July 30, 2014, 12:36:23 PM

Author Topic: Brand New EOS 70D has a lot of specks on sensor  (Read 4894 times)

phantom

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
Brand New EOS 70D has a lot of specks on sensor
« on: September 28, 2013, 06:14:25 PM »
I just got my EOS 70D from Amazon, then I tested few shots, i got frustrated because there were some dark spots on my images. So, i ran a thorough test on the  issue. The test result just made me more frustrated and disappointed. I know it's normal to get dust on your sensor, but this camera is brand new, I can't tolerate this and I am returning to Amazon.

The following pic is taken at ISO 100, 135mm, f/36, 6.0'', MF
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 11:34:01 PM by phantom »

canon rumors FORUM

Brand New EOS 70D has a lot of specks on sensor
« on: September 28, 2013, 06:14:25 PM »

Lichtgestalt

Re: Brand New EOS 70D has a lot of specs on sensor
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2013, 06:20:09 PM »
when i shoot at f/36 is see spots on a brand new camera too.
i don´t live in a clean room.

try shooting something more interesting and you will not notice. ;)
sooner or later you have to clean your camera anyway... get used to it.

I can't tolerate this and I am returning to Amazon.

yeah good luck with the next one...  ::)
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 06:22:32 PM by Lichtgestalt »

phantom

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2013, 06:35:17 PM »
when i shoot at f/36 is see spots on a brand new camera too.
i don´t live in a clean room.

try shooting something more interesting and you will not notice. ;)
sooner or later you have to clean your camera anyway... get used to it.

I can't tolerate this and I am returning to Amazon.

yeah good luck with the next one...  ::)

The reason why I tested at f/36 was I noticed some dark round area in my normal pictures. So I set to that extreme case to test it out. Those dark spot started showing up when i set to around f/22. I know shooting at f/36 is really rare situation, but f/22 might be used sometimes.

Again, it's a brand new one... why should i get it cleaned before use?

I am not sure this is a manufacture problem or Amazon's problem. The time i opened my box, there were some dust on camera body and lens body. Also, there was noticeable white dust grain on the mirror when i open the body cap for the first time.

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2013, 07:17:20 PM »
I just got my EOS 70D from Amazon, then I tested few shots, i got frustrated because there were some dark spots on my images. So, i ran a thorough test on the  issue. The test result just made me more frustrated and disappointed. I know it's normal to get dust on your sensor, but this camera is brand new, I can't tolerate this and I am returning to Amazon.

You need to take up a different hobby.  There are 2 million specs of dust per cubic meter in plain old clean air, the stuff you breath.  Don't tolerate it, return the earth and demand something better ;)

jwilbern

• Power Shot G16
  • EOS 60D, S90
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2013, 08:06:02 PM »
A spec is a specification. A speck is a foreign object on the sensor
EOS 60D, S90

pensive tomato

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2013, 08:06:34 PM »
As others have pointed out, dirt is a constant when dealing with interchangeable lenses. In my experience, new cameras are notorious for having dirt specks. Just consider all the handling and shipping that's involved in having your new toy come all the way from Japan!
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 08:08:17 PM by pensive tomato »
6D | M | 24-70 f/2.8L II | 70-200 f/4L IS | 40 f/2.8 | 50 f/1.4 | 85 f/1.8 | 100 f/2.8L Macro IS | 22 f/2 STM | 600EX-RT (x2) | MT-24 EX | 270 EX II | ST-E3-RT

mwh1964

• EOS M2
  • 5D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2013, 08:23:46 PM »
It has a sensor cleaner.
5D3 | 24-70L II | 24-105L | 70-200L II | 70-300L | 15 fisheye | 35 IS | 40 STM | 50 f1.4 | 100L | 135 L | extender 2X III | B&W Kaesemann | 2 x 600 EX-RT | ST-E3-RT | MR14-EX | Manfrotto | Billingham | Lowepro | Think Tank

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2013, 08:23:46 PM »

Ewinter

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2013, 10:15:35 PM »
Try getting this on a brand new 1DX and see how you feel. I just got the sensor cleaned

ajfotofilmagem

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2013, 10:16:47 PM »
Using aperture F36 the points you see might be dirt on the lens. Take a picture with another lens and if you still see the same dark spots, then dirt is even on the sensor.

Aglet

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2013, 11:06:15 PM »
that does have a fair bit of crud on it for a "new" camera
Either way, takes less time to clean it than to send it back and it's something you'll occasionally have to do anyway.
Get some good blowers, preferably a FILTERED one like the Zeeion by Visible Dust.

www.visibledust.com/products3.php?pid=444

The Giottos Rocket Blower that so many people like provides a strong stream of air and also is good at cleaning gear ...
BUT
I've had it leave more sticky waxy particles on my sensor that then require more serious cleaning methods to remove.  Likely some leftover mold-release material or something.

Lesson learned.
Use the Giottos on everything BUT the sensor unless i have no other choice.  It's great for cleaning around the lens mount and inside the mirror-box.  Keeping the mount and box clean will greatly reduce dust getting ON your sensor.

Use the Zeeion blower on the actual sensor.

other than that I prefer my own micron-filtered compressed air line and custom nozzle when I'm at home.

phantom

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2013, 11:35:27 PM »
It has a sensor cleaner.

I tried it, and automatically sensor cleaning is enabled, i also tried using a blower.

verysimplejason

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
Re: Brand New EOS 70D has a lot of specks on sensor
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2013, 06:54:16 AM »

Use your sensor cleaner before complaining.  At least do it with body cap on, manual setting.  It'll clean the sensor for dusts.  Meanwhile, oil is another thing.

Lichtgestalt

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2013, 07:07:16 AM »
Get some good blowers, preferably a FILTERED one like the Zeeion by Visible Dust.

did you try it?

it stinks and compared to my other blower it has a very weak airflow.
i send mine back after initial testing.

http://on.aol.com/video/zeeion-blower-fails-anti-static-testing-151472509

would like to have a filtered blower but i can not recommend the visibledust one.
especially not for the high price.

visibledust likes to talk tech mubo jumbo so people who like to have high-tech (aka photographers) will buy their stuff. it makes them feel better.  ;) 
but if it really works as expected is a different question.

and im always suprised that visibledust gets so much praise.
their products are build so cheap.

i love the idea of the arctic butterfly.. but now i have the third one (warranty).
the first two stopped working after some time. broken electromotor.
good idea but bad chinese manufacturing.
and the price is not even cheap. :(

« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 07:35:51 AM by Lichtgestalt »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2013, 07:07:16 AM »

rs

• 6D
    • View Profile
Re: Brand New EOS 70D has a lot of specks on sensor
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2013, 09:52:36 AM »
I read the title of this thread, and thought Canon was trying to go one up on Nikon's D600  ;D

I'm relieved to see its nothing more than minor specks of dust at f36 - something which could easily happen from fitting a lens once or twice, or pumping the zoom in/out a couple of times. Try shooting at f20 or below, and there should be no issue. However, if you are planning on using an MP-E 65, get yourself a sensor cleaning kit and plenty of practice using a spot removal tool in PP - no matter what your camera is.

I had a speck of dust appear on my iPhone 5 sensor, occupying a surprisingly large portion of the frame - and no options to change aperture size or clean the sensor with that lens ??? Luckily Apple replaced the whole phone because of it just before the 12 month warranty expired.
5D II | 24-70 II | 70-200 II | 100L | 40 | Sigma 50/1.4 | 40D | 10-22 | 17-55 | 580 EX II | 1.4x TC II

Aglet

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2013, 01:30:53 AM »

did you try it?

it stinks and compared to my other blower it has a very weak airflow.
i send mine back after initial testing.

http://on.aol.com/video/zeeion-blower-fails-anti-static-testing-151472509

would like to have a filtered blower but i can not recommend the visibledust one.
especially not for the high price.

visibledust likes to talk tech mubo jumbo so people who like to have high-tech (aka photographers) will buy their stuff. it makes them feel better.  ;) 
but if it really works as expected is a different question.

and im always suprised that visibledust gets so much praise.
their products are build so cheap.

i love the idea of the arctic butterfly.. but now i have the third one (warranty).
the first two stopped working after some time. broken electromotor.
good idea but bad chinese manufacturing.
and the price is not even cheap. :(

Yes, I've used the Zeeion blower successfully many times.
It certainly is not like a Rocket blower blast, the fine filter adds restriction after all, but it was enough to remove particles the built-in cleaning system couldn't dislodge, and most importantly, it doesn't add new ones.
Zeeion requires more careful use to put the nozzle closer to the sensor for some stubborn particles.

I use the Giottos Rocket for everything BUT the sensor these days.  It's great for pre-cleaning around the mount, back of the lens and the mirrorbox while the shutter's closed, or lens filters.  Do this every time and you'll rarely have to blast the actual sensor from dust.

Zeeion is useful as it is, but if you can find a better FILTERED blower bulb, please let us know.

as for that video of the static test - try the Giottos Rocket in comparison.
AA filters are already anti-stat coated and incredibly slick.

.. Now where are those new swabs I got to get the oil spots off my D800?…  ???

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2013, 01:30:53 AM »