April 19, 2014, 12:33:41 AM

Author Topic: Zeiss Otus 55 f/1.4 APO-Distagon Review by B&H Photo  (Read 12048 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
Zeiss Otus 55 f/1.4 APO-Distagon Review by B&H Photo
« on: October 08, 2013, 10:25:34 PM »

From B&H Photo

B&H Photo has posted a quick review by Lloyd Chambers of the highly anticipated Zeiss Otus 55mm f/1.4 APO-Distagon lens. People are expecting this lens to set a new standard in SLR lens performance.

Says Lloyd

“Photographers looking for the very best in imaging quality need look no further. When everything is considered, the Zeiss Otus 55mm f/1.4 APO-Distagon is without a doubt the finest lens ever produced for a 35mm SLR or DSLR (or rangefinder). It sets a new benchmark.

The Otus 55mm f/1.4 APO-Distagon on a high-resolution DSLR makes a strong challenge to medium format on total imaging quality (not just resolution). Moreover, in resolution terms, the 55mm f/1.4 has ample reserves for a future 60/70/80-megapixel DSLR.”

Zeiss Otus 55 f/1.4 APO-Distagon $3999 | Read Full Review

cr

canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

Zeiss Otus 55 f/1.4 APO-Distagon Review by B&H Photo
« on: October 08, 2013, 10:25:34 PM »

dilbert

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Re: Zeiss Otus 55 f/1.4 APO-Distagon Review by B&H Photo
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2013, 10:35:35 PM »
Look, the reviewer obviously hasn't read the commentary on this website regarding the lens because quite clearly, without autofocus, this lens is not worth $4000 and nobody will buy it without autofocus, even if it is the sharpest lens since the big bang.

Daniel Flather

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2013, 10:44:18 PM »
Look, the reviewer obviously hasn't read the commentary on this website regarding the lens because quite clearly, without autofocus, this lens is not worth $4000 and nobody will buy it without autofocus, even if it is the sharpest lens since the big bang.

True, but to get the most from a lens like this it needs to be on a tripod, lessening the need for auto focus.  Now, I'd love to own a copy with AF for under $2000, but I'm not holding my breath waiting for that.
| 5D3 | 8-15L | 24L II | 35L | 50L | 85L II | 100 macro | 200/2L | EOS M | 22 STM |

Radiating

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2013, 11:47:12 PM »

Manual focusing is a very minor inconvenience.

fish_shooter

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2013, 01:07:23 AM »
Check out Lloyd's blog:
http://diglloyd.com/index.html
He is major league live view focuser so MF is not an issue. He is a very critical reviewer and finds faults with almost all gear.
Tom

Jim Saunders

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2013, 01:39:07 AM »
Four large to take cat photos?  We are well-trained aren't we? ;D

Jim
I'd probably do better to invest more time and less money.

zlatko

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • http://www.zlatkobatistich.com
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2013, 02:15:31 AM »
Nobody will buy it?  Leica's entire M lens line is manual focus and in the price range of $1,500 to $11,000.  They sell as many as they can make, so photographers certainly do buy expensive manual focus lenses.  Not every photographer has the same needs, or the same budget.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2013, 02:15:31 AM »

Viggo

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2013, 02:37:34 AM »
Nobody will buy it?  Leica's entire M lens line is manual focus and in the price range of $1,500 to $11,000.  They sell as many as they can make, so photographers certainly do buy expensive manual focus lenses.  Not every photographer has the same needs, or the same budget.

"as many as the make" indeed, there's ONE guy putting them together. But the Leica people have a completely different patience than Canikon people do. I used to work at a shop were we sold Leica and if a lens had to be serviced 3 months was FAST, and 5-6 months the average to wait, lol. And here their 24 f1.4 is 8400 usd  ;D
1dx, 17-40 L, 24-70 L II, 85 L II, 200 f2.0 L

zlatko

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • http://www.zlatkobatistich.com
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2013, 02:44:59 AM »

"as many as the make" indeed, there's ONE guy putting them together. But the Leica people have a completely different patience than Canikon people do. I used to work at a shop were we sold Leica and if a lens had to be serviced 3 months was FAST, and 5-6 months the average to wait, lol. And here their 24 f1.4 is 8400 usd  ;D

One guy?  Not really.  And they do sell.  The idea that "no one" will buy a $4k manual focus lens is unfounded.  It won't sell a lot, but it will sell.  The initial samples online look superb, easily comparable with Leica lenses in the same price range.  Based on that, this lens will sell. 

Viggo

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2013, 02:51:45 AM »

One guy?  Not really.  And they do sell.  The idea that "no one" will buy a $4k manual focus lens is unfounded.  It won't sell a lot, but it will sell.  The initial samples online look superb, easily comparable with Leica lenses in the same price range.  Based on that, this lens will sell.

I wasn't really being that literal ::) But you can see the name of the guy who put it together, that says something.

And I have never said the 55 is too expensive, I am the first person who posted about this here lens when I first heard about it and have been waiting a long time for. Unfortunately they took too long so I bought the 200 f2 instead. Someday I will buy the Zeiss, it looks to perform in the way they hyped it.

I saw (almost) the same 3D pop from a 55 image as I get with the 200, and that is waaay above any other 50 I've seen.
1dx, 17-40 L, 24-70 L II, 85 L II, 200 f2.0 L

RGomezPhotos

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • Ricardo Gomez Photography
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2013, 04:47:46 AM »
"The Zeiss Otus 55mm f/1.4 APO-Distagon is without a doubt the finest lens ever produced for a 35mm SLR or DSLR (or rangefinder). It sets a new benchmark."

'Nuff said.
EOS 5D MKII & 50D, Zeiss 50mm f1.4
www.ricardogomezphotography.com

studio1972

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
    • Sarah McDonnell Wedding Photography
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2013, 09:00:19 AM »
This is a lens for more-money-than-sense enthusiasts rather than pros. It was a smart move to give it the OTT price tag as for those types of people the high cost actually makes the lens even more desirable.
Cheshire & Wirral Wedding Photographer

http://sarahmcdonnell.co.uk

Seanlucky

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2013, 11:54:34 AM »
I hate to say it but I do find the lack of autofocus a little bummer at the price point of this lens... Hasselblad and Schneider lenses are at a similar price point (and market according to the review) and offer autofocus. That being said, Zeiss doesn't have much footwork in autofocus, so maybe it's just best they stick with that they know.

I love Zeiss products, own a full set of primes for my Contax 35mm SLR, but this lens isn't in my price point. I'm sure it'll sell though!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2013, 11:54:34 AM »

sanj

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2013, 12:07:07 PM »

And how would you conclude this?

infared

• 5D Mark III
  • Kodak Brownie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2013, 12:36:29 PM »
Well the holidays are just around the corner...so all of you guys know what you can give me as a gift now!  ;D
5D Mark III, Canon 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye, Canon 17mm f/4L TS-E, Canon 16-35mm f/2.8L II, 21mm f/2.8 Zeiss, Sigma 35mm f/1.4, 24-70mm f/2.8 II, 50mm f/1.4 Sigma, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro,70-200mm f/2.8L IS II...1.4x converter III, and some other stuff.....

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2013, 12:36:29 PM »