October 21, 2014, 12:54:18 AM

Author Topic: Priest meltdown over photographer at wedding. Ouch!! :O  (Read 12604 times)

agierke

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
Re: Priest meltdown over photographer at wedding. Ouch!! :O
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2013, 11:48:05 PM »
"This is about God."!!!!!!!! Oh lord!

It is not correct to comment on the situation without knowing complete facts but this being about God is so far fetched.

Sanj,

the priest is wearing a collar and as takesome1 pointed out, it is most certainly a Catholic Priest or at the very least a Christian one.

it is FACT that the sacrament of marriage in Christianity is about God and the couple coming together before Him. ask any Priest...they hold the marriage ceremony very sacred. i served next to priests as an altar server during masses and many weddings for over 10 years. i know what i am talking about.

i am not trying to debate the validity of there being a God or any of that. i am not a practicing catholic anymore. it is their beliefs, not mine, that are important during that moment. i still hold respect for other's beliefs regardless of the denomination. you can never go wrong with respect.

the photographers were in the wrong in this situation. the priests reaction was totally justified based on the religious doctrine of the ceremony. you don't have to agree with it or like it, but you should be aware of it.
5D3, 5D2, 5DC, s15mm Fish, 24mm TSE, 35mm F1.4L, 50mm F1.2L, 85mm F1.8, 100mm F2.8L, 24-70mm F2.8L, 70-200mm F2.8L, 580EX, 580EX2, 600EXRT

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2013, 11:48:05 PM »

Codzilla

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2013, 12:50:23 AM »
For those that think the couple has the final say because both the officiant and photogs are there to provide a service, think again. There is a hierarchy at a Christian wedding and, surprise, the minister is at the top. They call it "preside" over a wedding because he is THE boss. And he was given that responsibility by the B&G. Look up the word if you don't believe me, "president" derives from it.

If they don't agree with the religious component of the wedding, they can hire an actor or JP or whatever. If they feel it's about the photos, maybe they should have gone that route.

From what I can tell, the video was set up either right on top of, or way too close to the altar (sanctuary). I have $5 that says the priest never approved that location ahead of time, regardless of his denomination.

The edited clip speaks volumes as well. It is trimmed to show the priest in the worst possible light, probably so that it would go viral (as it did). You can push someone's buttons all day until they blow up. Only post the outburst and voila, you get what we see here.

Bottom line: it's the officiant's show. They bought into his belief system, at least for the day. Fall into line and STFU. To complain about it is like voluntarily joining the army and then complaining about the stupid war you got sent to. Suck it up, buttercup.

BrandonKing96

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2013, 12:54:49 AM »
I don't blame the priest for blowing up at them, because of how invasive they actually were.  But then the problem arises- that's what they are being paid for and they're doing their job.  They're being paid to document the wedding (as bad as they are doing it). 
And I feel as if the priest (as worked up as he was) should have discussed it at a latter time, NOT at a crucial part of the ceremony in front of everyone, ruining the beauty of the moment. 
It's bad on either side.  The photographers were too invasive, and the priest didn't choose the correct moment to... "discuss" the issue.
However, everyone is only thinking about the priest and documenting crew.  What about the bride? A wedding is, after all, also subtitled as "the bride's (big) day".
Canon 5D Mark III and Canon 60D; EF-S 10-22; EF 70-200 f/4L IS; EF 24-70 f/2.8L II; 580EX II.  Soon to add: 50 1.2L, 135 f/2L, 8-15L

takesome1

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2013, 07:52:52 AM »
What about the bride? A wedding is, after all, also subtitled as "the bride's (big) day".

This brings up another way to look at this.
Of course it is possible this video was released with the Bride and Grooms permission afterwards.
But what if it wasn't.
What if it was released and now this embarrassing moment is out for the entire world to see. The one moment she had dreamed about her whole life released because some egotistical self centered photographer didn't like what happened.
What if this photographer is one of those we see that worry about retaining the rights to their own photographs, they worry about the rights so they can publish later if they like and feel entitled to do whatever they want with those images regardless of the consequences to others. We often see this mindset with street photographers who have the "right" to do what they do.

If the video was released without the B&G's permission after the event (not by their contract) then in my book this guy is real piece of work.

AmbientLight

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2013, 08:21:56 AM »
If the video was released without the B&G's permission after the event (not by their contract) then in my book this guy is real piece of work.

Let's do hope that this is not the case. This would be even more embarrassing than what I consider the priest's lack of tact in handling the situation.

Let us also not forget that in today's societies many couples do marry out of a sense of tradition or pleasing their parents or just making a big show out of their marriage, only to make up in advance for facing divorce only a couple of years later, but this does not in any way make them buy into medieval church practices or the like, so the comparison with joining the army is not valid here. Being a Christian or Muslim or Hindu or whatever is your personal decision. I have found that many priests do realize that times have indeed changed and act accordingly, although the extent to which they openly show that does depend on their particular faith and of course on the country they operate in.

Vossie

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2013, 09:14:16 AM »

There is an additional video on youtube: something would happen - feat: ABC News

The bride's brother posted the video. According to the couple (who spoke in the ABC coverage in the youtube link above) the photog had not gotten any restrictions other than not blocking the isle. They were very surprised about the priest's action. They did not blaim the photog is any way.

The photog was Kamrul Haman. I looked at his website (www.dhoomstudio.com) and am not particulaly impressed by his portfolio. In his blog (http://www.dhoomstudio.com/blog/) he has a posting about the incident incl some pic from happier moments of the day. He quote's the bride stating that it did not ruin the day.
5D3, 16-35LII, 24-70 2.8LII, 24-105L, 85LII, 70-200 2.8LII, 100L, 135L, 100-400L, 50 1.4, 40 2.8, Sigma 180 3.5 EX, 1.4x TC III, 600EX, 550EX

Joe M

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Joe Mayer Photography
« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2013, 09:22:00 AM »

Let's do hope that this is not the case. This would be even more embarrassing than what I consider the priest's lack of tact in handling the situation.

I followed the link to youtube last night and there was a second one.  It actually made the news on GoodMorningAmerica.  Egads.  In any case, in appears if I'm hearing it right, that the brother of the bride posted it with the couple's permission.  The groom says there were no rules discussed other than to stay out of the aisle.  This would seem to excuse the posting as the photographer trying to embarrass the minister (Episcopalian), but rather just the couple trying to share their uncomfortable moment. 

I'm sure there is a little bit of embarrassment to be shared by everyone involved in this but to take something positive from it, maybe all brides-to-be should take note and ensure that everything about the ceremony is crystal clear with your minister and that includes what the photographer can and cannot do (maybe even in writing). 
Edit...... And as I'm writing this, I see Vossie just posted the other link.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2013, 09:22:00 AM »

takesome1

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2013, 10:24:08 AM »

There is an additional video on youtube: something would happen - feat: ABC News

The bride's brother posted the video. According to the couple (who spoke in the ABC coverage in the youtube link above) the photog had not gotten any restrictions other than not blocking the isle. They were very surprised about the priest's action. They did not blaim the photog is any way.

The photog was Kamrul Haman. I looked at his website (www.dhoomstudio.com) and am not particulaly impressed by his portfolio. In his blog (http://www.dhoomstudio.com/blog/) he has a posting about the incident incl some pic from happier moments of the day. He quote's the bride stating that it did not ruin the day.

Stop the video at :38 and imagine how Haman and his other photographer would look standing behind the pastor in the middle of the arbor at the most important part of the ceremony.

The photog needs to get a clue, he was only told to stay out of the aisle? He should have enough sense to stay out of scene.

sanj

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2013, 10:35:15 AM »

It is not correct to comment on the situation without knowing complete facts but this being about God is so far fetched.

Sanj,

the priest is wearing a collar and as takesome1 pointed out, it is most certainly a Catholic Priest or at the very least a Christian one.

it is FACT that the sacrament of marriage in Christianity is about God and the couple coming together before Him. ask any Priest...they hold the marriage ceremony very sacred. i served next to priests as an altar server during masses and many weddings for over 10 years. i know what i am talking about.

i am not trying to debate the validity of there being a God or any of that. i am not a practicing catholic anymore. it is their beliefs, not mine, that are important during that moment. i still hold respect for other's beliefs regardless of the denomination. you can never go wrong with respect.

the photographers were in the wrong in this situation. the priests reaction was totally justified based on the religious doctrine of the ceremony. you don't have to agree with it or like it, but you should be aware of it.

I see your point entirely, totally. I just find it difficult to believe that God is part of any of these man made rituals. Just my thoughts... I do not want to offend anyone here. Pls do not get me wrong.

sanj

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2013, 10:39:59 AM »

Maybe to you. I have known many Christian pastors that take the exchanging of the vows very seriously. The Bride and Groom are taking a Vow before God. Very serious and somber thing.

He wears a collar with a cross on the back and dresses like a priest?  I would assume he is either Catholic or some Christian denomination.

The photographer (or the Bride and Groom) chose to post this video on You Tube. So it is very correct to comment on it since they obviously are wanting to be noticed. It was placed in a public forum to be seen.

Yes yes to ME. Without offending ANYONE, I do not think two people getting dressed a certain way and taking wows has anything to do with God. My opinion.

CR00

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2013, 10:49:45 AM »
Most photographers would blame priests and most priests would blame photographers.  Both were trying to do their jobs, but I think the photographer is more to blame.  Both bride and groom were standing still, why was the photographer shooting in burst mode and standing so close and behind the priest.

tphillips63

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 01, 2013, 10:59:24 AM »
To me, that close right behind his ear with the machine gun rate going off, I'm sure it was extremely distracting for the priest. It could have been handled better but I blame the photogs the most.

Shouldn't they have tried the silent shutter option if they wanted to set up that close?
EOS 5D Mk III | EF 16-35/2.8L  | EF 24-105/4L IS | EF 70-200/2.8L II IS | TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II | EF 35mm f/1.4L | EF 40/f2.8 P | EF 50/1.2L | EF 180/3.5L | 600EX RT |

AcutancePhotography

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 01, 2013, 12:09:13 PM »
I don't have a lot of experience in wedding photography, but is it a common practice to "spray and pray" like that one photographer was doing? 
I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: October 01, 2013, 12:09:13 PM »

Casey

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
    • Pbase
« Reply #43 on: October 01, 2013, 12:22:57 PM »
My hunch is that the priest was having a bad day and did not expect to hear the constant CLICK CLICK CLICK behind him that just eventually got to him and he just couldn't concentrate on the ceremony.  If someone is REALLY annoying sometimes you can hold it in too long and then when you let them know it comes out really bad.  He doesn't look like a rookie priest so perhaps he just never had to deal with the constant clicking before and assumed that they knew what they were doing so he gave little direction.

My first hunch on watching the video was that they tried to save money by hiring the friend of a buddy that happened to have a DSLR and assumed they knew how to photograph a wedding.  Linking into the blog I am rather surprised that a professional would keep clicking the shutter so close without realizing how annoying it was.  But it is also possible that the annoying person was not part of the crew that was hired to take the photos.  The priest wouldn't know.

I thought that the blog seemed to concentrate heavily on the rings and shoes and not much on the couple. 
6D,T3i 24-105L,70-300L, 40 pancake, 50 1.8, 85 1.8

Pinchers of Peril

• Rebel T5i
  • Shoot first ask questions later
    • View Profile
    • PS Photography
« Reply #44 on: October 01, 2013, 12:24:12 PM »
Wouldn't the "silent shutter mode" of the 5DIII have prevented this mess.  Just another reason why the 5DIII is a must :)
Canon 5D Mark III, 85 1.2 II, 70-200 2.8 IS II, 16-35 2.8 II, 50 1.4, 40mm pancake www.paulandsunny.blogspot.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: October 01, 2013, 12:24:12 PM »