April 16, 2014, 08:15:30 AM

Author Topic: No 5D Mark III on Novemeber 3 [CR2]  (Read 30896 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
No 5D Mark III on Novemeber 3 [CR2]
« on: September 26, 2011, 06:44:44 AM »
Oh no! I can hear the collective tears hitting the floor.

The recent rebates on the 5D Mark II have nothing to do with an imminent release of an updated camera. They have more to do with selling lots of 5D Mark IIs. I’d expect rebates to be extended right through to Christmas (Dec 25).

What is coming? Two new video cameras are coming to us on November 3, 2011.

What I think I know about them One will be EF mount, the other will be PL mount. They will be both be higher end cameras, and could reach the price point of $10000+. It has also been suggested that the EF mount camera could fall under the “EOS” banner.

Other crazy things I’ve heard about them?

One of them would have a square sensor and take 48mp still images. I’ll [CR1] that one.

Noooooo, What about the 5D Mark III? There is absolutely nothing, I mean nothing about a 5D Mark III being imminent. I have received the “no new DSLR in 2011″ line from 7-8 different sources. One source said if something is announced in 2011, it would be near the end of December for CES/PMA, but that was merely conjecture.

So no 1Ds4, 5D Mark III or the rumoured 6D (name guess) in 2011.

A curveball could still come, announcements for products can change. Just because they announce, it doesn’t mean they have to ship anything.

cr

« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 06:48:32 AM by Canon Rumors »
canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

No 5D Mark III on Novemeber 3 [CR2]
« on: September 26, 2011, 06:44:44 AM »

HTCahHTC

Re: No 5D Mark III on Novemeber 3 [CR2]
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011, 06:57:49 AM »
I died inside when I saw the thread title. Really.

leGreve

• Rebel T5i
  • Full time photographer and film maker omnifilm.dk
    • View Profile
    • leGreve Photography
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2011, 07:03:09 AM »
How many of you have been like this since the start of the year:

"Should I buy mk II or wait for the mk III?"

Well... buy the god damn camera if you need it :)

And with a price tag of 10000 dollars or more for that video cam, it better be shooting native 4:2:2 with 4:4:4 through hdmi and an amazing noise handling, otherwise I sense that Sony will be rubbing their hands :)

Did I mention how great a video cam the FS100 is... well, it is really great, and with an adapter it too will work with EF lenses.

Have fun waiting.
5D III -  Zeiss Otus 55mm 1.4 ~ 24-70 2.8L II ~ 70-200 2.8L II IS USM ~ 100 2.8L IS USM Macro ~ 16-35 2.8L II ~ Canon Extender 2x III

alipaulphotography

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 07:15:58 AM »
 :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

That is about all I can say.

Got to plan a new Christmas present to myself now...

Bother.

Bob Howland

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2011, 07:27:24 AM »
Questions:

1. Any word about video-oriented EF lenses also being introduced?

2. How about the EF mount actually being a video-oriented derivative of that mount, which might also appear on new DSLRs?

The blog writeup on LensRentals about the problems with using still lenses for video made a big impression on me.

koolman

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Pictures Of Jerusalem
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2011, 07:34:48 AM »
My 2 cents. This is based on intuition only - I have no "inside info".

Canon is working on a real improvement in digital sensors/processors - something that will increase DR and enhance IQ in a substantial way. The new bodies will replace older bodies - as digital "rot" of older bodies is devastating. (The "must have" bodies from 2003-2005 that where priced > $3,500 have ZERO value today)

Once such a product is released - all existing products will suffer major drop in value. This is a new tech and Canon needs to get it right.

Hence, we are left "waiting" for this new tech to be ready for production - and meanwhile we are told that "nothing new in the immediate horizon" as not to torpedo existing canon sales.

Jerusalem Photographer (canon t2i, 50 1.4, Tamron 17-50 non VC, canon 60mm, canon 35mm L,Samyang 14mm MF,Voigtlander 20mm MF)

Nathan

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2011, 07:53:29 AM »
One of them would have a square sensor and take 48mp still images. I’ll [CR1] that one

This one seems totally contradictory & impossible.

Since HD is approx 2Mp, how a VIDEO based camera, would have a 48mp sensor for still, and would have good low light and good processing in video with this huge amount of pixels ?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2011, 07:53:29 AM »

photophreek

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2011, 08:14:10 AM »
I'd like to believe that Canon is delaying release because of some amazing technology, but I'm having some doubts.  I think after the Japanese earthquake and CNN deciding that the quake wasn't "Issue #1", North Americans placed the devastation in the back of their collective minds.  The quake has probably unleased more production problems for Canon, Nikon, Epson and all of them then we realize.  It's not that simple to relocate manufacturing plants to other countries in a few months to produce highly technical products with local manpower. 

I'm really not surprised at this news and I think people should brace themselves for possibly a mid to Q4 2012 5D III announcement with availability in late 2012/early 2013.  The 5D III will certainly be after the 1Ds Mk IV.  The IDs III has DIGIC III and needs immediate attention by Canon.  Canon needs their pro shooters to sell all those "big whites" they just released.  In addition, don't think that Nikon will jump the gun on releasing any of their bodies.  They're probably experiencing the same problems.  For what it's worth - my 2 cents.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 08:18:59 AM by photophreek »

Mark D5 TEAM II

• 1D X
  • Proud N0ink 0wnz0r / crApple iFruitcake H4t3r
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2011, 08:21:40 AM »
No 5D Mark III on Novemeber 3

Big typo.

Anyway, I think the fantabulous Nikon J1 & V1 forced Canon to go back to the drawing board. How to add more body colors and how to sustain 60fps for 0.5sec. is at the top of the agenda.  ::)
Nikon NSF16 5-Leaf Dual-Blade Industrial Fan ¦ Nikon NTMFI-H1 Dry Heavy Flat Iron ¦ Nikon Tough Mama NTMRC1-2S Rice Cooker “Limited Edition” ¦ Nikon Tough Mama NTMJK18-S Stainless Electric Kettle Plate Type ¦ Nikon NHT 2-in-1 Curling Iron & Straightener in One ¦ Nikon N4004s Decision Master System™

Mark D5 TEAM II

• 1D X
  • Proud N0ink 0wnz0r / crApple iFruitcake H4t3r
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2011, 08:29:05 AM »
No marketing department in their right mind would leak that info anyway since they're still trying to sell off all the existing 5D2 stock, otherwise nobody would buy the "old model" and just wait for the availability of the new one. Rebates are one way to move all that stock.
Nikon NSF16 5-Leaf Dual-Blade Industrial Fan ¦ Nikon NTMFI-H1 Dry Heavy Flat Iron ¦ Nikon Tough Mama NTMRC1-2S Rice Cooker “Limited Edition” ¦ Nikon Tough Mama NTMJK18-S Stainless Electric Kettle Plate Type ¦ Nikon NHT 2-in-1 Curling Iron & Straightener in One ¦ Nikon N4004s Decision Master System™

dstppy

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2011, 08:30:28 AM »
You know what, this is fine; really it is.  Think about it, several VERY intelligent (not me hehe) people have noted on some of the 'where is it?' threads why it doesn't make sense to rush something out, or why something else would be more appropriate to be released . . . that, and, well it's not personal guys.

So why is it fine? Well, since it pretty much makes sense, it's a lot better than getting all of these bored sociopaths that post their wishlists and e-mail them as rumors.  That sort of thing is getting ALL of us antsy.  (Maybe they've gone back to making up rumors about Apple's next product and are leaving us be for some time).

We're still in a really uncertain place worldwide financially -- companies have to make all the right moves (most of us have a vested interest in Canon continuing to do DSLR business, no?)
Keep in mind, that the hold up on this body could simply be quality adjustments -- yes, everyone wants X or more Y or something else, but if the camera is almost the same thing but just takes much better pictures . . . that's a huge improvement.

Just my opinion, worth the price paid :)

<p>So no 1Ds4, 5D Mark III or the rumoured 6D (name guess) in 2011.</p>
;D EEK, your 'Canadian' seems to be sticking out! :)
Canon Rumors is presently creating photographer shortages in Middle Earth (all the trolls emigrated here)

kubelik

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • a teatray in the sky
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2011, 08:51:29 AM »
frankly, I don't classify the 5DIII as "delayed", since Canon has never promised a timeline that they were supposed to meet with the production and delivery.

I've brought up a few times the fact that I believe that as the technology matures, the refresh-and-release cycle of cameras will slow down.  the same has happened for other tech-industries.  look at gaming, where the Xbox 360 and PS3 are over two years overdue for an update, if you were to follow their original release cycle.  their technology at this point is even vastly inferior to what you can build into a PC gaming rig at this point.  the simple fact of the matter is, however, that these venerable old systems are very good systems still, and for many consumers, they are also good enough.

I believe canon has plenty of room to grow with its top-of-the-line DSLRs but they can afford to take their time doing it.  and please, the "Nikon-is-going-to-dominate-Canon-with-a-D4" line doesn't work until Nikon actually brings out a D4 ... to my knowledge, it looks like Nikon is also taking their sweet time because again, the market can afford to wait.

rocketdesigner

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2011, 09:37:09 AM »
:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

That is about all I can say.

Got to plan a new Christmas present to myself now...

Bother.

All I want for xmas is for Canon to service their existing bonehead mistakes and release a firmware update to fix the stupid AGC on my t2i.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2011, 09:37:09 AM »

armando

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2011, 09:55:19 AM »
digital rev had the same feeling.

This is why the 5d MKIII is going to be something of an upgrade that we are going to have to just wait out, it has to fill some big shoes of it's predecessor and what we expect, kinda reminds me of how blizzard takes the longest time to make it's games Starcraft / Diablo.

The 5d MKII is a crazy great camera; think the biggest upgrade for me to have is (skipping MP's to be honest)

1.) EVF viewfinder
2.) Bigger flip any direction HD screen
- extra -
XLR input with phantom power & an audio-output to monitor audio while recording (built in)
3.) Slow-Mo Video setting + more Cinema style settings 
4.) Canon Professional Video editing software be nice too bundled in.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 09:57:20 AM by armando »

Harley

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2011, 09:58:45 AM »
Feeling pretty good about that 7D purchase this summer...
EOS 7D, EF 17-40mm f/4 L, Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 DG EX, FD TS 35mm f/2.8, FL 55mm f/1.2, FD 300mm f/2.8 L

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2011, 09:58:45 AM »