August 31, 2014, 02:51:29 AM

Author Topic: Nikon is working on an interchangeable sensor camera. Why not Canon?  (Read 6654 times)

tolusina

• 7D
    • View Profile
Re: Nikon is working on an interchangeable sensor camera. Why not Canon?
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2013, 09:05:18 AM »
Pentax LX, Nikon F3 and Canon F-1 all had replaceable backs. Options typically were dial data backs or large film magazines that held 250 exposure rolls.
They also had changeable finders and screens, a marvelous era for 35mm film cameras.

Anyway, in my daydreams, a digital back for that type camera would need sensor, processor, iso control, display for review and batteries.
The camera body would retain the shutter, metering functions, aperture controls.
I cannot imagine live view or video, that may be a limitation of my imagination.
Linking iso settings between the camera body and the digital back also eludes my imagination though manually synching the two could be pretty easy.
40 on 6

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2013, 09:05:18 AM »

photonius

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2013, 03:42:09 PM »
Pentax LX, Nikon F3 and Canon F-1 all had replaceable backs. Options typically were dial data backs or large film magazines that held 250 exposure rolls.
They also had changeable finders and screens, a marvelous era for 35mm film cameras.

Anyway, in my daydreams, a digital back for that type camera would need sensor, processor, iso control, display for review and batteries.
The camera body would retain the shutter, metering functions, aperture controls.
I cannot imagine live view or video, that may be a limitation of my imagination.
Linking iso settings between the camera body and the digital back also eludes my imagination though manually synching the two could be pretty easy.

the replaceable backs in film days did not change the film plane itself. It was only what went behind the film. But effectively, changing each role of film was of course an exchange of the sensor.  Of course nobody pixel peeped in those days.

Rienzphotoz

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2013, 06:50:16 AM »
I like the idea... interchangeable sensor means removable sensor. Now you can clean it in the dishwasher.  :)
They should have had it in the D600 ... it would have helped to wash off all the oily smudges from the sensor and would have saved them from having to produce D610 :P
Canon 5DMK3 70D | Nikon D610 | Sony a7 a6000 | RX100M3 | 16-35/2.8LII | 70-200/2.8LISII | 100/2.8LIS | 100-400LIS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 600EX-RTx2 | ST-E3-RT | 24/3.5 T-S | 10-18/4 OSS 16-50 | 24-70/4OSS | 55/1.8 | 55-210 OSS | 70-200/4 OSS | 28-300VR | HVL-F43M | GoPro Black 3+ & DJI Phantom

Sporgon

• 1D X
  • 5% of gear used 95% of the time
    • View Profile
    • www.buildingpanoramics.com
« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2013, 08:15:30 AM »
I would have beenvery annoyed if I had bought a D600, had a continual dirty sensor issue and then Nikon replaces it with an otherwise identical camera other than the shutter mechanism.

To answer the OP's question: Canon don't need this kind if gimmick to sell cameras.

dilbert

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2013, 08:55:25 AM »
Now, I found really strange that Canon, that's producing both Camera and Sensors is not working on something similar.
Canon is the market leader and could set a standard for all the companies, no?

As I have commented elsewhere, Canon has ceased to be a leader in digital photography. Canon is now a follower in digital photography.

How many of you actually open up your computer and do hardware replacement?

All the time.

btw, http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/RicohGXRa12

dilbert

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2013, 08:58:35 AM »
it requires to change the processor too because IMO sensor + processor = film replacement - but that doesn't drive the price too much.

Ugh, why's that? Surely a processor can be designed to work with different sensors?

Ok, imagine that the Canon 5D had a replaceable sensor.

Now put the 5D Mark III sensor in the 5D and keep the 5D processor. How many fps are you going to get?

But there is nothing to say that Canon couldn't supply a new DIGIC chip with the same piece of hardware that supplies the new sensor.

pedro

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2013, 09:09:09 AM »
Instead of this I rather see Canon investing in improved sensor tech to get us 12800k-ish (5D3 today) ISO 51k in the overnext 5D body (5DV sometime in 2018). Hope they get as close as possible.  8)
30D, EF-S 10-22/ 5DIII, 16-35 F/2.8 L USM II, 28 F/2.8, 50 F/1.4, 85 F/1.8, 70-200 F/2.8 classic,
join me at http://www.flickr.com/groups/insane_isos/

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2013, 09:09:09 AM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2013, 12:39:15 PM »
it requires to change the processor too because IMO sensor + processor = film replacement - but that doesn't drive the price too much.

Ugh, why's that? Surely a processor can be designed to work with different sensors?

Ok, imagine that the Canon 5D had a replaceable sensor.

Now put the 5D Mark III sensor in the 5D and keep the 5D processor. How many fps are you going to get?

But there is nothing to say that Canon couldn't supply a new DIGIC chip with the same piece of hardware that supplies the new sensor.
The digic chip in the camera works with several other microprocessors, and the sensor has a increased number of readout channels requiring more pins on it and on the motherboard. That's needed to get faster readout  Its not something easy to try to shoehorn updated technology into a old design.  Even the motherboard would not fit into a 5D.  And, who would want to spend $XXXXX upgrading a 5D I with custom motherboards and customized microprocessors when only a few hundred might sell?.  Its a losing situation.

Its like trying to put a modern computer controlled car engine that interfaces with several computers in order to work into a older car that either did not use computers at all, or had much simpler ones that had fewer wires and simple but incompatible functions.  It can be done, but the cost is more than a new car.

dickgrafixstop

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2013, 05:21:17 PM »
Probably because it wouldn't sell. 
Ricoh has had a wonderful camera on the market for the last several years where you buy the "body"
and a "lens/sensor" combination that is interchangeable.  Ever seen one?  That's why!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2013, 05:21:17 PM »