October 23, 2014, 04:00:34 PM

Author Topic: 6d WORSE than 60d for moire/aliasing?  (Read 7312 times)

LetTheRightLensIn

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: 6d WORSE than 60d for moire/aliasing?
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2013, 12:15:04 AM »
For every fanboy there appear to be ten times as many haters, most of those have not used the camera or in the case of 5D mkiii owners people who are a little pissed that a camera that cost a lot less than theirs, can in many instances take pictures that are as good if not better than theirs!!

Or maybe 6D owners wishing they could've gotten the 5D3??

5D3, especially with ML RAW, simply devastates the 6D for video quality. The fps is way better, UI better, shutter reaction better, stills buffer better and it clears much faster, etc. The 6D does have a bit better DR and behavior at ISO100 and is also slightly better at high iso stills too, it does have a modestly better stills sensor.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2013, 12:15:04 AM »

Janbo Makimbo

• EOS M2
  • 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2013, 01:31:45 AM »
For every fanboy there appear to be ten times as many haters, most of those have not used the camera or in the case of 5D mkiii owners people who are a little pissed that a camera that cost a lot less than theirs, can in many instances take pictures that are as good if not better than theirs!!

Or maybe 6D owners wishing they could've gotten the 5D3??

5D3, especially with ML RAW, simply devastates the 6D for video quality. The fps is way better, UI better, shutter reaction better, stills buffer better and it clears much faster, etc. The 6D does have a bit better DR and behavior at ISO100 and is also slightly better at high iso stills too, it does have a modestly better stills sensor.
Correct it is a better VIDEO camera, but I take stiills and you can't say that it takes better still pics.... you wouldn't be JUST another pov 5D III that couldn't afford a 1DX are you ????

caruser

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2013, 04:00:09 AM »
The 5D3 has little moire because of its strong AA filter. If the 6D has more moire because of not using all the pixels for video then it's just cheap. If its because of a weaker AA filter then hooray, I'd greatly prefer my cameras completely without an AA filter!

captainkanji

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2013, 04:40:53 AM »
People use these things for video? ;)  I'm a big fan of my 6D.  I have to be, I couldn't afford a 5D3 ;D
Canon 6D, Meike battery grip, Black Rapid Strap
EF 40mm f/2.8, EF 50mm f/1.4, EF 135mm f/2L USM, EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM, 430EX II Speedlite
HDR photos look best when I can't see them.

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2013, 04:42:40 AM »
The 5D3 has little moire because of its strong AA filter.

Nope, the reason is that 22mp -> video res works way better as downsampling the 20mp of the 6d's alleged "new and enhanced" sensor, at least with the algorithm Canon uses. The aa filter also has a part, but much more minor than this and it also affects stills shooting - that's why Nikon has two versions of the d800.

Fyi all: I just read about a fix to remove aliasing from the 6d (I didn't try it myself though yet): use Magic Lantern and shoot 720p raw at 5x zoom ... it's a tight crop, but it's supposed to solve the problem for good. Read more on the Magic Lantern forums: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/

luciolepri

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Lucio Lepri - Director and script writer
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2013, 07:07:34 AM »
Fyi all: I just read about a fix to remove aliasing from the 6d (I didn't try it myself though yet): use Magic Lantern and shoot 720p raw at 5x zoom ... it's a tight crop, but it's supposed to solve the problem for good. Read more on the Magic Lantern forums: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/

Yes, you record 1:1 from the sensor, so no line-skipping and so no aliasing issues, but...
1- With such a high crop, you convert a wide angle lens into a tele. This could be good to reduce your equipment, but it also means that you can forget about wide angle shots.
2- You see 5x, but you record 3x, so framing correctly is very tricky.
3- Definition it's obviously lower, it's like watching at a 100% crop of an image.
So, I wouldn't call it a "fix".

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2013, 07:07:34 AM »