November 22, 2014, 11:53:18 AM

Author Topic: Zeiss 55 f/1.4 Distagon Availability Coming in the Next 24 Hours? [CR2]  (Read 19160 times)

Viggo

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: Zeiss 55 f/1.4 Distagon Availability Coming in the Next 24 Hours? [CR2]
« Reply #90 on: October 08, 2013, 08:36:07 AM »
I'm honestly surprised by the negativity around price with this lens.  It's a niche lens with a complex design and near flawless image performance that demands a large price.  So be it I say.  I'd like to purchase it, but two things will prevent me from doing so in the short term:

• Canon does not have a high megapixel body yet to take advantage of this lens.  Granted, there are certainly other benefits such as color rendition, contrast, edge-to-edge sharpness, but my guess is that it really shines with a high megapixel body
  • Manual focus through the viewfinder on newer Canon models is an exercise in frustration if you are extremely anal about perfect focus placement.  Forget about it on the 5D III, as the viewfinder presents an image with an f-stop well smaller than large ones on prime lenses.  I have a 1D-X, but have yet to try one of the focus screens that can be purchased, so maybe I can go that route.

Regardless, I find this thens very intriguing and hope to be able to rent a copy to try at some point.  I will reserve any judgment on price until then.

As MP goes up, difraction limitations increases...so the pros and cons of high MP cameras on a 35mm format is unkown at the moment.
It's true, the 5DIII and all Canon stock screens render a DOF of roughly f4...which is a million miles away from fast primes (f1.2). For f2.8 glass, it's not so important but for fast primes, it needs to be worked around. The 1Dx, 5DII and 6D have interchangable screens and when fitted with a "g rated" fine focus screen, the actual DOF can been seen in the viewfinder...but the screen is somewhat darker (fine if you are using primes). I have found that the Spot AF system (which I think isn't on the 1Dx - please correct me if i'm wrong) is fantastic and nailing a precisely placed point of focus, but it's tricky.

"roughly f4" ? I think it's actually f2.5.

The 1d X have the spot-AF in the same way the 5d3 does, and also an advantage over the 5d3, the ability to set spot-metering to any focusing point.

I have the EC-S focusing screen for the 1d X, but I stopped using it after buying the 24-70 II, and it was indeed tricky, because metering isn't supported so you will be doing a fair bit of compensation.
1dx, 24-70 L II, 50 Art, 200 f2.0 L

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #90 on: October 08, 2013, 08:36:07 AM »

Rick

• Rebel SL1
  • Dual Platform
    • View Profile
If you paid more than $4k for a coffee maker, you deserve the Zeiss lens.
« Reply #91 on: October 08, 2013, 09:01:16 AM »
"Ridiculous" for one may be quite reasonable for another.  I think some will change their minds once they see some of the images this lens will be capable of.  I've certainly been tempted by the Zeiss Planar Macro after seeing some of those images.  By the way, this lens doesn't even cost as much as my coffee machine (La Cimbali).  That may be ridiculous to some, but more than worthwhile for me (the coffee machine, that is).

Somehow, I must believe you are pulling my leg.

I think 99.9999% out of 100 photographers will agree with me. However, at this price, maybe Zeiss only needs the .0001% to be profitable. The raw manufacturing cost of this lens would be only a fraction higher than any of their other 35mm SLR 50s.
5D2, 5D3, D3x, D800E, TSE17, 100L, 14-24G, 24-70G, 24-70 II, 70-200/4 IS, CZ 18 ZF, CZ 2.8/25 ZF, CZ 2/28 ZF, CZ 2/35 ZF, CZ 2/50 ZF

dilbert

• View Profile
Re: If you paid more than $4k for a coffee maker, you deserve the Zeiss lens.
« Reply #92 on: October 08, 2013, 09:36:34 AM »
I think 99.9999% out of 100 photographers will agree with me. However, at this price, maybe Zeiss only needs the .0001% to be profitable. The raw manufacturing cost of this lens would be only a fraction higher than any of their other 35mm SLR 50s.

And you know that the raw manufacturing cost of the Zeiss lens is not much more than that of Canon because...?

Do you have inside knowledge of how Zeiss make their lenses?
Do you know what sort of quality control mechanism they use in their manufacturing vs Canon?

If you do, please share the information with all of us so that we may be enlightened, but if not, please keep your trap shut about that which you know nothing.

nehemiah

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 08, 2013, 09:51:29 AM »
"Ridiculous" for one may be quite reasonable for another.  I think some will change their minds once they see some of the images this lens will be capable of.  I've certainly been tempted by the Zeiss Planar Macro after seeing some of those images.  By the way, this lens doesn't even cost as much as my coffee machine (La Cimbali).  That may be ridiculous to some, but more than worthwhile for me (the coffee machine, that is).

Somehow, I must believe you are pulling my leg.

Do you own any Zeiss glass?  I do.  I still have it and did not return it.  All those 99.9999% people that you are ASSUMING agree with you (even on this forum, you'll see more of an 70/30 split as to the opinion on this lens -- certainly not 99.9999 to .0001), every single one of them is familiar with the Zeiss name.  Why?  They've been in business for a long time, and seemingly are doing just fine.  Oh, but you know better than they what sells.

The lack of reason and humility around here is disconcerting. 

GMCPhotographics

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • GMCPhotographics
« Reply #94 on: October 08, 2013, 09:55:59 AM »
I'm honestly surprised by the negativity around price with this lens.  It's a niche lens with a complex design and near flawless image performance that demands a large price.  So be it I say.  I'd like to purchase it, but two things will prevent me from doing so in the short term:

• Canon does not have a high megapixel body yet to take advantage of this lens.  Granted, there are certainly other benefits such as color rendition, contrast, edge-to-edge sharpness, but my guess is that it really shines with a high megapixel body
  • Manual focus through the viewfinder on newer Canon models is an exercise in frustration if you are extremely anal about perfect focus placement.  Forget about it on the 5D III, as the viewfinder presents an image with an f-stop well smaller than large ones on prime lenses.  I have a 1D-X, but have yet to try one of the focus screens that can be purchased, so maybe I can go that route.

Regardless, I find this thens very intriguing and hope to be able to rent a copy to try at some point.  I will reserve any judgment on price until then.

As MP goes up, difraction limitations increases...so the pros and cons of high MP cameras on a 35mm format is unkown at the moment.
It's true, the 5DIII and all Canon stock screens render a DOF of roughly f4...which is a million miles away from fast primes (f1.2). For f2.8 glass, it's not so important but for fast primes, it needs to be worked around. The 1Dx, 5DII and 6D have interchangable screens and when fitted with a "g rated" fine focus screen, the actual DOF can been seen in the viewfinder...but the screen is somewhat darker (fine if you are using primes). I have found that the Spot AF system (which I think isn't on the 1Dx - please correct me if i'm wrong) is fantastic and nailing a precisely placed point of focus, but it's tricky.

"roughly f4" ? I think it's actually f2.5.

The 1d X have the spot-AF in the same way the 5d3 does, and also an advantage over the 5d3, the ability to set spot-metering to any focusing point.

I have the EC-S focusing screen for the 1d X, but I stopped using it after buying the 24-70 II, and it was indeed tricky, because metering isn't supported so you will be doing a fair bit of compensation.

It's certainly higher than f2.8 becuase I've tested it with my lenses...stock screen and I can't see stopping down from f1.2 round to f4.

At launch there was internet forum chatter around the 1Dx's spot focus point only being usable on certain lenses, where as it was open to any lens on a 5DIII. But I could well be wrong, it's just what I remembered from the specs at launch. Where the 1Dx certainly as an AF feature is when all 61 points are active, the colour and face deetection AI Servo tracking is amazing. The 5DIII's tracking is excellent, but not in the same league. But the 5DIII is a different machine for different markets, it was heavily directed by a well known wedding photographer...hence the dual slots, pro AF, superior build and nearly silent shutter (very sweet and spookily quiet). 

There's a menu item custom function for the EC-S screen, it'll allow the camera to meter correctly. Otherwise, you'll get some funky and inconsistent metering.

mackguyver

• Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Work
« Reply #95 on: October 08, 2013, 09:59:56 AM »
Just to play the devil's advocate here in terms of price/performance, let's assume the new Zeiss is able to outresolve the highest resolution Canon sensor, the 5D Mark III.  If we trust DxO's measurements, there is only one lens that currently outresolves the 5D III sensor, the 300mm f/2.8L IS II USM, which retails for $7,299.  It has autofocus, IS, and a fancy lens case.

Assuming the Zeiss 55 is of similar build quality, comes with some kind of fancy case, and is manufactured at a much smaller scale, the price doesn't seem entirely outrageous.  All other factors aside, it costs more to make far fewer lenses than it does for volume production and Germany is typically more expensive than Japan.

I hope the lens turns out to be amazing - anything that will motivate other manufacturers to compete is a good thing.

Lee Jay

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 08, 2013, 10:13:07 AM »
Wow...$4000 for a lens that's just this side of useless - no AF and the most boring focal length there is.

Honestly, I wouldn't pay $80 for it.  I'd rather have a used Canon 50/1.8.  Actually, I sold my 50/1.8 (and 50/1.4), so I probably wouldn't even pay $80 for a Canon.

Okay, I'd give $20 for it.  Maybe I could use it for something.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #96 on: October 08, 2013, 10:13:07 AM »

Lee Jay

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 08, 2013, 10:17:45 AM »
Just to play the devil's advocate here in terms of price/performance, let's assume the new Zeiss is able to outresolve the highest resolution Canon sensor, the 5D Mark III.  If we trust DxO's measurements, there is only one lens that currently outresolves the 5D III sensor, the 300mm f/2.8L IS II USM, which retails for $7,299.

Never trust the DxO measurements for that - they are shot through an AA filter, and thus are not telling you the performance of the lens, only the lens plus the AA filter.

Most Canon lenses dramatically "out-resolve" the highest pixel-density sensor Canon makes (the 70D).

zlatko

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • http://www.zlatkobatistich.com
« Reply #98 on: October 08, 2013, 11:16:31 AM »

And you know that the raw manufacturing cost of the Zeiss lens is not much more than that of Canon because...?

Do you have inside knowledge of how Zeiss make their lenses?
Do you know what sort of quality control mechanism they use in their manufacturing vs Canon?

If you do, please share the information with all of us so that we may be enlightened, but if not, please keep your trap shut about that which you know nothing.

Of course he doesn't know or have any info to share.  The lens has rare glass, a floating element and other features that help it to deliver an unbelievable level of performance.  It is much bigger and built to a higher standard.  Production will be much slower and more labor intensive than for a typical 50/1.4.  All of that costs money to build ... a lot of money.

The first image samples look absolutely stunning.  This lens is going to make some people very, very happy.  It is not in my budget, and with manual focus it's not that practical for my work.  Under different circumstances I would be all over it.

xvnm

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
EOS 70D, 10-22mm, 24mm f/2.8 IS, 35mm f/2 IS, 40mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8, 430EX II

RGF

• 1D X
  • How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 08, 2013, 12:32:01 PM »
Wonder if OTUS is code for grossly overprice?

RVB

• Canon AE-1
  • 1DX
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 08, 2013, 12:43:00 PM »
I'm Looking forward to the 35mm and 21mm versions,especially the 21mm which is a focal length I like a lot..

Jeffrey

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 08, 2013, 12:52:46 PM »
The only review that I have read from anyone who has actually used the lens is from Lloyd Chambers. Yet everyone is an expert and has strong opinions about the lens without ever having shot one frame using the new lens. Minds made up. Verdict entered. How sad!

I'm sure that in time the usual lens rental companies will have the lens available for rent. Maybe take the lens for a test drive, after which you can decide if the lens is great based on your own review.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #102 on: October 08, 2013, 12:52:46 PM »

RVB

• Canon AE-1
  • 1DX
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 08, 2013, 01:03:26 PM »
The only review that I have read from anyone who has actually used the lens is from Lloyd Chambers. Yet everyone is an expert and has strong opinions about the lens without ever having shot one frame using the new lens. Minds made up. Verdict entered. How sad!

I'm sure that in time the usual lens rental companies will have the lens available for rent. Maybe take the lens for a test drive, after which you can decide if the lens is great based on your own review.

I doubt anyone will be disappointed with the I.Q unless they want a lens with a slightly softer look for portrait's,or If they just find the haptic's unfriendly.

LetTheRightLensIn

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 08, 2013, 09:35:38 PM »
I'm surprised at the feelings that the price is too high.  $50,000 and up is common for high quality Cinema lenses, and some are so expensive that they won't sell them, just lease them.

$4,000 is chicken feed as far as high end lenses go.
Of course, the spy agencies have been known to invest hundreds of millions.

Yeah but Cinema lenses also sell like 10 copies. And spy lenses may have a total run of 1 or maybe a handful.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #104 on: October 08, 2013, 09:35:38 PM »