September 20, 2014, 12:00:37 AM

Author Topic: Zeiss Otus 55 f/1.4 APO-Distagon Review by B&H Photo  (Read 15945 times)

CarlTN

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: Zeiss Otus 55 f/1.4 APO-Distagon Review by B&H Photo
« Reply #60 on: October 16, 2013, 04:49:15 PM »
All this bashing about no AF is simply silly. 
Seriously, just because you do not understand something gives you no cause to bash it.

It's not remotely silly, and I do understand their strategy.  Their strategy is to design more affordable lenses that DO autofocus, and let the likes of Fuji and Sony use them on their cameras.  But when it comes to Nikon and Canon...for some reason they think those shooters prefer manual focus.  We don't, and it's not "silly".  What's silly is a $4000 55mm lens, be it manual or autofocus...no matter how sharp it is.  I'm no stranger to Zeiss EF mount lenses, I have rented two, and would like to purchase a third.  However, the one I want is an ultra wide angle, mostly for landscape...where manual focus makes more sense.  It doesn't make much sense at 55mm.  Sure there are people who like to manually focus these lenses, but how many of them are using lenses that actually do autofocus, and simply using them in the manual mode?  Most of them.  Choice is nicer than no choice, and it's not silly.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #60 on: October 16, 2013, 04:49:15 PM »

mackguyver

• Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Work
« Reply #61 on: October 16, 2013, 04:55:14 PM »
All this bashing about no AF is simply silly. 
Seriously, just because you do not understand something gives you no cause to bash it.

It's not remotely silly, and I do understand their strategy.  Their strategy is to design more affordable lenses that DO autofocus, and let the likes of Fuji and Sony use them on their cameras.  But when it comes to Nikon and Canon...for some reason they think those shooters prefer manual focus.  We don't, and it's not "silly".  What's silly is a $4000 55mm lens, be it manual or autofocus...no matter how sharp it is.  I'm no stranger to Zeiss EF mount lenses, I have rented two, and would like to purchase a third.  However, the one I want is an ultra wide angle, mostly for landscape...where manual focus makes more sense.  It doesn't make much sense at 55mm.  Sure there are people who like to manually focus these lenses, but how many of them are using lenses that actually do autofocus, and simply using them in the manual mode?  Most of them.  Choice is nicer than no choice, and it's not silly.
I agree with you on the focal length.  I find wide and long lenses the easiest to manually focus with which is why my 50 1.2 went off to eBay land.  I'm looking forward to their next Otus lens, hopefully it will be the 21mm.  Not sure I would pay that much for it, but maybe if it's out of this world. 
EOS 1D X, 5DIII, M + EF 24 f/1.4II, 50 f/1.2, 85 f/1.2II, 300 f/2.8 IS II || 16-35 f/4 IS, 24-70 f/2.8II, 70-200 f/2.8II || TS-E 17 f/4, 24 f/3.5II || M 22 f/2, M 11-22 f/4-5.6 IS | 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 IS || 1.4x III, 2x III
I only shoot at ISO 100 with perfect technique - should I get a Nikon?

Eldar

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 16, 2013, 05:01:07 PM »
Well, I confess to being one of the idiots, paying obscene amounts of money for a manual focus lens. I just ordered one and I am really looking forward to get my hands on it  ;D

For those of you who don't want it and don't understand how anyone else would want it, go and do something else than irritate yourselves on this thread. And for the record, I do use AF on most of my other lenses ...
5DIII, 1DX, 8-15/4L, 16-35 f4L IS, 24-70/2.8L II, 70-200/2.8L IS II, 70-300/4-5.6L IS, 200-400/4L IS 1.4x, Zeiss 15/2.8, 17/4L TS-E, Zeiss 21/2.8, 24/3.5L TS-E II, Sigma 35/1.4 Art, Zeiss Otus 55/1.4, 85/1.2L II, 100/2.8L IS Macro, Zeiss 135/2, 600/4L IS II

Eli

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • http://500px.com/elindaire
« Reply #63 on: October 16, 2013, 05:55:17 PM »
Well, I confess to being one of the idiots, paying obscene amounts of money for a manual focus lens. I just ordered one and I am really looking forward to get my hands on it  ;D

For those of you who don't want it and don't understand how anyone else would want it, go and do something else than irritate yourselves on this thread. And for the record, I do use AF on most of my other lenses ...

Holy cow, grats! Can't wait to see some images produced from it..
I just sold my 50L and bought a Zeiss 50 f2 Makro and LOVE LOVE LOVE it to bits. I've never used manual focus prior, but after seeing the images from my Zeiss, I couldn't care less about no auto focus, plus it allows me to slow down a tad and channel my creativity rather than run and gun photos. And if I were shooting photos of fast moving subjects, such as kids, I'd just use my 24-70 ii or 70-200 is ii as I'd need more DOF anyway.

Viggo

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 16, 2013, 05:55:37 PM »

Review!  ;D
1dx, 24-70 L II, 50 Art, 200 f2.0 L

zlatko

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
    • http://www.zlatkobatistich.com
« Reply #65 on: October 16, 2013, 07:41:17 PM »

I just sold my 50L and bought a Zeiss 50 f2 Makro and LOVE LOVE LOVE it to bits. I've never used manual focus prior, but after seeing the images from my Zeiss, I couldn't care less about no auto focus, plus it allows me to slow down a tad and channel my creativity rather than run and gun photos. And if I were shooting photos of fast moving subjects, such as kids, I'd just use my 24-70 ii or 70-200 is ii as I'd need more DOF anyway.

Interesting!  What do you love about the Zeiss 50/2 Makro vs. the 50L?

Pi

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Math and Photography
« Reply #66 on: October 16, 2013, 07:52:17 PM »
This is an interesting article about the Zeiss 135 vs Canon 135, http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2013/04/zeiss-ze-135mm-f2-vs-canon-135mm-f2l

Testing resolution on either of those lenses is a completely pointless exercise.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #66 on: October 16, 2013, 07:52:17 PM »

jm

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
    • John McKay Photography
« Reply #67 on: October 16, 2013, 07:58:07 PM »
looks awsm, but being slightly visually challenged, manual focus can be a bit hit and miss for me, so I'll give the Otus a miss. but the shots I've seen look awsm.

CarlTN

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 16, 2013, 09:15:32 PM »

I agree with you on the focal length.  I find wide and long lenses the easiest to manually focus with which is why my 50 1.2 went off to eBay land.  I'm looking forward to their next Otus lens, hopefully it will be the 21mm.  Not sure I would pay that much for it, but maybe if it's out of this world.

Glad someone can agree with me!  I will agree with you that a very sharp wider angle lens would be even better.  But I wouldn't necessarily need that...and certainly wouldn't spend that kind of a sum on it.

CarlTN

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 16, 2013, 09:17:04 PM »

What body will you be using it on, and for what subject matter?  D800E would be a no-brainer...

CarlTN

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 16, 2013, 09:19:14 PM »
This is an interesting article about the Zeiss 135 vs Canon 135, http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2013/04/zeiss-ze-135mm-f2-vs-canon-135mm-f2l

Testing resolution on either of those lenses is a completely pointless exercise.

+1

Danielle

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 16, 2013, 10:13:51 PM »

I'm another who adores zeiss glass. No I wouldn't want autofocus on it either. Manual focus isn't that hard to me at all, I shoot journalism and all manner of things on my 2/35 distagon. Manual focus has never gotten in my way and the results speak for themselves which it would on this new Otis lens, definitely. I can completely understand those who wouldn't like the manual focus idea, but trust me, there's a market for them.

Eldar

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 17, 2013, 03:03:36 AM »

What body will you be using it on, and for what subject matter?  D800E would be a no-brainer...
He he, this is of course where I show my trust in Canon  ::)

At the moment I have the 1DX and 5DIII, so none of them will test this lens to its limits. But I expect Canon to step up to the challenge and deliver a high megapixel body, with improved DR(!!) in the near future. Today Sony, Nikon, Sigma and even Leica provides higher resolution FF sensor, with better DR, than Canon.  Canon is the market leader (volume and financial performance) today, but it might be that they should look at what happened to Nokia and is about to happened to iPhone and a long list of other market leaders when they fell asleep at the weel, fat and self content.

I actually thought of buying an 800E body, just to see and get the immediate effect of improved resolution and DR, but I have too much invested in Canon glass and I want full compatibility between my bodies and lenses. I cross my fingers and hope that we will see a 3D/5DIV body with +40MP sensor during 2014. I doubt we will see a 1DXI in that perspective. In the mean time I’ll practice my manual focusing skills  :P

PS! Canon; My patience (and several with me) has an expiration date you should be concerned with!
5DIII, 1DX, 8-15/4L, 16-35 f4L IS, 24-70/2.8L II, 70-200/2.8L IS II, 70-300/4-5.6L IS, 200-400/4L IS 1.4x, Zeiss 15/2.8, 17/4L TS-E, Zeiss 21/2.8, 24/3.5L TS-E II, Sigma 35/1.4 Art, Zeiss Otus 55/1.4, 85/1.2L II, 100/2.8L IS Macro, Zeiss 135/2, 600/4L IS II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #72 on: October 17, 2013, 03:03:36 AM »

Lichtgestalt

« Reply #73 on: October 17, 2013, 05:47:30 AM »
PS! Canon; My patience (and several with me) has an expiration date you should be concerned with!

huooouuhh... i can already hear chattering of teeth in japan...  LOL

Eldar

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 18, 2013, 03:26:31 AM »

huooouuhh... i can already hear chattering of teeth in japan...  LOL
He he, I don’t believe they will lose their sleep over me. In fact, as individuals we don't scare Canon very much. But if you read more of the posts on other threads, you see a growing discontent amongst the CR members, for losing ground to the competition in the areas that are important to us. In general we are happy with the lenses, but we are not happy with the bodies.
 I’m not sure we are big enough as a group to make much of a difference, but we have impact way beyond the equipment we buy ourselves. Canon should worry about the fact that I, and lots of other CR members, advice lots of people every year, on what to buy.  And I would guess that somewhere around 20-30 of those asking for advice actually buy cameras, lenses and accessories. If I stop recommending Canon and recommend Sony, Nikon or something else instead and a large number of members on this forum are doing the same, it will have an impact they should take very seriously.
The road to becoming the Nokia of the photography world is not that long ...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #74 on: October 18, 2013, 03:26:31 AM »