August 01, 2014, 11:33:32 PM

Author Topic: Canon USA Mail-in Rebates  (Read 5163 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
Canon USA Mail-in Rebates
« on: September 29, 2013, 02:35:48 PM »

Canon USA Rebates

Canon USA has started a new mail-in rebate program, below are the most popular lenses included in the rebate. Check our price watch pages to see all the qualifying lenses. It looks like these rebates will last until January 4, 2014.

Canon EOS 6D w/24-105 f/4L IS Deal

BestStopDeals on eBay is selling the Canon EOS 6D w/24-105 f/4L IS kit for $2189 (compare at $2599)

Canon EOS 6D w/24-105 f/4L IS $2189

cr

canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

Canon USA Mail-in Rebates
« on: September 29, 2013, 02:35:48 PM »

Rick

• PowerShot G1 X II
  • Dual Platform
    • View Profile
Dear Canon, I won't fool eith mail-in rebates
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2013, 02:52:58 PM »
Luckily, I've bought and sold most of the Canon lenses I have any interest in.
5D2, 5D3, D3x, D800E, TSE17, 100L, 14-24G, 24-70G, 24-70 II, 70-200/4 IS, CZ 18 ZF, CZ 2.8/25 ZF, CZ 2/28 ZF, CZ 2/35 ZF, CZ 2/50 ZF

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: Canon USA Mail-in Rebates
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2013, 03:17:01 PM »
It isn't really a rebate, you get a American Express Gift card that has a monthly charge for unused balance (After a initial period).  I consider a rebate to mean that I actually get a check in the mail.

However, Its still better than store credit because many places I shop will accept AMEX.

Deals Wiz

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2013, 03:33:52 PM »
There is a price mistake at Best Buy right now according to Canon Price Watch:

http://www.canonpricewatch.com/blog/2013/09/massive-l-lenses-price-drops-24-70-ii-for-1999-and-more/

Best Buy applied the rebate as if it were an instant rebate. You can try to double dip by buying at that price and also filling out the mail-in rebate form. Worst case scenario is you get what is effectively an instant rebate.

My order is in, they have not cancelled it yet.

silvestography

• Rebel T5i
  • Armed with a camera and some ideas.
    • View Profile
    • Silvestography
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2013, 03:59:57 PM »
There is a price mistake at Best Buy right now according to Canon Price Watch:

http://www.canonpricewatch.com/blog/2013/09/massive-l-lenses-price-drops-24-70-ii-for-1999-and-more/

Best Buy applied the rebate as if it were an instant rebate. You can try to double dip by buying at that price and also filling out the mail-in rebate form. Worst case scenario is you get what is effectively an instant rebate.

My order is in, they have not cancelled it yet.

I've done the same - here's hoping!
http://silvestography.tumblr.com
6D | 600D | Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 | Tamron 24-70mm f/2.8 VC | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 | Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS II | 600ex-rt

dilbert

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2013, 01:05:00 AM »
What a f'ing crock of sh't this is.

If you look at the lens price for some of these lenses, there was a jump in price around the start of September and now at the start of October, rebates are announced that take the price back to the level of the start of September.

Who's playing games here?
The stores or Canon or both of them?

F' them all.

candyman

• 1D X
  • The best critic sits in front of the camera
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2013, 02:19:27 AM »
What a f'ing crock of sh't this is.

If you look at the lens price for some of these lenses, there was a jump in price around the start of September and now at the start of October, rebates are announced that take the price back to the level of the start of September.

Who's playing games here?
The stores or Canon or both of them?

F' them all.

That's going on for years. Also in Europe. After Christmas (around end of January) they slowly start to raise prices. So at the next Christmas they make it look like they offer you the once in a lifetime discount ... ::)
They just forget that many people these days keep following price development. And don't have a short memory 8)
5DIII w/grip  |  6D  |  16-35L IS  |  24-70VC  |  24-105L  |  70-200 f/2.8L IS II  |  70-300L  |  35 f/2 IS  |  50A  |  135L

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2013, 02:19:27 AM »

imsofinite

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2013, 03:14:32 AM »
Coming from a Canon dealer's standpoint, this is great. For you guys those instant rebates are good, but Canon doesn't actually do the rebates. They sell the rebates to another company, who reimburse us at 80% of the rebate (and when you generally make about 6% or less on an items, only getting 80% of a rebate back is almost like selling it at a loss). Also give you a ton of paper work for each item and love to reject your forms, which results in us losing money almost every single time Canon does an instant rebate program.

In terms of them raising the price and then giving the rebates, part of the reason companies do rebates is to control prices. Canon has set prices that generally speaking you're not allowed to sell under, but somehow, whether they're just getting stuff cheaper, or they're selling at a loss for some reason, most of the big stores like B&H sell at or just barely above cost, which makes it nearly impossible to survive as a smaller, local retailer. That's actually the biggest reason so many camera stores are going out of business left and right: internet dealers selling everything at cost.

So anyway, I'm really happy that they're going back to a mail in rebate program.

Barrfly

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2013, 04:39:57 AM »
 On 3/25/2013 I paid $2129 for aCanon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II . With in a month the price dropped to $2100.
B&H gave me a credit for the difference.

Today they have that same lens listed for $2499.   

MadHungarian

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2013, 06:12:56 PM »
I have no interest whatsoever in a mail-in rebate, myself.  It's a nightmare to actually, eventually, maybe, get the rebate.  Useless things.  Hopefully most everyone will ignore it and just wait for the real rebates to show up, which they eventually will.  After all, in the end it's the customers who provide the money (or don't) and so run the show.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2013, 06:32:54 PM »
In addition to the mail in rebates above, one day later Canon announced instant rebates (far better, IMO) on an additional set of lenses and flashes.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/News/News-Post.aspx?News=7910
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

bleephotography

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2013, 07:45:35 PM »
In addition to the mail in rebates above, one day later Canon announced instant rebates (far better, IMO) on an additional set of lenses and flashes.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/News/News-Post.aspx?News=7910

Thanks for the heads up, Neuro. Having just purchased the 40 STM less than a week ago, I contacted Amazon and they refunded me the $50 difference ;D
70D  |  40 STM  |  18-135 STM  |  55-250 STM  |  320EX  |  PCB Einstein

RGF

• 1D X
  • How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2013, 08:21:06 PM »
It isn't really a rebate, you get a American Express Gift card that has a monthly charge for unused balance (After a initial period).  I consider a rebate to mean that I actually get a check in the mail.

However, Its still better than store credit because many places I shop will accept AMEX.

I use the gift cards to buy credit at Star Bucks, amazon gift cards which I use for myself and B&H gift cards  That way, the $ are in a stable and are not used up by monthly service charge.  Besides the balance on the gift cards which I keep for myself, are automatically applied when I buy an item.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2013, 08:21:06 PM »

Twostones

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2013, 08:13:11 AM »
The last time I played the Cash card rebate game I was sent 2 cards.  The card company made a service charge on each card leaving little left for me who was to originally get the rebate.  Fool me once shame on you.  I learned my lesson they won't get me to bite a second time.  These card rebates are a scam and should be prohibited.  I won't do business with a company that uses these tactics.

jcollett

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2013, 01:51:10 PM »
When I first saw this was mail-in rebates, my reaction was negative.  However, with the Best Buy situation presently, I'd drop some serious cash on something like the 24-70 or 70-300 if my job wasn't up in the air ATM.  Good luck to those who can double dip the rebates; it makes the Canon lenses actually somewhat price competitive.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2013, 01:51:10 PM »