November 27, 2014, 03:57:05 AM

Author Topic: Prediction for next round of DSLR cameras  (Read 9016 times)

Ruined

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
Re: Prediction for next round of DSLR cameras
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2013, 02:27:06 AM »
I would absolutely love it if the new big MP model had a super dense 3.5" flip out screen. I specifically say flip out because I would probably take a lot of macro shots with it, and If it's flip out then everyone can just turn it around if they don't want to accidentally hit it, and it would keep heat generated by the screen away from the sensor.

I want flip out for macro shots and weird shots that are way off axis, especially high ones.

I want touch screen for pinch to zoom in order to zip around the image very fast to see if everything I wanted in focus looks good.  Also doesn't hurt to quickly get through previewing images.  Navigating menus is often intuitive also.

But, I think they should keep the physical buttons as well because the touchscreen is useless when the camera is against your face.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2013, 02:27:06 AM »

Ellen Schmidtee

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2013, 08:05:43 AM »
I have no issues with the 5Dmk2's 3.0" screen or the 5Dmk3's 3.2", don't really care for a slightly bigger screen.

I'd much rather have Wi-Fi, GPS, better sensor IQ, etc.

fragilesi

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2013, 08:12:36 AM »
Here is the punch list for upcoming DSLR's:
 - Awesome IQ/Low Noise in a crop = 7D Mark II
 - WIFI integration with every new prosumer model
 - New Sensors, not repurposed ones
 - EOS Cloud Storage up to X gig with Purchase (sync's card data to cloud when in range of hotspots) or LTE tether
 - 100pt Autofocus which fills the frame
 - Extra long life batteries
 - Builtin Receiver/Transmitter for Strobes and Off Camera Flash
 - OLED Top Menu

Amen!

And ten years to save up / sell the children to pay for it  ;D.

dryanparker

• Rebel T5i
  • Art photographer based in Miami.
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2013, 08:30:53 AM »
Put 35mm sensor in this chassis ::)

Am I asking too much?

+1!
5D3, 24-70L II, TS-E 24L II, Zeiss ZE 15 T* // X100S
www.dryanparker.com

dryanparker

• Rebel T5i
  • Art photographer based in Miami.
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2013, 08:38:18 AM »
I find the MF talk very exciting. But, I also think it's important that Canon find a way to bridge the gap price-wise. I'm not sure they'll pull people over from Phase One et al with an equally expensive offering. (Roughly $65k for an 80MP Phase One setup these days.)

Maybe if they take their existing FF technology and package it in something like the LEICA S system, there would be better market share opportunities. 50MP+ with great lenses, 1-series build quality and familiar handling. It would definitely be expensive, but it could fill a gap in price between current FF and MF offerings.
5D3, 24-70L II, TS-E 24L II, Zeiss ZE 15 T* // X100S
www.dryanparker.com

fegari

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
    • My 500px
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2013, 08:43:29 AM »
For those of us shooting Raw, how about adding the darn histogram based on the raw data and not the jpg!

luciolepri

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Lucio Lepri - Director and script writer
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2013, 09:02:54 AM »
My top 4,  on the fly:

- Higher DR
- Global shutter. It would be very good for video but also for stills, we could shoot at actually fast "shutter" speeds...
- Flip screen, dual pixel AF and built-in flash in high-end models
- More "ML style"video features (I know that's not popular here...)
- 5-axis sensor stabilization (no way, I know...)

As far as the LCD is concerned, size and resolution are not big issues to me, I'd like it to be more reliable and maybe work in the same color space of Premiere...

The touch screen, to me, would be useful only for the dual pixel AF, for any other thing I prefere the old good buttons.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 09:31:25 AM by luciolepri »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2013, 09:02:54 AM »

viggen61

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2013, 09:28:31 AM »
I tend to disagree. Touch will not work with gloves. Buttons do. Touch and rain is also a bad combination. And the most important argument is that buttons can be used without taking the eye from the viewfinder. Touch would almost be impossible here.
+1! Touch can be handy, but in many cases, the buttons just do it better. I'd cringe if I were forced to change ISO purely by touch screen. With my 7D, I can change ISO without taking my eye from the viewfinder. I only wish more of the top LCD button functions were like that (many don't give you feedback in the VF, only in the top LCD. ISO is an exception).

Reviewing images is far easier without having to swipe the screen. Again, on the 7D, the buttons are just about perfect. You hold the camera in both hands, your right thumb can hit the review button or cycle through the histograms, or choose the delete button, while your left thumb operates the zoom buttons, the main dial, and the joystick, and you have your right index finger for the 10 image jump with the front dial.

I've owned an iPhone for 5 years, and I'm getting the 5S soon. The touch screen is great - in a phone - but I don't think I want to have to do everything on my Canon via touch. Some things, perhaps, but certainly not all.
Canon 7D

jdramirez

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2013, 09:34:48 AM »
This has a about zero influence on why I buy a camera.
ditto.  I don't want it to be blurry,  but improving existing technology is a waste of time for me...  in  this regard only.   please feel fee to improve every other aspect of the camera.
Upgrade  path.->means the former was sold for the latter.

XS->60D->5d Mkiii:18-55->24-105L:75-300->55-250->70-300->70-200 f4L USM->70-200 f/2.8L USM->70-200 f/2.8L IS Mkii:50 f/1.8->50 f/1.4->100L-> 85mm f/1.8 USM-> 8mm -> 85mm f/1.2L mkii

SwampYankee

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2013, 10:04:12 AM »

Am I asking too much?
Can do as long as you call it  a Sony NEX-9 ;D
5DIII | 70-200 IS F4L | 24-105L |50 1.8 I |1002.8L | Tokina 16-28 2.8 |600EX

Dylan777

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2013, 11:47:56 PM »

Am I asking too much?
Can do as long as you call it  a Sony NEX-9 ;D

I doubt NEX-9 has retro/classic/vintage body style, which I'm craving for it. I'll look forward to see what Fuji has to offer in FF.
Bodies: 1DX -- 5D III
Zooms: 16-35L f4 IS -- 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Primes: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 200L f2 IS -- 400L f2.8 IS II

Lichtgestalt

« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2013, 07:13:03 AM »
but improving existing technology is a waste of time for me...  in  this regard only.   please feel fee to improve every other aspect of the camera.

have you used a touchscreen on your camera?

i heard exactly the same about LV when it came out.  :D
no offense, but in my experience some people have to USE a technology to fully understand it.. and it´s benefits.

« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 07:16:05 AM by Lichtgestalt »

Ruined

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2013, 08:43:22 AM »
I tend to disagree. Touch will not work with gloves. Buttons do. Touch and rain is also a bad combination. And the most important argument is that buttons can be used without taking the eye from the viewfinder. Touch would almost be impossible here.
+1! Touch can be handy, but in many cases, the buttons just do it better. I'd cringe if I were forced to change ISO purely by touch screen. With my 7D, I can change ISO without taking my eye from the viewfinder. I only wish more of the top LCD button functions were like that (many don't give you feedback in the VF, only in the top LCD. ISO is an exception).

Reviewing images is far easier without having to swipe the screen. Again, on the 7D, the buttons are just about perfect. You hold the camera in both hands, your right thumb can hit the review button or cycle through the histograms, or choose the delete button, while your left thumb operates the zoom buttons, the main dial, and the joystick, and you have your right index finger for the 10 image jump with the front dial.

I've owned an iPhone for 5 years, and I'm getting the 5S soon. The touch screen is great - in a phone - but I don't think I want to have to do everything on my Canon via touch. Some things, perhaps, but certainly not all.

Explain to me how - without a touchscreen - you would duplicate touch-to-focus in live view on your 7D, or when previewing images to see if various parts are in focus how you'd zip from one part of the image to another, zooming in and out as much as you want, panning as quickly as you want simply by pinch-to-zoom and swiping.

I think those who feel the only benefit of a touchscreen is an iphone-like menu haven't really tried it out on a Canon DSLR, because there is stuff that makes the workflow go a LOT faster with a touchscreen and there are things that you simply cannot do without a touchscreen such as touch to focus in Live View.  Again, touchscreens don't REPLACE physical buttons, but it adds intuitive controls and features you simply can't duplicate without a touchscreen.

Also, the flip out screen is nice because it allows you to take off axis images.  Sometimes you might want a shot where it would be impossible to see directly behind a camera.  Flip out screens allow you to take those pics without having to bust out a mirror or something cumbersome like that.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 08:45:49 AM by Ruined »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2013, 08:43:22 AM »

Don Haines

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2013, 11:12:33 AM »

Explain to me how - without a touchscreen - you would duplicate touch-to-focus in live view on your 7D, or when previewing images to see if various parts are in focus how you'd zip from one part of the image to another, zooming in and out as much as you want, panning as quickly as you want simply by pinch-to-zoom and swiping.

I think those who feel the only benefit of a touchscreen is an iphone-like menu haven't really tried it out on a Canon DSLR, because there is stuff that makes the workflow go a LOT faster with a touchscreen and there are things that you simply cannot do without a touchscreen such as touch to focus in Live View.  Again, touchscreens don't REPLACE physical buttons, but it adds intuitive controls and features you simply can't duplicate without a touchscreen.

Also, the flip out screen is nice because it allows you to take off axis images.  Sometimes you might want a shot where it would be impossible to see directly behind a camera.  Flip out screens allow you to take those pics without having to bust out a mirror or something cumbersome like that.

As to touchscreen... It is an ADDITION to methods to control your camera.... and it is small step from controlling with a touchscreen on the back of the camera to controlling with a tablet in your hands.... Tilt/swivel/walk away with :)

As to built in tilt/swivel.... very usefull when taking pictures at ground level and even more so when the tripod is in a beaver swamp and the camera is a few inches above the water... and you can face the LCD inwards to protect the screen...
The best camera is the one in your hands

Drizzt321

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Aaron Baff Photography
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2013, 12:16:59 PM »

Well, I hope you want to control your DSLR via touch! Buttons and joysticks need you to actually push them, which means you need to touch them :P

As long as, unlike on the EOS-M, they offer a way to completely turn off the touch screen (which it appears the 70D does), then I'm perfectly fine with them including it. It's probably the way things are heading anyway, so might as well get it out of the way.
5D mark 2, 5D mark 3, EF 17-40mm f/4L,  EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 85mm f/1.8
Film Cameras: Mamiya RB67, RB-50, RB-180-C, RB-90-C, RB-50, Perkeo I folder, Mamiya Six Folder (Pre-WWII model)
http://www.aaronbaff.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2013, 12:16:59 PM »