August 31, 2014, 12:52:18 AM

Author Topic: Experiences Switching From Nikon  (Read 6154 times)

Sameer Thawani

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
Experiences Switching From Nikon
« on: September 25, 2013, 01:43:26 PM »
I wanted to ask if any Canon users here have switched from Nikon and if so what are their experiences? Specifically can you please comment on:

- What Nikon bodies, lenses, flashes you were using and what you are using now
- Experiences surrounding gear quality
- Other experiences in general.
- How long have you used Canon for and would you do it again?

Specifically if anybody has any experience going from Nikon D300s to Canon 7d &/or Nikon 17-55/24-70 to Canon versions of these lenses, please do chime in. I am considering a switch (I slightly prefer Canon ergonomics and also believe that Canon 7D image quality is superior to Nikon D300s). You would think it would be easy to find opinions of those who have switched on the internet, but apparently not.

Thanks - and do note that isn't meant to inflame a Canon vs Nikon thing in any way.

« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 12:02:22 PM by Sameer Thawani »

canon rumors FORUM

Experiences Switching From Nikon
« on: September 25, 2013, 01:43:26 PM »

duydaniel

• 7D
    • View Profile
Re: Experiences Switching From Nikon
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2013, 02:00:43 PM »
I don't think you are allowed to mention the N company here.

Anyway, back in 2012 I wanted to get a D800 but it was out of stock forever.
So I ended up with a 5D3 24-105

Regret? I don't know. Maybe one day I will get a Nikon when I have extra cash.
I think they are very close. Nikon may be slightly better for landscape lover like me

but at the end of the day, your glass is more important.
Both AK and M16 can kill, just matter of preference

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2013, 02:59:34 PM »
I bought a D800 when they first came out.  I also bought a used 24-70 f/2.8G, a used 80-200mm f/2.8D, a 200-400mm f/4 on Craigslist, and already had a 50mm 1.4D lens along with several other lesser lenses.

The D800 was a very nice camera below IS0 800.  At ISO 100, the DR was exceptional, and in difficult lighting made a big difference.  Its a great camera at base ISO.

However, I am mostly a low light photographer, and the camera did not perform nearly so well as my Canon 5D MK III when I got to ISO 12800 and higher.  The DR was slightly less, and the metering system was consistently fooled into over exposing by unpredictable amounts.

Add to that the horrible CA's of the 24-70G, and Nikons poor customer service record.

After about 30 days, I sold it while they were still scarce and made $400 on the deal.  I sold the lenses for a profit as well, so it was a profitable camera to get rid of.

Its kinda strange, because the person I bought the lenses from has a brother who is a noted pro photographer (It was his 200-400mm lens I bought) later bought a D800.  About 6 months ago, she listed it for sale on Craigslist and finally sold it for under $2000.  No one wants them very badly now.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 03:02:48 PM by Mt Spokane Photography »

ajfotofilmagem

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2013, 03:47:09 PM »
I don't think you are allowed to mention the N company here.

Anyway, back in 2012 I wanted to get a D800 but it was out of stock forever.
So I ended up with a 5D3 24-105

Regret? I don't know. Maybe one day I will get a Nikon when I have extra cash.
I think they are very close. Nikon may be slightly better for landscape lover like me

but at the end of the day, your glass is more important.
Both AK and M16 can kill, just matter of preference
I'm not the only one that compares cameras and guns. :P I consider myself a sniper rifle. I'll keep an eye on the display and the finger on the trigger, waiting for the right moment to make one or two photos. There are the machine-gun shooters, making 10 photos always equal to anything, even a cake standing on the table. ??? Never had Nikon, but using friends always found strange ergonomics, and controls makes no sense. However, current Nikon cameras can make great pictures too. ;)
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 05:15:08 PM by ajfotofilmagem »

SDPhotography

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
    • SD Photography
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2013, 04:10:17 PM »
Here is an interesting article from the publishers of Oopoomoo.com (Darwin Wiggett and Samantha Chrysanthou) discussing this very topic. One is a Canon shooter, the other a Nikon shooter. It is a little dated equipment wise, but interesting none the less.

http://www.oopoomoo.com/2012/03/personal-style-is-your-camera-determining-yours/

Cheers

SD
7D - EF-s 15-85, EF-s 60 Macro, EF 70-200 f4, EF 40 Pancake

PavelR

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2013, 04:34:31 PM »
I switched about two years ago from Nikon d2x/d200 to Canon 1d4/1ds3.
Reasons:
* no new professional crop body and no more than 12mpx
* no 300/4 with VR
* no fast AF of 135, 80-400
* no 400/5.6
* no good 17-55/2.8 VR
* FL about 138mm on 70-200/2.8 II on MFD
* not many local second hand offers
A lot of things changed - 70-200/4, 14-24, 24/1.4, 35/1.4, ...
I'm still not used to Canon camera handling - I'm missing lot of controls, information in the viewfinder and LCD [selected mode, selected AF point, numeric exposure compensation, card free space] + 5th. battery on a flash, consistent flash exposure.
Canon lenses except 50/1.4, 85/1.8 and 14-24 are on par with Nikkors; second hand offers are much wider and prices are better...
It looks like I stay on Canon world for some time...

Skulker

• 7D
  • PP is no vice and as shot is no virtue
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2013, 05:12:50 PM »
I'm a Canon man and very happy with my 1Dx and 5D3. Having said that I considered swapping to Nikon when I had a 7D and was buying my 300 f2.8. Because of the quality of the D3 images I was seeing, and the 200-400. I never changed, got the 300, then the 1Dx then the 5D3.

Comparing results from the D4 with the 1Dx I think I made the right choice. There not a difference worth changing for now as far as I can see.

So I would say don't swap in a hurry. Its photographers who take pictures not cameras.  ;D
If you debate with a fool onlookers can find it VERY difficult to tell the difference.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2013, 05:12:50 PM »

Patrick

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Patrick's Fotos
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2013, 05:27:46 PM »
 Skulker said: "Its photographers who take pictures not cameras.  ;D"

Indeed. All too easy to forget that!

Viggo

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2013, 05:40:44 PM »

Although that is a very common phrase I disagree. If that was true we all would be shooting compacts because they would be good enough if we just practiced enough.

It's no guarantee to get great pictures with great gear, it is very easy to shoot cr@ppy pictures with great gear, but there are great limits to lesser gear that isn't possible to overcome.
1dx, 24-70 L II, 50 Art, 200 f2.0 L

Ewinter

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2013, 05:48:28 PM »

Although that is a very common phrase I disagree. If that was true we all would be shooting compacts because they would be good enough if we just practiced enough.

It's no guarantee to get great pictures with great gear, it is very easy to shoot cr@ppy pictures with great gear, but there are great limits to lesser gear that isn't possible to overcome.

Amen. And I think there are shots I can take with the 1DX that just aren't possible with the 5dIII.
I give some people either camera and have to tell them where the shutter button is.

AcutancePhotography

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2013, 12:29:23 PM »

I wonder how many threads/posts there on this site that deal with equipment and agonzing comparisions between gear as compared to the number of threads about technique?   ;D

"It's the photographer not the camera" is something we tell non-photographers. When photographers get together, it's all about the gear baby!  LoL

To the question of switching sides...

I am in the process of seriously considering jumping ship.  I don't have a significant investment in cameras or lenses so there are no significant legacy costs involved.  This is an advantage to me as I can look at the multiple choices with a pretty open mind.

What I truly don't understand is how photographers who DO have a significant investment in glass (and let's be honest, it does not take much to make our investment significant!!!) to consider dumping everything and switching sides.  Yikes.

That is one of the reasons I have been taking a few months to make my decision.  To me, what ever ship I jump on to and once I make my investment in good glass, that's the system I will stick with.

Do other photographers who do have significant kit jump ship often?  Right now canikon may have the "best"  but in a few years nicanon will come out with something "better" only to be followed by canikon.....  One could spend a lot of money jumping and rejumping ship when ever something "best" comes along.  I can't imagine that is cost effective.

I guess my rambling point is that just because canikon comes out with something "better" does not make my nicanon "bad".  The bottom line is:  Is my camera good enough for my purposes?

But then it is all about the gear and not the photographer.  LoL
I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light

Sameer Thawani

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2013, 12:38:02 PM »
I appreciate the replies on this thread, please keep them coming. It's helpful to know what experiences have felt like.

As for the notion "it's not the camera, it's the photographer" - I don't see how it's relevant here. I am not considering switching to Canon because it will make me a better photographer - as I stated in my original post I prefer Canon ergonomics. 

Random Orbits

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2013, 01:08:25 PM »
I am in the process of seriously considering jumping ship.  I don't have a significant investment in cameras or lenses so there are no significant legacy costs involved.  This is an advantage to me as I can look at the multiple choices with a pretty open mind.

What I truly don't understand is how photographers who DO have a significant investment in glass (and let's be honest, it does not take much to make our investment significant!!!) to consider dumping everything and switching sides.  Yikes.

That is one of the reasons I have been taking a few months to make my decision.  To me, what ever ship I jump on to and once I make my investment in good glass, that's the system I will stick with.

Do other photographers who do have significant kit jump ship often?  Right now canikon may have the "best"  but in a few years nicanon will come out with something "better" only to be followed by canikon.....  One could spend a lot of money jumping and rejumping ship when ever something "best" comes along.  I can't imagine that is cost effective.

I guess my rambling point is that just because canikon comes out with something "better" does not make my nicanon "bad".  The bottom line is:  Is my camera good enough for my purposes?

But then it is all about the gear and not the photographer.  LoL

Those that have the means use both systems and maintain both systems.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2013, 01:08:25 PM »

RGF

• 1D X
  • How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2013, 02:32:40 PM »
I switched from Nikon to Canon around 2000 (after 25 years with Nikon) - from F5 to EOS3 and 1V.   Won't comment on that switch - but to this day I still instinctually turn my focus the Nikon direction.

About 9 months ago I investigating returning to Nikon and decided to stick with Canon.   The reasons are another story

Sporgon

• 1D X
  • 5% of gear used 95% of the time
    • View Profile
    • www.buildingpanoramics.com
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2013, 03:15:20 PM »
Funnily enough I was a Nikon shooter for 25 years too. I used the D200 and D300 in digital small format but  began using Canon in 2006 due to the introduction of the 'affordable' 5D. At that time Nikon were on record as stating they would never produce a 35mm size digital.

Straight away I liked the 'honesty' of the Canon. Difficult to describe really. Contols are positive and well placed. Menus are good and intuitive. Reliability 100%. On the later Nikons the control wheels were sloppy and the rubber, which would peel away from the body, fouled the front command wheel. Really didn't like the translucent LCD screen ( which Canon now use on the 5D and 7D). Manual focus on the better Nikkor lenses was nothing like the Canon L, on the cheaper lenses it was hopeless - no damping at all. No lens such as the 24-105 at the time. I could go on and on.

I always felt the 'IQ' from the D200 and D300 was good, the original 5D required more care IMO, specifically harsh, abrupt contrast it you weren't careful. Resolution was much better on the Canon as you'd expect from FF.

I've never owned a 7D so can't give an opinion on how they really compare. Interesting that Nikon never actually attempted to match the 7D though.

Regarding 'would I change back?', put it this way. When I see a 5D Mkiii and a D800 side by side I just laugh  ;D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2013, 03:15:20 PM »