October 25, 2014, 03:47:27 PM

Author Topic: Is Facebook worth it?  (Read 9131 times)

MrFotoFool

• Canon 70D
  • 5D mk3
    • View Profile
    • HoodFineArt
Re: Is Facebook worth it?
« Reply #45 on: October 01, 2013, 06:08:01 PM »
Yes, that should resolve the problems you've been having and no, your profile pictures can be different :)

Much thanks. Maybe I will give it another go.  My next question is, should I use a different email than the one I already tried?  Since the previous one is now listed as account disabled, I wonder if I would get the same message trying to create a personal profile with that same email?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: October 01, 2013, 06:08:01 PM »

bleephotography

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 01, 2013, 07:24:38 PM »
Yes, that should resolve the problems you've been having and no, your profile pictures can be different :)

Much thanks. Maybe I will give it another go.  My next question is, should I use a different email than the one I already tried?  Since the previous one is now listed as account disabled, I wonder if I would get the same message trying to create a personal profile with that same email?

To be honest I'm not 100% sure, although it couldn't hurt and you can always change it after your new account is established.
70D  |  40 STM  |  60 Macro  |  17-55  |  18-135 STM  |  55-250 STM  |  320EX  |  Extender 1.4x III  |  PCB Einstein

dstppy

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 02, 2013, 09:59:25 AM »
Is Facebook worth it?

"what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world and forfeits his soul?" Matthew 16:26

Sorry, had to do it.  I await my disciplinary beating.

;D ;D ;D
Canon Rumors is presently creating photographer shortages in Middle Earth (all the trolls emigrated here)

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 02, 2013, 10:00:36 AM »
Hey...can anybody that uses FB for business needs, can you confirm or dispel the requirement to have a PERSONAL account on Facebook before you can open a business acct, and have to link them together??

bleephotography

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 02, 2013, 03:56:43 PM »
Hey...can anybody that uses FB for business needs, can you confirm or dispel the requirement to have a PERSONAL account on Facebook before you can open a business acct, and have to link them together??

Unfortunately, I do not have a business page but I can confirm that you do need a personal account/timeline in order to create one: https://www.facebook.com/help/217671661585622

"Facebook Pages look similar to personal timelines, but they offer unique tools for connecting people to a topic you care about, like a business, brand, organization or celebrity. Pages are managed by admins who have personal timelines. Pages are not separate Facebook accounts and do not have separate login information from your timeline."

You don't, however, have to post anything on your timeline or refer others to it from your business page for it can be a separate entity as far as the public is concerned. Hope this helps.
70D  |  40 STM  |  60 Macro  |  17-55  |  18-135 STM  |  55-250 STM  |  320EX  |  Extender 1.4x III  |  PCB Einstein

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 02, 2013, 04:45:40 PM »

Unfortunately, I do not have a business page but I can confirm that you do need a personal account/timeline in order to create one: https://www.facebook.com/help/217671661585622

"Facebook Pages look similar to personal timelines, but they offer unique tools for connecting people to a topic you care about, like a business, brand, organization or celebrity. Pages are managed by admins who have personal timelines. Pages are not separate Facebook accounts and do not have separate login information from your timeline."

You don't, however, have to post anything on your timeline or refer others to it from your business page for it can be a separate entity as far as the public is concerned. Hope this helps.

That blows.

I don't want to really put any personally identifiable information into FB's computers.  I wonder how good they are at checking or verifying that that new user "Fred Flintstone" isn't really a real person....?

Do you think listing hometown as Bedrock would be too much of a giveaway and be caught by their filters?
:)

LewisShermer

• EOS M2
  • point shoot hope
    • View Profile
    • Business!
« Reply #51 on: October 03, 2013, 04:37:51 AM »
bloody hell, everyone is so damn paranoid... "They" are not out to get us. "They" couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery... as demonstrated by the (North) American government falling apart this week.
5Diii, 1Dsiii, 60D, 500D, EX580, loads of crappy flash guns... 28mm 1.8, Sigma 35mm 1.4 Art, 50mm 1.4, 100mm macro 2.8, 24-105mm 4L, 70-200mm 2.8L, lensbaby composer...

www.lewismaxwell.co.uk

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: October 03, 2013, 04:37:51 AM »

sanj

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 03, 2013, 08:58:02 AM »
bloody hell, everyone is so damn paranoid... "They" are not out to get us. "They" couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery... as demonstrated by the (North) American government falling apart this week.

Absolutely! I have been on facebook for a long time now and am still alive! Friend me: Sanjay F. Gupta....

dstppy

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 03, 2013, 09:37:50 AM »

Long ago, I was perfectly happy being paranoid. I knew it so I felt secure in the fact that it was probably just my imagination.  Then a friend pointed out "Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean people AREN'T out to get you" ;)

Seriously though, I'm down on facebook/twitter for why most people use it and how it's used, not data wise. 

If you want to worry about someone, worry about google; they track you multiple ways (they have a huge hash with mac addresses against searches).  I found 'my' search history in my google account and it had searches from machines that pre-dated the actual google account. At first I was laughing, thinking "what a dork" that I was looking up, then I got the creepiness about it. I turned it off and 'deleted' my data, but it's there.
Canon Rumors is presently creating photographer shortages in Middle Earth (all the trolls emigrated here)

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 03, 2013, 10:09:06 AM »
Depends on your life needs.

It is not a great thing to have, if you need a security clearance, with much of that, it isn't so much YOU, but who you associate with, and with friends of friends of friends like people seem to gather on FB, you might get some bad apples that you didn't even directly link to, but it can hurt you.

Also, recent stories have come to light about credit ratings....they are going to social media, and looking to see how your friends are and if you have some deadbeat friends, they have it in their algorithms to lower your score with the assumption that you might be more of a credit risk if you associate with people that are credit risks.

I do databases, and information gathering for a living. Trust me, I *know* the value of aggregated data and what it can do to paint a picture for various uses on places, things and people.

Even if you're not concerned about govt. looking at this data....this information is being sold off to any corporation or private entity that has the money for whatever they want to do with it.

I dunno...I just grew up valuing my privacy. I've been on the internet and the web since about '92, and even back then in its infancy, people's mantra was to not give out too much personal info and stay as anonymous as possible.

I know it is almost impossible to have full privacy today unless you live in a shack in the mountains cut off from everyone else.  But, I'll be d@mned if I'm going to voluntarily hand over everything there is to know about me to anyone or any company.

I'll put what I need out there for business, but I want to keep as much of my personal data off as many databases as I possibly can. 

That's my $0.02,

C

LewisShermer

• EOS M2
  • point shoot hope
    • View Profile
    • Business!
« Reply #55 on: October 03, 2013, 10:57:53 AM »
I post that much rubbish that anything worth anything to anyone gets lost in the matrix
5Diii, 1Dsiii, 60D, 500D, EX580, loads of crappy flash guns... 28mm 1.8, Sigma 35mm 1.4 Art, 50mm 1.4, 100mm macro 2.8, 24-105mm 4L, 70-200mm 2.8L, lensbaby composer...

www.lewismaxwell.co.uk

wsgroves

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Muddy Creek Studios
« Reply #56 on: October 03, 2013, 11:19:55 AM »
Not sure if its related to the OP but I do know that you should watch what you post on FB.
A lot of companies now will try to gain entrance and have a look at what you post, which can definitely have an effect on whether you get that new job or not.
My wife posts a lot (pix) but I rarely do.
1D Mark II, 5D3, 7D
Please check out my site.
http://muddycreekstudios.4ormat.com/

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #56 on: October 03, 2013, 11:19:55 AM »