December 21, 2014, 01:25:36 PM

Author Topic: Nikon D610 yes D600 minor upgrade!  (Read 9757 times)

GMCPhotographics

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • GMCPhotographics
Re: Nikon D610 yes D600 minor upgrade!
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2013, 08:47:41 AM »
Nikon really dropped the ball with the D800 and D600. Canon have really picked up their game with the 1Dx, 5DIII and 6D. The new 610 specs look very much like a feature plugged responce to the 5DIII and 6D.
For my wedding work, the 5DIII's quiet mode shutter is a game changer. It's good to see Nikon finally catching up with this, as usual a little late to the party. Hello cmos, hello full frame, hello live view, hello movie mode...and now hello quiet shutter mode.

It's not good that a camera in this price bracket and feature bracket has needed a warm over so quickly, but I guess that's a responce from the disasterous sales issues. How long will Nikon owners put up with this type of customer care or poor product development. The lack of silent mode is quite a biggie in the post 5DIII world.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2013, 08:47:41 AM »

Lichtgestalt

« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2013, 09:15:22 AM »
Nikon really dropped the ball with the D800 and D600. Canon have really picked up their game with the 1Dx, 5DIII and 6D. The new 610 specs look very much like a feature plugged responce to the 5DIII and 6D.
For my wedding work, the 5DIII's quiet mode shutter is a game changer. It's good to see Nikon finally catching up with this, as usual a little late to the party. Hello cmos, hello full frame, hello live view, hello movie mode...and now hello quiet shutter mode.

It's not good that a camera in this price bracket and feature bracket has needed a warm over so quickly, but I guess that's a responce from the disasterous sales issues. How long will Nikon owners put up with this type of customer care or poor product development. The lack of silent mode is quite a biggie in the post 5DIII world.

a shutter has to sound like a shutter. ;)

Al Bundy's Ferguson

dshipley

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2013, 09:46:34 AM »

1st DSLR with "live preview" - Olympus E-10
1st DSLR with video recording - Nikon D90

All of the brands have their good and bad. A few that come to mind quickly for Canon...

• RGB color metering - The 1DX finally has it... Nikon has been doing this in all of their cameras since the late 1990s.
• Spot meter via selected AF point - Only in the 1D series... Nikon allows this in all of their bodies.

At the moment Nikon and Canon both produce products that are so closely matched it really is more a matter of photographer preference.
5DIII w/ BG-E11
16-35 f/4 L IS, 35L, 50L, 85 1.8, 135L
(2) Einstein e640 w/ CC & CST

Rienzphotoz

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2013, 09:54:39 AM »
Nikon is making a habit of 5h!tting on their customers ... first it was the SB900 and now the D600 ... they kept denying any problem with oily sensors, until majority of their D600 customers started making noise about it ... D610 is NOT an upgrade, it is just a D600 (hopefully) without the oily sensor ... I wonder what kind of lame a55 quality control do they have at Nikon these days. I had considered buying the D600 but I changed my mind and got the D7100.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 09:56:28 AM by Rienzphotoz »
Canon 5DMK3 70D | Nikon D610 | Sony a7 a6000 | RX100M3 | 16-35/2.8LII | 70-200/2.8LISII | 100/2.8LIS | 100-400LIS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 600EX-RTx2 | ST-E3-RT | 24/3.5 T-S | 10-18/4 OSS 16-50 | 24-70/4OSS | 55/1.8 | 55-210 OSS | 70-200/4 OSS | 28-300VR | HVL-F43M | GoPro Black 3+ & DJI Phantom

Lichtgestalt

« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2013, 10:05:16 AM »
Nikon is making a habit of 5h!tting on their customers ... first it was the SB900 and now the D600 ... they kept denying any problem with oily sensors, until majority of their D600 customers started making noise about it ... D610 is NOT an upgrade, it is just a D600 (hopefully) without the oily sensor ... I wonder what kind of lame a55 quality control do they have at Nikon these days. I had considered buying the D600 but I changed my mind and got the D7100.

they should have done the same as with the D5000. recall the D600.

MK5GTI

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2013, 10:12:47 AM »

• RGB color metering - The 1DX finally has it... Nikon has been doing this in all of their cameras since the late 1990s.
• Spot meter via selected AF point - Only in the 1D series... Nikon allows this in all of their bodies.

isn't it 7D is the first color metering? iFCL?
http://cpn.canon-europe.com/content/education/infobank/exposure_settings/iFCL_metering.do

i agree with spot metering, even the lowest D3200 has it, but i just love my Canon EOS 3 film camera that can link AF points with spot metering.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2013, 10:20:11 AM »
isn't it 7D is the first color metering? iFCL?
http://cpn.canon-europe.com/content/education/infobank/exposure_settings/iFCL_metering.do

i agree with spot metering, even the lowest D3200 has it, but i just love my Canon EOS 3 film camera that can link AF points with spot metering.

The 7D's iFCL metering sensor is sensitive to two (broad and overlapping) color channels, it's not true RGB metering. 
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2013, 10:20:11 AM »

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ... on superhero vacation!
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2013, 11:13:19 AM »

I like my 6d for this reason with its very consistent featue set - it has just one usable af point, so no worries about such posh features like spot linking to af point 8-o

dilbert

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2013, 07:51:41 PM »
Er, I think you need to check your dates.

+1  It's always amusing when people don't check their facts before posting...more so when it's a pattern.

The analogy of the 1DIII is an interesting choice, since Canon recalled them for the AF fix - a very direct way to deal with a known issue, rather than offering a 'upgrade' as a fix.

Except that the "fix" never really fixed the problem completely.

http://www.robgalbraith.com/multi_pageb10a.html?cid=7-8740-9068-10086

Woody

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2013, 08:31:11 PM »

So says Rob Galbraith... who has since then retired into anonymity.

Also, Canon at least had the courage to own up to the problem. Nikon, on the other hand, has never really fessed up to their issues.

"The sad thing is that this isn't the first time Nikon's been unable to fess up to a problem. This is now endemic with them. As Michael Johnston at Online Photographer points out, this sort of problem denial goes way back into the film days for Nikon..." - http://www.dslrbodies.com/newsviews/the-early-nikon-d610-headli.html (Thom Hogan, a loyal Nikon supporter)

privatebydesign

• Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2013, 08:33:14 PM »

+1  It's always amusing when people don't check their facts before posting...more so when it's a pattern.

The analogy of the 1DIII is an interesting choice, since Canon recalled them for the AF fix - a very direct way to deal with a known issue, rather than offering a 'upgrade' as a fix.

Well it kinda depends, the whole situation was a mess and there is no denying some cameras did suffer some AF issues in some situations, however, there are an awful lot of people who used and still use the 1D MkIII and have never had AF issues, that was the thing that took so much fixing. A noticeable issue across every camera is comparatively easy to fix, a consistent issue among some cameras is also a relatively easy forensic diagnosis and repair, but an inconsistent issue among some cameras is devilishly difficult to fix. And it isn't like Canon didn't try.

Canon sent a team of technicians to Canada to work with Galbraith because they couldn't get repeatable results that matched Galbraith's in Japan, they spent a lot of time money and effort trying to get consistency in the failure and even Galbraith himself admitted they had done so much testing they believed they had lost sight of any issue and were going in circles. Canon lost hope in his methodology and recalled their team, he kept badmouthing them and lost a lot of goodwill from Canon (as did Andy Rouse in the UK, who very publicly trashed Canon and moved to Nikon, subsequently he used the 1Dx and MkII teles and is a Canon shooter again, but he didn't get involved in the politics this time and made his swap with a much lower profile), of course Galbraith did what so many people who upset the statu quo do, he sidestepped his profession and became a teacher.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2013, 11:12:31 PM »

Well it kinda depends, the whole situation was a mess and there is no denying some cameras did suffer some AF issues in some situations, however, there are an awful lot of people who used and still use the 1D MkIII and have never had AF issues, that was the thing that took so much fixing. A noticeable issue across every camera is comparatively easy to fix, a consistent issue among some cameras is also a relatively easy forensic diagnosis and repair, but an inconsistent issue among some cameras is devilishly difficult to fix. And it isn't like Canon didn't try.

Canon sent a team of technicians to Canada to work with Galbraith because they couldn't get repeatable results that matched Galbraith's in Japan, they spent a lot of time money and effort trying to get consistency in the failure and even Galbraith himself admitted they had done so much testing they believed they had lost sight of any issue and were going in circles. Canon lost hope in his methodology and recalled their team, he kept badmouthing them and lost a lot of goodwill from Canon (as did Andy Rouse in the UK, who very publicly trashed Canon and moved to Nikon, subsequently he used the 1Dx and MkII teles and is a Canon shooter again, but he didn't get involved in the politics this time and made his swap with a much lower profile), of course Galbraith did what so many people who upset the statu quo do, he sidestepped his profession and became a teacher.

More facts for dilbert to ponder...
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

dilbert

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2013, 12:57:40 AM »

Canon sent a team of technicians to Canada to work with Galbraith because they couldn't get repeatable results that matched Galbraith's in Japan, they spent a lot of time money and effort trying to get consistency in the failure and even Galbraith himself admitted they had done so much testing they believed they had lost sight of any issue and were going in circles. Canon lost hope in his methodology and recalled their team, he kept badmouthing them and lost a lot of goodwill from Canon (as did Andy Rouse in the UK, who very publicly trashed Canon and moved to Nikon, subsequently he used the 1Dx and MkII teles and is a Canon shooter again, but he didn't get involved in the politics this time and made his swap with a much lower profile), of course Galbraith did what so many people who upset the status quo do, he sidestepped his profession and became a teacher.

I never read about the "they spent a lot of time" and onwards part before. Where did that get documented?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2013, 12:57:40 AM »

privatebydesign

• Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2013, 11:43:16 AM »

I never read about the "they spent a lot of time" and onwards part before. Where did that get documented?

It was all Galbraith's writing on his own site, it is conspicuously absent from the 1D MkIII chronology you link to though. On rereading his posts it seems several situations have been "revised".

I was particularly interested in the situation at the time with respect to the 1Ds MkIII AF and followed everything written very closely, I had his RSS until he gave it up last year. I subsequently bought into the 1Ds MkIII and although I rarely use Servo AF I am very happy with the camera. It is certainly vastly better than the other FF option at the time, the 5D !

Woody

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2013, 12:26:12 PM »

You'll need to comb through Rob Galbraith's website: his long series of articles on 1D Mark III AF, various preludes to aforementioned articles as well as his criticism of Canon's offerings after the 1D Mark III. The info is all there.

Ultimately, like what others have pointed out, why do you think Rob Galbraith finally had to quit his job?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2013, 12:26:12 PM »