December 10, 2016, 06:02:27 AM

Author Topic: Zeiss 55 f/1.4 Distagon Availability Coming in the Next 24 Hours? [CR2]  (Read 39680 times)

ME

• Canon AE-1
Re: Zeiss 55 f/1.4 Distagon Availability Coming in the Next 24 Hours? [CR2]
« Reply #120 on: October 09, 2013, 04:05:42 PM »
Photography much like any other hobby has products that vary in quality and pricing. And much like other hobbies, things get exponentially more expensive as you get to the top end. If this lens is in fact optically capable of what Zeiss is claiming, then it is unmatched by anything else on the market. If you look at any other line of products for any activity, the absolute top of the line item will almost always seem outrageously priced unless you happen to want/need what that item can do that all the competing items of that type cannot.

While I agree that it is a large sum of money for a normal lens, the fact that it is able to do something which no other lens can currently do makes it worth the price of admission (for the consumer that needs/wants that level of performance for their work). They could ask 5k for the lens and it would still be justifiable in my book since NO OTHER LENS CAN DO WHAT IT DOES (optically). No, it doesn't have AF or IS. But the guys that are looking at buying this lens aren't necessarily concerned with that. Not that I am an expert on this, but based on the little I do know, both of those features could cause restrictions on obtaining maximum optical quality and aberration control.

Yes, there are plenty of other normal lenses that will get YOUR specific job done for a lot less cheese (and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that). But guess what, that doesn't mean there aren't people out there that can make good use of the optical quality this lens offers.

Everything has it's place. Different strokes for different folks.

I personally own the 50/2 Makro alongside the 50L, and Conurus modded Contax Zeiss 50/1.4. I love all three for their unique characteristics and they all have their place depending on what I am trying to accomplish. Many would say that is a waste of money and I COULD get the job done with just one of them. But hey, if you can afford to have something and it does what you want it to do, why not? No reason to knock people for purchasing something when you don't necessarily share their set of needs/wants.

All of this is neither here nor there anyway. I just want to see what this lens starts yielding once it gets in the hands of consumers as it could be stunning.

Exactly. I have the Zeiss 50/1.4 and the Sigma 50/1.4, but still desire to have the 50L (and this lens). I could also use more money to buy those lenses :). They all render images differently, not necessarily better or worse, just differently. If Da Vinci and Van Gogh both painted the same scene, they would look very different, and the same thing with different photographers. That does not mean that I cant enjoy both. And as for as the debate on techy vs artist, Da Vinci was both, Einstein was both (he played violin). I believe a balance is good.
5DII,50D,Canon|Sigma|Zeiss|Samyang|LENSES
http://www.flickr.com/photos/iveseenthelight/

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #120 on: October 09, 2013, 04:05:42 PM »

Eldar

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • Flickr
« Reply #121 on: October 09, 2013, 04:24:22 PM »
My other passion in life is music and highend audio and photography equipment is actually quite cheap in comparison to what you pay for the high end audio stuff. This lens cost about the same as my Triplanar VIII tonearm, without the pickup and without the turntable ... Sounds like a bargain to me ...

I was really planning to stay away from this lens ... but, having read the available previews and reviews and looked at the available samples ... who am I kidding ...
Canonite and Zeissoholic ...

JohnDizzo15

• Canon 7D MK II
« Reply #122 on: October 09, 2013, 04:52:47 PM »
I believe that lloyd also stated in his review that the image quality in the center was basically similar to the 50/2 Makro Planar except it goes to 1.4 and that quality stretches to the edges of the frame.

I personally use the Zeiss 50/2 Makro when the scenario permits and I am looking for absolute resolving power. None of the other 50mm lenses I have even come close at f/2. If the Otus 55 in fact can deliver the DOF and light gathering ability of 1.4 while maintaining that level of IQ across the whole frame, I can tell you that it would be nothing short of astonishing.

Jeffrey

• Canon AE-1
« Reply #123 on: October 09, 2013, 06:07:04 PM »
+1

vscd

• Canon 6D
  • 5DC
« Reply #124 on: October 10, 2013, 04:50:03 AM »
They are super sharp stopped down and not too bad wide-open, but they could be sharper at the edges wide open and even at the center (especially the 1.2L isn't 100% sharp wide open). But more than that, they suffer from LoCA. The 85 1.8 has about as much LoCA as I have ever seen from a lens! Even under weak indoor lighting in a gym white uniforms become absolutely riddled with PF all over the place. They toss tons of purple in front and green haze behind all over stuff.

I, myself, do not mind on vignetting anymore (if it's fair below -2ev). First, I like em on potraits and secondmore they can be resolved in postprocessing... The LoCA on the 85 1.8 is visible, but those effects can be fixed within DXO/Lightroom, at most. Of course we want the perfect lense, especially if we're filming with it. I just think Canon has more open todos on a 50mm 1.2 L Lense, than on the 85mm range.

The Problem is, that everyone is pixelpeeping at the moment... and I think the Zeiss 55mm 1.4 is the answer to the question "what can be done"? It's like paying 20 grands more on the "S"-Modell of the Porsche Turbo. The last 15 horsepowers are expensive.

I can see a clear market for the lense... photographers with the medium format PhaseOne/Leica S2 have now a clear smaller alternative @the same IQ:   Nikon D800+Zeiss (or something coming up from Canon).
5DC, 85 1.2L II, 80-200 2.8L, 100 2.8L IS, 14 2.8, 35 1.4, 75-300 IS, 40STM, 24-85, Zeiss Lenses, and a real cam.. Fuji GX680

Sporgon

• 5% of gear used 95% of the time
    • www.buildingpanoramics.com
« Reply #125 on: October 10, 2013, 07:26:53 AM »
I believe that lloyd also stated in his review that the image quality in the center was basically similar to the 50/2 Makro Planar except it goes to 1.4 and that quality stretches to the edges of the frame.

It's good to know that it will match the EF 85mm f1.2 then as well as the EF 35 f2 IS, and no doubt it will give the 40mm pancake a run for its money at 2.8  ;)

Only joking, I know the other attributes of the Zeiss lens. Also centre resolution is often over stated at the exclusion of mid frame res, which in reality makes for a much better lens. Still not convinced of the importance of sharp boarders with ultra fast apertures, but there ya go.

I think it has been pointed out before that if the Cosina made Zeiss dslr lenses were hand made in Germany they would cost about €3000 each.

RVB

• Rebel SL1
  • 1DX
« Reply #126 on: October 10, 2013, 08:01:10 AM »
They are super sharp stopped down and not too bad wide-open, but they could be sharper at the edges wide open and even at the center (especially the 1.2L isn't 100% sharp wide open). But more than that, they suffer from LoCA. The 85 1.8 has about as much LoCA as I have ever seen from a lens! Even under weak indoor lighting in a gym white uniforms become absolutely riddled with PF all over the place. They toss tons of purple in front and green haze behind all over stuff.

I, myself, do not mind on vignetting anymore (if it's fair below -2ev). First, I like em on potraits and secondmore they can be resolved in postprocessing... The LoCA on the 85 1.8 is visible, but those effects can be fixed within DXO/Lightroom, at most. Of course we want the perfect lense, especially if we're filming with it. I just think Canon has more open todos on a 50mm 1.2 L Lense, than on the 85mm range.

The Problem is, that everyone is pixelpeeping at the moment... and I think the Zeiss 55mm 1.4 is the answer to the question "what can be done"? It's like paying 20 grands more on the "S"-Modell of the Porsche Turbo. The last 15 horsepowers are expensive.

I can see a clear market for the lense... photographers with the medium format PhaseOne/Leica S2 have now a clear smaller alternative @the same IQ:   Nikon D800+Zeiss (or something coming up from Canon).

"I can see a clear market for the lense... photographers with the medium format PhaseOne/Leica S2 have now a clear smaller alternative @the same IQ:   Nikon D800+Zeiss (or something coming up from Canon)."

Lack of A.F and leaf shutters limits the audience,I have used quite a few Zeiss lenses and have the 15mm at the moment,but the Leica S 24 and HCD-28mm are better,and what happens when Medium format hits 120MP which it will at some stage..  and the huge bright viewfinder is another bonus...

Having said that it is as you say a smaller alternative when money dictates the gear you can buy or if you need a smaller kit..although with this Zeiss lens weighing 1kg the weight benefit is a moot point,the D800 is not much lighter than the Leica S..

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #126 on: October 10, 2013, 08:01:10 AM »

mackguyver

• Master of Pain
    • My Personal Work
« Reply #127 on: October 10, 2013, 08:55:01 AM »
Having said that it is as you say a smaller alternative when money dictates the gear you can buy or if you need a smaller kit..although with this Zeiss lens weighing 1kg the weight benefit is a moot point,the D800 is not much lighter than the Leica S..
Very true, but with an SLR you have cameras capable of amazing autofocus - oh wait ;)  I think this lens will appeal to people heavily invested in SLR gear who may be willing to spend the money but aren't ready to make the FULL inve$$$tment in medium format. 
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 12:05:09 PM by mackguyver »
CPS Score: 111 points

RVB

• Rebel SL1
  • 1DX
« Reply #128 on: October 10, 2013, 09:32:11 AM »
Very true, but with an SLR you have cameras capable of amazing autofocus - oh wait ;)  I think this lens will appeal to people heavily invested in SLR gear who may be willing to spend the money but aren't ready to make the FULL inve$$$tment in medium format.

+1

Here is a][url][/url] video interview with Dr Hubert Nasse discussing this lens..  http://wideopencamera.com/cameras/dr-hubert-nasse-explains-the-new-zeiss-55mm-f1-4-lens-design/
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 10:38:21 AM by RVB »

JohnDizzo15

• Canon 7D MK II
« Reply #129 on: October 10, 2013, 12:42:56 PM »
This thread led me to pull out the 50/2 Makro for some quick shots last night. Don't mind the leftover spaghetti sauce on her face.

Wide open at f2. Like I said before, I am very curious to see what the Otus 55 is capable of at 1.4 if the whole frame performs on par with or better than the 50/2 Makro in the center.

RVB

• Rebel SL1
  • 1DX
« Reply #130 on: October 10, 2013, 01:29:19 PM »
This Zeiss Flickr accounts shows a selection of images taken with the 55.. I believe this one is by Lloyd Chambers   http://www.flickr.com/photos/carlzeisslenses/10185277475/#

dickgrafixstop

• Canon 6D
« Reply #131 on: October 11, 2013, 12:27:57 PM »
OK - $4000 for a for an all manual 50mm f1.4 lens.  Adorama shows a summicron f2.0 for $7350, an old summilux f1.4 for $3995, and the noctilux f0.95 for 10,995 (all manual).  The Canon cinema 50mm lens is $4700. 
Guess if you want to play with the big boys, you have to step up to the plate!

vscd

• Canon 6D
  • 5DC
« Reply #132 on: October 12, 2013, 04:47:43 AM »
>Guess if you want to play with the big boys, you have to step up to the plate!

Manual focus is nothing you can take 100 photos in a hurry, so I guess this
separates boys from men ;) I never got *any* AF-Lense with the same smooth
focusring as on manual ones...

...there seems even to be an advantage of manual focussing:

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/canon-eos-70d/9
5DC, 85 1.2L II, 80-200 2.8L, 100 2.8L IS, 14 2.8, 35 1.4, 75-300 IS, 40STM, 24-85, Zeiss Lenses, and a real cam.. Fuji GX680

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #132 on: October 12, 2013, 04:47:43 AM »

RGomezPhotos

• Canon 6D
    • Ricardo Gomez Photography
« Reply #133 on: October 13, 2013, 09:01:07 PM »
This Zeiss Flickr accounts shows a selection of images taken with the 55.. I believe this one is by Lloyd Chambers   http://www.flickr.com/photos/carlzeisslenses/10185277475/#

One word:  WOW!

This lens is SO CLOSE to medium format...  Even the D800 isn't enough to fully utilize the lens.  You get the resolution, but not the tonal range.

Again:  WOW!
EOS 5D MKII & 50D, Zeiss 50mm f1.4
www.ricardogomezphotography.com

AvTvM

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #134 on: October 14, 2013, 06:02:12 AM »

One word:  WOW!

This lens is SO CLOSE to medium format...  Even the D800 isn't enough to fully utilize the lens.  You get the resolution, but not the tonal range.

Again:  WOW!

Your "WOW-ing" is meant satirical, right?

The linked picture is just another addition to the gazillion of poorly composed, ultra-boring cat pictures on the net. I hope it is taken with an iphone since it would be an insult if it were to come from somebody allowed to use a $ 4k Zeiss lens or a MF camera. ;-)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #134 on: October 14, 2013, 06:02:12 AM »