September 17, 2014, 11:51:47 PM

Author Topic: No 5D Mark III on Novemeber 3 [CR2]  (Read 33247 times)

ecka

• 5D Mark III
  • Size matters ;)
    • View Profile
    • flickr
Re: No 5D Mark III on Novemeber 3 [CR2]
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2011, 02:38:00 PM »
"No 5D Mark III on Novemeber 3"?
What did you expect? Canon has never announced a DSLR in November (December too). Why it should be different this year? :)
October is their last chance in 2011.
FF + primes !

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2011, 02:38:00 PM »

sailingmunch

« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2011, 02:46:46 PM »
^ an evf will ruin the 5d line evf flickr and are unprofessional I prefer optical viewfinders but thats just me.

ecka

• 5D Mark III
  • Size matters ;)
    • View Profile
    • flickr
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2011, 02:52:11 PM »
^ an evf will ruin the 5d line evf flickr and are unprofessional I prefer optical viewfinders but thats just me.
and you are not alone ;)
FF + primes !

thepancakeman

• 6D
  • If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2011, 02:56:12 PM »
Is the Date just a coincidence?

3rd of November ... MK III

3rd Anniversary to the day of the release of the video "Reverie" filmed with the 5D MK II?

Any Numerologists??

(Credit to Vincent Laforet's Blog)

http://blog.vincentlaforet.com/2011/09/22/will-the-number-3-be-a-significant-number/

Not only that, but it will be 33 megapixel, improve ISO performance by 3 stops, and sell for $3k!   ;)

gene_can_sing

« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2011, 03:47:56 PM »
and you are not alone ;)

Things heard in the past
1) Film is better, digital is unprofessional
2) Auto focus is unprofessional. Manual focus in what the Pros do.
3) Electronic aperture is for amateurs. I need the aperture ring.

Now, most people now will not go back to film, want their 90 point autofocus and all the exposure features that electronic aperture offer. And SOON, people will think the same thing about EVFs. They will say, how did I ever live without it? Why? Because EVFs allows a much broader range of useable lenses, much better judging of exposure and from what I understand (I might be wrong) a faster burst speed (like the new Sonys) which is only possible without the mirror.

Ironically, I shoot video so I don't use auto focus, I would prefer a manual aperture ring for more universal adaption. But I want an EVF because of benefits mentioned above, especially quicker snap judgement of exposure without relying so much on the meter when doing things Manual, which is what I almost always do.

Just like all other aspects of a modern camera, electronics will over take the OVF and in hindsight, people will embrace it and learn to like it.

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2011, 04:21:05 PM »

Things heard in the past

Now, most people now will not go back to film, want their 90 point autofocus and all the exposure features that electronic aperture offer. And SOON, people will think the same thing about EVFs. They will say, how did I ever live without it? Why? Because EVFs allows a much broader range of useable lenses, much better judging of exposure and from what I understand (I might be wrong) a faster burst speed (like the new Sonys) which is only possible without the mirror.

Ironically, I shoot video so I don't use auto focus, I would prefer a manual aperture ring for more universal adaption. But I want an EVF because of benefits mentioned above, especially quicker snap judgement of exposure without relying so much on the meter when doing things Manual, which is what I almost always do.

Just like all other aspects of a modern camera, electronics will over take the OVF and in hindsight, people will embrace it and learn to like it.

Yes, I can remember all of that over the years.  Light meters, no photocell, press 25 flash bulbs, ASA 10 slide film, we've come alonng way.  I also remember the mirrorless Canon Pellix QL which a friend of mine bought.  It was never popular, because light loss was so critical in the days of slow film speeds, and manually focusing thru a darkened screen was only possible in good light.

Now, technology is capable of dealing with those shortcomings and the advantages are tipping the scale towards mirrorless for a large number of photographers.  Just as some will always prefer tube stereos, some will prefer thru the lens, manual focus, etc.  More power to them, but I expect them to become the exception as time goes on.

ecka

• 5D Mark III
  • Size matters ;)
    • View Profile
    • flickr
« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2011, 04:34:58 PM »
and you are not alone ;)

Things heard in the past

However, today's EVF technology is not at the level when it is actually better than the OVF (yet). But I'm sure it will evolve and replace the pentaprism in the future. The problem is that nobody knows when that future is coming till it's already here. ;) Finally, 5D won't become a camcorder no matter what your dreams are, it's a DSLR. Just wait for Canon to release a FF something which will be THE camera for videos.
FF + primes !

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2011, 04:34:58 PM »

gene_can_sing

« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2011, 05:14:19 PM »
and you are not alone ;)

Things heard in the past

However, today's EVF technology is not at the level when it is actually better than the OVF (yet). But I'm sure it will evolve and replace the pentaprism in the future. The problem is that nobody knows when that future is coming till it's already here. ;) Finally, 5D won't become a camcorder no matter what your dreams are, it's a DSLR. Just wait for Canon to release a FF something which will be THE camera for videos.

You know what's strange is that after shooting video with the Canon DSLRs, I now way prefer the DSLR form factor for shooting video. I've owned video cameras, a 16mm Eclair ACL and a Beaulieu super 8mm and the DSLR is so small and easy to shoot with, form factor wise, especially for hand held type stuff where often now, I just pull out the slack in the neck strap and it because a super stable rig of sorts, and you can do it quickly if you're shooting b-roll without setting up a rig. You just have so many options with DSLRs in terms of how to outfit it.

It's nice because you can add rigs and what not to make the DSLR as big and gadgety as you want, but it can be stripped all the way down to a simple, small camera; and that is something you just can't do with the larger video cameras.

The only reason why video people love the 5D is because it's the only Full Frame video camera so it has that special look that you can't get with other cameras.

Mostly, I just want the thing to come out. Tired of waiting like everyone else.

AG

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 26, 2011, 08:36:05 PM »
and you are not alone ;)

Things heard in the past

You know what's strange is that after shooting video with the Canon DSLRs, I now way prefer the DSLR form factor for shooting video. I've owned video cameras, a 16mm Eclair ACL and a Beaulieu super 8mm and the DSLR is so small and easy to shoot with, form factor wise, especially for hand held type stuff where often now, I just pull out the slack in the neck strap and it because a super stable rig of sorts, and you can do it quickly if you're shooting b-roll without setting up a rig. You just have so many options with DSLRs in terms of how to outfit it.

It's nice because you can add rigs and what not to make the DSLR as big and gadgety as you want, but it can be stripped all the way down to a simple, small camera; and that is something you just can't do with the larger video cameras.

The only reason why video people love the 5D is because it's the only Full Frame video camera so it has that special look that you can't get with other cameras.

Mostly, I just want the thing to come out. Tired of waiting like everyone else.

Agreed :)
Yes, i shoot video on a DSLR.

PXL_Pusher

« Reply #39 on: September 26, 2011, 10:31:38 PM »
<sarcasm>

Well... Looks like everyone will just have to settle and deal with that piece of junk mkII...  ::)

< / sarcasm>

C'mon folks.... who are you kidding? (directed at anyone that feels that this delay is apocalypse as we know it)
I mean, I want the 5DmkIII released just as bad as the next guy... considering that my jump to FF has been directly linked to this release. But even I can't complain. I have an amazingly adequate 7D + glass that let's me do anything from helping me create the professional work that pays my bills, to letting me get completely creative in trying to express and capture what it is my brain is processing.

I understand that the current mkII could be improved on in a number aspects, but I don't believe that the camera is holding anyone back from being able to work or play at full potential. Need faster AF? rent/acquire a 7D. Need more FPS, MP annnd need to stay Full Frame?  Rent/use/borrow/purchase a 1D. Besides, if a job demands that much performance from equipment - the pay should more than cover the small investment on equipment AND your upgrade once the DSLR's are announced.

I'm done venting. It's just I feel that sometimes people lose track of the fact that a camera is a tool. Like a pencil, photoshop, phillips head screw drivers.. etc. A tool helps us carry out a task... but it is impossible for the task to be carried out without the tool being in skilled hands. In other words, I can't wait for that release, but until then... I will be just fine with what I got.  :D

JonJT

« Reply #40 on: September 26, 2011, 11:38:29 PM »
<sarcasm>

Well... Looks like everyone will just have to settle and deal with that piece of junk mkII...  ::)

< / sarcasm>

C'mon folks.... who are you kidding? (directed at anyone that feels that this delay is apocalypse as we know it)
I mean, I want the 5DmkIII released just as bad as the next guy... considering that my jump to FF has been directly linked to this release. But even I can't complain. I have an amazingly adequate 7D + glass that let's me do anything from helping me create the professional work that pays my bills, to letting me get completely creative in trying to express and capture what it is my brain is processing.

I understand that the current mkII could be improved on in a number aspects, but I don't believe that the camera is holding anyone back from being able to work or play at full potential. Need faster AF? rent/acquire a 7D. Need more FPS, MP annnd need to stay Full Frame?  Rent/use/borrow/purchase a 1D. Besides, if a job demands that much performance from equipment - the pay should more than cover the small investment on equipment AND your upgrade once the DSLR's are announced.

I'm done venting. It's just I feel that sometimes people lose track of the fact that a camera is a tool. Like a pencil, photoshop, phillips head screw drivers.. etc. A tool helps us carry out a task... but it is impossible for the task to be carried out without the tool being in skilled hands. In other words, I can't wait for that release, but until then... I will be just fine with what I got.  :D

It isn't a tool for all of us.  To use an apt analogy, an SLR could be the weekend race car to some of us.  We dont need it's utility, we have it because we want it, even if none of us will ever drive it like Schumacher, Stewart or Andretti.  Indeed, I think shooting is more fun than speculating about future releases but, like many other toys (or tools, depending on who you talk to), we sometimes just want a new one.

UncleFester

« Reply #41 on: September 26, 2011, 11:40:24 PM »
and you are not alone ;)

Things heard in the past

Agreed. I don't see DSLR viewfinders getting as bright as film any time soon.

macfly

« Reply #42 on: September 27, 2011, 12:27:21 AM »
I guess I'll suprise everyone by saying I think the live screen combined with auto focus is absolutely my favorite thing in photography. Sure for work I have to use the viewfinder, because the H2 & EOS 1Ds are made that way, but to me live screen autofocus is the biggest revolution in image making to come out of digital. It why I love digi-snap cameas, and can't wait for the NEX-7.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: September 27, 2011, 12:27:21 AM »

Flake

« Reply #43 on: September 27, 2011, 03:30:25 AM »
I predict a lot of bankrupt camera stores.  Digital imaging brought a huge windfall to camera makers & stores, the fact that the technology was in its infancy meant that new models were released yearly and there was a huge image quality gain by buying the latest model, however as the technology has matured the gains have become smaller & smaller, until now there's the posibility that manufacturers blinded by the megapixel war produce a camera which is actually worse than its predecessor, this actually happened in the Canon G10.

I do wonder if a Canon 5D MkIII will produce such noticeable image quality improvements that it'll be a 'must have' purchase.  Product features are of course another area where manufacturers can improve, and the 5D MkII badly needs these, particularly autofocus, there's a reason to buy even if image quality doesn't improve.

But the big two manufacturers have not released a new camera for quite some time, Nikons 'compact' J1/V1 has not been well received and there's not likely to be queues at the counter for product, so camera shops are just ticking over, I've noticed fewer staff, and often fewer customers than the staff!  It makes me wonder how long they can afford to keep the doors open when the customers are all keeping their cash saved up in anticipation of a new model.

Generally Canon announcements have followed Nikons, I don't expect them to announce the 5D MkIII until there's a D800 on the horizon, and there's no sign of that either!

aldvan

« Reply #44 on: September 27, 2011, 07:26:42 AM »
I fully agree with Flake. My first digital was an S20. Coming from a Pentax LX with a rich set of lenses, the quality of  those digital images was, per se, awful, but it was easy to understand the huge potential of the new technology. So, I was very happy to trade the S20, in few months, for a G1. In less than a year a new exchange was largely justified by the improved quality performed by a Nikon 5700. Next step, the following year, was a 350D, that allowed me to reenter the reflex+lenses range. It needed three years for the next step, 50D and one year for a 5D MkII and four L lenses. Each of these steps was justified by the big improvement in IQ. Recently I added a 1Ds MkIII, but, I have to say, that didn't mean a great improvement. I suppose, so, that the improvement of digital photography is reaching its top, until something really revolutionary will come.
If I have a look at great photographers portfolio, I can't imagine that the quality of their images could in any way improved by a new camera. Not enough, at least, to justify the anxiety manifested by many people in this forum to get a new model, since I can't believe that the market and R&D are ready, in these difficult times, for a real revolution, able to radically improve the quality of our pictures.
And a large depreciation of our equipment does not seem so desirable, if not for a real and substantial progress.
Different conclusion, obviously, if for us a new camera is something to treat ourselves like it would be for a new toy, but this is something quite different from a real and useful tool...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: September 27, 2011, 07:26:42 AM »