July 25, 2014, 07:28:20 AM

Author Topic: Nikon goes Medium Format?  (Read 9209 times)

pharp

Re: Nikon goes Medium Format?
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2013, 08:19:27 PM »
http://p45plus.typepad.com/.a/6a00e54f92ffec88330120a871a1bd970b-popup

Something like this might be a real winner especially with the short back plane - could make smaller lenses. The larger the format, the less need there is for a mirror. Even a fixed lens model might find some takers - this could be made even smaller without the removeable back and in lens shutter. All this despite the sarcastic, unhelpful "comment" from LewisShermer.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 08:44:33 PM by pharp »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2013, 08:19:27 PM »

LewisShermer

• EOS M2
  • point shoot hope
    • View Profile
    • Business!
« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2013, 06:15:28 AM »

Something like this might be a real winner especially with the short back plane - could make smaller lenses. The larger the format, the less need there is for a mirror. Even a fixed lens model might find some takers - this could be made even smaller without the removeable back and in lens shutter. All this despite the sarcastic, unhelpful "comment" from LewisShermer.

It wasn't sarcasm, it was a proper double facepalm moment. one for each of you.
5Diii, 60D, 500D, EX580, loads of crappy flash guns... 28mm 1.8, Sigma 35mm 1.4 Art, 50mm 1.4, 100mm macro 2.8, 24-105mm 4L, 70-200mm 2.8L, lensbaby composer...

www.lewismaxwell.co.uk

pharp

« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2013, 08:25:14 AM »

Regardless of what you think that means - still unhelpful and better kept to yourself.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 08:53:27 AM by pharp »

9VIII

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2013, 01:40:52 PM »

I'm still struggling to find logical reasons that the flappy mirror box is so necessary.

I understand that for someone lugging around multiple bags full of gear the size of the camera isn't a big deal, but if it's unnecessary, and even inferior, why do you still want it?
-100% RAW-

pharp

« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2013, 03:38:14 PM »

I'm still struggling to find logical reasons that the flappy mirror box is so necessary.

I understand that for someone lugging around multiple bags full of gear the size of the camera isn't a big deal, but if it's unnecessary, and even inferior, why do you still want it?

We may yet get one from Canon mostly because the mirror is of no value for video work and that seems to be what they are emphasizing now - which would be great for us still photographers, especially if they gave it a really good EVF.

Chuck Alaimo

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Chuck Alaimo Photography
« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2013, 11:51:54 AM »

the thing of it is --- EVF tech is still inferior to OVF.  EVF is great for live view nighttime shooting.  But for regular purposes...no way is it ready for full time professional work.  Lots of kinks and bugs to work out
Owns 5Dmkiii, 6D, 16-35mm, 24mm 1.4, 70-200mm 2.8, 50mm 1.4, 85 mm 1.8, 100mm 2.8 macro, 1-600RT, 2 430 EX's, 1 video light

Don Haines

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2013, 12:57:42 PM »

the thing of it is --- EVF tech is still inferior to OVF.  EVF is great for live view nighttime shooting.  But for regular purposes...no way is it ready for full time professional work.  Lots of kinks and bugs to work out

Or you could go large format (8x10) and use the latest NoVF technology..... :)  (NoVF is NO viewfinder)

The optical viewfinder is a mature technology, it is about as good as it is going to get... It has advantages and it has disadvantages. EVF's are still immature. They are steadily getting better and have their own set of advantages and disadvantages. Right now, I'd pick OVF over EVF because the OVF is generally better... but I can see the day coming when the EVF comes out on top.

If we are discussing possible future bodies, as part of that discussion we should assume that this future body will have to decide between future EVF technology and an OVF, not current technology.... and this makes it a much harder decision.
The best camera is the one in your hands

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2013, 12:57:42 PM »

Alrik89

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2013, 01:46:04 PM »
If Canon goes MF, why do they waste money and capacities for inventing a high-Megapixel-FF-Sensor?

Sporgon

• 1D X
  • 5% of gear used 95% of the time
    • View Profile
    • www.buildingpanoramics.com
« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2013, 02:17:33 PM »
If Canon goes MF, why do they waste money and capacities for inventing a high-Megapixel-FF-Sensor?

Because they thought they'd out sell Canon. Marketing gamble. Didn't work.

I'm actually really surprised that Nikon went down that route in what is clearly a more 'consumer' rather than 'pro' camera. Think the Nikon marketing boys lost their bonus that year.

Don Haines

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2013, 06:24:57 PM »

In 5 or so years, they will ALL be "big megapixel" cameras...
The best camera is the one in your hands

duydaniel

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 04, 2013, 01:59:53 PM »
maybe not necessarily MF
but something like crop factor of 0.8 or something would be nice :D

Sporgon

• 1D X
  • 5% of gear used 95% of the time
    • View Profile
    • www.buildingpanoramics.com
« Reply #41 on: October 04, 2013, 02:03:58 PM »
maybe not necessarily MF

Why ?

duydaniel

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 04, 2013, 02:07:00 PM »
maybe not necessarily MF

Why ?

I think MF would discourage users due to its size.
FF size camera is perfect and I think you can squeeze in a larger sensor without compromising the size.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: October 04, 2013, 02:07:00 PM »