November 26, 2014, 12:45:27 AM

Author Topic: More PS help with a image  (Read 4978 times)

wsgroves

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Muddy Creek Studios
More PS help with a image
« on: September 24, 2013, 04:50:48 PM »
Hi guys.
How would you go about fixing this. Raw really doesnt do anything (to me). I cant figure out how to get the exp down on her skin (noob).
Any help is appreciated.

Scott
1D Mark II, 5D3, 7D
Please check out my site.
http://muddycreekstudios.4ormat.com/

canon rumors FORUM

More PS help with a image
« on: September 24, 2013, 04:50:48 PM »

Jim Saunders

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
Re: More PS help with a image
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2013, 06:05:59 PM »
Lightroom 5:  Exposure -0.24, contrast +20, highlights -100, shadows +88, clarity +10, vibrance +10.  Maybe two minutes' work.

Jim
See what I see: 6500K, 160 cd/m^2, ICC 2, gamma 2.2.

wsgroves

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Muddy Creek Studios
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2013, 06:30:43 PM »
Thanks Jim I will have a look.

Scott
1D Mark II, 5D3, 7D

Jim Saunders

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2013, 07:54:46 PM »
No worries.  If you're not using manual exposure then hightlight tone priority might help on shots like that to get the detail on the flowers and her face.

Jim

Famateur

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2013, 08:12:25 PM »
Couple of thoughts...to take with a grain of salt as I'm just some dude on the internet.

Preventive

I know you're asking for advice on fixing what's already happened, but it's helpful to know that the lighting conditions were setting you up for this challenge to begin with. Of course, we can't always choose when and where we shoot! That being said...

1. Even with adjustments, detail in the white bow isn't recoverable -- it's burned (at least in the JPEG). This is a product of the harsh light. Looking at the shadows, I'd guess this was shot somewhere around 10-11AM or 3-4PM -- definitely unforgiving light.

2.) I know it seems counter-intuitive in bright light like this, but fill flash would be one way to tackle the challenging light (one reason why I still like pop-up flashes). You can bring your exposure down to tame the harsh sun and then fill with an appropriate amount of light. Easier said than done, though, when you have a baby turning into the sun, then away from the sun, then back into the sun!

3.) Another option, if you have someone to assist you, is to use a diffuser of some kind to soften the light (even a white bed sheet would probably work). That would take the edge off the highlights, allowing more recovery of detail.

Corrective

Since you're working with a JPEG file, you're a lot more limited in what you can do to correct things like exposure and white balance. Jim demonstrated well how much you can improve the file from what it is, but I'm confident it could be improved much further from a RAW file. That being said...

1.) The next thing to correct after the exposure/highlights is the orange glow (kind of like banding) that is visible along the middle and sun-edge of each arm and at a 45 degree angle on the sunlit cheek (this can happen in sunset images, too). You might need to use a brush or layer to tone down the saturation. The challenge is that you can't just bring down the orange, or the rest of the skin will look pale and sickly. If this was a RAW file, it might be possible to desaturate the orange channel and then adjust color temperature to bring back the warmth (you'd have to do that locally, though, so as not to spoil the white balance of the whole image.

2. I'm curious to know what it is about RAW that doesn't work for you. When I first started dabbling in RAW processing, I was using Digital Photo Professional. I found it difficult and tedious, and I struggled to get results that were better than the JPEGs coming from my camera (although the CA correction was very nice). Lightroom, on the other hand, is much easier, in my opinion, and more powerful. I really enjoy using it, and my processing results have improved. With a few good tutorials on YouTube, you can get a good start. If you haven't yet tried Lightroom, you might consider it.

3.) Just to beat the RAW vs. JPEG horse some more (I thought I saw it twitching still), the camera makes white balance, contrast, noise, sharpening and other decisions for you, baked into the image. In this case, it looks like it sacrificed highlight detail for shadow detail. You can see the shaded side of her face okay, but her bow and sunlit skin are fried. With a RAW image in Lightroom, you could selectively bring down highlights to recover any detail that's there while still boosting the shadows as necessary. Local adjustment brushes give you even more flexibility.

Anyway, I hope this is helpful, and I apologize if you already know or have thought of all this stuff. Maybe it will be useful for someone else.

By the way, if you have a RAW file for this image, I'd be interested to see how much more pushing/pulling can be done.

wsgroves

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Muddy Creek Studios
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2013, 08:30:07 PM »
Thanks Fam and I agree with everything you said and you are right.
I was just out shooting pix at the park of my little girl and knew the light was bad (once I got there).
I didnt have any extra equip on hand.

As far as RAW, I do have the RAW file...I meant I wasn't able to get it looking right either in PS is all.
I always shoot raw +mjpg.
I cant upload the raw here as it wont let me.
Scott
1D Mark II, 5D3, 7D

wsgroves

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Muddy Creek Studios
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2013, 08:35:44 PM »
1D Mark II, 5D3, 7D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2013, 08:35:44 PM »

Jim Saunders

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2013, 08:48:28 PM »
How does this grab you?  The flowers are largely blown but the rest seems at least ok.

Jim

Famateur

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2013, 10:39:46 PM »
How does this grab you?  The flowers are largely blown but the rest seems at least ok.

Jim

I see you tamed the orange glow quite nicely. Well done, Jim.

Famateur

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2013, 10:45:34 PM »
I was just out shooting pix at the park of my little girl and knew the light was bad (once I got there).
I didnt have any extra equip on hand.

I know how that is! You gotta do what you can with what you have, and it looks like you did pretty well. 

I meant I wasn't able to get it looking right either in PS is all.

Gotcha. Jim beat me to the RAW file (thanks for posting that) and did a great job with it. What do you think of the before and after?

I might fiddle around with the RAW file, too, if I can squeeze it in tonight.

By the way, adorable little girl you have there! She'll grow up way too fast...

Jim Saunders

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2013, 10:46:45 PM »

Jim

I see you tamed the orange glow quite nicely. Well done, Jim.

Thanks, I didn't do anything specifically to fix it; The only local corrections were brushstrokes to her face to bring up the exposure and to tame the flowers.  Maybe LR5 does something different on JPEG export.

Jim

Pi

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Math and Photography
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2013, 11:09:32 PM »
Not an easy image. Blown highlights and low contrast.

aseek

• SX60 HS
  • ©® stalker
    • View Profile
    • aseek.ca
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2013, 12:03:37 AM »
I was curious to see if I could help improve the original... sorry if it's a departure from the original. I'm new at this so I may have butchered it  :-\

(edit: replaced it with another edit)
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 12:20:31 AM by aseek »
6D, 50D, 70-200 f4, 50 f1.8, 40 f2.8
(shopping for tripod legs ~$200 -help!-3-section-steady)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2013, 12:03:37 AM »

SirClownfish

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2013, 01:02:39 AM »
Not an easy one, but here's my try. Processed in RawTherapee + a very minor brightness/contrast adjustment in GIMP. Here is the .pp3 from RT: http://pastebin.com/R5wdUMwb

Famateur

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2013, 03:33:06 AM »
Not an easy one, but here's my try. Processed in RawTherapee + a very minor brightness/contrast adjustment in GIMP. [/url]

Yours is the best rendition for recovering highlights in the bow and smooth skin tone in the arms. Nice job.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2013, 03:33:06 AM »