July 22, 2014, 07:59:21 AM

Author Topic: Help with 5DIII raw files  (Read 3916 times)

7enderbender

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
Help with 5DIII raw files
« on: September 29, 2013, 12:49:50 PM »
Hello Everyone,

I think I have an issue here. I have a 5DII and tested a 5DIII from CPS for a job last night. I also still use LR3 and have no intention to upgrade. Reason being that I'm happy with the raw engine as it is and would not want anything happen to the files that are already there.

I also have no reason to upgrade to the 5DIII at this point. In fact, after testing it last night I'm more leaning towards picking up a second 5DII body at some point.

In any case, what can I do now with the raw files from the 5DIII to get them into LR3? I understand that I probably need to convert them in another program. Any recommendations? I have DPP from my 5DII. Not sure if I'd need a different version or if I have access to it. Anything else I could use?

My fault as I should have thought about this before.

update:

Noticed that I can open the files in CS5. Any chance I can use Bridge/CS5 to batch convert the 5DIII raw files to DNG? Or should I get the latest (free) adobe DNG converter?  http://www.adobe.com/digitalimag/pdfs/phscs2ip_digitalwf.pdf

« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 01:24:17 PM by 7enderbender »
5DII - 50L - 135L - 200 2.8L - 24-105 - 580EXII - 430EXII - FD 500/8 - AE1-p - bag full of FD lenses

canon rumors FORUM

Help with 5DIII raw files
« on: September 29, 2013, 12:49:50 PM »

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
Re: Help with 5DIII raw files
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2013, 04:18:52 PM »
Or should I get the latest (free) adobe DNG converter?

You can't cheat Adobe ... c'mon, they need to pay their rent (or buy luxury villas), too, so they have to keep selling software, you know :-p ...

... but here's the solution. This won't work: you can convert the cr2 into dng, but they'll be a newer dng version than your lr3 supports. This will work: convert the 5d3 raw files into tiff - you can just get a Lightroom 5 trial, it runs for 30 days to do it, it installs along your lr3.

wayno

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2013, 04:27:42 PM »
I know this goes against what you're saying but seriously I can see no downsides to just upgrading to LR5. The processing engine is a lot better than version 3. Just my opinion.

Marsu42

• View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2013, 04:29:48 PM »
The processing engine is a lot better than version 3.

Not if you want to continue using the "old" 2010 process (it does have some advantages over pv2012) - pv2010 the same thing in lr5. And unlike lr4, lr3's speed is ok, so I concur that upgrading is not essential as long as you don't need the new camera support and enhanced tools.

privatebydesign

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2013, 07:05:49 PM »
You can use any process version you want in newer software. Upgrading from a LR3 catalog to a LR5 catalog will not change the process version of the images you already have. You can choose to, and if you do you will get probably a stop more usable shadow detail (if that isn't worth less than $100 I don't know what is!), but you don't have to.

In the Develop module just go to Camera Calibration-Process: and click the little arrows next to 2003/2010/2012 and just like all Lightroom edits, it is non destructive, you can change to any version any time you want to.
The best time to plant a tree is twenty-five years ago. The second best time is today.

7enderbender

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2013, 12:31:10 PM »
Or should I get the latest (free) adobe DNG converter?

You can't cheat Adobe ... c'mon, they need to pay their rent (or buy luxury villas), too, so they have to keep selling software, you know :-p ...

... but here's the solution. This won't work: you can convert the cr2 into dng, but they'll be a newer dng version than your lr3 supports. This will work: convert the 5d3 raw files into tiff - you can just get a Lightroom 5 trial, it runs for 30 days to do it, it installs along your lr3.

Actually, it worked flawlessly. The Adobe DNG converter lets you choose which version DNG file you want. So I selected the latest that is compatible with LR3. Was able to import as usual and the develop module in LR3 handled the DNG files just like I'm used to on my 5DII's raw files.

Lessons learned:

1. I'll stick to my primes and don't want the 70-200

2. No need to upgrade to the 5DIII. The results look indistinguishable and - call me crazy- I much prefered the handling of the AF on my 5DII over the rented Mark 3. The 3 is faster but setting the AF points drove me nuts. And all 61 points are centered around the middle so I see no advantage.

3. I more and more dislike Adobe. I really need to find a replacement. Their upgrade politics are ridiculous. Add to that the latest credit card and password snafu (which can happen to anyone, but it's a question how you handle it...) and I feel done. Not spending one more penny on them.
5DII - 50L - 135L - 200 2.8L - 24-105 - 580EXII - 430EXII - FD 500/8 - AE1-p - bag full of FD lenses

Marsu42

• View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2013, 04:57:08 PM »
Actually, it worked flawlessly. The Adobe DNG converter lets you choose which version DNG file you want. So I selected the latest that is compatible with LR3.

Thanks for the information, I'm happy to stand corrected and have learned something new. Is this backporting method possible in all cases, or do newer cameras insist on using a newer dng version?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2013, 04:57:08 PM »

privatebydesign

• Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2013, 06:51:44 PM »

3. I more and more dislike Adobe. I really need to find a replacement. Their upgrade politics are ridiculous. Add to that the latest credit card and password snafu (which can happen to anyone, but it's a question how you handle it...) and I feel done. Not spending one more penny on them.

This always makes me laugh. Name me one other software company in existence that makes and distributes a free program that they fully support, again at no cost, that gives you the functionality to buy a $3,000 camera and not need to update a $100 piece of software?

As for you not spending another penny on them, well the last thing you did was buy LR3 that came out in 2009, I doubt if they will miss your $100 every four years.
The best time to plant a tree is twenty-five years ago. The second best time is today.

7enderbender

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2013, 11:00:28 AM »

This always makes me laugh. Name me one other software company in existence that makes and distributes a free program that they fully support, again at no cost, that gives you the functionality to buy a $3,000 camera and not need to update a $100 piece of software?

As for you not spending another penny on them, well the last thing you did was buy LR3 that came out in 2009, I doubt if they will miss your $100 every four years.

I have a full version of CS5 as well. And if enough unimportant people like me jump ship they may miss something I suspect. My biggest beef is not even the necessity to buy a new version every now and so often but the move to the subscription model. I don't want it and I'll never have that. If I can't buy it and outright own that one specific version I'm not going to do it.

And no, there is not much of an alternative yet. Most certainly not for people who want/have to use Macs and Windows machines.

privatebydesign

• Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2013, 11:31:23 AM »

I have a full version of CS5 as well. And if enough unimportant people like me jump ship they may miss something I suspect. My biggest beef is not even the necessity to buy a new version every now and so often but the move to the subscription model. I don't want it and I'll never have that. If I can't buy it and outright own that one specific version I'm not going to do it.

And no, there is not much of an alternative yet. Most certainly not for people who want/have to use Macs and Windows machines.

And with the free software that Adobe fully support and you have now used, Adobe have enabled you to not need to update their software, or give them another penny/cent, until your computer won't run an OS that can run PS5 and LR3, and that date has nothing to do with Adobe.

As I said, name me one other software company that does that.

I can well understand people not being convinced with the subscription model, I am not interested in enrolling yet myself, and their security breach is regrettable (my account was one of the ones compromised and I have had emails from Adobe changing my password). But I don't understand the vehement backlash Adobe have gotten when they really have gone above and beyond in their efforts to NOT inconvenience people and not force them to upgrade.

As for enough unimportant people like you, and me, well if you look at their projections for the move to a subscription model, you will see they fully expected a drop in revenue for the first three years of its implementation. So far the stock price has reflected investor satisfaction at those projections and enrollment rate.

The people we should be complaining about, and the ones who never get criticism for any off this, is the camera manufacturers. Why do they insist on changing the RAW file format of every single camera that comes to market? Considering there is precious little IQ improvement in sensor tech and those improvements are easily enclosed in a broad and accessible format, why don't the manufacturers adopt TIFF, or the open and entirely free DNG to create a standard for RAW files? So much development time is wasted reverse engineering the stupid changes to the RAW files for each new camera, that the manufacturers are not interested in developing software for anyway, it is a farce.

Jim O

• EOS M2
  • Driving the short bus
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2013, 02:00:46 PM »
The people we should be complaining about, and the ones who never get criticism for any off this, is the camera manufacturers. Why do they insist on changing the RAW file format of every single camera that comes to market? Considering there is precious little IQ improvement in sensor tech and those improvements are easily enclosed in a broad and accessible format, why don't the manufacturers adopt TIFF, or the open and entirely free DNG to create a standard for RAW files? So much development time is wasted reverse engineering the stupid changes to the RAW files for each new camera, that the manufacturers are not interested in developing software for anyway, it is a farce.

DING! DING! DING! We have a winner!

Or at least make their formats open so they can be easily manipulated without reverse engineering?
When people see you arguing with an idiot on the internet, all they see is two idiots arguing.

Jim O

• EOS M2
  • Driving the short bus
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2013, 02:15:03 PM »

Is there an alternative for those of us who do (when possible) use FOSS OS's that are not available on Mac and/or Windows?

Add to that the latest credit card and password snafu (which can happen to anyone, but it's a question how you handle it...)

What was wrong with how they handled it? They reset passwords on the affected accounts (mine was also included) and promptly send out an email informing us. They also notified financial institutions. If they make an unauthorized charge on my credit card, I'm not liable.

In fact, have any unauthorized uses even been reported?
When people see you arguing with an idiot on the internet, all they see is two idiots arguing.

7enderbender

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2013, 03:47:30 PM »
[...]

Excellent point. Why they're not sticking to file format is beyond me also. I'm sure somebody will cite a technical reason but that brings me back to my original point. There is not enough difference to justify any upgrades at this point unless anything breaks. That's true for my software and my camera gear. I'm perfectly happy as is.

And I get your point now about the free software tool. I agree, we need to chalk that off as a plus.

The reason I'm even concerned is that I want to update my computers at home soon, going from Win XP to (most likely) Mac. I'm not even complaining (well maybe a little) that my existing CS5 can't be transferred to a Mac any longer (unlike my LR3, which is good)  but that there is no more boxed version now to achieve the same that I have right now. Look, I'm here willing to spend money but they want to sell me something else instead that I don't want. I'd rather be able to buy a boxed CS5 or CS6 for Mac than even getting the online version for free. I don't need anything else that is constantly changing and updating to heavens knows what. I already have that happening with my stupid iPhone that I have a strong impulse to throw out of the window after the iOS7 update.

Yes, I know, I'm weird. I'm not great about changing workflows and screen designs constantly. Once things work I like to keep them around for a while.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2013, 03:47:30 PM »

Marsu42

• View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2013, 03:59:06 PM »
Why do they insist on changing the RAW file format of every single camera that comes to market? Considering there is precious little IQ improvement in sensor tech and those improvements are easily enclosed in a broad and accessible format, why don't the manufacturers adopt TIFF, or the open and entirely free DNG to create a standard for RAW files?

I was also wondering about that, and this is what I think the reasons are:

* DNG is free (as in free to use), but is steered by Adobe. Too much of the IT industry had very bad experiences with Microsoft's "embrace, extend and extinguish" strategy to fall for that one again.

* DNG has a bad reputation among pro photogs who as businessmen tend to "never touch a running system". Adobe is also to blame since they are very bad at communicating why they to what they do with dng and what they're going to do next.

It's a pitty though, lossy DNG is terrific vs. fine jpeg and I'd really like to see it straight out of camera. TIFF is no alternative by the way since it has been extended to death, that's also why ILM did OpenEXR.

So much development time is wasted reverse engineering

Ask the Magic Lantern devs about that, they spend their days reverse engineering camera props and memory locations when Canon could just discreetly email them a spec file - it's not like there would be any ip in these updates that the competition could use.

privatebydesign

• Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2013, 04:01:24 PM »
You can buy CS6, or its components, from Adobe. They don't come in a box, but it is not the subscription method, it is a perpetual license, and you can burn the download file to DVD so you have a copy for ever.

http://www.adobe.com/products/catalog/cs6._sl_id-contentfilter_sl_catalog_sl_software_sl_creativesuite6.html

You can still get boxed versions from Amazon, but only their resellers, their link is for download, but again, it is a perpetual license.

http://www.amazon.com/Adobe-65158237-Photoshop-CS6/dp/B007R0RKV8

You can still get a myriad of boxed CS6 combinations from B&H.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?ipp=100&atclk=Brand_Adobe&sts=ma&N=0&Ntt=CS6

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2013, 04:01:24 PM »