December 05, 2016, 10:07:10 AM

Author Topic: Zeiss 55 f/1.4 Distagon Availability Coming in the Next 24 Hours? [CR2]  (Read 39602 times)

mackguyver

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Master of Pain
    • My Personal Work
Re: Zeiss 55 f/1.4 Distagon Availability Coming in the Next 24 Hours? [CR2]
« Reply #90 on: October 08, 2013, 09:59:56 AM »
Just to play the devil's advocate here in terms of price/performance, let's assume the new Zeiss is able to outresolve the highest resolution Canon sensor, the 5D Mark III.  If we trust DxO's measurements, there is only one lens that currently outresolves the 5D III sensor, the 300mm f/2.8L IS II USM, which retails for $7,299.  It has autofocus, IS, and a fancy lens case.

Assuming the Zeiss 55 is of similar build quality, comes with some kind of fancy case, and is manufactured at a much smaller scale, the price doesn't seem entirely outrageous.  All other factors aside, it costs more to make far fewer lenses than it does for volume production and Germany is typically more expensive than Japan.

I hope the lens turns out to be amazing - anything that will motivate other manufacturers to compete is a good thing.
CPS Score: 111 points

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #90 on: October 08, 2013, 09:59:56 AM »

Lee Jay

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #91 on: October 08, 2013, 10:13:07 AM »
Wow...$4000 for a lens that's just this side of useless - no AF and the most boring focal length there is.

Honestly, I wouldn't pay $80 for it.  I'd rather have a used Canon 50/1.8.  Actually, I sold my 50/1.8 (and 50/1.4), so I probably wouldn't even pay $80 for a Canon.

Okay, I'd give $20 for it.  Maybe I could use it for something.

Lee Jay

« Reply #92 on: October 08, 2013, 10:17:45 AM »
Just to play the devil's advocate here in terms of price/performance, let's assume the new Zeiss is able to outresolve the highest resolution Canon sensor, the 5D Mark III.  If we trust DxO's measurements, there is only one lens that currently outresolves the 5D III sensor, the 300mm f/2.8L IS II USM, which retails for $7,299.

Never trust the DxO measurements for that - they are shot through an AA filter, and thus are not telling you the performance of the lens, only the lens plus the AA filter.

Most Canon lenses dramatically "out-resolve" the highest pixel-density sensor Canon makes (the 70D).

zlatko

• 5D Mark III
    • http://www.zlatkobatistich.com
Re: If you paid more than $4k for a coffee maker, you deserve the Zeiss lens.
« Reply #93 on: October 08, 2013, 11:16:31 AM »
I think 99.9999% out of 100 photographers will agree with me. However, at this price, maybe Zeiss only needs the .0001% to be profitable. The raw manufacturing cost of this lens would be only a fraction higher than any of their other 35mm SLR 50s.

And you know that the raw manufacturing cost of the Zeiss lens is not much more than that of Canon because...?

Do you have inside knowledge of how Zeiss make their lenses?
Do you know what sort of quality control mechanism they use in their manufacturing vs Canon?

If you do, please share the information with all of us so that we may be enlightened, but if not, please keep your trap shut about that which you know nothing.

Of course he doesn't know or have any info to share.  The lens has rare glass, a floating element and other features that help it to deliver an unbelievable level of performance.  It is much bigger and built to a higher standard.  Production will be much slower and more labor intensive than for a typical 50/1.4.  All of that costs money to build ... a lot of money.

The first image samples look absolutely stunning.  This lens is going to make some people very, very happy.  It is not in my budget, and with manual focus it's not that practical for my work.  Under different circumstances I would be all over it.

xvnm

• Canon AE-1

RGF

• How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
« Reply #95 on: October 08, 2013, 12:32:01 PM »
Wonder if OTUS is code for grossly overprice?

RVB

• Rebel SL1
  • 1DX
« Reply #96 on: October 08, 2013, 12:43:00 PM »
I'm Looking forward to the 35mm and 21mm versions,especially the 21mm which is a focal length I like a lot..

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #96 on: October 08, 2013, 12:43:00 PM »

Jeffrey

• Canon AE-1
« Reply #97 on: October 08, 2013, 12:52:46 PM »
The only review that I have read from anyone who has actually used the lens is from Lloyd Chambers. Yet everyone is an expert and has strong opinions about the lens without ever having shot one frame using the new lens. Minds made up. Verdict entered. How sad!

I'm sure that in time the usual lens rental companies will have the lens available for rent. Maybe take the lens for a test drive, after which you can decide if the lens is great based on your own review.

RVB

• Rebel SL1
  • 1DX
« Reply #98 on: October 08, 2013, 01:03:26 PM »
The only review that I have read from anyone who has actually used the lens is from Lloyd Chambers. Yet everyone is an expert and has strong opinions about the lens without ever having shot one frame using the new lens. Minds made up. Verdict entered. How sad!

I'm sure that in time the usual lens rental companies will have the lens available for rent. Maybe take the lens for a test drive, after which you can decide if the lens is great based on your own review.

I doubt anyone will be disappointed with the I.Q unless they want a lens with a slightly softer look for portrait's,or If they just find the haptic's unfriendly.

LetTheRightLensIn

« Reply #99 on: October 08, 2013, 09:35:38 PM »
I'm surprised at the feelings that the price is too high.  $50,000 and up is common for high quality Cinema lenses, and some are so expensive that they won't sell them, just lease them.

$4,000 is chicken feed as far as high end lenses go.
Of course, the spy agencies have been known to invest hundreds of millions.

Yeah but Cinema lenses also sell like 10 copies. And spy lenses may have a total run of 1 or maybe a handful.

candc

• 5DSR
« Reply #100 on: October 08, 2013, 09:45:20 PM »
4 grand is a lot but just think, no more sigma af problems! sold!

LetTheRightLensIn

« Reply #101 on: October 08, 2013, 09:47:39 PM »
I totally agree and unfortunatly we live the generation of lens chart "experts" who troll internet review re-gurgitating the same old twollop, without every understanding why or how to use a particular lens.

More like the age of the arrogant artistic/pro type who doesn't get tech and just tries to disparage those who do.
Learn how to expose!!!! Learn how to shoot!!!!

Yeah whatever. Of course nobody who cares about any lens or sensor details knows how to expose or cares to ever bother trying to compose.

It reminds me of the old mk 24-70L lens....widely slamed by review sites and yet it's in the lens bag of 99% of professionals who shoot Canon. It was the web based amatures who dissed it while most of the pros loved it and were perplexed by the amatures opinion.

It depends what you wanted to do with it and what type of pro you were. Plenty of pros don't shoot anything that needs crispy corners at 24mm FF or care about purple fringing branches against skies. Then again some do. It depends what you wanted/needed out of it.

I also see a ton of pros praising the new version and saying it was well worth the price over their old version.

Don't forget that the new one also has a higher precision AF engine (which most other than landscape pros could surely appreciate at least a little bit) and it's not just sharper across the board but also fights off stuff like longitudinal CA better. If you don't care, don't pay, but enough with the high and mighty act.

In my opinion many maligned lenses generally outperform their owners!

That's as silly a tired old statement as saying that only the lens matters.

Very few photographers actually need sharp corners wide open. Unfortunatly, twee lens review sites tell uninformed people that they do.

It depends, for super-tele and 70-200 longer lenses it can be nice to have sharp corners wide open.
It's not as critical for a wider lens in many cases, I think PZ was a bit off for slamming the 24 1.4 II as being worse than the 24-105 just because it has totally soft edges at 1.4 (nevermind they are much sharper at all shared apertures). That said, at times you might have important stuff off-center and many lenses quickly go bad off-center at f/1.4.

Also don't forget that this lens does a lot more than just offer better edges sharpness. It gets rid of halation which can occur across the frame when shooting say the canon 50 1.4 at 1.4 under bright conditions and when too much light is reflecting off everything in the scene. It can also get tons and tons of nasty purple fringing (and green haze over OOF stuff).

There are photographers who shoot only lens charts and like twiddling their moustaches....apparently they consider themselves "experts" although they often don't seem to have the matching photos :D

The funny thing is that so far from what I've seen, 80% of the people who write what you just did end up having nothing but some shots of a few cats in their back yard in their galleries and the amateur twiddler lab techies end up having giant galleries from around the world or big time sporting event, etc.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 01:40:58 AM by LetTheRightLensIn »

LetTheRightLensIn

« Reply #102 on: October 08, 2013, 09:49:03 PM »
I totally agree and unfortunatly we live the generation of lens chart "experts" who troll internet review re-gurgitating the same old twollop, without every understanding why or how to use a particular lens. It reminds me of the old mk 24-70L lens....widely slamed by review sites and yet it's in the lens bag of 99% of professionals who shoot Canon. It was the web based amatures who dissed it while most of the pros loved it and were perplexed by the amatures opinion. In my opinion many maligned lenses generally outperform their owners!
I wish people would seek perfection in their photography and not their gear!

For a portrait lens, say take a 35mm, I am looking for a lens which when shot wide open, has gentle vignetting and soft corners. Which has good contrast, good colour and sharpness. Not too much contrast or hyper colours. Accurate AF at both MFD and infinity and I need the out of focus rendering to be smooth and unfussy (eg 50L not 50 1.4). I need it small and light and not intimidating to my subject. Close Min focus is ideal but not essential, most portraits are around the 1 metre mark. If I need this lens for landscapes or studio, I expect the vignetting to go and the corners to shapen up and even up across the frame as I stop down.

Very few photographers actually need sharp corners wide open. Unfortunatly, twee lens review sites tell uninformed people that they do. There are photographers who shoot only lens charts and like twiddling their moustaches....apparently they consider themselves "experts" although they often don't seem to have the matching photos :D

Not to say that you need anything fancy to take really nice photos. You can have fun and take nice shots of certain things with just a simple body and a single cheap lens.

(otoh use that at the super bowl and you may never return again)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #102 on: October 08, 2013, 09:49:03 PM »

LetTheRightLensIn

« Reply #103 on: October 08, 2013, 09:51:10 PM »

"roughly f4" ? I think it's actually f2.5.

not realistically. shoot an f/2.8 lens and it makes a HUGE zone appear to be in focus and it's not easy at all
realistically I'd call it closer to f/5.6 to be honest terms of how well you can use it, especially if you don't take 10 minutes to rock back and forth to it

nehemiah

• PowerShot G1 X II
« Reply #104 on: October 09, 2013, 02:41:18 AM »

i see nothing you could not do with a cheaper 50mm 1.4.

I don't know.  Lloyd Chambers says that this lens (after shooting with it, and I quote), "without doubt the finest lens ever produced for a SLR or DSLR . . . It sets a new benchmark".

But Lichtgestalt says he can do it with a 50 1.4.  So I don't know.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #104 on: October 09, 2013, 02:41:18 AM »