August 01, 2014, 09:17:02 PM

Author Topic: Where is the Canon 7D successor?  (Read 5342 times)

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: Where is the Canon 7D successor?
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2013, 03:39:23 PM »
I am really surprised Canon has not released the successor to the 7D yet.... its certainly time.
A lot of it depends on having a big enough of a upgrade to attract sales.  A high end camera does not always get a lot of sales, so there needs to be something that will attract upgraders.  The cost to produce 7D's has likely dropped over the years to a very low level, so as long as they are selling, and money is tight, why invest millions on new tooling and production line setup only to have less profit?

At some point, all the stars will align and we'll see a new body, D400 or not.  I'm expecting it in a year or less.  The demand for video with fast autofocus in a more capable stills body might just be the kick that's needed.  Canon has some patents released in the past year aimed at greatly improving video capability in terms of fps speed of sensors.  There are some limitations in the current tech that Canon uses which can be greatly improved on.  I suspect that since the dual pixel tech has been successful, this means that they can work on the other issues now.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2013, 03:39:23 PM »

pj1974

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • A selection of my photos (copyright)
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2013, 05:51:46 PM »
So in the last two years Canon comes out with touchscreens, WiFi controls, and Dual-pixel technology.... and at the same time they say that the 7D2 will be revolutionary.... that's got to mean something more than a slightly better 70D. What if the 7D2 is mirrorless and they are still trying to get the EVF up to snuff... or some equally impressive jump in technology? What if they are alternating vertical and horizontal on the dual-pixels and haven't got it quite right yet... What if they are ISO splitting the dual pixels for increased DR....

I am much happier waiting for a true jump in features in a 7D2 than having one rushed to market with laughable "upgrades".... like going from a T4i to a T5i with a mode dial that spins all the way around... I'm sure they could introduce a 7D2 now that was barely better than a 70D, but I am patient enough to wait for a real upgrade.

+1

This!  Yes, I'm very happy with my 7D - and find the more I use it (even after tens of thousands of photos) - the more skilled I become (yet I can still improve in areas too).

I saw Canon's recent release of the 70D as very promising for the 7DmkII - a real upgrade (as the 70D was to the 60D).   ;)

Don, I can't recall reading that Canon has stated the 7DmkII will be 'revolutionary' (but if you can source a publication from them, please do share!)

Exciting times ahead... I'd be happy with improved IQ, improved AF, maybe a mirrorless (still compatible with EF-S lenses, though). Enjoy photography folks!

Paul  8)
I'm not a brand-fanatic. What I do appreciate is using my 7D and 350D cameras along with a host of lenses & many accessories to capture quality photos, and share with friends.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2013, 06:59:31 PM »
...I can't recall reading that Canon has stated the 7DmkII will be 'revolutionary' (but if you can source a publication from them, please do share!)

It was from an interview with Maeda.

http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/interview/20130124_584693.html

Here's the (English) coverage on CR:

http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=12718.0
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

dilbert

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2013, 08:16:55 PM »
...I can't recall reading that Canon has stated the 7DmkII will be 'revolutionary' (but if you can source a publication from them, please do share!)

It was from an interview with Maeda.

http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/interview/20130124_584693.html

Here's the (English) coverage on CR:

http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=12718.0

The English translation of that interview presented does not mention the word "revolutionary". It also doesn't say that there will be any new technologies, only that it will have innovative technologies, which could be a reference to the Dual Pixel PDAF, amongst others.

Is there another interview where someone from Canon uses the word "revolutionary" with respect to technology that will be in the 7D2?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2013, 08:16:55 PM »