December 17, 2014, 02:59:07 PM

Author Topic: Priest meltdown over photographer at wedding. Ouch!! :O  (Read 13647 times)

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Priest meltdown over photographer at wedding. Ouch!! :O
« on: September 30, 2013, 12:33:33 PM »
Wow...I was amazed to see this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oReLN5nntKw&feature=player_embedded#t=1

I mean, I've heard of officiants getting testy inside of church buildings, but even then, usually setting the rules before the ceremony.

This guy blows up in the MIDDLE of the ceremony, embarrassing the bride and groom....and this ceremony was OUTDOORS.

I read one quote someone made on YouTube that I agreed with.  The groom should have leaned into the priests ear and said something like "I'm paying the photographers much like I'm paying you, please continue. And..if you do walk out, I'll sue your ass off, now, please get back to marrying us..."

cayenne

canon rumors FORUM

Priest meltdown over photographer at wedding. Ouch!! :O
« on: September 30, 2013, 12:33:33 PM »

AmbientLight

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
Re: Priest meltdown over photographer at wedding. Ouch!! :O
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2013, 01:35:01 PM »
This is just sad.

It appears that this priest has some serious delusions of grandeur. If god was actually watching this, the priest failed to notice the resulting heavenly facepalm motion. So much for his connection to his boss.

YuengLinger

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2013, 01:45:48 PM »
That was a mild rebuke, far from a "meltdown." 

Believe me, I've been the recipient of meltdown behavior--at events where everybody was signed off except one hissy-fit prone individual or another.

In this case, the priest was stressed about something, and the clacking of the shutters irritated him.  He could have communicated better, being clear about shooting from another location versus leaving the premises, but he doesn't deserve disrespectful derision. 

I know, as a photographer, we can think the wedding is put on for our benefit.  A reminder now and then doesn't hurt.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 01:48:28 PM by YuengLinger »

AmbientLight

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2013, 01:58:05 PM »
The wedding should be for the benefit of the bride and groom and their friends and family. Anything else (catering, chauffeur services and the like) is just part of the package.

Both wedding photography and priestly services are services, which should be provided in a professional fashion.

I don't see why a priest shouldn't get along with wedding photographers. I believe it is fine, if the priest asks for photos not to be taken during some parts of the ceremony, when the priest wants to say something meaningful, but generally sending the photographers off, because the priest doesn't feel like getting center stage is going too far, because it will ruin the couple's opportunities for getting those memories and having them preserved in lovely photos. This is as much a part of a wedding as anything else that comes with it.

LSV

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2013, 02:01:19 PM »

I read one quote someone made on YouTube that I agreed with.  The groom should have leaned into the priests ear and said something like "I'm paying the photographers much like I'm paying you, please continue. And..if you do walk out, I'll sue your ass off, now, please get back to marrying us..."

cayenne

I totally disagree with this.  So, the groom would add his meltdown to the officiant's over-reaction?  You have not seen anything yet until the bride breaks down when the officiant walks away.

Rocky

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2013, 02:05:38 PM »

I mean, I've heard of officiants getting testy inside of church buildings, but even then, usually setting the rules before the ceremony.

This guy blows up in the MIDDLE of the ceremony, embarrassing the bride and groom....and this ceremony was OUTDOORS.

cayenne

I will not call it a meltdown. The priest is very calm. We only see part of it. We do not know whether the photographer has asked the priest's consent BEFORE the ceremony or not. Even worst, the priest may have announce that no photographer is allow in the alter area and the photographer has ignored it.  Most of the priest will not allow photography during the ceremony no matter whether it is inside of the church or outdoor. If the photographer is a professional,   he should know better. The priest has the right to ask him to leave whether the photographer is hire by the groom or not.

AmbientLight

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2013, 02:11:50 PM »
I will not call it a meltdown. The priest is very calm. We only see part of it. We do not know whether the photographer has asked the priest's consent BEFORE the ceremony or not. Even worst, the priest may have announce that no photographer is allow in the alter area and the photographer has ignored it.  Most of the priest will not allow photography during the ceremony no matter whether it is inside of the church or outdoor. If the photographer is a professional,   he should know better. The priest has the right to ask him to leave whether the photographer is hire by the groom or not.

This is certainly correct in a church or church-owned facility. In the video it appears to be outside an area, where the priest would have any say over such things. In any case priest and photographer should talk before the ceremony and not like this, during the ceremony. This is just awkward.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2013, 02:11:50 PM »

bleephotography

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2013, 02:17:12 PM »

cayenne

I wouldn't call his reaction "very calm." A calm response would have been to simply and politely ask the photographers to remove themselves. I don't know what kind of weddings you've been to, but all the ceremonies I've been to, even the ones in churches, have allowed photographers to do their thing. The priest's reaction was obviously tacky, whether warranted or not, and what it comes down to is that it was the bride and groom's day, not his...so if they wanted the photographer there, and he wasn't interfering with the ceremony, then what's the problem?
70D  |  40 STM  |  60 Macro  |  17-55  |  18-135 STM  |  55-250 STM  |  320EX  |  Extender 1.4x III  |  PCB Einstein

surapon

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • 80% BY HEART, 15% BY LENSES AND ONLY 5% BY CAMERA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2013, 02:34:59 PM »

cayenne

+ 1 For me too.
Yes in The Large Church, The Wedding in North Carolina, No photographer allow at the Altar area or the Church Sanctuary/ Main Floor level, Except at the Balcony area of the Sanctuary , where we set the Tripods and the Big Zoom Lens or The Big Telephotos Lens, for the Main Photographers, And Let the support photographers  shoot from the back of the sanctuary----YES, the Shutter Sound, if Close to the Priest , will interrupt the Ceremony and Priest's  speech---Special some new/ Spring chicken - wedding photographers might use continuous shooting mode--That One in a life time ---That are Formal Ceremony.
Yes, As the Wedding photographers, We must have the rehearsal 1 day before the real ceremony, and we will learn the rules from all the people involve.  No, We, as the good , Professional Wedding Photographers, We will not screw up the expensive ceremony, and Lose our face  and lose future job, for the future $ 20,000 US Dollars Fee.  for two day works.
Surapon

paul13walnut5

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2013, 02:49:45 PM »
ok.  DSLR1 is shooting the video.
DSLR 2 unseen is clicking away.  We can hear it.  If we can hear it, the preist can hear it.  The couple can hear it.
clickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclick

And as the video DSLR walks away we see the third photographer beside the bridesmaids.

There is also a tripod on the lawn behind the seats.

Emmm.  I'm with the priest.

dtaylor

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2013, 03:04:31 PM »

Yep. Completely unprofessional behavior on the part of the priest. No one has a right to do what he did except the bride and groom. Doesn't matter if we think the photographers were or were not over stepping their bounds. That's up to only two people, and only those two people have a right to say anything.

If the bride and/or groom are not visibly annoyed or saying something, keep it to yourself and keep the ceremony moving smoothly forward.

dtaylor

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2013, 03:10:54 PM »
I will not call it a meltdown. The priest is very calm.

No he wasn't. His tone and jarring interruption of the most important part of the day were anything but calm.

We do not know whether the photographer has asked the priest's consent BEFORE the ceremony or not. Even worst, the priest may have announce that no photographer is allow in the alter area and the photographer has ignored it.  Most of the priest will not allow photography during the ceremony no matter whether it is inside of the church or outdoor. If the photographer is a professional,   he should know better.

Irrelevant. If the activity is not upsetting the bride and groom or otherwise wrecking the ceremony (and by wrecking I mean the priest literally cannot continue speaking), then you deal with it afterwards. You don't air it out in front of everyone drawing attention away from the wedding.

The priest has the right to ask him to leave whether the photographer is hire by the groom or not.

Nope. It's not about the priest.

unfocused

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2013, 03:30:30 PM »
Should the photographer had discussed the ground rules with the couple and the priest beforehand? Yes.

Should the couple have discussed their expectations with the priest beforehand? Yes.

Does that justify the priest acting like a complete jerk and ruining the ceremony for the bride and groom. Absolutely not.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2013, 03:30:30 PM »

GMCPhotographics

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • GMCPhotographics
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2013, 03:35:07 PM »
This is just sad.

It appears that this priest has some serious delusions of grandeur. If god was actually watching this, the priest failed to notice the resulting heavenly facepalm motion. So much for his connection to his boss.

Most Vicars and Priests are pretty cool, but I usually get one per year who is completely unreasonable, although I've only ever had one who was this rude. I've very very unobtrusive and nearly silent but even then, I get the odd power mad minister of unrighteousness. Hey, photographers have souls which need saving too!
Unfortunately not every man in a mitre is a man of God.

bleephotography

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2013, 03:41:05 PM »
Should the photographer had discussed the ground rules with the couple and the priest beforehand? Yes.

Should the couple have discussed their expectations with the priest beforehand? Yes.

Does that justify the priest acting like a complete jerk and ruining the ceremony for the bride and groom. Absolutely not.

+1

/end thread :-X
70D  |  40 STM  |  60 Macro  |  17-55  |  18-135 STM  |  55-250 STM  |  320EX  |  Extender 1.4x III  |  PCB Einstein

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2013, 03:41:05 PM »