September 22, 2014, 10:41:46 PM

Author Topic: Canon Tilt-Shift Updates [CR1]  (Read 5238 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
Canon Tilt-Shift Updates [CR1]
« on: October 10, 2013, 03:25:08 PM »

New Tilt-Shift lenses?

I’ve received a few bits of information about new L tilt-shift lenses from Canon. We’ve heard there would be a direct replacement for the 45mm f/2.8 and it would be an L. We’ve heard that the 90mm f/2.8 would be replaced with a TS-E 135mm f/2.8L. This is not the first time we’ve heard that the 90 tilt-shift would get a longer focal length.

We also understand that Canon is redesigning the shift mechanism on the new tilt-shift lenses and that they won’t share the same design as the TS-E 17 f/4L and TS-E 24 f/3.5L II. I would gladly welcome a more reliable design to the shift unit, and hopefully Canon can make the new lenses a bit less prone to broken knobs and other issues that I have seen.

I asked if updates to the TS-E 17 f/4L and TS-E 24 f/3.5L II were likely if a new design is seen as more reliable and I was told it would be unlikely beyond some stealth updates. Design changes can be implemented in lenses over the years they’re in production.

cr

canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

Canon Tilt-Shift Updates [CR1]
« on: October 10, 2013, 03:25:08 PM »

KAS

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Afterglow Images - Niagara Weddings and Portraits
Re: Canon Tilt-Shift Updates [CR1]
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2013, 03:33:25 PM »
Very excited about the prospect of a new TS-E 45. The current 45 is my least sharp/contrasty lens.  Plus, I would definitely welcome better controls over the tilt/shift mechanisms. Maybe locking at positions other than 90 degrees?

TomazK

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2013, 03:37:33 PM »
The new mechanism could be something similar to Schneider ?

http://www.schneiderkreuznach.com/photo-imaging/produktbereiche/fotoobjektive/produkte/dslr-objektive/tiltshift-objektive/

Hopefully the prices won't be too high.  ... and pigs fly :D

Canon 1Ds mk3, 17-40f/4.0L, 24-70 f/2.8L, 70-200f/2.8L, 50f/1.4, 100f/2.8 macro, flashes&stuff

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2013, 03:45:06 PM »
How about something clever like a autofocus tilt-shift.  I wonder if the dual pixel technology might make this possible.  Certainly, its not do-able with conventional tilt - shift.  My eyes just won't let me focus manually any longer.

mackguyver

• Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Work
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2013, 04:23:02 PM »
Quote from: TomazK link=topic=17399.msg322454#msg322454 date=1381433853
Hopefully the prices won't be too high.  ... and pigs fly :D
[/quote
At the rate Canon's been going, the new Zeiss may soon seem like a bargain ;)
EOS 1D X, 5DIII, M + EF 24 f/1.4II, 50 f/1.2, 85 f/1.2II, 300 f/2.8 IS II || 16-35 f/4 IS, 24-70 f/2.8II, 70-200 f/2.8II || TS-E 17 f/4, 24 f/3.5II || M 22 f/2, M 11-22 f/4-5.6 IS | 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 IS || 1.4x III, 2x III
I only shoot at ISO 100 with perfect technique - should I get a Nikon?

Halfrack

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2013, 04:24:09 PM »
While I understand why wide lenses need to be designed for it, how about an adapter that would allow for T/S on any EF lens?  Hasselblad has a slick setup in their HTS 1.5 setup, and while it's no technical camera, the ability to use different lenses is nice.  Toss in the electrical connections for focus and such, and you could get some really interesting stuff.

http://www.hasselbladusa.com/products/h-system/hts-15.aspx
Too bad Hasselblad hasn't figured out how to sell their products and actually have example photos and such...
"Me owning a lens shop is kind of like having an alcoholic bar tender." - Roger Cicala

mackguyver

• Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Work
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2013, 04:31:39 PM »
While I understand why wide lenses need to be designed for it, how about an adapter that would allow for T/S on any EF lens?  Hasselblad has a slick setup in their HTS 1.5 setup, and while it's no technical camera, the ability to use different lenses is nice.  Toss in the electrical connections for focus and such, and you could get some really interesting stuff.

Too bad Hasselblad hasn't figured out how to sell their products and actually have example photos and such...
I don't think the image circle on standard EF lenses is big enough (or bright enough) to do this kind of thing.  I guess the Hassy lenses are already overdesigned with huge image circles.  Perhaps it could work to a limited extent with EF lenses on a crop body, but most crop users wouldn't be interested, I suppose.
EOS 1D X, 5DIII, M + EF 24 f/1.4II, 50 f/1.2, 85 f/1.2II, 300 f/2.8 IS II || 16-35 f/4 IS, 24-70 f/2.8II, 70-200 f/2.8II || TS-E 17 f/4, 24 f/3.5II || M 22 f/2, M 11-22 f/4-5.6 IS | 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 IS || 1.4x III, 2x III
I only shoot at ISO 100 with perfect technique - should I get a Nikon?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2013, 04:31:39 PM »

9VIII

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2013, 05:37:30 PM »

I don't think the image circle on standard EF lenses is big enough (or bright enough) to do this kind of thing.  I guess the Hassy lenses are already overdesigned with huge image circles.  Perhaps it could work to a limited extent with EF lenses on a crop body, but most crop users wouldn't be interested, I suppose.

EOS-M tilt adapter? I like it!

Just one more reason those cameras are a good idea.
-100% RAW-

LetTheRightLensIn

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2013, 06:52:37 PM »
Certainly, its not do-able with conventional tilt - shift.  My eyes just won't let me focus manually any longer.

Use liveview 10x with one of those video shooting attachments to project the LCD larger onto your eye (you could even just use a couple rubber bands to hold on a less expensive Hoodman stills attachement). Now way to do it easily or well through VF no matter how good your eyes are. Or maybe reading glasses would help if you don't want to use a Hoodman sort of attachment.

Drizzt321

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Aaron Baff Photography
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2013, 07:04:01 PM »

Yup, probably the reason.

And for the Hasselblad, not certain, but their lenses might all be designed for 6x6 or 6x4.5 and their sensors are all somewhat smaller than that. So they have a larger image circle to begin with, which lets them make an adapter like that.
5D mark 2, 5D mark 3, EF 17-40mm f/4L,  EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 85mm f/1.8
Film Cameras: Mamiya RB67, RB-50, RB-180-C, RB-90-C, RB-50, Perkeo I folder, Mamiya Six Folder (Pre-WWII model)
http://www.aaronbaff.com

Rick

• Canon AE-1
  • Dual Platform
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2013, 07:52:19 AM »

<p>We also understand that Canon is redesigning the shift mechanism on the new tilt-shift lenses and that they won’t share the same design... I would gladly welcome a more reliable design to the shift unit, and hopefully Canon can make the new lenses a bit less prone to broken knobs and other issues that I have seen.</p>

Problem with the shift mechanism on the TSE-17? News to me.
5D2, 5D3, D3x, D800E, TSE17, 100L, 14-24G, 24-70G, 24-70 II, 70-200/4 IS, CZ 18 ZF, CZ 2.8/25 ZF, CZ 2/28 ZF, CZ 2/35 ZF, CZ 2/50 ZF

Ellen Schmidtee

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2013, 08:20:06 AM »
Pardon my ignorance, but what would be the point of a tilt-shift lens with such a long focal length?

If a whole building can be covered by a 135mm lens, I'd imagine a somewhat shorter focal length and moving the camera up & down with the tripod's central column.

For macro, IIRC neuro has written the TS-E lenses would need an unrealistic tilt range.

rambarra

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2013, 08:26:22 AM »
something is happening with the TS-E17 and TS-E24 too. maybe some minor update as suggested. both of them have not been available from my usual hk lens suppliers already since a few weeks
« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 08:32:11 AM by rambarra »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2013, 08:26:22 AM »

Kwanon

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2013, 11:59:25 AM »
Finally some good news for me. I love the TS-E lenses.

We have had this same rumour for quite a while popping up..
I want an actual announcement.

privatebydesign

• Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2013, 12:29:35 PM »
Pardon my ignorance, but what would be the point of a tilt-shift lens with such a long focal length?

If a whole building can be covered by a 135mm lens, I'd imagine a somewhat shorter focal length and moving the camera up & down with the tripod's central column.

For macro, IIRC neuro has written the TS-E lenses would need an unrealistic tilt range.

Product photography, a cereal box is just like a building, but if you want to see the top of it and not have keystoning you need shift, same for watches, tilt so your plane of focus is on the watchface, arty falloff everywhere else but you don't need the watch to be perpendicular to the camera.

As for the tilt mechanism, that has always been Canon's weak spot, besides 8º it nowhere near enough for a 135mm tilt lens, it will at least 20º to compete with movement cameras (though I doubt it will get it) also the tilt mechanism needs to be geared much better so finer adjustment is possible. As for the current mechanism being unreliable, I'd argue that, the only people who breaks knobs off them are the people too stupid to take the locks off, they are easy to break then, but still need a lot of force.
The best time to plant a tree is twenty-five years ago. The second best time is today.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2013, 12:29:35 PM »