September 23, 2014, 02:27:46 PM

Author Topic: Help needed with a new canon 5d markiii  (Read 2224 times)

photography_lover

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
Help needed with a new canon 5d markiii
« on: September 28, 2013, 10:10:26 AM »
Hallo
Please could any user of 5d help me.
I have just bought one and it seems that it often stacks because it can not write or read from the cards.
The red light is lighted and the camera responds as busy or wait. The speed of the memory cards is 30.
Also when I tried to take several shots after 5 or 6 stopped and I had to wait a few minutes.
The question is, has the camera a problem or do I need faster cards.
Please help
Thank you

canon rumors FORUM

Help needed with a new canon 5d markiii
« on: September 28, 2013, 10:10:26 AM »

GuyF

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
Re: Help needed with a new canon 5d markiii
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2013, 10:36:53 AM »
Go and buy a couple of SanDisk Extreme Pro 32gb cards and be happy. 30mb/s cards were okay a few years back but long bursts of shooting files with the 5D3 will create lots of data to be transferred.

SwampYankee

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2013, 12:09:39 PM »
Hallo
I have just bought one and it seems that it often stacks because it can not write or read from the cards.
The red light is lighted and the camera responds as busy or wait. The speed of the memory cards is 30.
Also when I tried to take several shots after 5 or 6 stopped and I had to wait a few minutes.
Please help
Thank you

something is not right.  I use 30's and I have no such problems.  a few minutes is not normal.  First question, are you also using and SD card?  the SD card is much slower so that may be the issue.  A few seconds?  maybe, a few minutes?  back to the retailer
5DIII | 70-200 IS F4L | 24-105L |50 1.8 I |1002.8L | Tokina 16-28 2.8 |600EX

JPAZ

• 6D
  • If only I knew what I was doing.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2013, 03:02:41 AM »
Happened to me once after shooting a series of bursts (maybe 5 or 6 bursts of 6 shots each with the bursts in rapid succession).  Interesting thing was I could view the images off the card but could not take more shots.  Like you, the red light remained on.  Shutting down the camera did not help.  I took out the battery for about 30 seconds, reinserted, and all was fine.  I was using CF recording RAW and SD recording JPEG backups.  This has not happened since.  ?I think the buffer and the slower SD card were fighting each other?
5d Mkiii; Eos-M; too many lenses; 430 EXii and a whole lot of stuff

Busted Knuckles

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2013, 10:39:09 PM »
Wow, haven't had this problem with mine - try formating the cards?

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2013, 11:29:22 PM »
Hallo
Please help
Thank you

A lot depends on the memory cards, and the type.  SD cards rated at 30mb/sec often write at 5mb/sec.  With SD cards, the speed rating is for a new card that has never been written to, once they are written to, SD speeds fall drastically.  Be sure to use CF cards that don't have the issue, or be prepared to do a low level format on your SD cards before using them.  Do it once to see what happens, you won't want to do it a 2nd time.
Waiting a few minutes?? after 5 or 6 shots indicates a big issue, either you have a bad card or a counterfeit card, or a defective camera.

Buy a new CF card from a reputable supplier, Sandisk, Lexar, or even Transcend and it should not do that.

Old Shooter

• Canon 70D
  • Never met a gadget I didn't like!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2013, 01:25:26 AM »
I have never had this problem - but then again I am not a big "burst" shooter...

Agree with GuyF - I have SanDisk Extreme Pro 32GB CF's and a SanDisk Extreme Pro 64GB SD in my slots and have NEVER missed a shot due to buffer or card problems... Can't say that for my experience with Lexar Pro's...

Also agree with Mt Spokane - I low level format my SD whenever I move the images to my computer/externals...

Remember, the SD slot on the 5DIII is NOT UHS-1 enabled - it will only write at about 20 MB/s... Your CF slot is your race horse - it will write up to 4X faster with the right card...

I love the peace of mind writing to two cards - and I knowingly give up burst rate for it... If you want to maximize your burst rate, buy a FAST CF and leave your SD slot empty...

Hope this helps!  :)
5DIII, XSi, A2, 10s (x2), 20-35L, 24-70L II, 28-70L, 70-200L, 70-200L IS II, 85L II, 135L, 40 Pancake, 50 Macro, 100 Macro, 135 Soft-Focus, Crappy EF-S Kit Lens, 430EX II, Metz 45 CL-4, Metz 60 CT-4 (x2), White Lightnings, and lots of other junk...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2013, 01:25:26 AM »