December 21, 2014, 04:41:13 PM

Author Topic: 5Diii or 6D coming from a 5Dii, and a lens to complicate the decision  (Read 3812 times)

JoaoPedro

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
Re: 5Diii or 6D coming from a 5Dii, and a lens to complicate the decision
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2013, 08:50:12 AM »
Thanks for your feedback.
Unfortunately I can't rent the cameras (there are no renting companies here), I'll have to make a decision on trying them   at the local store.

My main concern with the 6D is ending up being frustrated by the outer points AF performance. If it wasn't for that, the 6D is a total winner: much cheaper, image quality in pair or even superior to the 5D3, and I could upgrade my 70-200 as well.

The 5D3 seems the perfect bet for what can be seem as a downgrade in my kit: from two main bodies for different uses (5D2, all of my regular work; 7D, second body for extra range and a few sporting events a year) I would move to just one, the 5D3, that can do both things (keeping the 550D as a backup) and significantly upgrading high ISO image quality.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2013, 08:50:12 AM »

JoaoPedro

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2013, 11:50:46 AM »
Again, 6D users, one more question.
I've been reading the 6D manual but something isn't crystal clear to me, regarding AF operation.

Can you configure the camera to select the AF point directly through the multi controller (the inner part of the rear dial), without having to press first the dedicated AF area or point button?
And how do you set the camera for an instant return to the center AF point? By pressing the SET button?

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ... on superhero vacation!
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2013, 03:28:25 PM »
My main concern with the 6D is ending up being frustrated by the outer points AF performance.

If this is your main concern, you *will* get frustrated, the outer points aren't fully capable points but rather tracking helpers and a convenience for very good light conditions. With the 6D, you will have to focus & recompose, if that's not what you want then the 6D isn't for you.

I'd also rather have a 5d3, but it's nearly double the price ... fortunately I was well informed before I made the decision that the 6D is essentially a one focus point camera - and now you also know.

Can you configure the camera to select the AF point directly through the multi controller (the inner part of the rear dial), without having to press first the dedicated AF area or point button?

You can either set the af points with the multicontroller, or press the top right button and then use both wheels. Both options aren't very quick to navigate, btw.

And how do you set the camera for an instant return to the center AF point? By pressing the SET button?

No, this is not possible with the Canon firmware - and when they removed this very obvious option from SET they were probably rolling on the floor, laughing and sniggering "Just get a 5d3, you jerks!".

But this will be fixed by Magic Lantern, so SET will have a as "set af to center point" even if Canon doesn't want us to have it.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2013, 03:28:25 PM »