December 19, 2014, 08:04:30 AM

Author Topic: Zeiss 55 f/1.4 Distagon Availability Coming in the Next 24 Hours? [CR2]  (Read 20279 times)

drjlo

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
Re: Zeiss 55 f/1.4 Distagon Availability Coming in the Next 24 Hours? [CR2]
« Reply #60 on: October 07, 2013, 05:27:36 PM »

But my main worry would be  - post processing.

So much can be done with even cheap pp programs to picture quality that I wonder after skillfull pp how much real word difference there would be when using moderate apertures.

From what's reported so far, the big advantage of Zeiss 55 will be corner sharpness wide open.  For those who need that, well price could be no object. 

It's mentioned that mere mortal lenses can be similarly sharp in the center wide open and when stopped down.  Early users are also reporting the Zeiss is perhaps too sharp for portraits, calling it "Portrait for perfect skin" lens, so for non-model adults I shoot, I would be stuck with less post-processing time with my L primes. 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #60 on: October 07, 2013, 05:27:36 PM »

RVB

• Canon AE-1
  • 1DX
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 07, 2013, 05:35:21 PM »

But my main worry would be  - post processing.

So much can be done with even cheap pp programs to picture quality that I wonder after skillfull pp how much real word difference there would be when using moderate apertures.

From what's reported so far, the big advantage of Zeiss 55 will be corner sharpness wide open.  For those who need that, well price could be no object. 

It's mentioned that mere mortal lenses can be similarly sharp in the center wide open and when stopped down.  Early users are also reporting the Zeiss is perhaps too sharp for portraits, calling it "Portrait for perfect skin" lens, so for non-model adults I shoot, I would be stuck with less post-processing time with my L primes.

Hard to beat a 70-200L mk2 for portraits..

mb66energy

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 07, 2013, 06:15:43 PM »
I think this lens is far from a no compromise lens:
  * LARGE
  * HEAVY
  * VERY EXPENSIVE
but ... different needs = different style of compromise(s). In some situations a 1 kg perfect lens IS MUCH MORE APPROPRIATE than a 300 g standard "equivalent"!

I am looking forward to test the chrome ring FD 1.4 / 50 which is small, light and waiting to be reused since 2000 with my EOS M which I bought today. "Digital" will show its weaknesses (optically) and I see low contrast/a slight halo + longitudinal CAs. My need: low DOF photography and/or low light photography - so these weaknesses might be negligible.
TOOLS: EF-S 10-22 | 60 || EF 2.8/24 | 2.8/40* | 2.8 100 Macro* |2.0/100 | 4.0/70-200* | 5.6/400* || 2 x 40D | 600D | EOS M  [* most used lenses]

Axilrod

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 07, 2013, 06:31:32 PM »
Why is everyone so upset about the price of this lens?  Don't buy it if you think it's too much.  Price aside I'm sure it performs like a dream, I've never been disappointed by Zeiss glass.
5DIII/5DII/Bunch of L's and ZE's, currently rearranging.

RobertG.

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Robert Gall Photography
« Reply #64 on: October 07, 2013, 06:55:27 PM »
Hi, I'm really happy about this lens anouncement :D There was no really good 50mm lens available yet. For landscape photography in this focus length I used so far an old medium format tilt-shift lens or the TS-E 45mm. Both are mediocre but you can't shoot every scene with a TS-E 24 L II or a TS-E 90mm. The tilt-shift design offered at least proper corner sharpness and less hassle than an ordinary 50mm lens on a panorama head.

I don't really mind the size or the weight of this lens. To have AF would be a bonus but I don't really care! It takes me normally several minutes to set up my equipment for a landscape shot, so I do have time to manually focus in live view. And for street photography, events etc. I prefer the EF 35L yet. For such occassions Sigma will hopefully update soon their 50mm lens.

The only negative aspect is the price. 2500-3000 EUR would be great. Now it will take a few more months of saving.
5DII | TS-E 17 mm L | TS-E 24 mm II | EF 35mm f1.4 | TS-E 45mm | EF 50mm f1.4 |
Tamron SP 24-70 f2.8 | EF 85mm f1.8 | TS-E 90mm f2.8 | EF 70-300mm F4.0-5.6 L

RGomezPhotos

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • Ricardo Gomez Photography
« Reply #65 on: October 07, 2013, 07:01:20 PM »
I really don't think Canon has been waiting for Zeiss to release the 55 so we
Have something to use with a high mp camera. And I don't think Zeiss knows what canon are releasing before it's released, they assume. That being said it's highly likely a few more high mp cameras will come. Not that I in any way think this lens is at all wasted on a 5d2 or 1dx.

No.  You have it backwards.  Zeiss has been waiting for Canon.  And manufacturers work very closely together.  Zeiss works with Sony and Fuji after all.  Sandisk has been working closely with Canon with the new CFast 2.0 CF card standard.  I wouldn't be a bit surprised if the big MP Canon used this new card standard.  450MB/s: PERFECT for a fast, big MP camera.
EOS 5D MKII & 50D, Zeiss 50mm f1.4
www.ricardogomezphotography.com

LetTheRightLensIn

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 07, 2013, 07:01:49 PM »
For $4000, I expect the lens to have fastest & accurate AF

+1  ;)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #66 on: October 07, 2013, 07:01:49 PM »

LetTheRightLensIn

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 07, 2013, 07:11:44 PM »
Here's the video:

Well it does seem to be pretty amazing in that it looks to be more or less APO and to also have zero hazing and full contrast and detail at f/1.4 under any lighting AND even into FF corners is pretty nuts.

Man $4000 though is still rough. At $2500 they may have sold some good number, $4000 will cuts sales a lot since that is just too much for many for such a lens no matter how amazing. Still it will get some sales since the performance does seem way better than any other current 50mm (I've never really had a look at the Leica stuff though, which have been said to have been the best up to this point.)

OTOH Canon managed to make a complex 24-70 2.8 more or less APO so you wonder if they couldn't match this and with AF for say $2600??

It makes the 1.2L optical performance look like a total joke, same for the sigma 1.4 and all the older types of course too.

LetTheRightLensIn

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 07, 2013, 07:17:28 PM »
Expect the Zeis to be manual focus and to deliver outstanding image quality. If you think the Zeis lenses are too highly priced then they're simply not for you.

Pre-release review:
http://diglloyd.com/articles/ZeissZ/ZeissZ-Otus-55f1_4.html

It really does seem to be awfully amazing at f/1.4. It's really a shame it doesn't have AF. You almost have to use liveview since VF MF is so awful these days with many cameras (especially with 5D3 which has the dumb smart VF that is utterly useless for MF).

LetTheRightLensIn

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 07, 2013, 07:24:29 PM »
I have had an opportunity to play with it for a while and it worth every penny..

https://www.flickr.com/photos/janpolacek/8682080182/in/set-72157633336606129

sorry but what exactly in this images justifies the price?
i see nothing you could not do with a cheaper 50mm 1.4.

maybe it´s because you resized the images and in the originals the quality is more prominent.

i do believe the zeiss is great .. just not 4000$ great.

How about absolute color purity? A regular 50 1.4 would be tossing green hazes over everthing behind the exact plane of focus and purple in front and would be blurry near the edges and under some of those lighting conditions you'd get some bad halation effects. Remember those are all f/1.4, many under very nasty lighting (for a 1.4 lens).

LetTheRightLensIn

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 07, 2013, 07:32:53 PM »
I´m not the expert on MTF charts, but I was expecting something a bit more impressive than what Zeiss has published for this lens, ref:
http://lenses.zeiss.com/content/dam/Photography/new/pdf/en/downloadcenter/datasheets_otus/otus_1455.pdf
I´m sure a lot of you guys are more qualified than me in interpreting this than me, but my expectations were higher. What resolution, contrast, distortion, bokeh etc. can we expect here? The image examples I have seen did not make me very wise.

On the other hand. In every discipline in the world, someone is pushing the envelope. If this lens delivers the quality Zeiss claims, and to be honest, they do have some credit to their name, it´s only natural that they charge us for it. Hifi, flyfishing gear, bicycles, watches, pens ... you name it. Enough people are more than willing to pay for the extra micro dB, milli miles/hour, nano gram saving, having something exclusive ...  And the 55/1.4 will be able to trigger most of those urges with the photographiles. Am I one ... eehhh ... probably, so I´d better never read a review or (worse) try one :)

well compare to the canon 50 1.4:
http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/ef_lens_lineup/ef_50mm_f_1_4_usm

note that you need to look at the f/1.4 zeiss chart and compare the top zeiss line to the top thick BLACK canon line  ;) and the bottom BLACK Canon line to what would be a line somewhere half-way between the two lower zeiss lines. Looks better now no?

Also I think zeiss MTF are measured on an optical bench from a real lens while the canon chart is from an ideal lens copy computer simulation.

LetTheRightLensIn

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 07, 2013, 07:35:46 PM »
Is there a technical reason why it is 55mm and not 50mm?  Is it not possible to design a fast (i.e. f/1.2-f/1.4) lens with a double gauss design?  Is it why the 55 is a reverse-telephoto design?

they didn't want to use a simple double gauss design again anyway, yeah those are cheap and produce amazing result stopped down but we have tons of those with the current non-L canons and regular nikons and so on

LetTheRightLensIn

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 07, 2013, 07:37:36 PM »
not having AF though, not joking this time, does hurt it, 4k is a lot and without AF its usage is more limited (especially considering how miserable most modern DSLR are for through the VF AF, it's not like old pre-AF days where you at least had a chance to MF)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #72 on: October 07, 2013, 07:37:36 PM »

dilbert

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 07, 2013, 07:39:55 PM »
Expect the Zeis to be manual focus and to deliver outstanding image quality. If you think the Zeis lenses are too highly priced then they're simply not for you.

Pre-release review:
http://diglloyd.com/articles/ZeissZ/ZeissZ-Otus-55f1_4.html

It really does seem to be awfully amazing at f/1.4. It's really a shame it doesn't have AF. You almost have to use liveview since VF MF is so awful these days with many cameras (especially with 5D3 which has the dumb smart VF that is utterly useless for MF).

Well Canon is to blame for the AF problem - it would seem that Zeis isn't interested in trying to reverse engineer the AF protocol between camera and lens and spend their R&D money only on lens design. If Canon would license or open up their AF protocol specifications then vendors such as Zeis could easily provide AF lenses.

dilbert

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 07, 2013, 07:45:19 PM »
For myself, I can't believe Zeiss are doing this, and making it a manual focus lens.  Somehow it's ok for them to make autofocus lenses for the Sony-Nex and Fuji mounts, but when it comes to Nikon and Canon mounts...manual focus is all they deserve...and to charge such a high price too?  It is comical!!

It's Canon's fault, not Zeiss's.

Sony are working with Zeiss to develop lenses for their cameras so it makes perfect sense that Zeiss would be given information about Sony's AF mechanism/protocol.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #74 on: October 07, 2013, 07:45:19 PM »