December 20, 2014, 01:58:16 PM

Author Topic: Photographing Niagara Falls...  (Read 1230 times)

Jemlnlx

• Power Shot G7X
  • Itchy shutter finger...
    • View Profile
Photographing Niagara Falls...
« on: September 30, 2013, 12:53:50 PM »
I visited Niagara Falls this past weekend. This was my first time shooting there. I briefly looked at some tips and chose to stay on the Canadian side. I had my 5D Mark III, 16-35mm II and 24-70 I. I also had polarizers and Hoya 9-stop ND filters. A tripod too. I got there about 6:30PM, check in and went to the falls. I did not realize how wet it is near the horseshoe falls. I ended up walking down to the near the American Falls and photographing both the American falls and the Horseshoe from there. The photos in the night were blah. Pitch black and they actually put the damn lights on at 8:30PM!!! By that time in later September, the sun has already set (7:00PMish) and its dark. Even with the falls lit my long shutters were boring. Way too bright against the night sky. I concluded that if they light the falls up at 8:30PM, you should visit around July, where the sun actually sets at that time and you can get some nice shots with orange/blue/purple sky. Also, even though I walked to the America falls, I got wet, so I suggest weather sealed bodies/lenses. The next day was a bit better. I waited for the sun to be high south and took some shots using my tripod and the ND filter. I were pretty happy with those. Also, I found that on a full frame, I had mt 24-70mm on the entire time. My 16-35mm was a bit too wide for what I was shooting. Let me know about any shooting experiences you've had at the falls and any recommendations. I will definitely be back next year for round two!!
5DIII, 24-70 f/2.8 I, 70-200 f/4 IS, 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro, 17-40 f/4, Sigma 50mm 1.4

canon rumors FORUM

Photographing Niagara Falls...
« on: September 30, 2013, 12:53:50 PM »

woollybear

Re: Photographing Niagara Falls...
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2013, 02:35:21 PM »
I live near the falls, been there many times.  Biggest problem I have these days is trying to shoot anything without getting picture full of various tablets being held up to take photos.  People don't think twice about stepping in front of you and holding up their tablet to get a better photo!!

canon rumors FORUM

Re: Photographing Niagara Falls...
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2013, 02:35:21 PM »