October 21, 2014, 08:34:14 PM

Author Topic: First landscape submitted for critique  (Read 4686 times)

mackguyver

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Work
Re: First landscape submitted for critique
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2013, 10:35:10 AM »
The B&W conversion looks great!  The only advice I can offer would be to try to open the shadows up a bit on the evergreens.  Some of them look a little bit crushed, but that might be an unfortunate side effect of having to balance the exposure for the bright sky.  And all the more reason for the B&W conversion. 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2013, 10:35:10 AM »

chauncey

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2013, 10:59:10 AM »
But you can only capture what is in front of you at the time
True...you can only capture what is in front of you, but...with superior PP you can "create" much more.

Kernuak

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Avalon Light Photoart
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2013, 12:19:45 PM »
You have lots of detail in the image, showing some nice textures in the rocks and trees, but it looks like you may have had some water on the lens, as there is a faint flare above the crag just to the right of centre. For me though, it lacks a focal point of interest, mainly because of the light.

Thanks for the feedback.  I did notice the flare and fixed it with the healing brush in Lightroom.  Here is the B&W for a comparison.
I think it looks better in black and white.
Canon 5D MkIII, 7D, 300mm L IS f/2.8 and a few other L's

jrda2

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2013, 12:25:06 PM »
B&W conversion was done with Silver Efex Pro

Nazareth

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2013, 12:38:37 PM »
only suggestion is either go 50/50 for symetry, or perhaps include soem foreground in the shot- The 24mm lens is fairly wide, and including somethign in foreground like an interestly textured rock, or fallen gnarly tree or even a small puddle or something woudl help provide a 'stepping stone' into the photo (and give the eye soemthign to compare to the 'grand scene', adding a little visual interest, and being related to the scene somehow ie: let's say for example that the mountain was a semi active volcano, and htere was a steam vent in foreground with lava rocks nearby- these foreground elements would 'tell the story' of 'volcano' and lead the eye into the scene in anticipation of seeign hte actual volcano in the distance- just a for instance- where this is just a mountain and lake, maybe include something 'lakey' or 'mountany' in the foreground, like perhaps a stream flowing out of hte scene leadign hte eye up to the water and eventually to the mountain

However, if you're goign for an 'abstract' 50/50 look, mirror look- then yeah, none of hte foregroudn stuff applies- If so, not sure your feeligns on post processing, buit a little dodge and burning on a black and white, vignet, would help direct view inwards towards middle- but don't overdo it- be subtle- a little goes a logn ways

duydaniel

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2013, 12:57:29 PM »
I feel dizzy looking at the water though
Can you wait for when it was absolute still or something?

fugu82

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2013, 01:37:38 PM »
Really nice shot, especially after the B/W conversion.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2013, 01:37:38 PM »

Rat

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2013, 02:57:03 PM »
Very nice picture, the many verticals make you look twice and again. I think the colors in the original shot are as close to b/w as you need to be, and personally I think the b/w version is a lot less interesting. Do agree with the symmetry thing, horizon should've been higher in the shot.
Fed up with brandism.

jrda2

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2013, 03:25:08 PM »
I initially cropped some of the bottom of the picture to bring the shorline closer to the bottom 1/3 line.  Do you like this version better with more reflection shown? 

I feel dizzy looking at the water though
Can you wait for when it was absolute still or something?

Unfortuanately not possible - wind was blowing, and this was the best it got.

jrda2

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2013, 03:40:35 PM »
and the B&W.....

Sporgon

• 1D X
  • 5% of gear used 95% of the time
    • View Profile
    • www.buildingpanoramics.com
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2013, 05:37:32 PM »
I find the composition quite challenging of both versions; my eye doesn't move around the picture in a controlled way but darts about. Not helped by the busy reflections.

I think if it were mine I would loose some of the left hand side of the picture and crop in a little, more or less as below.

Pity about the light in such a beautiful place but that's life.

Nazareth

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2013, 06:09:45 PM »
I agree abotu hte eye dartign about too much- The crop you did is more relfective of a 50/50 mirror split- and so does help some- but again, a bit of vignetting might help if you're not averse to some pp 'help' - there's just so much crisp detail that it's a bit too busy I think- or soem very selective dodge and burn could hep direct eye about a little better instead of wantign to dart about- other than that- I liek hte crop version a bit better-

Firebird

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2013, 07:40:26 PM »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2013, 07:40:26 PM »