September 24, 2014, 12:54:47 AM

Author Topic: Is Facebook worth it?  (Read 8772 times)

Alrik89

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Re: Is Facebook worth it?
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2013, 09:01:28 AM »
How many people do you know, that get their jobs via Facebook?
How can you be found on Facebook, due to the fact, that there are tons of other photographers doing basically the same stuff.
If you want to leave your digital business card, then build up an own webside. It makes much more sense and is much more individual than a facebook page. Meeting with a potential customer: "Hey, check out my website" is way better than "Hey, check out my facebook page".

And by the way: you lose all rights over the stuff you post on facebook.
That includes images...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2013, 09:01:28 AM »

scottkinfw

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • kasden.smug.com
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2013, 09:58:19 AM »
I don't quite know what to make of your comment ,"It appears that you guys are "of an age"?".  I can't really tell of what your age is either by your pic.  Not sure if I should be offended, as my years pile up.  In any event, I have come to appreciate the wisdom that does tend to (but is not assuredly guaranteed to come) with age.  Wisdom such as not to be arrogant, impetuous, and to not have hubris, but that is a topic for people not as wise as us, to be sure.

My feeling on fb is that there is a lot of "I'm having eggs for breakfast" type of garbage, no doubt.  However, it does present with marketing opportunities if done properly, and aggressively.  I have a fb page for business, and I don't follow my own wisdom.  I treat it more like a hobby.  Why?  I don't care for it much, but then, if I don't pay some attention to it, or I don't have it, others will, and I need to stay relevant in the digital world of marketing.

It appears that you guys are "of an age"?

Perhaps, at least Old enough to know better than to misquote someone else when attempting to formulate an Argument.

Maybe concentrate on some Original viewpoint in your next Post on the Subject, if your stuck for a viewpoint, try misquoting one of those 665,000,000 users on FB that you feel are worth getting in touch with, I'm sure one of them will be Happy to help you out.

And No, your Wrong, FB have a section for Business where the Account is formed in the Business Name, see what happens when we use selective quoting ?? No ?? Not surprised.

*you're

I can't quite fathom your argument. My viewpoint is very much of the 'keep up with technology & trends or lose it to those who are willing to keep up with technology & trends'. Are you arguing against that?
sek Cameras: 5D III, 5D II, EOS M  Lenses:  24-70 2.8 II IS, 24-105 f4L, 70-200 f4L IS, 70-200 f2.8L IS II, EF 300 f4L IS, EF 400 5.6L, 300 2.8 IS II, Samyang 14 mm 2.8 Flashes: 580 EX II600EX-RT X 2, ST-E3-RT
Plus lots of stuff that just didn't work for me

ECRoyce

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2013, 10:18:46 AM »
It appears that you guys are "of an age"?

Perhaps, at least Old enough to know better than to misquote someone else when attempting to formulate an Argument.

Maybe concentrate on some Original viewpoint in your next Post on the Subject, if your stuck for a viewpoint, try misquoting one of those 665,000,000 users on FB that you feel are worth getting in touch with, I'm sure one of them will be Happy to help you out.

And No, your Wrong, FB have a section for Business where the Account is formed in the Business Name, see what happens when we use selective quoting ?? No ?? Not surprised.
If you would have elaborated more on why you seemingly hate Facebook so much and actively attempt to encourage your opinion be shared by others, he may not have had to jump to a conclusion based solely on the information and opinion you had previously shared in your first post.

however, you should realize that you are misquoting (at least misnaming people) and jumping to your own conclusions in your own posts, so I'd suggest to live and let live.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 10:22:15 AM by ECRoyce »

unfocused

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2013, 10:25:47 AM »
Interesting discussion. I've generally used my Facebook page for personal photos, rather than for portfolio images (with some exceptions) but after seeing what Wayne has done, I may need to rethink this. A few years ago, blogging was all the rage, but I wonder now if Facebook isn't a more effective medium for some of the things that we used to use blogs for.

Need to do some serious thinking about this.

As far as the "certain age" comment goes, I wonder if Louis realizes that the single largest demographic for Facebook is women over 40.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

ECRoyce

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2013, 10:31:28 AM »
My feeling on fb is that there is a lot of "I'm having eggs for breakfast" type of garbage, no doubt.  However, it does present with marketing opportunities if done properly, and aggressively.  I have a fb page for business, and I don't follow my own wisdom.  I treat it more like a hobby.  Why?  I don't care for it much, but then, if I don't pay some attention to it, or I don't have it, others will, and I need to stay relevant in the digital world of marketing.
You absolutely do not want to get on Twitter then (at least not follow anyone's personal feeds).  hahaha.

The good news, is you only have to pay attention to what you want.  Social media does tend to have quite a cost of time spent vs benefit of leads and clients at the upstart in my experience.  However, when people approach you and expressly ask if you have a Facebook page they can look at, that should give you some indication of a potential customer's desire for you to have one.   

And yes, you can always say 'no, but you can look at this other page I have'.  The benefit of using social media pages is that if they choose to follow you, they will get periodic streams of your info/work they might not otherwise see if they just went to your website once.

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2013, 10:46:01 AM »
I have never had an interest in joining Facebook, but finally decided to make a business (artist) page for my photography.  During signup, it would not let me upload the profile photo (even though it was very small file and correct dimensions and file type).  When I clicked skip (to see if I could go back) it said account disabled.  I tried to reregister with a different email and it also said account disabled.

I questioned whether or not Facebook is worth doing, and since it seems they will not even let me sign up I guess not.  They also do not have an email or phone for tech support, so my gut insinct is to avoid it entirely.  My only reason for signing up was to add the icon on my website to try to improve search engine rankings.

Thoughts?

I have avoided FB and Twitter and the like like the plague for years. I often wonder if I'm the last hold out...
:)

But I have serious privacy concerns about FB especially.  In my line of work (my day job) I have to be able to pass security tests, etc...so, I find it best NOT to have all my personal info out there and connections to others that can easily be searched and used by corporate or government types.

That being said, for business.....I might consider setting one up. It *is* often touted as a great way to reach your customer base.  If my photography/videography business actually really starts generating something and I try to move more into that, then I will consider having a FB account only for my business, but will do everything I possibly can to keep it divorced from my personal information and personal life.

I've felt this way for a long time....I do a lot of database design and information gathering, organization and analysis type work and I KNOW what can be done with the aggregation of a lot of small bits of data into a large picture when it is put together.

This is what I've been concerned about long before the recent NSA revelations....

Anyway, personally, I do NOT do FB or those types of social media.  All of my friends that I want to keep in touch with, I keep in touch with by phone call, personal visits, email....even the odd card via snail mail.

But unless for possible business needs, I would touch social media with a 10-ft pole.

As Monty Python demonstrated, sometimes it best "Not to Be Seen..."

Monty Python "How Not To Be Seen"

:P

cayenne
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 10:50:28 AM by cayenne »

sanj

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2013, 10:47:50 AM »
Certainly worth it.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2013, 10:47:50 AM »

Pieces Of E

• Rebel T5i
  • Canon owners and operators
    • View Profile
    • Pieces Of E, LLC
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2013, 11:21:50 AM »
It is my understanding that once you upload your hard earned images to facebook, they become property of facebook. Also, if you upload some nice large hi-res copies of your images, then your new 'friends' can just "Right-Click, Save As" to their computer and now they don't need you anymore, much less are they even gonna think about BUYING the image they just stole. Just thinkin' here.... ::)
EOS 7D, BG-E7, EF 300L IS f4, EF 100L IS f2.8 macro, EF 24-105L IS f4 , EF 1.4 extender MKIII, EF-S 10-22 f3.5-5.6, 70-200L IS f2.8 II, EOS-M, 22 f2 STM, EF-S 18-135 IS STM, EF 85 f1.8

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2013, 11:39:56 AM »
It is my understanding that once you upload your hard earned images to facebook, they become property of facebook. Also, if you upload some nice large hi-res copies of your images, then your new 'friends' can just "Right-Click, Save As" to their computer and now they don't need you anymore, much less are they even gonna think about BUYING the image they just stole. Just thinkin' here.... ::)

I've been watching a lot of marketing talk lately from sources like creativelive...and most do say to have a Business presence on FB, BUT....don't post high-res, non-watermarked images there.

And that the main thing you use the FB account for, is to drive customers/clients from there to YOUR own website and blogs.  You aren't using FB primarily for a website or business, but as basically a big link to send them to your own sites where you do have more control.

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2013, 11:50:49 AM »
As far as the "certain age" comment goes, I wonder if Louis realizes that the single largest demographic for Facebook is women over 40.

A columnist for a paper I once edited dubbed this "the menopause brigade." In a time long before politically correct BS, of course.

That writer went on to get a Ph.D. in psychology and made a fine living for many years from the members of his "brigade."
Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

Triggyman

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2013, 12:15:31 PM »
Also one thing about Facebook I can say is I think it's better not to mix your personal profile with your business.

My best friend since childhood bought a DSLR less than a year ago and made it a business doing gigs (events, cosplay). In fairness to him, he was already interested in photography for years but could not afford the gear.

Against my advice, he didn't create a separate profile for his business and don't be motivated with Likes. He posts too much of his work in FB. He posts a lot everyday and it's getting too out of hand so I took him off my news feed (yes, it's becoming very annoying). He gets the likes and comments (which by the way, his main motivation for posting) but from what I see all from people I don't know and barely from his real friends and relatives.

Someone said to resist the urge to post everyday, and I understand why.

5D Mark III, EF 24-105mm F/4L IS, EF 35mm f/2 IS USM, EF 100mm F/2.8L Macro, 600EX-RT. Wishlist: Upcoming 50mm f/1.8 IS USM or 50mm f/1.2L USM

westr70

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2013, 01:08:41 PM »

[/quote]

I've been watching a lot of marketing talk lately from sources like creativelive...and most do say to have a Business presence on FB, BUT....don't post high-res, non-watermarked images there.

And that the main thing you use the FB account for, is to drive customers/clients from there to YOUR own website and blogs.  You aren't using FB primarily for a website or business, but as basically a big link to send them to your own sites where you do have more control.
[/quote]

I agree with the above.  I use fb to get the experience of feedback and at least 50 percent of these people are strangers.  I have a FB for just my photography.  You can see what resonates and what doesn't.  It has been a positive move for myself.
5DIII; 600D; 7D; 100-400mm, f4.5-5.6; EFS-18-135, f3.5-5.6; 100mm, f2.8 IS; 70-200mm, F4 L IS; 17-40mm, f4 L USM; Sigma 50 mm, f2.8.
http://500px.com/Westr70
http://www.facebook.com/JohnFosterPhotography

celliottuk

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2013, 06:13:56 PM »
The idea of Marketing is to make you and your products known to potential purchasors. The problem with that glimpse of the obvious is that you don't know where your potential purchasors are, you also don't know how they like to be contacted or touched, so, you have to employ multiple touch mechanisms.
There none of the following will make you a millionaire overnight
Web-site
Facebook
Twitter
Speaking/lecturing slots
Blogs
Direct mail
Advertising
because some people use Twitter to stay connected, some read newspapers, some are e-mail junkies and so on.
Therefore the most sensible advice is to pick 2 or 3 from the list and do them very well. They should be consistent in terms of messaging, and above all, current and relevant.
Think about your own activities. Where do you get your information from? If you met someone at a party who was selling something you wanted, how would you check them out? That alone might give you some guidance.

I do a lot of live event photography, and having a FB presence is crucial as "Faster" is commonly more important than "Better"-nobody reads yeasterday's newspaper, and my shots have a "Sell by Date" measured in hours or, at best days

The last thing to say is that there is nothing that is an overnight "Fix". Just as in the old days, a photographer would show a portfolio of work going back over a number of years, you have to, in effect do the same in new media-posting one great shot on FB won't do it-after all you might be a "one shot wonder", people want to see depth and breadth of achievement.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2013, 06:13:56 PM »

RGF

• 1D X
  • How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2013, 08:25:15 PM »
FB is a great tool but their policies are very harsch.  ASMP had piece on how they can use any image posted on their site, however they want without giving credit or royalties.    Not for me.

Yes use them to network and make contacts but don't put your good stuff there - provide a link

eml58

• 1D X
  • 1Dx
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2013, 08:32:55 PM »

If you would have elaborated more on why you seemingly hate Facebook so much and actively attempt to encourage your opinion be shared by others, he may not have had to jump to a conclusion based solely on the information and opinion you had previously shared in your first post.

I'll give it a Go.

My first Post split comments between my view of FB from a Personal perspective, and a Business perspective, comments were an attempt to answer the original Question, is FB worth it (Generally that was the thrust of the question posed).

My short comment (that was taken out of context & therefore misquoted), was that "Personally" I don't have time for FB or most Social Media sites, my concern here is about the Security aspect of Peoples Personal Information when shared on FB, the opportunity that presents itself for uncaring and hurtful content that can filter back to an individual that has inadvertently left themselves open to malicious comment.

Hence my one liner re not Personally liking FB (or other social media sites) and in particular not for my Children, who seem to be the ones that suffer the most from idiots on the Web. At no point did I state or intimate that I "Hated" FB, or any other Social Media outlet.

The second part of my Original Post was wether or not from a Business perspective FB was worth the effort, I'm pretty sure when re reading my Post that my view was Positive to the business aspect of FB/Google + etc, in fact I own 50% of a Live-aboard Dive Boat Business in Indonesia and our Management operates a FB account for both Boats, I'm not convinced it adds to the bottom line, but as someone else has mentioned in earlier Posts on this thread, better to be in the mix and hope to reap some benefit, than sit outside and have no opportunity to benefit. But as a Marketing Tool I feel it has Potential, it's just not easy to determine concrete benefits, but it costs zero, so it's worth the effort.

The comment by an earlier poster regards "Of an Age" is derogatory, it assumes anyone that's not a member of the Younger Brigade isn't up to seeing Modern concepts like Social Media sites, it's a choice thing, not a smarts thing, I choose to continue to speak to friends and Family, directly when ever I possibly can, on the phone or on Skype when they're to far away, or by email & sms when required, I don't choose to have my personal information and views aired to the WWW on a daily basis.

I make a small exception for CR, not so much in this type of Thread, more on the Photography side.

And I wasn't trying to have my opinion shared by others, I don't care if my opinion on Social Media is shared by others, I was attempting to offer opinion on the Original Posters question, is FB worth the effort ?? and I resent being misquoted or having a partial line of my comments used as fuel for someone else's rant.

Much like I'm doing here    ;).

« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 08:57:08 PM by eml58 »
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2013, 08:32:55 PM »