October 23, 2014, 07:07:47 AM

Author Topic: Help with 5DIII raw files  (Read 4363 times)

JPAZ

• Canon 7D MK II
  • If only I knew what I was doing.....
    • View Profile
Re: Help with 5DIII raw files
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2013, 02:09:05 AM »
Last time I upgraded my computer (groan, I think I will be doing this again soon), I downloaded PS, "deactivated" the software on the old box, and activated the software on the new one.  I think I also call tech support to make sure all was OK.  Whether you change OS for Win to Mac or just get a new whatever you have now, the software will all need to be moved and re-registered.  And, it is best to have it running on both the old and new machines so you can go through all the settings and preferences one by one to insure the new box does just what the old did.

Which raises a totally non-camera / non-canon rhetorical question: Why is this always such a pain in the you-know?  If I sell you my car and get another, the registration changes are easy (usually just a couple of signatures) but with PS or any software of significance, it is very time-consuming at best.

Rant over.
5d Mkiii; Eos-M; too many lenses; 430 EXii and a whole lot of stuff

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2013, 02:09:05 AM »

privatebydesign

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2013, 02:18:44 AM »
Last time I upgraded my computer (groan, I think I will be doing this again soon), I downloaded PS, "deactivated" the software on the old box, and activated the software on the new one.  I think I also call tech support to make sure all was OK.  Whether you change OS for Win to Mac or just get a new whatever you have now, the software will all need to be moved and re-registered.  And, it is best to have it running on both the old and new machines so you can go through all the settings and preferences one by one to insure the new box does just what the old did.

Which raises a totally non-camera / non-canon rhetorical question: Why is this always such a pain in the you-know?  If I sell you my car and get another, the registration changes are easy (usually just a couple of signatures) but with PS or any software of significance, it is very time-consuming at best.

Rant over.

I clone drives, this negates de/reactivation. When I upgrade computer or drive I just clone, no deactivating or re-registering, no lost paperwork, passwords or serial numbers. Works a charm.

P.S. Don't tell anybody but you can subsequently run on more than two computers too, but they must be the same make.
The best time to plant a tree is twenty-five years ago. The second best time is today.

bratkinson

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2013, 02:47:15 AM »
Why do raw files change with every new camera model?  Because there are more fields to be recorded, larger data fields (think Y2K yymmdd to yyyymmdd dates) and simply more data to be recorded.  Why did DOS and Windows have to be continually upgraded?  To support larger RAM sizes, large drive sizes, etc. 

Why does Adobe LR3 not support the 5D3?  Bring in the money!  Why does Adobe LR3 not run in Windows 7?  Bring in the money!  Why does Microsoft Word 2010 not support Microsoft Works document format?  Bring in the money!  Why can't a 427 Dodge hemi not 'bolt into' a '57 Chevy?  Bring in the money!

It would be nice to decide our computers will last forever, and every new whiz-bang feature and software product will run on our rapidly becoming outdated computer.  But unlike the 'dreamers' out there, software, hardware, and even camera companies are OUT TO MAKE MONEY!  That's their job!  That's their business!  Same reason you can't bolt newer model year car parts to your 15 year old car!  They have to make money, too! 

Jim O

• EOS M2
  • Driving the short bus
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2013, 09:56:43 AM »
Why do raw files change with every new camera model?  Because there are more fields to be recorded, larger data fields (think Y2K yymmdd to yyyymmdd dates) and simply more data to be recorded.  Why did DOS and Windows have to be continually upgraded?  To support larger RAM sizes, large drive sizes, etc. 

Why does Adobe LR3 not support the 5D3?  Bring in the money!  Why does Adobe LR3 not run in Windows 7?  Bring in the money!  Why does Microsoft Word 2010 not support Microsoft Works document format?  Bring in the money!  Why can't a 427 Dodge hemi not 'bolt into' a '57 Chevy?  Bring in the money!

It would be nice to decide our computers will last forever, and every new whiz-bang feature and software product will run on our rapidly becoming outdated computer.  But unlike the 'dreamers' out there, software, hardware, and even camera companies are OUT TO MAKE MONEY!  That's their job!  That's their business!  Same reason you can't bolt newer model year car parts to your 15 year old car!  They have to make money, too!

Did you consider that it COSTS MONEY to make everything backward compatible forever? After a certain point the returns diminish such that it's simply not worth the investment. Buying a piece of software to use NOW does not guarantee it will be supported FOREVER. Nor should it. Not that you're wrong about them wanting to maximize profits. That's their raison d'ĂȘtre and the reason you use their products. Without the profit motive why would they bother to produce software anyone would buy? Complaining that a version of a $100 piece of software that came out in 2009 and which has seen two major version upgrades since is no longer receiving updates is... well, it's silly. You complain that it doesn't support the 5D3. So let me get this straight. You're willing to spend $3500 on a camera in 2012-2013 but think your $100 outdated software from 2009 shouldn't need to be upgraded? Really?

I am webmaster for a series of sites. Looking at Google Analytics I still see occasional users who come to the site using Internet Explorer version 6. I no longer support IE6. Why? Wouldn't I like those folks to see my ads and make me some money? Yes, of course I would. However, the cost of designing and of maintaining a site that renders properly on the abomination that was IE6 is simply no longer worth it. And yes, I mean "worth it" in dollars and cents. People who want to use my sites and the free services that they offer can upgrade to a modern browser or they can go elsewhere.
When people see you arguing with an idiot on the internet, all they see is two idiots arguing.

JPAZ

• Canon 7D MK II
  • If only I knew what I was doing.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2013, 11:57:45 AM »
.......... I clone drives, this negates de/reactivation. When I upgrade computer or drive I just clone, no deactivating or re-registering, no lost paperwork, passwords or serial numbers. Works a charm.

Sorry if I was not clear.  By upgrade, I meant new motherboard or new computer, not new drive.  Lot's of ways to clone old drive to new and the software "does not notice" that change.
5d Mkiii; Eos-M; too many lenses; 430 EXii and a whole lot of stuff

jm

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
    • John McKay Photography
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2013, 06:35:32 PM »
make sure you have the latest ACRaw version and plugin for LR

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2013, 06:35:32 PM »