuji and Canon might be actually thinking along the same line - going FF.

So, putting some of the related rumors in place:
- a low-cost FF on Canon's chart
- Fuji possibly making Fujinon lens for Canon bodies
- Fuji going 35mm fullsize, low-noise sensor (albeit aiming for the mirror-less market)

Coincidence? Looks like things are getting quite interesting for the 2012 CES, especially for the two companies who haven't shown any response for the EVIL market...

Canon EOS 1D MKIV, EF 24-105mm F/4L, EF 70-200mm F/2.8L, TS-E 17mm F/4L, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro
FujiFilm FinePix X100

moreorless

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2011, 07:41:40 AM »
Well, just finished reading the new update at DCwatch on the x10 announcement in Japan

http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/20111005_481838.html (Japanese)

It seems like Fujifilm is determined to test out the possibility of having a interchangeable lens, mirror-less
FF camera. That's quite an ambition there, I must say.

Coming to think of it, Fuji and Canon might be actually thinking along the same line - going FF.

So, putting some of the related rumors in place:
- a low-cost FF on Canon's chart
- Fuji possibly making Fujinon lens for Canon bodies
- Fuji going 35mm fullsize, low-noise sensor (albeit aiming for the mirror-less market)

Coincidence? Looks like things are getting quite interesting for the 2012 CES, especially for the two companies who haven't shown any response for the EVIL market...

It seems unlikely to me but might some kind of m43 like allianece take place?

I actually think that FF mirrorless might turn out to be a bigger market that crop. With the latter your IMHO always going to have more of the userbase wanting zooms that unbalance a system where as the former are more likely to accept compact primes that make the most if size./weight savings.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2011, 07:41:40 AM »