October 23, 2014, 10:52:23 AM

Author Topic: 6D: LCD protector w/o air bubbles?  (Read 3889 times)

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
6D: LCD protector w/o air bubbles?
« on: September 29, 2013, 04:12:53 PM »
Canon didn't grace the 6d with the swivel screen of the 60d (turn to protect) or a glass lcd like the 5d3, so I'd like to invest the money Canon saved in a 3rd party glass protector...

... Problem is: As a result of the natural and smooth, round 6D finish (edit: Amazon reviews state that) the screen is not planar but slightly bent, esp. on the top right. I currently have a thin plastic lcd cover, and it does show air bubbles in this region.

Did anybody manage to find a glass or comparably sturdy 6D lcd protection that applies *without* air bubbles beneath?

Esp. anything *glued* to the screen seems to have this problem (see attached image with black glue border), what *might* work is a much more expensive glass cover that only electrostatically attaches (image with "hama" brand). Any experiences?

« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 05:48:03 AM by Marsu42 »

canon rumors FORUM

6D: LCD protector w/o air bubbles?
« on: September 29, 2013, 04:12:53 PM »

Janbo Makimbo

• EOS M2
  • 6D
    • View Profile
Re: 6D: LCD protector w/o air bubbles?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2013, 04:55:48 PM »
I have the top glass one... No bubbles!

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2013, 05:05:51 PM »
I've never heard of gluing a protective screen to a camera, they all use static electricity.  Some of them use the tern Self Adhesive, but they do not use adhesives.

I bought a cheap glass protector for my 5D MK III and only have issues seeing images on my LCD screen in bright outdoor light.  There are no bubbles. 

http://www.amazon.com/NEEWER-Self-Adhesive-Optical-Screen-Protector/dp/B00BVXHHLA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1380488212&sr=8-2&keywords=lcd+protector+ggs+6D

Marsu42

• View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2013, 05:27:49 PM »
I've never heard of gluing a protective screen to a camera, they all use static electricity.

Really, what's the black border for then? The description of the $4 from China :-p states the black border is some kind of glue, though you can remove it w/o traces and re-attach it a few times.

I bought a cheap glass protector for my 5D MK III and only have issues seeing images on my LCD screen in bright outdoor light.  There are no bubbles.

As expected - the 5d3 or 60d screen is flat while the 6d screen unfortunately isn't, it's really exclusively a 6d issue, it's not just me but also a lot of Amazon screen protector reviews say so.

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2013, 06:02:26 PM »
I've never heard of gluing a protective screen to a camera, they all use static electricity.

Really, what's the black border for then? The description of the $4 from China :-p states the black border is some kind of glue, though you can remove it w/o traces and re-attach it a few times.

As expected - the 5d3 or 60d screen is flat while the 6d screen unfortunately isn't, it's really exclusively a 6d issue, it's not just me but also a lot of Amazon screen protector reviews say so.

It might be the translation.  Self Adhesive means it sticks, not that it uses glue.  The black border is glued to the glass, and the layers of glass use double sided adhesive tape to hold the sandwich together.

They say adhesive free partially to imply that the competition uses adhesive, but no one actually uses adhesive to hold one on, at least, I've never see it.

• Automatic installation activated by touch
  • Impact resistant and shatter proof
  • Adhesive free. Anti glare. Smudge resistant.
  • Touch and Swivel screen compatible
  • No glue residue after removal. Frame design
[/t][/t]

Lichtgestalt

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2013, 06:16:01 PM »
im using larmor/GGS on all my canon cameras... no bubbles. just perfect when done right.
and yes i have a 6D too.

http://www.larmor-usa.com/what-is-larmor/
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 06:21:06 PM by Lichtgestalt »

brad-man

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2013, 07:23:34 PM »
The GGS protector is on both LCDs on my 6D with no bubbles. <$9.00 shipped:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B30N7AQ/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2013, 07:23:34 PM »

Marsu42

• View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2013, 02:30:28 AM »
The GGS protector is on both LCDs on my 6D with no bubbles. <$9.00 shipped:

Thanks, if you manage to apply it correctly, I'll try too ... though also on the link you provided a customer review says something about bubbles on the 6d?

One drawback though is that a small bubble runs across the center of the small protector. This shouldn't affect me since I use the viewfinder and the large back display when checking camera settings.

http://www.amazon.com/GGS-Glass-Screen-Protector-6D/product-reviews/B00B30N7AQ/ref=cm_cr_dp_qt_hist_four?ie=UTF8&filterBy=addFourStar&showViewpoints=0

pensive tomato

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2013, 09:17:59 AM »
I have used the GGS protectors in my Rebel, 7D, and 6D. In all cases I was able to carefully apply the back screen protector without leaving any bubbles. When I sold my Rebel and 7D, I was able to remove those protectors just fine, no glue residue, and a spotless, like-new screen.

The top screen protector wasn't the same experience. That one has an adhesive on the black frame and it's slightly flexible, this left a small air bubble no matter what on my 7D and 6D, as air would always be trapped due to the protector's design. The bubble didn't bother me as I managed to make it as small as I could. Removal of that protector left a glue residue that I was able to easily remove before selling my 7D.

Now it was never my experience that there was anything on the 6D design that makes things difficult on this front, it was rather about the limitations of the protectors. IMHO, do what you think it's best, stop trying to find faults on the 6D, and enjoy it gorgeous IQ. It still brings smiles and a warm feeling to my heart.  :)
6D | M | 24-70 f/2.8L II | 70-200 f/4L IS | 40 f/2.8 | 50 f/1.4 | 85 f/1.8 | 100 f/2.8L Macro IS | 22 f/2 STM | 600EX-RT (x2) | MT-24 EX | 270 EX II | ST-E3-RT

Marsu42

• View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2013, 01:58:55 PM »
IMHO, do what you think it's best, stop trying to find faults on the 6D, and enjoy it gorgeous IQ. It still brings smiles and a warm feeling to my heart.  :)

I am very joyful that you're happy with your 6d, and actually so am I... however, I'll continue to point out things that make the experience a wee bit less happy than it could be because I try to help others to make their decision as they helped me.

Concerning "faults on the 6d": I was citing customer reviews from Amazon (.de and .com), where multiple people state that they've got this problem, and my plastic cover shows the same behavior, that's why I asked around here. If you want to stop reading about 6d faults, just stop reading forums and enjoy your 6d experience :-)

pensive tomato

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2013, 06:11:50 PM »
Concerning "faults on the 6d": I was citing customer reviews from Amazon (.de and .com), where multiple people state that they've got this problem, and my plastic cover shows the same behavior, that's why I asked around here. If you want to stop reading about 6d faults, just stop reading forums and enjoy your 6d experience :-)

I hope some of the experiences reported here helps you find a solution to your problem. I didn't mean to come across as having a confrontational tone, but I honestly see no fault on the design of the 6D screens. Perhaps I misunderstood your concern. I think we can both agree that this forum benefits from having a diversity of opinions.

Keep having fun with the 6D!
6D | M | 24-70 f/2.8L II | 70-200 f/4L IS | 40 f/2.8 | 50 f/1.4 | 85 f/1.8 | 100 f/2.8L Macro IS | 22 f/2 STM | 600EX-RT (x2) | MT-24 EX | 270 EX II | ST-E3-RT

CarlTN

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2013, 06:24:16 PM »
I'm more interested in a "non-glass", matte finish plastic film protector.  I still have yet to choose one.  The one I used on my 50D worked fantastically for 4 years, but that brand is no longer around it seems.

Marsu42

• View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2013, 04:33:45 AM »
I think we can both agree that this forum benefits from having a diversity of opinions.

Absolutely, since esp. with the 6d you can be either very happy or be - depending on how you're using it - more affected with it's shortcomings that cannot be discussed away. So esp. here a diversity of opinions helps, and either 6d fanboys or 6d critics should be free to voice theirs.

I'm more interested in a "non-glass", matte finish plastic film protector.  I still have yet to choose one.

I've bought one of these (from Germany Amazon, so the link wouldn't help you). The reason why I want to replace it for glass is...
  • the matte plastic is not as thick as the 3M crystal plastic I have on my 60d, and I want something that can take a serious scratch or bump w/o damaging the plastic lcd
  • the protector is matte for an optical reason - it diffuses the lcd screen a bit. In bright daylight the lcd gets dimmer, and most important the *sharpness* drops a bit so it's more difficult to see what's 100% in focus w/o focus peaking (Magic Lantern).

For these reason I'd recommend a clear glass over matte plastic, but go ahead, try it (mine were 7€ for 2 pieces). Then write how it worked for you, obviously a lot of people are using protectors and this thread might help.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2013, 04:33:45 AM »

Lichtgestalt

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2013, 04:41:54 AM »
Concerning "faults on the 6d": I was citing customer reviews from Amazon (.de and .com), where multiple people state that they've got this problem

well given the usual customers who write reviews at amazon im not suprised.

the majority has problems to find their own nose.
not to mention install a display protection. :)

the shoulder display protection is a bit more complicated to install then the great LCD protection.
but when done slow and carefully it should be no problem.

Viggo

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2013, 05:26:53 AM »
I have used the GGS as long as I can remember and I have smashed at least 8-10 of them when bumping into stuff and not once has there been any marks on the actual screen, and it's sooo much easier to apply then the protective film stuff, and I haven't seen one stripe or scratch on any of them, they simply look perfect or cracks when bumped to hard.
1dx, 24-70 L II, 50 Art, 200 f2.0 L

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2013, 05:26:53 AM »