October 01, 2014, 06:40:04 AM

Author Topic: Priest meltdown over photographer at wedding. Ouch!! :O  (Read 12351 times)

ablearcher

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Re: Priest meltdown over photographer at wedding. Ouch!! :O
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2013, 03:46:04 PM »
Establishing a good connection/mutual understanding with a priest BEFORE the ceremony is essential. Any wedding photog has to know this. Getting that close to the priest's back is always asking for trouble. At the same time, I'd say that to some extent both the photogs and the priest are responsible for the situation. If the priest thought that an outside wedding should have the same rules as a wedding in church in terms of freedom of movement for the photogs - then he had to mention that before the ceremony. You can't mess up someone's ceremony by things like that. Look at the groom's and bride's faces in that video. So yeah, I'd say both - the photogs and the priest are responsible. I doubt both will be recommended by the couple to their friends (unless the photogs managed to get amazing shots done). But nobody wants a ceremony with an angry priest...
Canon 7D; Canon 5D MKIII; Canon EF-S 10-22mm; Canon 50mm 1.8; Canon 28mm 1.8; Canon 85mm 1.8; Canon 24-105mm 4.0 L; Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 L II IS; Canon 135mm 2.0 L; Canon 35mm 1.4 L.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2013, 03:46:04 PM »

paul13walnut5

« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2013, 04:04:16 PM »
I counted 3 cameras (the recording cam, the guy next to the recording cam firing off his shutter non-stop.  NON-STOP.  It's not downhill skiing he's shooting.  But there he she is with their motordrive. NON-RUCKING-STOP)

The video guy invaded the priests space.  Do you like folk creeping up behind you?  No. 

Then there is a third photographer next to the bridesmaids.

It's a bit much.

Perhaps the Priest could have handled things better, but I wouldn't have.

Here's the rub.

Wedding first.  The couple are there to get MARRIED.  Thats kind of important to everybody.

Photo video. 2nd or maybe even further down the list.  Whats the point of having every moment documented if every moment is ruined by the process of the documentarians?

I hate to be the anti-photographer here, but I read all the time stories about the infringement of photographers rights because of idiots taking photographs of other folks kids in public or on private land etc...

I get fed up with it, because these guys, like the MORONs in the video, are giving each and every one of us a bad name.

Will the priest now think about prohibiting photos at future weddings?  I would If I were him. 

I was photographing a firewalk last night and the organisers were intially very unfriendly, obstructive even.  Now I do video work day and daily and deal with police, security and jobsworth day and daily.  It's a fine art.

I turn up early, talk to the person in charge.  Ask what the timescale is, the geography of the situation and anything I need to be aware of or anything they want to ask me.

I'll offer to set up nice and early to see if they have any problem.

Don't turn up just before with a huge flash and barge your way to a good position and start ruining the event for everybody else.

It really is common sense. 

We do have rights, often misunderstood by a minority of cops and majority of private security folks, show a bit of respect, stand your ground if need be, calmly.

It's not your wedding.  Granted, neither is it the priests.. but he is higher up the pecking order. 
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 04:08:49 PM by paul13walnut5 »

Joe M

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Joe Mayer Photography
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2013, 04:20:39 PM »
I've been fortunate never to have experienced this but I think it's because I always, and I mean always make the time to meet the officiant whether it's an outdoor or indoor ceremony.  I ask about any "off limits" and depending upon their demeanor I'll ask for leniency when they are a little stricter than I'd like.  Sometimes I get it, sometimes not.  I may not like it when it gets strict but if an officiant were to ever have a little meltdown like this, it would not be due to me or my assistant.  That said, I'd love for one to give it to the guests for a change.  I've had many many weddings where I've been banished to the "back" while guests circle the couple with video and still cameras. 

Something that ministers (and I know a few who thankfully agree and with respect to me at least, they are lenient), have to realize is that while he is being paid to marry them, I too am being paid to do a job and the couple have certain expectations of what they'll get from me.   I think that some photographers have simply ruined it for those of us who are considerate while at the same time doing what's needed.  I think if more could use silent shutter, pause during prayer, walk quietly and stay away from the couple (that's what the big white ones are for), we wouldn't run into the issues that we do. 

And that all said, I have no idea what the full story is behind this clip.  However, just going by this clip, I think the minister could have handled it better.  We also don't know if there was more irritating behaviour before this clip.  In any case, I realize the minister was a little miffed but the look on the bride's face and even the groom's is something the photographer and minister have to live with.  One of my favourite ministers would have been irritated, sucked it up and told the photographers later that they are banished.  He now also asks couples coming to him for a wedding who their photographers are and if they are on his "black list" won't do their ceremony or asks them to reconsider.  I sort of like that approach. 

takesome1

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2013, 04:32:32 PM »
The photographer in this instance is clueless.

As photographers we think about things like composition. This guy only thought about his own composition.

This wedding had an arbor set up that frames the priest, bride and groom. Sitting in the audience you see this arbor with its beautiful backdrop and a goofy photographer that doesn't realize he has injected himself in to the composition of the wedding. He is completely clueless to his surroundings or what he is doing. He even asks where he should stand. The answer is he should be standing some place where he is not the center of attention and is un noticed. Then he is doing his job.

Do not put yourself in the scene.

As for the priest, if this were a religious based forum I would point out his flaws. It isn't so why reward this photographer for his own ignorance.

dtaylor

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2013, 04:40:16 PM »
Perhaps the Priest could have handled things better, but I wouldn't have.

Here's the rub.

Wedding first.  The couple are there to get MARRIED.  Thats kind of important to everybody.

You just contradicted yourself. If the bride and groom are really what's important, then you as the priest would either a) keep your mouth shut until after the ceremony, or b) calmly and quietly ask the photographer to move (i.e. no one else in the audience should have been privy to what was going on). Look at the bride and groom before and after the priest blew up. They were not bothered by the photographer. They WERE bothered by what the priest did.

Agreed that rules and expectations should have been established before hand; the photographers setup the situation; the photographer got too close and that bothered the priest; the photographer injected himself into the scene (idiot); etc.

But if any person except the bride or groom is upset about something and has it within their power to keep quiet until afterwards, by God you keep your mouth shut and keep the ceremony progressing smoothly for the bride and groom. This applies to relatives, friends, in laws, kids, hired help, etc, etc. You better be dying if you interrupt a ceremony like that priest did. Because if you're not and you're working for me, you will be dying later.

To be fair to the priest, when he turned around and said move the photographer should not have responded at all. He simply should have moved. "Where should I stand?" The unemployment line buddy.

I'm going to bookmark this video to show it to any future assistants as an example of what you never, ever do.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 04:42:17 PM by dtaylor »

paul13walnut5

« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2013, 06:01:04 PM »
The priest has two functions, to conduct the religious service and to officiate over the legal process of the marraige.

He's quite an important guy.

I agree that it's clear from this 30s clip that boundaries were not discussed before hand.  It's the couples big day, but the priest has a job to do.

There is no respect shown for his office or his place in the proceedings.  He could have carried himself better.

I don't see the contradictions.

ajfotofilmagem

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2013, 06:24:28 PM »
I've experienced this in a church with tight space, in which it was impossible to get farther than 2 meters grooms. :( The priest stopped the ceremony and spoke rudely to stop photo and video at the moment. :-\ We stopped and hopefully finish that moment (embarrassing). :-[ Resumed when the marriage rite went to "You accept to marry ...". :-X Oddly, this same priest loves appear in the largest broadcasting station in the city, doing ceremonies for the governor, who is also the owner of the television station. >:( Perhaps that day the priest forgot to take your medication. :P On the other hand, I realize that 1DX should not be used to take pictures at distances smaller than 3 meters from the priest. Better yet if 5 meters. ;)
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 07:20:08 PM by ajfotofilmagem »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2013, 06:24:28 PM »

bleephotography

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2013, 07:56:22 PM »
I've experienced this in a church with tight space, in which it was impossible to get farther than 2 meters grooms. :( The priest stopped the ceremony and spoke rudely to stop photo and video at the moment. :-\ We stopped and hopefully finish that moment (embarrassing). :-[ Resumed when the marriage rite went to "You accept to marry ...". :-X Oddly, this same priest loves appear in the largest broadcasting station in the city, doing ceremonies for the governor, who is also the owner of the television station. >:( Perhaps that day the priest forgot to take your medication. :P On the other hand, I realize that 1DX should not be used to take pictures at distances smaller than 3 meters from the priest. Better yet if 5 meters. ;)

Don't think I've ever seen so many different emoticons in a single post! :o
70D  |  40 STM  |  18-135 STM  |  55-250 STM  |  320EX  |  PCB Einstein

ajfotofilmagem

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2013, 09:03:42 PM »

Don't think I've ever seen so many different emoticons in a single post! :o
Some emoticon representing my face and the photographer that day. Others represent the face of the bride and groom at that time. There is no emoticon ugly enough to represent the face of the priest that day. ;D
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 09:05:34 PM by ajfotofilmagem »

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2013, 09:32:04 PM »
I can imagine it's annoying to the master of ceremonies there to have photographers around. Hell, I get annoyed as a photographer when people start watching me instead of whatever they are there to see! The whole thing could have been avoided if someone had remembered his Boy Scout training!

As for those who claim the master of ceremonies responded calmly, I've got advice for you. Stay out of poker games and fights; you're going to lose. The fire in his eyes is satanic!
Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

agierke

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2013, 10:18:14 PM »
in Catholicism, there are 7 holy sacraments. Baptism, First Communion, Reconciliation, Confirmation, Marriage, Ordination, and Last Rights. the church believes that these are moments when an individual makes a very direct and personal connection with God and it is not to be taken lightly. in the strictest observation of these sacraments, there should be absolutely no photography what so ever, but we live in modern times and whoever presides over the ceremony will determine what will be allowed and what will not.

having been an altar server, receiving 5 of the 7 sacraments myself, and being a wedding photographer as well, i am not one bit surprised about the Priests reaction nor do i disagree with it at all. Marriage is a religious ceremony first and foremost, it is a privilege to be present during it whether you be a guest or hired to photograph it. in the eyes of the church, the only necessities are God, the couple, their commitment to each other and to God, and the ordained officiant. that's it. 

now on the other hand, IF i were still a practicing Catholic, i might argue that i am practicing God's gift to me through my photography and that i am there to honor God, the couple, and the sacrament with my skills but in the end nothing trumps the sacraments.

regardless of all that, i still show the proper respect during religious ceremonies whether they be Catholic, Jewish, Hindu or whatever. that moment is not mine...it is God's and it doesn't matter if i prescribe to the doctrine or not.

5D3, 5D2, 5DC, s15mm Fish, 24mm TSE, 35mm F1.4L, 50mm F1.2L, 85mm F1.8, 100mm F2.8L, 24-70mm F2.8L, 70-200mm F2.8L, 580EX, 580EX2, 600EXRT

Krob78

• 1D X
  • When in Doubt, Press the Shutter...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2013, 10:33:28 PM »
They should have been using a 5D Mk III and been shooting in silent mode...   ;)
Ken

5D Mark III, 100-400mm L, EF 70-200mm f/2.8 II, EF 24-105mm L, EF 17-40mm L, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM,  Canon 580EX II, Canon 430EX II, Promaster TC 1.7x

takesome1

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2013, 10:40:14 PM »
in Catholicism, there are 7 holy sacraments. Baptism, First Communion, Reconciliation, Confirmation, Marriage, Ordination, and Last Rights. the church believes that these are moments when an individual makes a very direct and personal connection with God and it is not to be taken lightly. in the strictest observation of these sacraments, there should be absolutely no photography what so ever, but we live in modern times and whoever presides over the ceremony will determine what will be allowed and what will not.

having been an altar server, receiving 5 of the 7 sacraments myself, and being a wedding photographer as well, i am not one bit surprised about the Priests reaction nor do i disagree with it at all. Marriage is a religious ceremony first and foremost, it is a privilege to be present during it whether you be a guest or hired to photograph it. in the eyes of the church, the only necessities are God, the couple, their commitment to each other and to God, and the ordained officiant. that's it. 

now on the other hand, IF i were still a practicing Catholic, i might argue that i am practicing God's gift to me through my photography and that i am there to honor God, the couple, and the sacrament with my skills but in the end nothing trumps the sacraments.

regardless of all that, i still show the proper respect during religious ceremonies whether they be Catholic, Jewish, Hindu or whatever. that moment is not mine...it is God's and it doesn't matter if i prescribe to the doctrine or not.

+1 of course we are assuming the priest is Catholic. It may not be the case. Depending on their faith the priest may have done as he should. I can only fault him in that he didn't lean over and whisper it to the photographer. If you listen though it seems the photographer wanted to argue so it may have escalated anyway.

Still this situation was created by the photographers stupidity.

It was mentioned it was the couples day, which is true and they chose a priest who was tying them together before the eyes of God. If the couple didn't want God involved in the marriage why have a priest at all. A judge would have been fine and he could handle the divorce for them later.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2013, 10:40:14 PM »

sanj

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2013, 11:13:19 PM »
"This is about God."!!!!!!!! Oh lord!

It is not correct to comment on the situation without knowing complete facts but this being about God is so far fetched.

takesome1

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2013, 11:30:06 PM »
"This is about God."!!!!!!!! Oh lord!

It is not correct to comment on the situation without knowing complete facts but this being about God is so far fetched.

Maybe to you. I have known many Christian pastors that take the exchanging of the vows very seriously. The Bride and Groom are taking a Vow before God. Very serious and somber thing.

He wears a collar with a cross on the back and dresses like a priest?  I would assume he is either Catholic or some Christian denomination.

The photographer (or the Bride and Groom) chose to post this video on You Tube. So it is very correct to comment on it since they obviously are wanting to be noticed. It was placed in a public forum to be seen.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2013, 11:30:06 PM »