October 02, 2014, 01:29:49 PM

Author Topic: New Processor for EOS line  (Read 6629 times)

Edwin Herdman

• 6D
    • View Profile
Re: New Processor for EOS line
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2011, 07:28:41 PM »
The Canon XF100/105/300/305 camcorders all use a "Canon DIGIC DV III Image Processor". Maybe there is a version 4 on the horizon to support the rumored new Super 35 camcorder.

Just a thought.
Now that's an interesting bit of info.  Thanks for finding the right angle on this one.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2011, 07:28:41 PM »

Mark D5 TEAM II

• 1D X
  • Proud N0ink 0wnz0r / crApple iFruitcake H4t3r
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2011, 05:18:32 AM »
That is correct, the videocams have Digic DV, so maybe the new DSLRs would have a separate Digic DV to offload EOS Movie processing to that chip and let Digic V handle image processing.
Nikon NSF16 5-Leaf Dual-Blade Industrial Fan ¦ Nikon NTMFI-H1 Dry Heavy Flat Iron ¦ Nikon Tough Mama NTMRC1-2S Rice Cooker “Limited Edition” ¦ Nikon Tough Mama NTMJK18-S Stainless Electric Kettle Plate Type ¦ Nikon NHT 2-in-1 Curling Iron & Straightener in One ¦ Nikon N4004s Decision Master System™

EYEONE

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2011, 01:53:29 PM »
There is a quite reliable source indicates that the new EOS body will having a brand new processor and it is not the digic5 appears in the powershot s100 and sx40. Anyone beside me hearing this news also?

Well the EOS line will not have the DigicV as it is in the S100. The DigicV in those cameras is limited to fit the uses of the camera. DigicV in the EOS cameras will be fully powered.

So I guess in some since you could be correct.

I doubt there will be more than one Digic5 processor, too costly to design and manufacture different processors.  But yes, via firmware, some features could be disabled or slowed down but unless Canon has some big surprise for the world, there are no new "magical" image processing techniques that would only be added to the new DSLRs.

That's exactly what I said.
Canon 5D Mark III w/BG-E11, Canon 7D w/BG-E7: EF 24-70mm f.2.8L, EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS II, EF 40mm f2.8 Pancake STM, Speedlite 430EXII + 430EXI, Canon EOS 3

Meh

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2011, 03:35:54 PM »
There is a quite reliable source indicates that the new EOS body will having a brand new processor and it is not the digic5 appears in the powershot s100 and sx40. Anyone beside me hearing this news also?

Well the EOS line will not have the DigicV as it is in the S100. The DigicV in those cameras is limited to fit the uses of the camera. DigicV in the EOS cameras will be fully powered.

So I guess in some since you could be correct.

I doubt there will be more than one Digic5 processor, too costly to design and manufacture different processors.  But yes, via firmware, some features could be disabled or slowed down but unless Canon has some big surprise for the world, there are no new "magical" image processing techniques that would only be added to the new DSLRs.

That's exactly what I said.

Ok,sure if that's what you meant then I should have prefaced my remark with "I agree..." before adding my comment that it would be the same chip and any differences would only be via firmware.

niccyboy

« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2011, 10:42:54 PM »
It will be interesting to see what processor they use in the mk3 etc. With the rumoured increase in video quality and the higher megapixel count, it will need to be pretty powerful.

Maybe dual digi v's?

It would be strange for an Eos model to go from a standalone photo camera processor to a video camera processor, surely building a processor that suits the exact needs of the machine is a far higher priority that using an existing processor from a line of products of which the sales dwarf that of the eos lines.

archangelrichard

« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2011, 12:45:25 AM »
according to another rumor they are going to make the nextgen video camera with PL mount and with EF mount - as an EOS model - so that camera would have a "new to EOS" processor

archangelrichard

« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2011, 12:51:54 AM »
sorry

Here http://www.canonrumors.com/2011/09/new-video-camera-information-cr1/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+canonrumors%2Frss+%28Canon+Rumors%29

From a forum post
Below is a post that appeared on the GTC forum in the UK.  Apparently they will be appearing in November, as we’ve reported previously.

“They will be badged as EOS, despite the fact they are video cameras, and there will be two versions – one for EF lenses, the other with an PL mount. I’m guessing here but the PL mount camera may offer more options than the EF version – e.g. SDI out and genlock… etc in the same way that the XF300/305 cameras have differentiated themselves.

“Its a Super35 4K sensor, but from what I have seen only records 1080 in-camera, using the same XF codec – i.e. 4:2:2 @ 50mbps. Perhaps the PL version will output 4K thru SDI?

“The size of the camera looks similar to that of the FS100, but more rounded/ergonomic. It has a similar LCD screen on top, but it seems more flexible – i.e. allowing for greater viewing angle/for versatility.

“This could be a killer camera, and one well worth waiting for if any of you guys are thinking of buying a F3/FS100 or AF100…”

A wish list, or something to it?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2011, 12:51:54 AM »

adrianfw

« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2011, 12:38:09 PM »
The processor is not digiv 5 or digi dv series...it will be a brand new processor series in canon..cheers ^^

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2011, 01:47:13 PM »
The Canon XF100/105/300/305 camcorders all use a "Canon DIGIC DV III Image Processor". Maybe there is a version 4 on the horizon to support the rumored new Super 35 camcorder.

Just a thought.
Now that's an interesting bit of info.  Thanks for finding the right angle on this one.

Agreed.  To expand on that, it's not just the high-end 'pro' like that uses Digic DV III, the entire Vixia/Legria line, right down to the lowest end RF100, use that chip as well.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Ivar

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2011, 05:25:44 PM »

As we are talking about Canon, then this is more than sure.

I only find it pity that I'm a Canon product user rather than having shares.

Meh

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2011, 08:27:50 PM »

As we are talking about Canon, then this is more than sure.

I only find it pity that I'm a Canon product user rather than having shares.

CAJ on New York.  Shares are down from the $52 peak earlier this year and there could be run ahead of the big Hollywood announcements.  I'm not buying though :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2011, 08:27:50 PM »