July 30, 2014, 05:22:38 AM

Author Topic: Comet ISON = ISOFF?  (Read 5624 times)

ams2d

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
Comet ISON = ISOFF?
« on: October 04, 2013, 03:05:25 PM »
Based on the research looks like the comet won't be the "light in the sky" everyone was hoping it was going to be

http://astronomia.udea.edu.co/cometspage/

Understand this may look like an off-site topic but there have been discussions about the comet on this site previously so just passing along the apparent bad news.

Hope they get it wrong and I'll be spending some cold nights out in the middle of nowhere.

Attempting to bring this topic back to the forum.  If there are people here who do astrophotography would like reading what equipment is being used.
I am the best photographer in the world using the camera I own. To keep it that way no one else can ever use my camera.

canon rumors FORUM

Comet ISON = ISOFF?
« on: October 04, 2013, 03:05:25 PM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: Comet ISON = ISOFF?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2013, 04:26:43 PM »
It is still unknown as to what we may see, if the comet breaks up as some predict, then the timing of the breakup will determine if we see something spectacular, or if we will miss it.

http://www.skyandtelescope.com/observing/highlights/193909261.html

East Wind Photography

• 5D Mark III
  • EWP
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2013, 05:08:29 PM »
The issue with their study is that it's based on comets that have visited the sun before.  iSON is believed to be one that is not in an orbit...yet.  The going theory is that new comets out gas more at a farther distance and comets that have been here before have already been boiled by the sun.  No one has studied a comet to this degree before and certainly not one that is a new visitor.

Regardless of wether the comet is spectacular or not as it comes around the sun, I'm hoping for a really good meteor storm in mid January as the earth passes near the edge of its dust tail.

Mt Spokane Photography

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2013, 10:34:39 PM »

dhr90

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2013, 01:06:04 PM »
I've got my fingers crossed for the comet surviving, and the British weather allowing me to actually see it. Would like to attempt to capture it given it should be reasonably predictable where and when it will be in the sky (correct me if I'm wrong), compared to shooting stars anyway.
Canon 7D, 24-105L, 70-200 f2.8 IS II, Tokina AT-X124 12-24 f4 AF PRO DX II

randym77

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2013, 04:18:53 PM »
Ison brightened suddenly last night.  This might bode well for a great show later this year, or it could mean the comet is breaking up.

Get out and photograph it now!

Unfortunately, the weather is not cooperating for me.  :(

East Wind Photography

• 5D Mark III
  • EWP
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2013, 04:38:43 PM »
There is also another comet I the morning sky called lovejoy.  It's a little brighter right now than iSON.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2013, 04:38:43 PM »

randym77

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2013, 04:43:56 PM »
There is also another comet I the morning sky called lovejoy.  It's a little brighter right now than iSON.

Not any more!  ISON has gotten 16 times brighter over the last three days.

Mt Spokane Photography

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2013, 06:24:00 PM »

Not any more!  ISON has gotten 16 times brighter over the last three days.
Yup, the statistics mean nothing.  No one knows what we will see in the next week, but its easily visible now if you have good viewing conditions.

Where are the photos?  I have Mount Spokane blocking my view to the South Southeast.

East Wind Photography

• 5D Mark III
  • EWP
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2013, 11:01:16 PM »
I think the hardest part for me is getting up that early in the morning....

randym77

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2013, 08:55:02 AM »
I am usually up before dawn, now that daylight savings time is gone.  I've gone out and looked the past couple of days, but it's been so cloudy I couldn't see anything.  And it looks like it's only going to get worse over the weekend.

As for equipment...I read on the web somewhere that you should use 2000mm or less.  1000mm or less if you want to get the whole tail.  (Aimed at people who hook their cameras to telescopes, I presume.)  So I was going to try my 600mm (got some nice pics of the moon with it during the recent eclipse). 

But now that the comet's gotten so much brighter, I would think a wide angle would be better.  Get some scenery in, too.  With PANSTARRS, a lot of people got nice photos of the comet without even realizing it.  The comet ended up much brighter in the photos than to the naked eye, because of the long exposure. 

bdunbar79

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2013, 11:50:23 AM »
I think the hardest part for me is getting up that early in the morning....

That's easy.  Just sit up all night drinkin' Natty Lite and never go to bed.
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

emag

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2013, 12:23:22 PM »
Where are the photos?  I have Mount Spokane blocking my view to the South Southeast.

When I read that, all I could think of was you blocking somebody's view.... :D

I have a light dome to the east, a little bit less if I plunk myself down by the Gulf.  All my good eastern sky spots mean heading out early, set up and knock off a few shots then pack it up and head for work.  We'll probably have a break in the weather here soon, but moonlight will be interfering for the next two weeks, my standard luck.....

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2013, 12:23:22 PM »

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2013, 12:42:27 PM »

When I read that, all I could think of was you blocking somebody's view.... :D

I have a light dome to the east, a little bit less if I plunk myself down by the Gulf.  All my good eastern sky spots mean heading out early, set up and knock off a few shots then pack it up and head for work.  We'll probably have a break in the weather here soon, but moonlight will be interfering for the next two weeks, my standard luck.....
Same  ;D

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2013, 12:47:27 PM »
The problem is that when (now) its magnitude will increase, the time before sunrise when ISON rises gets less and less (there is a specific Astronomy issue dedicated to ISON that mentions details but I guess these can be easily found). So twilight will cause problems in locating and viewing it.

After perihelion its magnitude will decrease at high rate.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2013, 12:47:27 PM »