April 16, 2014, 01:55:23 AM

Author Topic: Experiences Switching From Nikon  (Read 4957 times)

sdsr

• 6D
    • View Profile
Re: Experiences Switching From Nikon
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2013, 03:53:44 PM »
Skulker said: "Its photographers who take pictures not cameras.  ;D"

Indeed. All too easy to forget that!

Photographers can't take pictures without cameras and lenses. 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2013, 03:53:44 PM »

sdsr

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2013, 04:23:17 PM »
My serious interest in photography began with my dissatifaction with my first dslr, an entry level Nikon (D3100).  The problem wasn't that I didn't like the photos I could take with it but that I hated the ergonomics of the thing, and when the autofocus stopped working completely while I was on vacation in Paris I stopped trusting it and started investigating alternatives.  For various reasons I ended up with a Pentax K-5, but after a while I decided I wanted to try FF and, as there's no such thing in Pentax-land, rented a 5DII (lingering anti-Nikon bias led me there rather than to a D700) and a couple of lenses and immediately jumped ship again - it was obvious that the picture quality was better, and the mechanical/focusing superiority of the Canon lenses, however well-built Pentax lenses can be, was shocking.  Each time I jumped I sold all the old equipment; "lost" money on the bodies, as I had bought them new, but probably broke even overall on the lenses - those who worry about the cost of jumping ship probably shouldn't.  To the extent I "lost" money I didn't - it was worth it for the use I had of the cameras and for the learning experience.

Since then I've wondered about Nikon FF and, out of sheer curiosity, rented D800e and D600 (+ a few lenses, of course) on the off-chance it seemed like an agreeable idea to add some Nikon equipment to my Canon gear, only to end up spending more on Canon.  I disliked the ergonomics of their FF bodies as much as their intro bodies, and didn't think the lenses I tried were quite as good mechanically.  I don't think there was any significant difference in the resulting images (leaving aside the superior resolution of the 800e and the better dynamic range of both, neither of which would be of much use to me most of the time), but I just don't much like taking photos with Nikon equipment: the mechanical act of taking photos just seems so much more pleasant with Canon (and Pentax).  There are hardly any Nikon FF lenses for which I have lens envy, whereas I would have considerable lens envy if I switched to Nikon.  So instead of adding Nikon, I've taken a rather different route and added smaller stuff - Olympus and Panasonic M43 (I prefer their ergonomics to Nikon's too...).

I can't answer your precise questions re APS-C equipment comparisons, but you might find it useful to try the lens comparisons at the digital picture, where you will be able to compare equivalent Canon and Nikon lenses, at least in terms of sharpness.

Apop

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Apophoto
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2013, 05:14:00 PM »
I wanted to ask if any Canon users here have switched from Nikon and if so what are their experiences? Specifically can you please comment on:

- What Nikon bodies, lenses, flashes you were using and what you are using now
- Experiences surrounding gear quality
- Other experiences in general.
- How long have you used Canon for and would you do it again?

Specifically if anybody has any experience going from Nikon D300s to Canon 7d &/or Nikon 17-55/24-70 to Canon versions of these lenses, please do chime in. I am considering a switch (I slightly prefer Canon ergonomics and also believe that Canon 7D image quality is superior to Nikon D300s). You would think it would be easy to find opinions of those who have switched on the internet, but apparently not.

Thanks - and do note that isn't meant to inflame a Canon vs Nikon thing in any way.

Switched in January this year or so,

Used 200-400 vr2, 70-200vr2, 14-24 on a d800, before that a d7000
Gear quality was great, Only disliked the 200-400 a bit, for filter holder and focus ring ''sturdiness''(felt a bit hollow/cheap and got grinding dust/sand noises quite fast.
One other small thins was that i had to clean my sensor fairly often due to some Oil residue? , absolutely not a deal breaker, but it is something I had to remember.

Other than that no other complaints, the gear was great, but I liked the feel of canon , lenses , suits me better for wildlife atm with also increased fps-buffer compared to the nikon model I had.

now canon 1d4, 300 2.8, 70-200,

« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 05:16:25 PM by Apop »

Don Haines

• 1D X
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2013, 05:18:05 PM »
When I first started looking at DSLR's my impression of Nikon was that the user interface was designed by programmers, not photographers. I found the Canon user interface to be better, but at that time I thought that the Olympus user interface was the best for introductory cameras. I still think so, but now I would have to add that I like the Canon user interface on the 60D or 5D2 even more...

I still have not gotten the opportunity to play with the Canon touchscreen interface so I have no opinions as to how good or bad it is.... but I am certainly curious.....
The best camera is the one in your hands

Skulker

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2013, 05:08:06 PM »

Photographers can take photographs with cameras and lenses.

My point is that it is the artistic input that turns the photograph into a picture. And artists can defiantly make pictures without cameras. I was trying to make the point that the photographer is a very important part of the system.

Mt Spokane Photography

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2013, 05:37:55 PM »

My point is that it is the artistic input that turns the photograph into a picture. And artists can defiantly make pictures without cameras. I was trying to make the point that the photographer is a very important part of the system.

That's true, but read the title of the topic again.  He is asking for experiences from those who have switched.

Skulker

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2013, 05:59:39 PM »

That's true, but read the title of the topic again.  He is asking for experiences from those who have switched.

By all means feel free to read the rest of the post that was only partly quoted. You will then see why it is relevant. ::)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2013, 05:59:39 PM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2013, 06:06:13 PM »

By all means feel free to read the rest of the post that was only partly quoted. You will then see why it is relevant. ::)
Here, you read the OP, I'll copy it for you!

"
I wanted to ask if any Canon users here have switched from Nikon and if so what are their experiences? Specifically can you please comment on:

- What Nikon bodies, lenses, flashes you were using and what you are using now
- Experiences surrounding gear quality
- Other experiences in general.
- How long have you used Canon for and would you do it again?

Specifically if anybody has any experience going from Nikon D300s to Canon 7d &/or Nikon 17-55/24-70 to Canon versions of these lenses, please do chime in. I am considering a switch (I slightly prefer Canon ergonomics and also believe that Canon 7D image quality is superior to Nikon D300s). You would think it would be easy to find opinions of those who have switched on the internet, but apparently not.

Thanks - and do note that isn't meant to inflame a Canon vs Nikon thing in any way."

And he once again posted:
I appreciate the replies on this thread, please keep them coming. It's helpful to know what experiences have felt like.

As for the notion "it's not the camera, it's the photographer" - I don't see how it's relevant here. I am not considering switching to Canon because it will make me a better photographer - as I stated in my original post I prefer Canon ergonomics.

verysimplejason

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2013, 08:56:46 PM »
I have used D90 and D5000 several times.  My friend lend them to me sometime ago.  He's using Canon for our work and Nikon for personal use. 

I love Nikon cameras for landscape.  I just like the colors and the IQ.  They're a lot better than Canon for landscapes at least for my taste.  I just don't like them for portraits.  I have to PP a lot to get my preferred skin tone.  All in all, I'll use it only in favor of Canon if I'm more into landscape and macro.  Unfortunately, I shoot a lot more portraits so I'm still using Canon up to now.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 08:59:37 PM by verysimplejason »

Skulker

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2013, 06:06:11 PM »

Here, you read the OP, I'll copy it for you!

MSP it appears that you wish to start picking a verbal dispute. I have no wish to get involved in diverting this thread away from the topic of the OP who was interested in experience of switching from Nikon to Canon.

I thought the OP might be interested in my reasons for deciding not to switch having been in much the same position as he is now.

I apologize to him that my post enabled someone to get started on one of these unnecessary, unwarranted and distracting directions. I shall not respond further to this distraction.

Sameer Thawani

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2013, 04:42:06 PM »
I apologize to him that my post enabled someone to get started on one of these unnecessary, unwarranted and distracting directions. I shall not respond further to this distraction.

Skulker, it's ok. I appreciate the apology but no need to apologize. Don't take this stuff personally. It's all good.

Sameer Thawani

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2013, 05:17:52 PM »

There are hardly any Nikon FF lenses for which I have lens envy, whereas I would have considerable lens envy if I switched to Nikon. 
I can't answer your precise questions re APS-C equipment comparisons, but you might find it useful to try the lens comparisons at the digital picture, where you will be able to compare equivalent Canon and Nikon lenses, at least in terms of sharpness.

SDSR, you know your post completely echoes my exact sentiments pertaining to Nikon ergonomics. It's funny, my first DSLR was a D3100 too, and I feel the same way about the controls. In any case, I wanted to ask about the Canon lens envy you are talking about. I have often heard this about Canon lenses, but don't know any specifics. What lenses does Canon posess in its arsenal that Nikon doesn't? All the major lenses (f/2.8 zooms, 1.4's primes) that I know of seem to have their equivalents. Thanks.

Rui Brito

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2013, 06:04:12 PM »
MP-E 65? EF 85 1.2L? Not an expert on Nikon Lenses, but at least those two comes to mind.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2013, 06:04:12 PM »

privatebydesign

• 1D X
  • Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2013, 06:17:56 PM »
MP-E 65? EF 85 1.2L? Not an expert on Nikon Lenses, but at least those two comes to mind.

TS-E 17, the TS-E 24 is markedly better than the PC-E 24. The 50mm f1.0 and 50 f1.2 both with AF have no Nikon equivalent. Until the recent Nikon 80-400 the Canon 100-400 won a lot of people over, but even now the Nikon lens is much more expensive than the Canon.

Nikon had a distinct advantage with flashes until the 600 EX-RT came out, now the Canon system offers more.
Is Christmas really coming? I suppose it is..............

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2013, 06:17:56 PM »