May 26, 2018, 12:46:15 AM

Author Topic: EOS 7D Mark II Talk [CR1]  (Read 75087 times)

ajfotofilmagem

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
Re: EOS 7D Mark II Talk [CR1]
« Reply #105 on: October 14, 2013, 08:15:42 AM »
The real fact is that EXMOR sensor has better DR up to ISO 400, and will match DR from ISO 800. I need the best possible image at ISO 1600 and above. I am satisfied with low ISO Canon, although current 7D needs a major improvement in this area with his successor.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 08:22:39 AM by ajfotofilmagem »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #105 on: October 14, 2013, 08:15:42 AM »

ajfotofilmagem

« Reply #106 on: October 14, 2013, 08:45:41 AM »
The real fact is that EXMOR sensor has better DR up to ISO 400, and will match DR from ISO 800. I need the best possible image at ISO 1600 and above. I am satisfied with low ISO Canon, although current 7D needs a major improvement in this area with his successor.

Then Canon  must have a goal  which is to improve theirs APS sensors to meet Toshiba and Sonys APS-C high iso reproduction and resolution
With all due respect, I disagree with the arguments you present. Everyone who saw images of the real world know that D7100 has noticeably better image than D5200 in all aspects, but DXO says otherwise. I will not even address the issues about how DXO is biased with different camera brands. Yes, 7D is already old lady and her replacement will be much better in noise and DR. Meanwhile 70D showed timid advances in these areas. But I tell you that even so I would choose 70D over D7100 because their images are more natural and pleasant at ISO 1600 and above for my look. If I wanted to shoot primarily at ISO 100, this time I could choose Nikon, but I do not remember when was the last time I used ISO 100 on a job.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
« Reply #107 on: October 14, 2013, 09:28:22 AM »
This is an urban legend, of course you can make a waterproof swivel screen, man has been to the moon.

Sure, one can be made.  Panasonic's ToughBook convertible tablet has a water/dust resistant swivel display.  The real question is, can Canon make a swivel LCD water resistant and robust enough with consideration for impact on production cost and/or sale price?

Then Canon  must have a goal  which is to improve theirs APS sensors to meet Toshiba and Sonys APS-C high iso reproduction and resolution.

Why? 

Canon's real goal is to sell cameras, and to sell more cameras than the competition.  Despite being 'behind' in sensor performance compared to Exmor sensors for the past several APS-C dSLR generations, Canon continues to outsell Nikon (and Sony remains a niche player).  What lesson can Canon learn from this?  That the performance of Canon's internally-produced sensors is good enough to support market leading sales.  As the saying goes, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
EOS 1D X, EOS M6, lots of lenses

ajfotofilmagem

« Reply #108 on: October 14, 2013, 09:34:38 AM »

Then Canon  must have a goal  which is to improve theirs APS sensors to meet Toshiba and Sonys APS-C high iso reproduction and resolution
With all due respect, I disagree with the arguments you present. Everyone who saw images of the real world know that D7100 has noticeably better image than D5200 in all aspects, but DXO says otherwise. I will not even address the issues about how DXO is biased with different camera brands. Yes, 7D is already old lady and her replacement will be much better in noise and DR. Meanwhile 70D showed timid advances in these areas. But I tell you that even so I would choose 70D over D7100 because their images are more natural and pleasant at ISO 1600 and above for my look. If I wanted to shoot primarily at ISO 100, this time I could choose Nikon, but I do not remember when was the last time I used ISO 100 on a job.

Do they, say otherwise, DXO  ??
My statements was, more pixels are not bad for anything, regardless we are discussing DR, high iso
In the case of ISO 100, more pixel means better sharpness. When it comes to ISO 6400 and above, even DXO  and their "mysterious" scores not say that more pixels mean better noise and DR.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 10:30:35 AM by ajfotofilmagem »

ajfotofilmagem

« Reply #109 on: October 14, 2013, 09:48:21 AM »
This is an urban legend, of course you can make a waterproof swivel screen, man has been to the moon.

Sure, one can be made.  Panasonic's ToughBook convertible tablet has a water/dust resistant swivel display.  The real question is, can Canon make a swivel LCD water resistant and robust enough with consideration for impact on production cost and/or sale price?

Then Canon  must have a goal  which is to improve theirs APS sensors to meet Toshiba and Sonys APS-C high iso reproduction and resolution.

Why? 

Canon's real goal is to sell cameras, and to sell more cameras than the competition.  Despite being 'behind' in sensor performance compared to Exmor sensors for the past several APS-C dSLR generations, Canon continues to outsell Nikon (and Sony remains a niche player).  What lesson can Canon learn from this?  That the performance of Canon's internally-produced sensors is good enough to support market leading sales.  As the saying goes, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

it sounds like Nokia here in Finland, we all knows what happens when they are not up to date
It seems that Nokia has the best camera sensor with 41 megapixel. Only because of that, they will dominate the mobile phone market? If you depend on DXO MARK, Nokia Lumia 1020 should score higher than a Canon Rebel, but I do not give a damn about DXO MARK.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 10:28:54 AM by ajfotofilmagem »

AvTvM

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #110 on: October 14, 2013, 11:37:15 AM »
it sounds like Nokia here in Finland, we all knows what happens when they are not up to date

+100!

I will definitely skip the Canon 7D II ... irrespective of when Canon finally releases it and what its specs may be.

Compact, affordable FF-sensored mirrorless digital cameras are almost here. Not from Canon though ... oO :-)
http://www.+++++++++++.com/sr5-hot-first-full-size-images-of-the-a7-and-a7r-cameras-with-lenses/

mkabi

• EOS 7D Mark II
« Reply #111 on: October 14, 2013, 02:10:28 PM »
Not going to happen... destroys the purpose of indestructibility and weatherproofing.
If you have the swivel open and you drop the DSLR, its going to break.
Too many creases between the swivel parts that make it less waterproof.

And the "it might break if open" is like "you must not use a flash on a hotshoe, it will break if dropped" or "only use p&s with retractable lens, a lens on a dslr will break"... the swivel screen only on the 60d/70d and not on 7d is because 7d is older, and might not on 7d2 because of product differentiation and people believe this legend. Furthermore, you'll usually use the swivel screen when on tripod, and it makes a great screen *protector* when turned inwards.

Yes, and we have figured out how to travel through time too. I mean... man has been to the moon back in 1969, its been 44 years since then.... I'm sure the time machine was discovered, what 3 years later? And, what about those flying cars.... I own like 3 of those... I transformed my DeLorean into a flying time machine.

External flash are add-ons, have you seen a magnesium alloy flash? They know that it will break.... thats why they are made of plastic.

Even lenses are add-ons too.... some more durable than others.... you can't compare a 50 1.8 II vs 50 1.4 vs 50 1.2.... which do you think will break after one drop, after multiple drops, etc.?

Ultimately, you have to ask the question... why magnesium alloy body? Or waterproofing?
Why does anyone need that crap? The majority are cheapos that want everything for as little as possible and if the majority doesn't need magnesium alloy or waterproofing because they are going to use it indoors away from water and pools, and they aren't in the middle of a war or anything... it should be alright, right?
Do we serve the majority or the minority? Lets say 10% is the minority and the other 90% is the majority.
So product differentiation came along to help address these issues.
Bah...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #111 on: October 14, 2013, 02:10:28 PM »

Don Haines

• Canon EF 800mm f/5.6L IS
  • posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
« Reply #112 on: October 14, 2013, 02:43:16 PM »

And the "it might break if open" is like "you must not use a flash on a hotshoe, it will break if dropped"

Actually..... The base of a flash is designed to break off if too much stress is placed on it.... this is to protect the camera's hotshoe. I have not done this myself, but if you mount a large lens on the camera and try to pick it up by the flash, the base of the flash will break off.... too much stress...
The best camera is the one in your hands

Marsu42

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
  • Canon Pride.
    • Der Tierfotograf
« Reply #113 on: October 14, 2013, 03:43:03 PM »
Ultimately, you have to ask the question... why magnesium alloy body? Or waterproofing?

Why indeed? A full-lmag body is more likely to crack if dropped than a more flexible plastic body which will bonce, at least that's what I've heard on CR from people having dropped both... and I can also state that the "plastic" 60d is surprisingly sturdy, if anything will break it'll be the lens or a lcd, swivel or not...

... and waterproofing: No eos camera is waterproof, try diving with a 1dx. It's just different levels of water resistance, and I'm sure before a well built swivel screen breaks the water has leaked into the camera in different places. Today I left my 6d at home to shoot mushroom macros, because the 60d has a swivel screen and I'd rather loose a bit of iq @iso100 than lie in the mud looking at the display for the whole day.

ajfotofilmagem

« Reply #114 on: October 14, 2013, 03:49:01 PM »

Why? 

It seems that Nokia has the best camera sensor with 41 megapixel. Only because of that, they will dominate the mobile phone market? If you depend on DXO MARK, Nokia Lumia 1020 should score higher than a Canon Rebel, but I do not give a damn about DXO MARK.

I do not understand your argument, Nokia produces no own sensors, Canon does and they are behind in the competision
Nikon also does not manufacture the sensors from their cameras, but I must admit that they offer great quality at low ISO. That does not change the fact that at high ISO, Nikon does not have the same advantage. In fact the image quality depends on the set =sensor+electronic circuits+signal processing+lens. It turns out that the set mentioned above has advantages at the white side of the force (Canon) at least ISO 1600 or higher.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 05:20:37 PM by ajfotofilmagem »

unfocused

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • Mark Gordon Communications
« Reply #115 on: October 14, 2013, 04:28:55 PM »
...Canon's real goal is to sell cameras, and to sell more cameras than the competition.  Despite being 'behind' in sensor performance compared to Exmor sensors for the past several APS-C dSLR generations, Canon continues to outsell Nikon (and Sony remains a niche player).  What lesson can Canon learn from this?  That the performance of Canon's internally-produced sensors is good enough to support market leading sales.  As the saying goes, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

This is something gearheads never understand. "Best" almost never wins in the marketplace. "Good enough" almost always wins. The iPhone isn't the best smartphone, but it's good enough. Windows wasn't the best operating system, but it was good enough. VHS wasn't the best video technology, but it was good enough. The gasoline-powered internal combustion engine wasn't the best engine, but it was good enough. The list goes on and on.

Heck, Canon was never the "best." When I bought my Canon F1 in the 1970s, it wasn't the best camera system. Among SLRs Nikon was considered the best and among 35mm cameras generally, Leica was the best. But, through shrewd marketing and perseverance, Canon overcame it's competitors and became the market leader.  Superiority for the sake of superiority has never been Canon's objective. They grew to market dominance by providing a "good enough" system that balances cost and quality. Don't expect them to abandon that winning strategy just because gear geeks are upset about an irrelevant, marginal difference in lab tests.

Don Haines

• Canon EF 800mm f/5.6L IS
  • posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
« Reply #116 on: October 14, 2013, 06:05:38 PM »
...Canon's real goal is to sell cameras, and to sell more cameras than the competition.  Despite being 'behind' in sensor performance compared to Exmor sensors for the past several APS-C dSLR generations, Canon continues to outsell Nikon (and Sony remains a niche player).  What lesson can Canon learn from this?  That the performance of Canon's internally-produced sensors is good enough to support market leading sales.  As the saying goes, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

This is something gearheads never understand. "Best" almost never wins in the marketplace. "Good enough" almost always wins. The iPhone isn't the best smartphone, but it's good enough. Windows wasn't the best operating system, but it was good enough. VHS wasn't the best video technology, but it was good enough. The gasoline-powered internal combustion engine wasn't the best engine, but it was good enough. The list goes on and on.

Heck, Canon was never the "best." When I bought my Canon F1 in the 1970s, it wasn't the best camera system. Among SLRs Nikon was considered the best and among 35mm cameras generally, Leica was the best. But, through shrewd marketing and perseverance, Canon overcame it's competitors and became the market leader.  Superiority for the sake of superiority has never been Canon's objective. They grew to market dominance by providing a "good enough" system that balances cost and quality. Don't expect them to abandon that winning strategy just because gear geeks are upset about an irrelevant, marginal difference in lab tests.
+1
"The best" rarely gets purchased... "The best that I can afford" and "this meets my needs" are the two big sellers... That's why there are a lot more 5D's out there than 1DX's and that's why Rebels outsell the rest of the Canon DSLR lineup...
The best camera is the one in your hands

9VIII

• EOS-1D X Mark II
« Reply #117 on: October 14, 2013, 10:32:25 PM »
While the original foundation of the company was (is?) to copy the best and make it affordable, I think the recent (20ish years) dominance of Canon is due to their focus on the interaction between the user and the camera.
It has been said that their success, even to this day, is largely due to the fast and wholesale adoption of autofocus in the early 90's; a feature that doesn't change the quality of the image at all, it just gets the camera to do something for you.
Under ideal conditions Image Stabilization doesn't have any affect on the image either, and Digital was actually detrimental to image quality for a while, but highly desirable from the user end. Now look at dual pixel AF, they could have done a bunch of different things with extra pixels, but of all those things they chose to use them to improve live view, what on this forum is usually considered to be a fairly obscure function.

The bottom line really is a fine line between high end and mass appeal though.
When I purchased my first camera in 2006 (a high end point and shoot), my decision process was a mixture of common opinion, personal experience, and Canon had to have the right product at the right price.
In the past family members had owned Canon products, and they were good. I knew Canon was largely regarded as a top camera maker, and they had a camera with a long optical zoom for under $400.
Really, the product itself was only a small fraction of the equation. Before you can sell something to someone, they have to know about you, like you, and agree to your price.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #117 on: October 14, 2013, 10:32:25 PM »

Marsu42

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
  • Canon Pride.
    • Der Tierfotograf
« Reply #118 on: October 15, 2013, 01:52:07 AM »
"The best" rarely gets purchased... "The best that I can afford" and "this meets my needs" are the two big sellers...

Imho the better part would be "The most expensive I can afford" rather than "this meets my needs" as Canon's marketing is extremely clever at giving customers means to rationalize spending a hellish amount of money for equipment that exceeds their needs or ability. Canon's whole lineup is designed for upselling with producing nice cameras/lenses, but still leaving out enough to annoy you and let you wish for the next best thing (usually L lenses or at least a 5d3)...

regnwaldo

• PowerShot G7 X Mark II
« Reply #119 on: October 15, 2013, 07:54:53 PM »
For video - faster tracking of focus is needed than the 70D, although auto focus on video can be a curse.

My objection to the 70D is the defective processing of hand held shots. Canon does something TOO smart. This is one of a hundred or so pics using 500mm hand held 1/750 sec with defective bg, I suspect image stabilization software.  ALL of them with bg foliage 'streaking' from top right to bottom left. The honeyeater was photographed  using a 5D Mk II in the same fashion with NEVER such a problem.

So, heaven help the 7D Mk II dreamers.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #119 on: October 15, 2013, 07:54:53 PM »