July 26, 2014, 01:41:56 AM

Author Topic: Canon LP-E6 Product Advisory  (Read 9311 times)

Dantana

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Re: Canon LP-E6 Product Advisory
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2013, 01:56:12 PM »
After reading this, I don't feel quite so insane.

I recently took the plunge on a 6D kit. It arrived at my office, I took it home at lunch and put the battery on to charge and went back to my office. When I got home that night the light was still blinking orange and the battery had no charge when I put it in the camera. I switched outlets with the charger and set it to charge again. It was fine after that.

I had been thinking that I somehow inserted it improperly (which seems almost impossible) or that there was something wrong with the original outlet (even though I use it all the time). Nice to know it was a super-drained battery.
6D, 20 2.8, 35 2.0, 40 2.8, 85 1.8, 200 2.8L, 24-105 4L, Speedlite 430EX II, Rokinon 14 2.8

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2013, 01:56:12 PM »

JohnUSA

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2013, 06:34:17 PM »
The problem is the charger that comes with the 5D3 is different than the 5D2. The 5D3 charger most definitely was 'upgraded' to prevent working/charging third-party batteries such as the four Maxial batteries I have. The Maxial batteries charge fine on my 5D2 charger.

I purchased Wasabi batteries and they charge fine on both chargers.

I should add even the 5D3 charger had difficulty charging Canon batteries. A quick ride to Canon Service Center in NJ fixed that as they just handed me a new charger.

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2013, 02:00:53 AM »
The problem is the charger that comes with the 5D3 is different than the 5D2. The 5D3 charger most definitely was 'upgraded' to prevent working/charging third-party batteries such as the four Maxial batteries I have. The Maxial batteries charge fine on my 5D2 charger.

Interesting, you're the first one to verify my suspicions from above. Does your 3rd party battery show up as genuine in your 5d3 camera, i.e. has it a newer/working chip?

JohnUSA

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2013, 04:55:42 PM »
The 5D3 will display the "Unknown battery..." warning with my two year old Maximal batteries, but the batteries will work fine and camera will remember/register the batteries. The newer Wasabi batteries there is no warning. The Wasabi batteries are about 3+ months old.

Here's the model numbers of both LC-E6 chargers:
ZFAD - Came with the 5D2 and will charge the Maximal and Wasabi batteries with no problem
AJBC - Came with the 5D3 and will charge the new Wasabi batteries but not the Maximal batteries.

I think I burnt out the first 5D3 charger by letting the Maximal battery charge for hours and the battery actually drained to zero. It's so convenient having a 35 minute drive to Canon's service center. As mentioned they replaced it on the spot, no waiting.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 05:25:16 PM by JohnUSA »

LookingThroughMyLens81

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2013, 07:51:56 PM »
My brand new SterlingTek batteries won't even work in my 5D3 any more after the last firmware upgrade and the two Canon batteries I just bought to replace them won't charge in my SterlingTek battery chargers or my other third-party charger nor will the original Canon battery that came with my 5D3 charge in anything but the charger that came with the camera. It's gotten frustrating!

verysimplejason

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2013, 11:51:21 PM »
Just bought a 6D and a third party battery for backup.  I've charged the original LP-E6 with no problem.  However, the third party battery didn't charge even when I've done the same procedure as written by the OP.  I've exchanged it with another third party battery and same thing happened.  Finally, I've just added a some money and get another original.  However, the store where I bought it tested it both original and third party battery in a third party charger and both worked.  I guess it's true that the Canon charger is doing some confirmation if your battery is original or not.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 11:53:33 PM by verysimplejason »

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2013, 03:02:48 AM »
Just bought a 6D and a third party battery for backup.  I've charged the original LP-E6 with no problem.  However, the third party battery didn't charge even when I've done the same procedure as written by the OP.  I've exchanged it with another third party battery and same thing happened.  Finally, I've just added a some money and get another original.

Oh my, so you did just what Canon wanted you to do, amazing how this works esp. given the large price difference for essentially the same product. I seem to have been lucky, my ebay LP-E6 works fine in my 6D (I didn't unpack the new charger though).

I think it's important to look for offers that advertise "newest chip" or "work with newest cameras", as you can then return them in case it doesn't charge or isn't recognized.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2013, 03:02:48 AM »

verysimplejason

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2013, 09:43:11 AM »
Just bought a 6D and a third party battery for backup.  I've charged the original LP-E6 with no problem.  However, the third party battery didn't charge even when I've done the same procedure as written by the OP.  I've exchanged it with another third party battery and same thing happened.  Finally, I've just added a some money and get another original.

Oh my, so you did just what Canon wanted you to do, amazing how this works esp. given the large price difference for essentially the same product. I seem to have been lucky, my ebay LP-E6 works fine in my 6D (I didn't unpack the new charger though).

I think it's important to look for offers that advertise "newest chip" or "work with newest cameras", as you can then return them in case it doesn't charge or isn't recognized.

Well, I think it's worth it I suppose.  We're using several original LP-E6 in my part-time job/hobby for more than 4 years and they're still working and charging optimally while most of the third party batteries we were using as backups had failed already.  I think it's worth it at the end of the day...  but still, it hurts my pockets.  Oh well, taking pictures with my 6D seems to ease up most of the pain.  I can't define it but 6D IQ is a lot different from my 5D2 and Ti1 shots...  Almost little to no PP is required.  The metering and the IQ are just way ahead of those other two cameras.  Ooops, sorry, can't contain my excitement.  :)

JohnUSA

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2013, 07:36:54 PM »
Seems to me going forward with the new Canon chargers... buy third-party batteries with third-party chargers to ensure some kind of compatibility.

As mentioned the best LP-E6 third-party battery that will charge with the newer 5D3 Canon charger is the Wasabi. Will the Wasabi battery charge with the next Canon charger and will it work/register with next camera is anyone's guess.

Bennymiata

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2013, 08:04:24 PM »
If you do want to use aftermarket LP-E6 batteries in your factory charger, they MUST have a facsimile of the Canon chip in the battery, otherwise the factory charger won't work.
I buy some aftermarket batteries straight from a small factory in Sydney, and they do put a copy of the Canon chip in the packs, and they work just like OEM Canon batteries.
If your battery pack does not have the correct chip in it, the factory charger that comes with the 5D3 or newer cameras just won't work at all, and may actually end up flattening your aftermarket battery.
However, if you have non-chipped batteries, just buy an aftermarket charger.
Many of the cheap Chinese web sites selling copy LP-E6 batteries actually supply an AC charger with each battery because they won't work with the newer Canon chargers.

Even the non-chipped batteries will work in your 5D3 or 6D etc., but you might not get accurate, indeed any, battery monitoring.

CarlTN

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2013, 12:38:43 PM »
Just bought a 6D and a third party battery for backup.  I've charged the original LP-E6 with no problem.  However, the third party battery didn't charge even when I've done the same procedure as written by the OP.  I've exchanged it with another third party battery and same thing happened.  Finally, I've just added a some money and get another original.  However, the store where I bought it tested it both original and third party battery in a third party charger and both worked.  I guess it's true that the Canon charger is doing some confirmation if your battery is original or not.

The simple cure for that is to get a third party charger like I did...came with two Wasabi batteries.  I've not tried to charge the Wasabi in the Canon charger, for fear of it contracting some kind of disease...

LookingThroughMyLens81

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2013, 03:01:51 PM »
Canon has definitely killed third-party batteries with the new firmware updates. My 5D3 won't even give an error message with my SterlingTek batteries before shutting down like it did with the last firmware update, it just becomes a brick with the batteries installed. I don't think SterlingTek will take the batteries back but I have definitely warned them of the problem.

Zen

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2013, 04:14:58 PM »
This is like using a "Pep Boys" fuel injector in a Jaguar! Why in the world would anyone take the time and go to the expense to buy a "good" camera, and then load it up with sub-standard accessories? Why not just buy Canon batteries? The $20 price difference is insignificant compared to the value of the gear you have . . .

If Canon continually disappoints, then take the alternative route: Switch!

Zen :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2013, 04:14:58 PM »

eos650

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2013, 05:28:27 PM »
It's not realistic to label all 3rd party batteries as sub-standard. Sometimes you get crap, even from Canon. If throwing your hard earned cash out the window makes you feel better, buy Canon batteries. I'm perfectly comfortable with 3rd party batteries. I have used a few different brands.

I can get 4 Wasabi batteries and two chargers including car adapters for the price of one Canon battery. In use, my 3rd party batteries have been in distinguishable from my Canon batteries. They last as long and are fully recognized and functional with all of my cameras (2 x 5D III, 2 x 5D II, 7D and 60D).

It's not uncommon for me to go out packing three or four bodies for a full day shoot. I will also take along a half dozen or so spare batteries. I always carry extra batteries, just in case, but rarely need them.

Everyone has their own opinions about what's important and we also have our own comfort zones.

That said, I'll save my money for something I do consider worthwhile... Better glass...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2013, 05:28:27 PM »