April 17, 2014, 09:55:45 PM

Author Topic: EOS 7D Mark II Talk [CR1]  (Read 19704 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
EOS 7D Mark II Talk [CR1]
« on: October 08, 2013, 10:19:16 PM »

Canon EOS 7D Mark II

We’ve heard a bit of talk recently about the follow-up to the EOS 7D. The same sort of time frame is still mentioned, an announcement in Q2 of 2014.

One suggestion is the 7D Mark II will become a bit more video oriented. So beyond a “pro” APS-C camera, it will also be highly desirable for the videographer. The camera as such will also retail well above the EOS 70D.

We’re also told any follow-up to the EOS 7D will get a new sensor and not use the 20.2mp sensor that is found in the EOS 70D.

cr

canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

EOS 7D Mark II Talk [CR1]
« on: October 08, 2013, 10:19:16 PM »

trulandphoto

• PowerShot G16
  • Upstate NY attorney and photographer
    • View Profile
    • TrulandPhoto
Re: EOS 7D Mark II Talk [CR1]
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2013, 10:23:18 PM »
I, for one, am a bit tired of my bodies being "video oriented". My 5DII, 7D and 60D have not shot a second of video. I guess I'll just have to hang on to them until the pendulum swings a bit in the other direction.

-Jarred-

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2013, 10:30:14 PM »
Yeah I don't use the video function on mine. But, as long as they don't compromise stills features in favour of video it doesn't bother me. Show me an improvement in ISO perf, a healthy burst and an upgrade to the focus system and I'll be sold.
5DIII | 24-70mm f/2.8L | 70-200mm f/2.8L

9VIII

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2013, 10:37:58 PM »
I for one don't mind having the dual functionality.

Now that we're not being told to expect the 70D sensor I've got my hopes back up for something with higher resolution. 32MP would be awesome as long as they keep the buffer up to 15 shots+ on full RAW.

Lee Jay

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2013, 10:42:48 PM »
What could you add to the 70D to make it more video oriented?

Hybrid EVF/OVF viewfinder?
Faster frame rates below 1080p?
Higher resolution (4k)?
Smooth digital video zoom from full-frame to 1:1?
Quad pixel for 4-way AF sensors on every pixel?
Some sort of power zoom lens system?

Lee Jay

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2013, 10:44:20 PM »
I for one don't mind having the dual functionality.

Now that we're not being told to expect the 70D sensor I've got my hopes back up for something with higher resolution. 32MP would be awesome as long as they keep the buffer up to 15 shots+ on full RAW.

I want a minimum 3 second raw buffer at maximum frame rate, preferably more.

Mt Spokane Photography

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2013, 10:46:44 PM »
I might use video more if autofocus worked well. 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2013, 10:46:44 PM »

unfocused

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2013, 10:52:52 PM »

Higher resolution (4k)?

I read it as more video oriented than the 7D, not necessarily more video oriented than the 70D.

Second quarter of 2014? Hmm. Seems like a long time between major announcements. That would coincide with Photokina though. Now, do it wait or do I go for a 6D in the meantime? Decisions...Decisions.

I know Canon would like me to buy both. Very clever on their part.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

AprilForever

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • AprilForever.com
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2013, 12:02:11 AM »
I, for one, am a bit tired of my bodies being "video oriented". My 5DII, 7D and 60D have not shot a second of video. I guess I'll just have to hang on to them until the pendulum swings a bit in the other direction.

I likewise am fed totally up with video. I want a stills optomized camera. I don't care about video.

However, I am sure that they are working on a new sensor for the 7D mk II. The 70D sensor will go for the XXXDs for a while and likely also the M-2....

Focus the camera on stills improvement and I will be happy. I want better AF, better build quality, and and at least two stops of improvement in ISO performance.

Video I don't care a rat for.
What is truth?

serendipidy

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2013, 12:26:28 AM »

I likewise am fed totally up with video. I want a stills optomized camera. I don't care about video.

However, I am sure that they are working on a new sensor for the 7D mk II. The 70D sensor will go for the XXXDs for a while and likely also the M-2....

Focus the camera on stills improvement and I will be happy. I want better AF, better build quality, and and at least two stops of improvement in ISO performance.

Video I don't care a rat for.

+1...never use it.
EOS 5D miii, EOS 7D, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS ii, 100-400mmL IS

Harry Muff

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr:
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2013, 12:58:08 AM »
Add me to the list of people sick of paying all that extra cash for a function I don't want.

Love my 5D3, don't care about video.
Some cameras… With Canon written on them. Oh, and some lenses… Also with Canon written on them. Oh, and a shiny camera with Fuji written on it too...

Feel free to have a wander round my flickr

LetTheRightLensIn

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2013, 01:43:57 AM »

Higher resolution (4k)?

A ton! No line skipping for FAR less aliasing and moire and better SNR. Focus peaking, live 10x focus box, RAW video recording, non-mangled up compressed video/HDMI out video, zebras, zoomed modes including 1:1, 4k, etc. etc.

I know it's popular if you are a still shooter to laugh off video, but seriously why not expand your creativity to new world. 5D3 ML RAW video is pretty stunning! Some things work better as video, just as some work better as stills and many work equally as well.

mps

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2013, 02:00:51 AM »

Higher resolution (4k)?

- fixed moire / aliasing issues
- better codec
- faster framerates AT 1080p. 240fps like on the fs700 is possible and would be a HUGE selling point
- no need for 4k - and for sure will not be there - who else would then buy the 12k 1DC?
- no need for digital zoom, but a 1:1 mode like on the gh2 would be nice to see
- clean hdmi out
- zebra / focus peaking
- basically a pre installed magic lantern :D
- a quote from another website: "the first who dares to implement 10bit 4:2:2 will win this game" - but i highly doubt this one will come from sony/canon/panasonics - maybe nikon will surprise us someday? after all they wouldnt kill their professional video lineup (since they dont have one)
- not sure if its is possible to build a hybrid viewfinder on a dslr, but would be nice to see.... otherwise maybe a fixed metal frame at the screen to place these aftermarkets LCDVFs onto? not many people like to glue it on afterwards....

some of you dont need a videofunction?  well, others do. for every hour of footage i take 1 photo with my (well, my company's) 7d. hm, only kind of true since we timelapse quite a bit - but this does count more as filming than taking photos, right? so actually there are some folks out there really wanting a video dslr :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2013, 02:00:51 AM »

Sella174

• 6D
  • So there!
    • View Profile
    • Photographing the Southern Cape.
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2013, 02:25:55 AM »
How about the 7D Mark II being basically a 70D, but with a sensor which starts with ISO 800 ... meaning it has an optimised, high-ISO sensor designed for high-speed and low-light photography.
Sold most of my Canon gear ... here's what's left: EOS 30D (x2), EF 24mm f/2.8, EF Compact-Macro 50mm f/2.5, EF 70-200mm f/4L USM.

AvTvM

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2013, 02:28:09 AM »
The more "video-oriented" Canon makes their cameras, the less likely i am going to buy them.
Canon read my lips: I have never captured video, i have no desire to capture video, i will never capture video. And if I were interested in capturing video, i would use a video cam. You want me to buy a new camera from you? Make it stills- optimized. Make the camera small. Make it mirrorless. Make the sensor larger ... Yes, 36x24 mm will be fine. Make it something that makes it easier and more likely for me to capture those still images i would like to capture.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2013, 02:28:09 AM »